-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used a straight spotter for years and always "assumed", because of what I'd been told, straight was more versatile, easier to find an object with. That was until I used a couple of angled scopes over a several year period. I changed my mind.

I really have no problem finding objects with an angled scope, and angled is more comfortable to use (no need to repeat others input on the subject).

Suffice to say, I think a straight scope is at its best where weight and size are at a premium, like on a backpack hunt. Otherwise, I think all the marbles are in the angled scopes corner.

When I replace my current straight scope it will be an angled.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your binos are straight, your rifle scope is straight......and spotting scope is straight. The pattern is there for a reason, it works.....

If it moves shoot it again!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my periscope ain't straight......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
my periscope ain't straight......

Apparently you'd drive in reverse better if you started using your periscope properly...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
I've used a straight spotter for years and always "assumed", because of what I'd been told, straight was more versatile, easier to find an object with. That was until I used a couple of angled scopes over a several year period. I changed my mind.

I really have no problem finding objects with an angled scope, and angled is more comfortable to use (no need to repeat others input on the subject).

Suffice to say, I think a straight scope is at its best where weight and size are at a premium, like on a backpack hunt. Otherwise, I think all the marbles are in the angled scopes corner.

When I replace my current straight scope it will be an angled.

I've used angled scopes a fair bit over the years, and will be sticking with my straight scopes. They prefer women, just like I do...

Packability is certainly an advantage, as you pointed out, especially designs like the Swarovski or the new Razor that don't have focus knobs sticking out.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If I was going to be only glassing with a spotting scope, I would probably run and angled just for comfort. When glassing all day long, they are just more comfortable.

I personally glass mostly through 15x binos on my tripod, then switch to a spotting scope for more power if I find something I need to check out. By using a straight eyepiece, I can lock down my head with the object in the center of my fov, remove the binos, put my spotter on backed down to 20 power and have the object in the fov without any adjustments. Then increase the power and fine tune to move the object to center if needed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I've used angled scopes a fair bit over the years, and will be sticking with my straight scopes. They prefer women, just like I do...

Packability is certainly an advantage, as you pointed out, especially designs like the Swarovski or the new Razor that don't have focus knobs sticking out.

I'm glad to see the Razor lose the "sticky outy" focus knobs. I know of two spotters, one a Razor, that ended up with bent knobs.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I read a few past threads and just wondering what your thoughts are on the true pros/cons of each type? Main use will be glassing for big game from both below and above.

I have one of each. I prefer the angle.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.