Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 43 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 42 43
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yep, best to just completely bypass the Hi Line now as well.

I am MAGA.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't mind bike riders at all, except when they ride six abreast on a 22' wide blacktop that runs thru hilly country, run stop crossings without paying attention to what's coming the other way and showing up a functions wearing their smelly azz riding gear. Ragbrai comes thru my part of Iowa every few years and some azzwipes show up everywhere thinking their cool smelling up the place, restaurants, bars, stores ect. Know one around here would walk into the same places covered in pig or cow [bleep], but some riders always do

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to try to creep up on bicycle people and roll the power window down and my buddy would stick his asscheeks out the window till it almost touched the side of their head.

laugh

Was so much fun, we did it to an out county constable too lmao.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally wouldn't associate with a (known)one.

Last edited by SamOlson; 09/29/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul,
You asked why so many Americans don't like bikes on the road. Dozens of folks have told you why.

Then you keep trying to tell these people that they haven't experienced the incidents that they have described to you.

I think you got plenty of answers to your question. Why don't you make it your mission to get the thousands of inconsiderate, self-centered bike riders to follow your rules of good riding manners? You obviously have all the answers and you can make the world a better place.

One of the problems many people mentioned was the bike riders' sense of arrogance. You yourself may have the best riding manners in the world, as you keep claiming to us, however you also seem to suffer from that common bike-rider malady: extreme arrogance.

You, yourself admit that riding in traffic is dangerous and an easy way to get killed. So dangerous, in fact, that you have added accidental death coverage to your life insurance and instructed your wife to sue if you are killed by an errant motorist.

Then when many Campfire members tell you that we don't like bikes on the road because we consider it too dangerous for them and us, you try to argue that it isn't.

Common sense says that if bikes on the road were not a problem then there wouldn't be very many complaints. Since there are so many complaints, common sense says that bikes on the roads must be a problem. Denying it doesn't change a thing.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I love to ride a bicycle. Seven years ago I broke my leg and almost got it amputated, had to have emergency surgery. Was on crutches for 11 weeks. Doc told me to get with the physical therapy, most especially riding bicycles.

Well I live way out in the woods in the NC mountains.
I got my mountain bike geared up and went out and rode for 5 minutes the first day. That was painful but got through it.
After a week was riding for a half hour.
Felt better every day.

In two months I was riding for 2 hours a day.
I can tell you the mountain people of North Carolina have no use for a grown man riding a bicycle. They whiz by you, their mirror missing you by 8 inches.
Some yell stuff at you.
I do not wear that gay Tour de France outfit, I wear a white t shirt. No gay French helmet for me, I wear a baseball hat, to which I clip my little rear view mirror. This way I can see which vehicle is coming up upon me from behind.
No fancy bicycle shoes, just wear tennis shoes.

Definitely a hostile reception from the local NC inhabitants.

Now, I am 6-3 and 225, nobody stopped their car and invited me to a fistfight, I would have gladly joined in on that, and probalby won, but they sure enjoy messing with you while they buzz by at 50 mph.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One point that is constantly brought up is a cyclist legal right to the road.

Caitlyn Jenner has a legal right to use whatever pisser he likes, but start waving your pecker around the ladies room and your gonna get chit on.

Go in, be considerate, take care of your business and leave, chances are no one will bother it/him whatever.

Why the simple concept of being considerate when you are obviously somewhere you don't belong, even when you have a legal right to be there, escapes so many is puzzling.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

True story. More'n a few Cops around here are also bicycle guys. About five of 'em would get off of their late shifts and then ride a ten mile, early hours of the am loop around downtown before going home to sleep.

One night two ex-con type in a passing vehicle cut 'em off and threw a soda, causing one of the Cops to wreck. Shouted insults were exchanged. The car stops, backs up, and the passenger gets out, flashes gang signs, and asks if any of them bicycle pu$$ies wanted a piece of him.

Turns out they did grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The only time it really bothers me is when one of them is towing a kid in those phoney trailers.

Thats an ambulance run I would gladly miss out on.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

17 page thread.... I'm curious. Not sure if I'm THAT curious. smile

Paul, I'm a cyclist too. It has transformed my life in the last several years and pulled my ass out of a very dark place. I'm typing this from a high altitude deer camp and I won't be huffing and puffing tomorrow because cycling (climbing) has me in very good aerobic shape.

Are the clothes goofy as hell? Yep. Can bikes be annoying? Yep. Do I love cycling? Yep.

Climbing is my thing. My ideal ride is around 30 miles with lots of long steep climbs and ripping downhills. Love the aerobic rush of having a maxed out heart rate. Love going 40 mph on a featherweight carbon fiber frame and tires an inch wide.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I can see where people get aggravated by a peloton of 20 bicyclists, hogging the road and running stop lights etc.

But, I was riding by myself on lonely country roads, not impeding any traffic. In fact, if I was coming up on a curve, and saw in my rear view mirror that a car would have to slow down to pass me, I would just pull over on the shoulder and let the car pass. I am a polite bike rider.

Nonetheless the mountain inhabitants disliked me.

One day I saw four people out in the yard. They had a big dog with them.
As I rode by, Fido ran out and ran up towards me. I saw that he was going to bite my ankle!
This goes way back to the wolf days, the wolf bites than ankle of the elk and cuts the achilles tendon, the elk cannot run, and the wolves kill it.
This mutt was trying to cut my achilles tendon. Hell I already had a broken leg I didn't need a severed achilles tendon.
At the last second, I put my foot out and the damn dog bit my tennis shoe. He got a mouth full of rubber, and he backed off, and I rode on down the road.

A few days later I was riding past the same spot and those people were standing near the mailbox. The dog was not there. I stopped and told them that their dog had almost injured me badly.
These people told me that they were upset with me. They saw how their dog had bitten my shoe, and were concerned that my shoe could have injured their dog's teeth!
All the while they looked at me with a look of contempt.

No, the NC hillbillies have no use for a grown man riding a bicycle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya really want to piss off a hillbilly with something he has no use for.....show him a tooth brush.

Apoplectic.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I ride rural roads primarily. Light traffic. I try to be considerate. Sometimes there's just no way around it, a car has to slow down for a second. The horror! I mean the poor driver had to move their right toe over a couple inches and press a pedal, then move it back! It's a lot to ask. crazy

I don't know if this has been said so I will. It seems like drivers often assume that bikes should be on the shoulder. In Oregon at least, the cyclist has discretion to do what they think is safest; and I'm here to tell y'all that hugging the far edge of the road is often not safest at ALL. For multiple reasons. First, shoulders aren't bike lanes; they can suddenly vanish, have mailboxes sticking into them, debris, dead animals, potholes, etc. One of the most dangerous things a cyclist can do is swerve into the lane, yet, if you ride a shoulder you will be forced to do so with frequency. Not good. Motorists assume that the cyclist is gonna stay over there and don't give enough room. Second, if you are on the shoulder cars will attempt the dreaded "squeeze pass"; it's much better to force cars to respect you as a vehicle and pass accordingly when it's safe to do so. I'm not saying get out in the middle of the lane. I like to ride about a foot from the fog line, that gives me some buffer to my right if I need it, and makes cars pass safely. Better for everybody.

Dogs are a bummer. I've pepper sprayed a half dozen of them. I've considered McGyver'ing a holster in my frame triangle for a Glock, too.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jeff O, good reply. Enjoyed the read

A man's got to know his limitations!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pages and pages dedicated to a pathetic minority that feels entitled to something they have no right. Highways were made for automobiles and paid for with related taxes. Along comes some self appointed bicyclist and demands room and respect.

Bicyclists are all over the place with an industry that has made a fortune off their stupidity. When we were kids, we rode bikes to get somewhere and didn't need plastic brain pans and spandex to ride the bike. When we rode our bikes, we steered clear of cars and understood the hazards of automobiles. Our town is full of bicycle trails paid for by taxes of city residents and less than 1% of the population even use them.

Now, just like gays, transgenders, and countless other super minoritys, bicyclists make such a outcry for consideration they don't deserve. They peddle their asses all over the place expecting special treatment, when they don't get it, all of a sudden we have an intolerant society.

Ban the bastards...

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by xarcher
I have been biking the white line on a straight road then get passed and cut off by motorist with the horn blaring.

The one thing that pizzes me off about bicyclists, more than anything else, is they will "ride the line" - even with a complete lane on the right ("parking lane")

I don't like to see that Mark. Let me ask you this though. Is that bicycle lane completely within the swing radius of parked cars doors? Riding in that "door zone" is extremely dangerous.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xarcher
Originally Posted by mark shubert
But I have seen a cattle drive on MT state highway 278 (70 mph posted speed limit) that covered both lanes plus 50 feet on either side. Traffic had to come to a complete stop 300 head of cattle strolled around the stopped cars. Anybody bitchin about that?

The only time we put cattle on the highway (intentionally) is when there is no other practical way to get "there" from "here" [/quote]

Not doubting that is the best way to run the cattle drive. Actually I believe cattle drives on the highway is somehow covered under the rules of free ranging. Just like biking is permitted by state law subject to the rules of the road. [/quote]

I enjoy watching a good cattle drive. Especially if dogs are being used.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
This Paul guy has proven hisself to be downright "special", ain't he.

Come on, you can do better than that.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Even where there are NO parked cars?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Used to try to creep up on bicycle people and roll the power window down and my buddy would stick his asscheeks out the window till it almost touched the side of their head.

laugh

I'd laugh my ass off at that.

Page 17 of 43 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 29 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.