Print Thread
Hop To
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
As the title indicates the last pieces to my puzzle on my first build are the barrel and gas. Any tips / pointers? Thanks.
AR

ARIC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Larue has a sale on barrels. Ive seen some great groups posted about them

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TLB2
Larue has a sale on barrels. Ive seen some great groups posted about them

Being that this is probably going to be my only build, mindset as of now, I probably should have splurged on a better barrel but I already bought a Spinta. Spinta . Does anyone have any experience with Spinta? This is the one piece of my build that I have been questioning the most. I bought a yankee hill low pro gas block, I forget the brand of the tube, and a Midwest m-lock ultraslim rail.

I was looking for pointers and tips with the install itself of the barrel, gas, and handguard. . Thanks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Barrels are easy to change. Ive heard of Sprinta but never tried them. Youtube has plenty of videos on installing barrels.

Do you have a upper receiver vise block and a torque wrench?
I generally torque to 45 pounds on my builds, but depending on the barrel nut on the midwest you may have to go higher on the torque to line up the gas tube.

Does your barrel have a dimple on the bottom to help with aligning the gas block?

Lining up the gas block without a dimple can be a little harder.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://suparms.com/products/750-adjustable-low-pro-solid-gas-block-melonite-finish

I installed one of these last month on a 6.8 build.
Instructions said to not jam it up against the shoulder but to back it off a certain amount of 1/000 and I cannot remember; but I had to go buy some feeler guages.

I suppose it is because it will heat up and expand.

I bought the clamp on type because I did not want to wrestle with slamming and bamming a tight fit into place.

I think I paid $87 from Brownells.

Do you have a vice jig-block for upper install work?:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...r-15-upper-receiver-block-prod17094.aspx

They say the rule of thumb on gas blocks is that the gas block hole is oversized so it will have some grace fitting it over the drilled hole in the barrel.

Brownells has video instructions for free on you tube and you can purchase the entire video too.

Last edited by Robert_White; 09/24/16.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DrGnarr
As the title indicates the last pieces to my puzzle on my first build are the barrel and gas. Any tips / pointers? Thanks.
AR

I prefer mid-length gas as it is easier on the rifle. Here is my choice of a barrel; LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
White Oak Armament barrel's

McGowen Precision Barrel's

Black Hole Weaponry barrel's

And I prefer mid length gas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's already bought everything.

I already bought a Spinta. I bought a yankee hill low pro gas block, I forget the brand of the tube, and a Midwest m-lock ultraslim rail.

I was looking for pointers and tips with the install itself of the barrel, gas, and handguard. . Thanks.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I decided to hand it off to a buddy to finish as he has the vice block and experience as he has done this work before. I appreciate everyone's input. Can't wait to shoot it. Here's a pic mocked up, looking good! Mocked up

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
404 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.