24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A local guy has a Remington 700 7/08 for sale for a reasonable price if it is just a plain old 700. It might be a great price if it is a KS or something else. I saw a couple of pictures the other day. It has a hinged floor plate. The stock looks to be a dark grey and not a standard tupperwear. I sent the serial number to Remington and they told me that it was made in 1976; but, since it's that old, they do not have any records beyond that. This takes me to my question. Is there anything specific to look for to tell me if it is a KS or some other "more valuable" version of the 700? Having owned fiberglass and kevlar stocks, obviously weight will be the first indicator. Is there anything else for which I can look to help me identify whether I am getting a reasonable, good or great deal? Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it a model 7?? Pretty sure the only "KS" rifles done in 7MM-08 would probably be with the model 7 action. Nice rifle but not sure if the KS was available in the 70's?? I know they also built what I think was called a RS - heavier stock and don't think that one came out of the Custom Shop like the KS did. Also, pretty positive that they where all ADL.
Any pics??

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 09/27/16.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think, emphasis on think, that was the era when Remington cataloged the 700 AS, Arylon Stock, and 700 RS, Rynite Stock. The 700 AS has a Six Enterprises stock and the 700 RS has a Choate stock, but I'm not sure how to differentiate between them.

What is the assembly code on the left side of the barrel, 2 letters stamped just ahead of the receiver that indicate the month and year that the rifle was assembled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first non wood 700's were 90 or 91. If the safety locks the bolt it is around mid 80's or older. If it is a good deal, and you want it, buy it. Do not wait to find out if you are stealing it, someone else will steal it first.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
remington introduced the 7mm-08 after the date you stated it was manufactured in to my knowledge....and the ks models were not made in that time frame either

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pics would be helpful... They did not catalog any short action 700 KS that I am aware of (although McMillan did make a special run of short action KS stocks...)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a Custom Shop M7. I had one in 7/08

IIRC it had a 20" barrel.

Nice synthetic stock although I can't recall who made it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O.K. Here's what I know. I don't have a picture. I wrote down the information from the picture on a friend's cell phone. It is definitely a Model 700, according to the stamp on the receiver. It is definitely a 7/08 according to the stamp on the barrel. I sent the serial number to Remington to get what information they could provide. Here is the response they sent to me:

"According to the serial number you provided, your model 700 was manufactured in 1976. Unfortunately, our database only provided a year of manufacture for these older 700's. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have a great day."

The only other thing I know is that the stock looks like my Kimber Montana or my Brown Precision, texture wise in a dark grey. I'm wondering if it might have been a custom build.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What cartridge did remington tell you it left the factory chambered for?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O.K. I got ahold of my friend and he sent me the picture he had taken for me of the serial number. By the way, the picture got cut off; but, it clearly says Model 700. Here it is:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TheBigSky; 09/27/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
What cartridge did remington tell you it left the factory chambered for?

See the quote above. They said, the only records they have for rifles that old was year of manufacture.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Remington first began offering the 7mm-08 in the M700 (and M788) in 1980. I have an A prefix 700 with a barrel code of BA (Jan. 1980). The barrel on that gun does not appear to be factory....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Also, the 700s I've seen/have are stamped "7MM-08 REM"
I'd agree with pj that it is not factory barrel.
Is it adl? Can't tell much about stock from that pic.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is BDL/w/floorplate. I thought that the barrel stamp might look aftermarket too. I'm meeting with the guy tomorrow. I know some older McMillan stocks had "McMillan" stamped inside. It seems most stock manufacturers don't put any indicator as to who they are. Does anybody have any good ideas on making that determination?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 700KS all had a cheekpiece, ADL, long action, and painted gray.

The FS had no cheekpiece and painted gray, not certain about bottom metal.

Both were made with Brown Precision stocks.

The paint job in the picture does not look right to me for a Brown Precision. It looks more like an aftermarket B&C.

The 7-08 was introduced by Remington in 1980. Your barrel is not a Remington barrel, and is not even a custom shop barrel either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As per others postings.

Your 700 has a Remington action. Everything else is someone else's.

I don't think you have a collector. But you may very well have a very good shooter. Judge the stock/rifle by how it fits you, balance etc.

Is the rifle the weight you want? Is the barrel the right length for you?Is the bolt pock marked?

There are collectable Remingtons but not like Winchesters. And even the collectable Remingtons don't bring prices in the thousands.

If that rifle looks and feels right and the price us right, don't hesitate!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well someone beat me to it; but, I was able to talk to the guy who bought it because of my curiosity. Thank you all for your input by the way. I figured because of your input, I would share what I found. The rifle has an E.R. Shaw barrel with 20 rounds fired and an HS Precision stock and a stock trigger. The buyer says if he decides his son doesn't want or like it, he will offer it to me first. So, I never got my hands on it. Mystery solved however and thanks all for your input.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.