Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11443543 09/18/16
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, do you all use them? Glassbed? Let it rattle like a worn out Ford Pinto? Maybe a little OCD, but I can't stand it, it's a big reason I don't use my Ren 760. My first AR was RRA, and it does not rattle, I am in the process of buying two cheaper guns and fully expect them to be loose. I do not need the mil-spec speech, and I know it does not hurt anything, I just can't stand using a tool that feels like it has already broken.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/18/16.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that product will lock up the upper tight Dillonbuck. on the site it has instructions on checking if you really need it.
like you i don't like slop but the platform inherent clearances that sometimes are made worse by building with parts being parts.

by the way i had a pinto and really liked it. would like to have it back. probably worn out by now! grin

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/18/16.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am way past trying to impress people. I love machines, and could spend a fortune on cars, if I had a fortune. That said, I hate spending money on daily driving vehicles, a like new car of that era would be something I could keep running a long time, cheaply.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my daily driver is a 52 chev 3000, flatbed. i share it with a pack rat at the moment. the wife says we are kin!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That would be great. Do you have the salt induced rust we deal with? We started using a brine on the roads, it stays on the road for several days after treatment, can event stand up to some rain. No way in heck that comes off with pressure washer. Your truck have orignal or updated drive train?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pick up a pair of foam earplugs. Does the same thing much cheaper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
That would be great. Do you have the salt induced rust we deal with? We started using a brine on the roads, it stays on the road for several days after treatment, can event stand up to some rain. No way in heck that comes off with pressure washer. Your truck have orignal or updated drive train?

they use calcium something or the other here on roads that doesn't seem to cause rust.
my old truck hasn't been on the hiway for about 15 years because it is original and top speed is about 52mph. thought about restoring the body, putting a dually box on, and dropping a 350 crate motor in it , but we both got old and i am to tired to take on that project.
i'll stick to putting AR's together. can do that sitting down. grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
So, do you all use them? Glassbed? Let it rattle like a worn out Ford Pinto? Maybe a little OCD, but I can't stand it, it's a big reason I don't use my Ren 760. My first AR was RRA, and it does not rattle, I am in the process of buying two cheaper guns and fully expect them to be loose. I do not need the mil-spec speech, and I know it does not hurt anything, I just can't stand using a tool that feels like it has already broken.

I'm with ya, can't stand a rattly rifle. However, I also want the ability to remove the takedown pins easily without tools.

I have not tried the shim kit above, but have what I think is an easier solution - put an O-ring around the front lug of the upper. The O-ring gets pinched between the upper and lower, acting as a spring to force them apart. Install the forward pin first, with the receivers hinged open all the way, then as you close it to install the rear pin you'll feel the springy resistance. No gunsmithing required, and easy to change out.

The cheap softer O-rings some hardware stores carry don't last very long, but they are cheap enough to change out as needed. Higher quality o-rings from a hydraulic shop last longer.

The O-ring in the picture is old and about ready to change out, but it shows the areas where it gets pinched. You want it to fit tightly around the upper lug. Depending how your receivers fit, you may need a thicker or thinner o-ring, just get several sizes and experiment.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let it rattle!!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Let it rattle!!

Why? There's no advantage to it, unless you just like stuff that rattles.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When I pick up a tool or operate a machine that shakes or rattles, my instinct is something is wrong. Too many years operating equipment I guess.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If I want to hold something that rattles I would walk around with an aerosol can. Lol

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Pick up a pair of foam earplugs. Does the same thing much cheaper.

Great idea.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you are after the very last Nth of accuracy, use steel bed and bed the upper and lower.

Beyond that only work with it if the rattle bothers you. It cetainly does not affect accuracy much at all, to the tune of about 1/10 MOA at 300 yards on 10 shot groups.... it took it to about 300 before I could even really notice the groups being more round and a hair snugger on my testing in the 90s...

Other than that, accuwedge, ear plug, orings along with bedding all keep the rattle from going on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, do you all use them? Let it rattle like a worn out Ford Pinto? Maybe a little OCD, ...

The USAMTU tested this and was unable to document any accuracy differences, but they did find a phsycological benefit to the shooter, in that the shooter gained mental confidence by thinking it would be an improvement. So it was written off as a click on the rifle, click in the head sort of thing.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Umm, IIRC talking to the AMU, there actually was some minor differences, which mirrored all of my testing. Basically the groups were more round in shape, hole to hole if that makes sense, and at 300 yards just a tiny bit tighter, but measurable.

IIRC Praslick said the same though, click on the gun, click in the head mostly.

They sure feel better to me if they are tight.

OTOH I'd never bed a gun if it wasn't a match gun anymore...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I "wedged" mine and I couldn't tell a bit of difference in accuracy. I'll leave it in anyway as the anti-rattle effect is aesthetically pleasing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the wedge if needed because i want a totally quiet rifle when calling coyotes. May try the o-rings next time if needed

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.