Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by hunting1
I have had 2-misfires with WLRM primers and 300WSM out of like 200 so far, same box.

Misfires are a different and unrelated problem.

The issue being discussed here is that the primer cups crack, allowing hot gas to erode the bolt face.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I talked to Kristen earlier this year and sent back what I had, even though I had not experienced any problems. The whole thing was handled very well by them and I got a check that more than covered replacing the ones that I sent in.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using the LRMs in my .264, and I've not had a misfire or leak as of yet...a misfire I can handle, but not a gas leak!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester Primer Leakage Lot #
CAL401G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL225G
GEL250G

These were a few I had that were noted, I believe from Mule Deer's list?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Add another lot # to the list-

CML571G

Third shot fired from a brand new Remington SPS in 260...

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm the proud owner of four cavities in two rifles. All from wlr primers. I didn't know what was happening until I blew an extractor off my Marlin XL7.
I've seen Lot number lists a quite a bit longer than what was posted above. Personally I think Winchester knows at what point in time they cheapened up the thickness of their cup and when they fixed it. It kind of feels to me like they're playing coy with people reporting lot numbers and acting like they're cooperating.... when really I think there should be a huge recall. Ill never use Winchester primers again.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Ive been working away,but put Sharon's number in my phone. Ill be giving her a holler when I get home. Thanks for the info everyone.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Went to Winchesters website and filed a claim with a list of all the lots I have.My two suspects are lots DFL194G and DLL219G.These are WLRM primers.I think I may have bought these in 2008.I had three blow out in one day and that was enough for me to file a claim this week.I've had an occasional one blow out and I just blew it off.I suspect some are blowing out inside the primer pocket just causing soot around the primer.I've been discarding that brass thinking it was loose primer pockets.I've got a few burns on my bolt faces too.It wasn't a big deal at first,but it starts adding up after awhile.I haven't noticed any accuracy problems from it,just cosmetic.Winchester notified me that they have receive my claim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have about 500 factory primed 264 Win Mag cases and a like amount of 257 Roberts cases. All are WW brand that I purchased from the classifieds here on the fire. Those 264 cases leaked twice in the first 50 loaded so I deprimed the lot and reprimed with 215M's when I load. The 257 leaked as well and I also deprimed the lot. I use the old silver WLR's now when I load these.

I fired these 264's in my EW Model 70 and the stainless steel bolt was not pitted, just a soot mark. I was lucky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I no longer use Winchester primers of any kind. Switched to CCI or Federal in everything I load. No more problems with messed-up bolt faces. I also switched out all my handgun primers, just in case. Just me.........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Just checked my lot. #CNL584G. Ill be calling Winny tomorrow.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the lot # of yours?

Are they plated with nickel color or just the natural brass color?

Are yours undersize?

The WLR and WLRM primers I have are undersize in diameter and fit loose in good brass!

They may have forgotten removing plating from an outside surface specification removes diameter!

The WLR are Lot No DNL 836G
The WLRM are Lot No DLL 212G

To add their diameters are 0.2097"

Last edited by Savage_99; 09/28/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kraky111
I'm the proud owner of four cavities in two rifles. All from wlr primers. I didn't know what was happening until I blew an extractor off my Marlin XL7.
I've seen Lot number lists a quite a bit longer than what was posted above. Personally I think Winchester knows at what point in time they cheapened up the thickness of their cup and when they fixed it. It kind of feels to me like they're playing coy with people reporting lot numbers and acting like they're cooperating.... when really I think there should be a huge recall. Ill never use Winchester primers again.

I'll use up some of my old primers, but never buy anymore Winchester primers as well. I still need to call on the brick or WLRM's I have...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Went to Winchesters website and filed a claim with a list of all the lots I have.My two suspects are lots DFL194G and DLL219G.These are WLRM primers.I think I may have bought these in 2008.I had three blow out in one day and that was enough for me to file a claim this week.I've had an occasional one blow out and I just blew it off.I suspect some are blowing out inside the primer pocket just causing soot around the primer.I've been discarding that brass thinking it was loose primer pockets.I've got a few burns on my bolt faces too.It wasn't a big deal at first,but it starts adding up after awhile.I haven't noticed any accuracy problems from it,just cosmetic.Winchester notified me that they have receive my claim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Will they allow you to file a claim on primers that are not on their lot # list????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is the Winchester link to file a claim.You can add pictures too.
http://www.winchester.com/Product-Service/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
UPS is coming tomorrow to pick up my 800 primers. They seemed quite concerned about any remaining rounds I might have loaded. I pulled the four still on hand after the rupture,and pushed out the WLRs. Paperwork concerning the bolt face to follow. We'll see I guess. Better than digging a hole for the damn things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has there been any problems with their small/large pistol primers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You an add lot ELL078G to the list as well. Last round in a box of 50 blew a big pinhole in the primer.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Emailed them, got a call back about 20 minutes later. They are sending UPS to pick up the case and told me to get a quote on repairing the bolt face.

Gotta say, the Ruger handled the gas pretty good. Felt a puff on the face, but a ton of smoke was coming out thru the trigger.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I called Sharon early last week about two bricks of WLR I bought within the last year or two. Have never used any of them and she never said if the lot numbers were included in the known bad ones but I didn't want to take a chance. They are sending packing material and a label and will arrange for UPS to pick them up, then will send me a check.

She didn't say how much the check would be for but they're taking them back no questions asked so I'm not going to quibble.

Lot # CLL 563G and DGL 750G.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.