Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

Also, Sable isn't available in all of the Luangwa Valley. I've hunted extensively in Nyaminga, Chanjuzi and have spent non-hunting time in Chifunda, right next door to Nyaminga. I killed a 44" Sable in the Tondwa concession which is extreme NE Zambia right up near Tanzania.

There are some fabulous Sable area's to be found in other Zambia area's. The Kafue GMA's are the best for big (44"+)

I agree that a Roan would be a really nice adder since I guess you have both a Sable and Leopard previously?

There are other Zambia only animals to consider also, Cookson's Wildebeest, only found in the Luangwa Valley. Be sure to shoot a Puku and if the time and money hold out a trip to Bangweulu Swamp for a Black Lechwe and the Kafue Flats for a Kafue Lechwe, both totally unique to Zambia. Neither are too time consuming and more of a collecting trip than a hunt.

The Luangwa valley's Leopard concentration is remarkable, you should have no trouble killing a Leopard there as long as you're with a good operator in one of the decent area's.

My original reason for responding to you is Sitatunga. If you are going to Zambia and you've killed the Sable and Leopard, I really recommend a Sitatunga. My opinion it is the finest and most unique Spiral Horned Antelope to hunt in the world. Their habitat and nocturnal nature make hunting them a true game of chess mixed with cat and mouse, with a bit of a hippo hunt thrown in.

Whatever you decide best of luck.

We've talked about going up to Bangweulu for sitatunga and Black lechwe, but I've wanted to do Luangwa forever, it seems.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Leopard is exciting but the prep for it in baiting can take away some of the fun if you are determined to focus on the cat and if you are on a leopard hunt you are comitted to focusing on it. Luckily you will not make a bad decision as either way you will find your way back to Africa.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good point!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hunt sable during the day and leopard at night....maximize your hunt time

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hunted Luangwa with Luangwa Safaris back in the day when Capstick was just getting started with them. I won't go into how amusing that was again, not now anyway.
However, Luangwa was a wonderful place and, to a great extent, still is.
Our area did not have sable and male roan were not seen. In the words of John Wooters, even where there's a lot of roan, there's not a lot of roan. Of course John was talking about jaguars, but I've found it's a pretty good description for quite a few desirable species.
I'd go back in a minute but would eschew the leopard and also try to take in some of the other areas mentioned for more species. But a hunt centered around Luangwa is never a bad choice. BTW Jack Acheson Sr. is who talked me into going to Luangwa and I remain grateful to this day.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
In 18, if Trump then Leopard. If Hillary, then Sable as Leopard will be non-importable.

Good points here
I would go for the cat, but not of I could not bring it home

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Eventually you (or your heirs) will have to dispose of this stuff. I suspect that there would be a much greater market for a leopard rug than another antelope shoulder mount.

Besides, as one poster noted, leopard hunting may eventually be closed, as lion and elephant (in most areas) now are.

But why not ask your PH about hunting both? Why would there be a conflict? I hunted cats and other game in Zim in 2011. The meat from the other game was used for lion and leopard baits.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
As she reminds me, she is the keeper of the 51/100 rule. She is not only 51% of the population but one 100 % of the pussy! smile

You will never be president!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.