Print Thread
Hop To
P
PeaEye Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Just back from spike camp bow hunt in 52 NM; no meat but had a great time.

Two pieces of gear disappointed: Brunton butane lighter, which would work at best one time out of ten at 10,400 feet where we were camped (works like a champ at my home elevation of 5300); Midland FM radio which, unless I shouted seemed to send only carrier). I also tried using an MSR piezo sparker to light my pocket rocket stove, and that never worked at all -- I think it's just not a big enough spark. A friend's jet boil lighter worked every time at that altitude, and there are always matches though care required since it rained regularly.

I would appreciate any advice on lighters or sparkers that actually work at altitude to light a pocket rocket stove. As for radios, I know that VHF is line of sight, but mine seemed to perform worse than other radios in the group that were smaller and theoretically lower powered. Would appreciate any leads.

Big winner for the trip: Big Agnes 2 person Copper Spur UL, which was easy to get into and out of while keeping muddy boots out, and kept me dry in a spectacular 2.5 hour downpour. I was very impressed given how light it is.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I find that butane lighters start crapping out between 6 and 7k. Sometimes the spark will light the stove but it won't light the butane in the lighter. Since strike anywhere matches don't, I use a Strike Force striker to light my stove.
When car camping, I use a self lighting propane torch. That gets it cooking nicely although it's too heavy for packing. It also works great on campfires and tent stoves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bic disposable or a old fashion Zippo.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Never had a problem with either of these. We also use a high output pipe lighter. Flame looks like a small flame thrower. However, we hunt at 9,000 feet, camp at 8,500, so that could make a difference.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Lite My Fire 2.0 Firesteel. Pretty much all I have used in the last 10 years.

Ed T

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I always carry 2 Bic's (one as a backup) but have never needed it.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMCO petrol lighters.
Work on zippo fuel or white gas.
Lighter body can be removed and used as a match or a candle.

They can be tough to find. The Chinese made lighters are not as nice as NOS Austrian lighters, but IMCO closed up shop a few years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...amp;_nkw=imco+triplex+super&_sacat=0

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Study for 4 hours online and get a tech ticket HAM liscense. A Baoefeng UV series radio is the same price than the bubble pack stuff, just as light, gets out better, and will also receive NOAA and other channels. In Yellowstone last year I could flip it on and hear all the LE chatter on the repeaters.

R
R
Originally Posted by K1500
Study for 4 hours online and get a tech ticket HAM liscense. A Baoefeng UV series radio is the same price than the bubble pack stuff, just as light, gets out better, and will also receive NOAA and other channels. In Yellowstone last year I could flip it on and hear all the LE chatter on the repeaters.

I think this is the best piece of info I've seen all week, thanks man.
My Midland was receiving but not transmitting last weekend. Nothing like having a 1-way radio.

Butane is worthless at elevation or in cold, and more expensive. Bic works fine for me, with a backup ferro rod. Film cannister with vaseline + cotton works with either.

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bic lighter - worked at 9500 ft fine this year....

Radio - Garmin Rino 650 .... especially if your buddies have them (you can see their location on topo).

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Actually it's not the altitude that affects butane lighters, it's the temperature. I use to climb mountains and smoke at the same time. I would light up a cig at 14,000+ feet using a cheap Bic butane lighter, no problem. I carried the lighter in my pocket so it was always warm. I don't smoke any longer so don't carry the lighter in my pocket. I do keep one of these flint strikers with my stove, just in case the lighter and matches don't work.

https://www.campmor.com/c/msr-strike-igniter-1

The law is ambiguous but most people interpret it to mean that using radios while hunting is illegal in Colorado. I'm pretty sure that most wildlife officers would write a citation and let the judge figure it out.

I too like the Copper Spur. But I'm slowly getting use to the flimsy material now used by manufacturers to lower the weight of their newest tents. You can tear a hole in the mesh fabric of a Copper Spur with your fingernail.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Radios are not illegal.

You just can't use them to "hunt". I think that generally means something akin to pulling overwatch on a ridge and coordinating with your buddies to get a shot, directing your buddy from point A to B in order to get them into position on a herd that you spotted, or do a movement to contact with communication as a coordinated effort.

Telling your buddy, that you are cold and headed back to camp for lunch should be dandy. Or even saying you got one down, now go get the horse while I gut him should be ok. After its dead, you ain't hunting.

Of course, if you use call signs how is anybody going to question you.

Last edited by conrad101st; 09/27/16.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hi RC--
The handi-talkies do put out a typically stronger signal(usually up to 7 watts) and given they usually have a superior antenna, they usually perform well....however...to talk on ham frequencies everyone using them is supposed to have a ham license. Which means the folks you are talking to and hearing from would need to have licenses as well.
Do recommend getting the ham license. It can be a comfort when in the back country, to hit a repeater with a landline connection, and be able to call home,etc, when your cell phone can't hit a tower.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.