Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
One night in the old house I killed a B&C rat with an axe handle I kept by my bed!!! He got one leg caught in a sticky trap. Big damn bastid! Looked like a grinner!

did it hiss at you with blood stained teeth?

piss shiver

No, but it made all kinds of other damn racket!!! However it couldn't stand on his hind legs in defiance as they were entrapped in sticky goo.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I once lived in a beat up trailer in the country and the mice were constantly dying in our trailer. One died in the kitchen and it smelled so bad we couldn't even sniff it out. My roommate went crazy and took the whole kitchen apart looking for it and finally picked up the toaster, turned it over, opened the crumb drawer and pulled out a dead mouse. Then he yelled "I'VE BEEN MAKING TOAST IN THERE ALL WEEK!".

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I once lived in a beat up trailer in the country and the mice were constantly dying in our trailer. One died in the kitchen and it smelled so bad we couldn't even sniff it out. My roommate went crazy and took the whole kitchen apart looking for it and finally picked up the toaster, turned it over, opened the crumb drawer and pulled out a dead mouse. Then he yelled "I'VE BEEN MAKING TOAST IN THERE ALL WEEK!".

laugh

I thought the bread was stale! wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had one stuff my air intake and interior air plenum in a Chevy Cruze full of turkey feathers from a Merriam I got. Kept smelling this odor all the time, took it to the dealer thinking it was some kind of mold. The service tech came and got me to show me what he found. I use those herbal packets now and they might work as they have not come back.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count your blessings. The rats we had in Vietnam were on a whole different level.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While attending TAMU, I had a part time job working at our Lab Animal Research facility. Basically, the job consisted in the care and feeding of all the various animals.
Most of the other employees were very cute Aggie girls who were either Pre-Med or Vet Students, so it was a great College job.

We had more mice than any other animal as at that time, as they were doing research on Recombiant DNA, since they were super fast breeders.
Accordingly, we had to euthanize lots & lots of mice, the job none of the girls wanted to do. So of course, I became the head mouse executioner. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/25/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Friday night I was fast asleep and (as usual), my two canids were having the normal occasional yelling match with the Coyotes,... far in the backround,...the sorta' thing one subconsciously seems to turn the volume down on. Around 11 PM that changed, and alarm, anger and VOLUME were evident,...Golly,...Snake, stupid adolescent Coyote jumped the fence, Raccoon,...stray dogs ( or ferals) right on the fence line ? ....sigh, don sweatshirt, and mocs, grab flashlight,...sally forth to see.
None of the above, STRONGLY advised in the olfactory mode of same, directly I open the door,...the place has taken a direct hit from a Skunk, and it's evident that my little Cattle Dog Nip's been in the target area, she's madly rubbing her nose and face in the grass,...butt up in the air, rear legs driving, shoulders front legs and face driven and dragging. The old Queensland Heeler bitch, Grace is ROARING at some thick stuff over by the water well. I foolishly illuminate little Zorillo, and with a coughing snarl more like a lion than a dog, Gracey's got the skunk in her jaws, and runs off into the dark,....North, down the fenceline. Damn near choking in the stinking night air, I retreat into my humble abode, and return to bed......what's left of the night goes dead quiet, and the aftermath of this rank event can be dealt with in daylight.

Breath deeply,....Ah, fresh night air, and life in a rural setting.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/25/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You have my genuine sympathies frown frown

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope you have some hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, Greg!

BTDT. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a dead one in my camping trailer right now, that I have not found as of yet. I guess that I will have to start taking things apart, but don't have a clue where to start. I looked in all the easy places and did not find it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good girl Gracey....that Skunk had it coming.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
You have my genuine sympathies frown frown

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.

This actually panned out pretty good,...a brief morning service saw Zorillo in an unmarked posthole, no mourners attending. Both of the skunked were demonstrating that behavior from which the term, "Hangdog Look" springs.
Saturday was a good sunny day, and by evening I was able to pet both of em' without having to consider a hand amputation thereafter.
Pretty amazing what the Sun does to whatever that Skunk essence is,...it must be really volatile.

I'm using "Just One Bite" bars, wired into 18" lengths of 2" ABS pipe, and the packets of grain in the parked equipment / vehicles. Thus far only had to deal with one Corpus Rodentious Stinkomatus this year,...it kindly chose to go tits up in a place fairly easy to find (follow the flies) in the tool and parts crib.

Over the last coupla' years, real honest to God Norway Rats have been turning up out here,...`they have certainly taking a beating on my place, ...nowheres NEAR as bright as a Pack Rat.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having quite a few skunks cruise through lately. Caught 7 so far and the dog has been skunked twice. Skunks are to dogs what doughnuts are to a fat guy. 'they just can't help it'. My problem is really a dog problem as the skunks aren't doing much. Pack rats on the other hand are pests.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Better skunks than porcupines. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Whew, dead mice in a vacuum, pungent!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.