Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 43 1 2 3 4 42 43
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RWE
OK, do you intentionally lag behind so the women are in front of you?

Depends on the women. Have to be discreet though, don't wanna look like a stalker.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Why a 300 pound middle age lard ass in spandex thinks he is entitled and safe to ride on busy rural roads that logging trucks frequent is beyond me. Hwy 49 here in NC is a grease slick waiting to happen.

By law that person is entitled to use that road. As a motorist I have encountered bicyclists on those kind of roads and have found them easy to go around. Do you have a hard time getting around them?

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
The only problem I have with bikers is they can't maintain the posted speed and thus are a hazard.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

ok

when you are riding in a group, and a woman is in front of you, are you watching her butt?

This is my best riding bud and I happily soak up the scenery when I am behind her.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I don't get why they wear the spandex when "training". I understand it's more aerodynamic but wouldn't a person want to make practice harder so it's feels easier when it's for real?

The padding is a must. Even with that, my butt is often my limiting factor in endurance. The form fitting slick material makes finite shifts of position in the saddle much easier. You kinda have to experience to appreciate it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
OK, do you intentionally lag behind so the women are in front of you?

I have no pride. If they happen to be a little faster than me for a moment, I am OK with that.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Trail bikers going like hell with their head down, oblivious to anything r anybody else on the trail. Road bikers riding two or four abreast on a two lane country road. If they want to ride on the roads,they should be licensed on the bicycle

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

No road user should outdrive their line of sight no matter their manner of conveyance.
Ya, mean, like crotchies? smile
It's irresponsible.
Ala crotchies..
It's often fatal to motorcyclists.
Especially crotchies..
I keep a sharp ear out any time I am on the other side of a blind hill or blind bend in the road. I shouldn't have to be prepared to dive out of the way of an irresponsible motorist, but I am.
laugh laugh You obviously don't run a crotchie..

(all in good fun)..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I know of several trails that have been taken over by bikers. Sliding their tires on downhills have left the trails so rutted that hikers can't walk on them. You have to get to the side.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
The only problem I have with bikers is they can't maintain the posted speed and thus are a hazard.

That would be my only gripe as well.

Lots of bikes in Boise and lots of "Share the Road" bumper stickers and fortunately lots of bike lanes so bikes and cars don't have to share the same lane. Even where there are no designated bike lanes most stay well to the side of the road so you can pass okay, but every once in while someone is riding out in the lane on a busy two lane road so you can't pass, and going maybe 25 in a 30-35 mph zone. I don't mind sharing the road as long as someone isn't being a hazard.

Then there are a few foolish people who like riding against traffic in bike lanes or on sidewalks. I've pulled out of an intersection to make a right turn and almost hit or been hit by someone coming the wrong way - your attention is to the left on traffic coming in the lane you will be pulling into. But I've never seen the Spandex road bikers do that, it's almost always some teenager that doesn't GAF anyway.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been riding bikes on the roads for decades.

That said it comes down to courtesy and safety. Whether a car is driving slowly and impeding the flow of traffic or a bike is doing the same, it isn't safe. Yesterday when I was driving to work there was a guy on a bike that was blocking a lane of traffic. The road didn't have a bike lane and he couldn't ride far enough over to allow cars to pass. He could have ridden on the sidewalk. I thought the guy was an idiot, he was endangering himself and others by his actions.

To me it's just common sense. When riding a bike I don't want to tangle with a car because I will loose. I'll do everything reasonable to keep myself tangling with traffic even if my "rights" allow me to be an idiot.

I've only tangled with a car once, and while technically it wasn't my fault I realize I could have avoided it. I was at an intersection and when the light turned green I pedaled away. A car the pulled away slowly and I was right beside him. He made a right turn into me just after the intersection. I was in his blind spot and didn't see his turn signal. Fortunately he made a very slow turn so I just scraped my leg against the side of his car and didn't go down. A very loud F bomb got his attention.

Expect people to do stupid stuff and do everything you can to be safe.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road.
Only at rush hours. Have you learned that yet? grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Well for starters, they should have to be inspected, carry insurance, have a license plate visible just like a car or motorcycle being they want the equal rights and privileges to hog the road.

They should be ticketed for impeding traffic on roads with no shoulder and a double yellow line.

Most are gay like, they seldom obey traffic laws, in general they are a scourge to the safety of the motoring public.

If it would guarantee that people would treat me courteously and equitably, I'd happily get inspected and put a license plate on my bike. I already carry insurance. The reality is, people offer that as a complaint, but it wouldn't really change their attitude. It's weird, but the people who most often set forth that argument are otherwise small government types. Yet on this issue, they want more government. Would 8 year old kids be able to get their license, inspection and insurance at Wal-Mart? Will they have to pedal down to the DMV and wait in line with everyone else to get their license.

I very often disregard traffic laws. When I do it may just benefit you, it will never negatively impact you.

Your state law very likely allows you to legally pass on a double yellow to go around an "impediment." Go around a bicyclist like you would the mail truck or a tractor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cycling in traffic is a hell of a lot of fun.

I don't really ride anymore, but did avidly for years.

Whether a person on a bike or a fatazz in a diesel truck, an inconsiderate azzwhole is just that, inconsiderate.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It's weird, but the people who most often set forth that argument are otherwise small government types. Yet on this issue, they want more government.
No. They (we) want equitable treatment.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I wish they'd get over to the side of the road. Most of them seem to be riding out in the middle of the lane.

Sometimes there's a reason to be in the center of the lane. If you look at this link, you'll see the most common causes of car/bicycle crashes. The most common explanation given when a bicyclist is hit is "I didn't see him." At times I gravitate to the center of the lane to increase my visibility. I do as I approach and move through intersections. I may as I approach a blind hill or blind bend. This helps mitigate some of vulnerabilities the accompanying link mentions. Most states require bicyclists t stay as far right as practicable. That word is purposefully used rather than possible. Most state's laws go on to discuss times when bicyclists may take center lane. On a narrow road where there's not room for a car to safely overtake a bike completely within lane cyclists may take the full lane. This will often discourage a squeeze pass.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Whether a person on a bike or a fatazz in a diesel truck, an inconsiderate azzwhole is just that, inconsiderate.
How many considerate azzholes do you know?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't have much problem with bikers on the roads. It's more of a problem when they invade the trails during hunting season then bitch about us hunters. We were here 100 years before them.

We have a nice trail in Desoto National Forest in MS. They close it during hunting season Even if they didn't I wouldn't ride there. That said, is it really hard to find a place away from the trail to hunt where you are?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

Hi there neighbor! What do you do when you encounter a slow moving delivery truck or construction vehicle in your lane. How about granny who goes well below the speed limit. What do you do when there is a dead deer in your lane? Those things aren't hazards to alert motorists.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by MadMooner

How many considerate azzholes do you know?

They're a rare but beloved breed!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 43 1 2 3 4 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.