Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My only .17 experience has been with the Fireball.

Mostly I like to load boat tails for varmints in my .22s.

I chamfer my cases, but sometimes those flat base bullets tip sideways in the mouth when I run the ram up. Boat tails seems to stay put better. If you had one tip to the side they would still load, just cut part of the plastic tip off. That is if you did not feel the resistance and balance the bullet better.

On my .17 Fireball I am using Hornady dies with the sliding seater. Works a charm with the V maxes.

I am MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have loaded right at 100 working on loads. I did notice right off the bat that none of the cases had been chamfered, that was the first thing I did. I have had no problems.
I was fortunate enough to have been gifted a pile of once fired Hornady brass before I even had thoughts of playing with this case. Most all of them had the crimped primer. I took care of that as well.
I read some where the early brass had some splitting issues. I have been working with a batch of 30 cases. Some of them have been neck sized or partial sized 5-6 times with no sign of any issues.
Has this been taken care of? I didn't notice any comments from anyone here on annealing.
Jeff

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't had any problems with split cases, but have a bunch of brass, and the most any have been loaded is 2-3 times.

Some of the early cases used in factory ammo had "shallow" primer pockets, only discovered when somebody tried to reload them and standard small-rifle primers wouldn't seat deeply enough. The pockets weren't just slightly shallow, but a LOT, with only about 3/4 of the primer entering the pocket.

I never encountered this in any of the factory ammo I shot, or in unfired brass, but did run into some after purchasing a batch of once-fired cases off the Campfire Classifieds. About 2/3 had shallow pockets so I "uniformed" them, and they work fine.

What I've since wondered, however, is where Hornady got primers to fit those shallow pockets?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
JSHKS

The primary situation I have seen and or experienced cracked necks with the 17HH occurred early in the introduction of this cartridge when 17HH brass was not readily available.

With that situation some were making their own 17HH, formed from 22 Hornet brass. with the more radical forming process some neck and shoulder splitting occurred. With the more radical forming process, annealing b4 first firing was / is highly beneficial.

I was aware of primer pocket concerns with the early ammo. Neck splits was not an issue with the early ammo to my understanding. Annealing job is not often nessisary yet occationaly when done properly may go a long ways to prolonging brass life.

My favorite 17 HH load has been near max A2200 as a preferred propellant under a 25 grain HP or V-max.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I haven't had any problems with split cases, but have a bunch of brass, and the most any have been loaded is 2-3 times.

Some of the early cases used in factory ammo had "shallow" primer pockets, only discovered when somebody tried to reload them and standard small-rifle primers wouldn't seat deeply enough. The pockets weren't just slightly shallow, but a LOT, with only about 3/4 of the primer entering the pocket.

I never encountered this in any of the factory ammo I shot, or in unfired brass, but did run into some after purchasing a batch of once-fired cases off the Campfire Classifieds. About 2/3 had shallow pockets so I "uniformed" them, and they work fine.

What I've since wondered, however, is where Hornady got primers to fit those shallow pockets?

I've had issues with gifted once fired Hornady brass in a number of cartridges , i know it was once fired because i was present when it was fired. 44 mag, shallow primer pockets, .308 tight primers pockets so undersized that I could not seat CCI,Win or Rem primers. Of 20 .300 H&H 7 of them had oversized primer pockets primers fell out after seating.

Recently purchased a 77/22 17 H, and will begin with factory ammo.
Couldn't believe its cheaper then loading if you have to purchase new brass.

Here it's $28.00 per box of 25 . $1.12 per round
Bullets are $30.00 per hundred $.30 per round
New Brass is $50.00 per 50 $1.00 per round
Primers are now $7.00 per hundred $.07 per round
$1.37 per round plus powder vs $1.12 per round for factory.

Flyer

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and I've purchased .17 Hornet ammo off the Internet that, with shipping, cost less than $20 a box of 25.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
John,

It was after I read this thread you began, that I started comparing the cost of factory ammo vs reloading. Since 1980 when I began loading, I hadn't purchased any factory ammo . The had only factory ammo that I shot has been given to me or that was included as part of a gun deal.

Tim,

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Flyer, your cost comparison is tough, I feel for you.
I just bought a box of 50 Federal to give a try,$39. Hornady brass was $31.
The brass prices are one reason I try to take extreme measures to take good care of it. It being the only thing we get back after dropping the hammer on a round. This is the main reason I am working with such a small batch doing initial load work.
I am not going to wait until a split or seperate a case, I am going to anneal after this batch is empty. This may or may not raise more issues.
I got to the point with my IHMSA match brass I annealed after the third sizing. I have some 30-30 brass that has been size at least 30 times now.
Getting my machine set up for the 17 will be a chore its self.

Last edited by jshks; 09/26/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jshks
I am going to a meal after this batch is empty.

All this shooting makes me hungry, too.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by jshks
I am going to a meal after this batch is empty.

All this shooting makes me hungry, too.....

Don't you just hate "autocorrect"? crazy

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no. because I proofread before hitting submit.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just love it.
This thing will correct after you hit the submit button.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
be that as it may, I'm still hungry....

H
H
I've actually found the little 17 fairly easy to load for, including handling those little bullets. I use a Hornady die with the sliding collar in the seater, which makes it much easier. I also chamfer the neck inside and out after trimming.
I use a single stage press as well, which probably makes it a bit easier to feel the seating process; no crushed necks at all and I've probably loaded around 250 rounds so far.
I am reusing about 70 cases at a time and am about to load some of them for the 5th time. Now that I've more of a handle of powder selection I expect better life expectancy from my brass. Using Li'l Gun, I had to pitch some cases after the second load because I'd stretched the primer pockets.
Great cartridge, I love it.

I found this thread on a DuckDuckGo search for reloading 17 Hornet. Interesting to say the least on where this caliber has gone in the last few years. The UK boys seam to have picked up on the 17. I have watched several vids from there. I was really impressed with the accuracy & especially how quiet the 17 is.
I retired from my roofing business about 2 yrs ago. I have plenty of time to kill so I have gotten back into the varmint hunting pass-time again. I have always been a varmint hunter here in Tennessee. I grew up when you could ride the country roads in rural TN & the farmers would almost beg you to shoot the groundhogs out of the fence rows in freshly cut hay fields.
Since TWRA introduced coyotes back into the population here & a lot of the farmland is being sold & cutup into subdivisions, the whistle pigs have moved to town.
We have a new varmint that has come into the South in the last few years, the Blackhead Buzzard. They are a nuisance to property owners & farmers & are in this area probably by the thousands.
It reminds me of the situation you boys out West have with the prairy dogs.
When they first started inhabiting the TN skies, they fell under the protected species act, & you couldn't shoot'em. They are a predator species of buzzard, they will attack & kill newborn calves, goats, sheep, etc. The State of TN has in the last couple of years raised the ban on killin'em.
I have taken a personal vendetta against them. I patrol several farmers farms & take them out when I can.
Which brings me to this thread. I have chosen a Savage HMR, & a Savage M-25 in 17 Hornet as my choice of weapon for this newly declared war on them. I love my M-25, super accurate & deadly out to 300 yds on a calm day.
I have been a reloader since 1977. Not a professional as some of you probably are, but I can git-er-dun good enough to meet my needs.
Reloading the 17 is gonna be a mite different than what I am used to with my deer guns.
When I got my 17 from gunbroker.com, I also got a couple cases of Hornady 20 gr V-Max ammo. I have just about shoot all my factory stuff up, so I am gittin ready to start reloading my spent cases. After prepping them I have been putting in the primers & have run into a few issues there. About 1 in 20 will not seat to proper depth. About 1 in a 100 is so loose you can almost shake them out.

Tennessee, the patron state of shootin stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
take another step and uniform pockets....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 'smith? I want to re-barrel a Ruger 77/22H to 17 Hornet.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what scopes have you been using on your 17 hornets?

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
had a bushnell 5-15 on it for years. It puked and got a 3-9 redfield put on. Didn't like that so tossed an old vortex 6.5-20 on it now. Kinda big and clunky, but works well.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.