Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a new Ruger American Rifle in 7-08. I mounted the same Kahles scope I have had on my other rifle for years. Everything Loc-Tighted looking good. Went to the range. First shot 1"left and 1"high at 100. Went to move the scope to the right. 3 clicks =1" acccording to the scope dial. Next shot right where I want it. Next shot 5 inches to the right. This same scenario goes on for the better part of a box of shells. First shot right where it should be the next shot somewhere far from the first. My question is this do the barrels heat up extremely fast nd wasn't I giving it time enough to cool or do I look elsewhere like the scope, or even the crown although this is a brand new rifle.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That sounds like a scope issue....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sorry but I got to..

Did you use 'flave precision ammo i.e. 22-250/7-08. lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold my RAR. After multiple boxes of factory ammo of various types I failed to find any that shot well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If it is an earlier made stock, it could have the forend issue putting side pressure on the barrel. Look in the stock. The reinforcing spacers should be X shaped in the forend. If they are just straight across dividers, it is a first generation stock. There have not been as many issues with the current design.

The barrel is relatively lightweight, but it isn't going to heat up any faster than any other barrel of the same weight.

Last edited by KenMi; 09/25/16.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My guess would be the scope, with that type of performance. Good info on the barrel channel, though. I have a .308 and it shot OK, but tightened up when I fixed the fore end. I also filled the "Xs" with epoxy to firm up the stock.

Don't give up on it until you try another scope.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What ammo were you shooting?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check the scope/mounts.

If those are not the culprit, you can be content in knowing that not every 300 dollar plastic stocked rifle shoots like a benchrest gun.

Flip it and hope the next one does.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Backroads
Check the scope/mounts.

If those are not the culprit, you can be content in knowing that not every 300 dollar plastic stocked rifle shoots like a benchrest gun.

Flip it and hope the next one does.

Although, funny thing is, most of them do come close to that. Hence the reason this thread was probably started.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KenMi
If it is an earlier made stock, it could have the forend issue putting side pressure on the barrel. Look in the stock. The reinforcing spacers should be X shaped in the forend. If they are just straight across dividers, it is a first generation stock. There have not been as many issues with the current design.

The barrel is relatively lightweight, but it isn't going to heat up any faster than any other barrel of the same weight.

This would be my first guess. Sometimes you can simply loosen the action screws, use your thumb to center the barrel while tightening the actions screws, done deal. My 30-06 was that way and it will most definitely put 3 under an inch at 100.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
JP Lucas- I was using Hornady GMX ammunition

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It ain't the rifle.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Sold my RAR. After multiple boxes of factory ammo of various types I failed to find any that shot well.

My buddy had one that shot like chit too. He sold it and bought a couple TC ventures and a savage XP trophy hunter. Those drive tacks. He swore he'd never buy another RAR, so I guess that's more for you guys.. laugh .

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm two for two, guess I'm very lucky. Threw a Tract Toric on the RAR '06, grabbed some federal blue box 165's and 180's, and shot 1' or better with both. The 180's were closer to .6". Did the same thing today with the .243, mounting the Toric and hurling 95g BT's into small clusters, and 140 fusions into small clusters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
140's?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm sorry...90's in the .243. 140's in the 7-08. Good catch there huntsman.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
JP Lucas- I was using Hornady GMX ammunition

I tried the Hornady sst superformance in a rar 7mm08 and my weatherby 7mm08. It shot a 4 to 5 inch group in the rar and a 3 to 4 inch group in the weatherby. The hornady american whitetail shot less than an inch in both.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After the disparage in bullet diameters of the Hornady 55gr red box I had - they'll be lucky to see my cash again.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This was the first time I ever tried anything other than Remington Cor-Lokt ammunition. Looks like I'll try that before investing in a new scope, then if nothing changes I'll go scope shopping. Thanks for the insight on Hornady ammunition.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Reef on those action screws too... all my RARs have liked "bloody knuckle" tight on both front and rear.

On the one RAR I had with the old style forend, I simply used a heat-gun to warm up the stock just in front of the shank. When it was warm enough, I pulled the forend put away from the barrel a bit, put a spacer in it to hold it where I wanted it, and set it in the chest freezer for a few minutes. Once cooled and hardened up again, I pulled the action screws, removed the spacer, and reassembled... the barrel was floated nicely, and it took some pretty good pressure to get it to touch the barrel. Took about 10 minutes of my time, and knocked groups in half...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.