Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 42 43
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Trail bikers going like hell with their head down, oblivious to anything r anybody else on the trail. Road bikers riding two or four abreast on a two lane country road. If they want to ride on the roads,they should be licensed on the bicycle

If we assume a road is too narrow to safely overtake a bicyclist completely within that lane. In other words, you have to move into the oncoming lane to safely go around them, then you'll spend less time in the oncoming lane if they are side by side rather than end to end. There's a cool video that demonstrates this. If the lane is wide enough to safely share, then they need to get their asses in single file to help a brother out.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
The only problem I have with bikers is they can't maintain the posted speed and thus are a hazard.

Hi there neighbor! What do you do when you encounter a slow moving delivery truck or construction vehicle in your lane. How about granny who goes well below the speed limit. What do you do when there is a dead deer in your lane? Those things aren't hazards to alert motorists.

True. However at times of heavy traffic you may not be able to pass. If the cyclist is an aforementioned inconsiderate azzwhole and doesnt get out of tbe road, he will likely engender much angst.

It's not hard not to be an inconsiderate azzwhole.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck

No road user should outdrive their line of sight no matter their manner of conveyance.
Ya, mean, like crotchies? smile
It's irresponsible.
Ala crotchies..
It's often fatal to motorcyclists.
Especially crotchies..
I keep a sharp ear out any time I am on the other side of a blind hill or blind bend in the road. I shouldn't have to be prepared to dive out of the way of an irresponsible motorist, but I am.
laugh laugh You obviously don't run a crotchie..

(all in good fun)..

It's obvious that it is in good fun. I fully expect to take some shots that aren't in good fun before this thread runs its course. I can take it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I know of several trails that have been taken over by bikers. Sliding their tires on downhills have left the trails so rutted that hikers can't walk on them. You have to get to the side.

I ride mountain bikes too. I don't outdrive my line of sight!

As a somewhat related aside. Oak Mountain State Park has great mountain bike trails. Built and maintained by mountain bikers. The trails are in phenominal shape. In the same park, there is a hiking trail that goes to Peavine Falls. It is deeply rutted and washed out.

Your point stands though that we should all strive to be good stewards of our trails.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Paul, First,let me say that I've done some biking! But,many of them show an arrogant,self righteous attitude, which can be a danger to both themselves and others. Example: Many years ago I was taking a friend of mine to the SLC Airport,from western Wyoming. We were running late(which is par for the course for me),and I was "pushing" the speed limits a bit. On I-80,just east of SLC is a couple of miles of fairly steep,downhill,curvey roadway. I was in a right hand curve( doing about 70),in the right lane. When, there he was,a cyclist in the center of my lane. I had two options,stick the blue oval of my F-250 up his a@$, or make an evasive manuver to the left. Thank God, the adjacent lane was unoccupied! I really wanted to stop and introduce him to the shovel,which always resides in the truck bed! But, as earlier stated, I was running late. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

When I lived in Brisbane Australia, where cycling is huge, large groups would meet early each morning for a pre-work ride. They would buzz by my house along our street on the river shouting at one another waking up folks left and right. Do understand, it is common to have all windows, sliding glass WALLS open during the night there. Numerous complaints, formal and polite meetings with cyclists, homeowners and LEO have been going on for years and no change. They could clearly GAF. A loose bunch of pitt bulls could have been handy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I once made it for several months riding a bike everywhere except dates and vacations before I got too lazy. I was much healthier.

Now I am worse. When I roll a jeep I do 45mph and wave at the tailgaters. Interestingly, when I am driving something else and get stuck behind someone doing 45mph out here in the country, I have to remind myself that I do the same obnoxious thing. Gotta share the road!

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been riding bikes on the roads for decades.

That said it comes down to courtesy and safety. Whether a car is driving slowly and impeding the flow of traffic or a bike is doing the same, it isn't safe. Yesterday when I was driving to work there was a guy on a bike that was blocking a lane of traffic. The road didn't have a bike lane and he couldn't ride far enough over to allow cars to pass. He could have ridden on the sidewalk. I thought the guy was an idiot, he was endangering himself and others by his actions.

To me it's just common sense. When riding a bike I don't want to tangle with a car because I will loose. I'll do everything reasonable to keep myself tangling with traffic even if my "rights" allow me to be an idiot.

I've only tangled with a car once, and while technically it wasn't my fault I realize I could have avoided it. I was at an intersection and when the light turned green I pedaled away. A car the pulled away slowly and I was right beside him. He made a right turn into me just after the intersection. I was in his blind spot and didn't see his turn signal. Fortunately he made a very slow turn so I just scraped my leg against the side of his car and didn't go down. A very loud F bomb got his attention.

Expect people to do stupid stuff and do everything you can to be safe.

Bikes do not generally belong on sidewalks. It's dangerous. Motorists are not expecting traffic moving at bicycle speeds on sidewalks. I'll opine that the bicyclist you mentioned was safer in the center of the lane (cars had obviously seen him and reacted.) How many times have you hit a slower moving vehicle? I am going to guess none. It's easy to avoid running over someone if you are paying attention. If a driver isn't payin attention and hits a slow moving vehicle, it is THAT DRIVER that was unsafe, not the slow moving vehicle. I will never stack traffic up behind me. I'll ease over and let it vent.

The accident you described is a right hook, and they are generally avoidable. In fact most of the accidents mentioned in this link are fairly easy to avoid. http://bicyclesafe.com/

The most difficult to mitigate is the rear end. Cyclist lane position is often the source of much frustration for motorists, but is also often used by bicyclists to mitigate risks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road.
Only at rush hours. Have you learned that yet? grin

I have been the only vehicle (motorized or non) on the road for miles and have been yelled at and brush passed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you!! If you want to claim your right to the road pay up like everyone else license and yearly inspection. They skate way too much on violations of the vehicle code. I see some who are trying to be courteous and give them the same respect, But too many are just arrogant a-holes. The bigger the group the worse the behavior.
Originally Posted by viking
Well for starters, they should have to be inspected, carry insurance, have a license plate visible just like a car or motorcycle being they want the equal rights and privileges to hog the road.

They should be ticketed for impeding traffic on roads with no shoulder and a double yellow line.

Most are gay like, they seldom obey traffic laws, in general they are a scourge to the safety of the motoring public.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
It's weird, but the people who most often set forth that argument are otherwise small government types. Yet on this issue, they want more government.
No. They (we) want equitable treatment.

Then a true small government type should lobby to have the laws applied to motor vehicles stricken down rather than stand in favor of additional laws for bicyclists right?

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Pretty simple - obey the rules of the road if you ride on the road. Corollary - obey the rules of pedestrians if you ride on the sidewalk (stop at intersections to walk bike across or ride across slowly after stopping).

I don't begrudge SxS riders on roads with no shoulders and narrow lanes. I do think that riding SxS way out in the driving lane on roads with wide lanes and wide shoulders is ridiculous.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
The only problem I have with bikers is they can't maintain the posted speed and thus are a hazard.

Hi there neighbor! What do you do when you encounter a slow moving delivery truck or construction vehicle in your lane. How about granny who goes well below the speed limit. What do you do when there is a dead deer in your lane? Those things aren't hazards to alert motorists.

True. However at times of heavy traffic you may not be able to pass. If the cyclist is an aforementioned inconsiderate azzwhole and doesnt get out of tbe road, he will likely engender much angst.

It's not hard not to be an inconsiderate azzwhole.

That's a good point and is part of the reason I don't stack traffic up behind me. I take a very cooperative attitude toward other road users.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Paul, First,let me say that I've done some biking! But,many of them show an arrogant,self righteous attitude, which can be a danger to both themselves and others. Example: Many years ago I was taking a friend of mine to the SLC Airport,from western Wyoming. We were running late(which is par for the course for me),and I was "pushing" the speed limits a bit. On I-80,just east of SLC is a couple of miles of fairly steep,downhill,curvey roadway. I was in a right hand curve( doing about 70),in the right lane. When, there he was,a cyclist in the center of my lane. I had two options,stick the blue oval of my F-250 up his a@$, or make an evasive manuver to the left. Thank God, the adjacent lane was unoccupied! I really wanted to stop and introduce him to the shovel,which always resides in the truck bed! But, as earlier stated, I was running late. memtb

There are certainly jackwipes in all walks of life. I'd just ask folks to be fair minded and not let those few unpleasant encounters negatively shape your interaction with me on the road.

Wasn't there a shoulder on that highway?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Usually a 2x4 to the back of the head (or just below the helmet line if you're looking for maximum effect), clears up any misunderstandings we may have with bicyclists around here.

Everybody gets along great, I just don't see the problem.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been riding bikes on the roads for decades.

That said it comes down to courtesy and safety. Whether a car is driving slowly and impeding the flow of traffic or a bike is doing the same, it isn't safe. Yesterday when I was driving to work there was a guy on a bike that was blocking a lane of traffic. The road didn't have a bike lane and he couldn't ride far enough over to allow cars to pass. He could have ridden on the sidewalk. I thought the guy was an idiot, he was endangering himself and others by his actions.

To me it's just common sense. When riding a bike I don't want to tangle with a car because I will loose. I'll do everything reasonable to keep myself tangling with traffic even if my "rights" allow me to be an idiot.

I've only tangled with a car once, and while technically it wasn't my fault I realize I could have avoided it. I was at an intersection and when the light turned green I pedaled away. A car the pulled away slowly and I was right beside him. He made a right turn into me just after the intersection. I was in his blind spot and didn't see his turn signal. Fortunately he made a very slow turn so I just scraped my leg against the side of his car and didn't go down. A very loud F bomb got his attention.

Expect people to do stupid stuff and do everything you can to be safe.

Bikes do not generally belong on sidewalks. It's dangerous. Motorists are not expecting traffic moving at bicycle speeds on sidewalks. I'll opine that the bicyclist you mentioned was safer in the center of the lane (cars had obviously seen him and reacted.) How many times have you hit a slower moving vehicle? I am going to guess none. It's easy to avoid running over someone if you are paying attention. If a driver isn't payin attention and hits a slow moving vehicle, it is THAT DRIVER that was unsafe, not the slow moving vehicle. I will never stack traffic up behind me. I'll ease over and let it vent.

The accident you described is a right hook, and they are generally avoidable. In fact most of the accidents mentioned in this link are fairly easy to avoid. http://bicyclesafe.com/

The most difficult to mitigate is the rear end. Cyclist lane position is often the source of much frustration for motorists, but is also often used by bicyclists to mitigate risks.

Cycling on a sidewalk can be dangerous, but often much less so than in the road.

If a road is narrow with no shoulder and a side walk is available, a cyclist is far better off on the sidewalk if he cannot keep up with the pace of traffic. The thing is, he will now have to contend with pedestrians who are moving at a much slower pace and moving erratically.....just like the cars in the road have to deal with cyclists.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you take pleasure in riding a bicycle on Route 2 through the state of Montana, you are an idiot.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Usually a 2x4 to the back of the head (or just below the helmet line if you're looking for maximum effect), clears up any misunderstandings we may have with bicyclists around here.

Everybody gets along great, I just don't see the problem.

ROAD RAGE!!!!! Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

That person is a grade A cockhole. I have been known to invite people back to have a chat with me. Those cyclists were almost all hugging the white line or to the right of it and weren't in any way an impediment to the driver. That was uncalled for. More and more cyclists have video cameras on their bikes.

Page 3 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.