-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Four 99's on hand, but two were economies. Now the other two...

A 700 thousand serial numbered factory drilled and tapped uncheckered EG in 300. No big deal, but don't see those everyday either. $299. Wood was completely hashed.

A 400 thousand serial numbered "R-T" in 300. I'll let you guys fight that one out. 22" barrel, R-T forearm. Buttstock complete garbage, but surprisingly the rest of the gun had potential. Bluing good to pretty good, forearm needed stripping, refinish, and touched up checkering, but hey it's an RT. $399.

Made me sad both of them weren't better, even if they would have been more money. I would snap up a better "R-T".

Also had a Mossberg Palomino lever action 22 for $219, metal exc. wood good with some minor marks that wood easily refinish out. Always wanted one but not in the refinish mood right now.

Anyway, Cash Connection Central Point Oregon if anyone wants to mess with an R-T.

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Factory d&t,700,000 uncheckered EG,don't think there's such an animal.I would shy away from that pawn shop. smile

Last edited by sqweeler; 09/26/16.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As bad as it was, the stocks were took down with a belt sander no doubt. grin Good point on the checkering, I missed that completely. Just kept thinking about that R-T mutant.

LOL
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You never know if you don't stop to check. I stopped in the other day and found an excellent condition 1st year (1967) Remington 788 in 22-250 and a hardly ever seen Husqvarna Model 4000 "lightweight" small ring Mauser rifle in 270 Win. Made in 1954. It is a stunningly beautiful firearm. The checkering, and fit and finish is superb. I will keep the price to myself but you couldn't buy a 700 for what I paid for both.

And oh, the small ring Husky came with a great condition Lyman All American.

You never know.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It doesn't cost anything to stop and check does it? I have bought some amazing pieces at shops of all kinds.

LOL
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I stumbled onto a Stevens 414 Armory in a LGS on Saturday. I don't know enough about them so I passed on it, kinda. I know the shop owner from "back in the day" and he put it in the back for me until I call him, which I did tonight. After doing the research in West, Landis, Sharpe, et al tonight, I figured I better get it. Those guns were used by the Olympic team in 1910. They had a bunch of 50's-60's 99's too, but I glossed over them because that era doesn't interest me (too modern). I guess I better exercise due diligence and look a little closer and report on the condition/pricing of the 99's after I go back for the 414.

What really got my heart thumping was the two jars of SR-4759 he had on the shelf. I tucked them tightly under my arm until they were safely stashed in my truck. My all time favorite cast bullet powder, which in their infinite wisdom they discontinued last year. That gives me about 11 pounds of the stuff which must last me 'til the end. In a perfect world, I will have just enough of that powder left to load the shells I'll carry in my pocket when I take "The Road to Tinkhamtown".

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/26/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
"The Road to Tinkhamtown".

Corey Ford's The Road to Tinkamtown is perhaps the finest hunting tale ever told.

Blessings,

kd

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I stumbled onto a Stevens 414 Armory in a LGS on Saturday. I don't know enough about them so I passed on it, kinda. I know the shop owner from "back in the day" and he put it in the back for me until I call him, which I did tonight. After doing the research in West, Landis, Sharpe, et al tonight, I figured I better get it. Those guns were used by the Olympic team in 1910. They had a bunch of 50's-60's 99's too, but I glossed over them because that era doesn't interest me (too modern). I guess I better exercise due diligence and look a little closer and report on the condition/pricing of the 99's after I go back for the 414.

A Stevens 414 has been on my "must have" list for some time now. Are you going to use it in the postal match? Please do post some pictures when you take possession.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Will do, but I already fired my official targets. I doubt too if using a different (better) gun would have done anything to improve my 25 yard offhand score anyway. This from somebody who lived and breathed NRA Smallbore Silhouette in a previous life, and was a solid AA shooter in it. Using it for 50 yards probably wouldn't do better than the scoped 1933NRA did too. The only thing that would have done better for me would have been my 52 Winchester, but that would've been cheating.

While the 414 Armory is a desirable gun, to me, what I would really like to find is a Stevens 417 Walnut Hill. I would cheerfully sell off part of my collection to finance a crisp one of those.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/27/16.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kududude

"The Road to Tinkhamtown".

Corey Ford's The Road to Tinkamtown is perhaps the finest hunting tale ever told.

Blessings,

kd

In high school, I had a great English teacher who included "The Road to Tinkhamtown" in the course of study.

This fine story even managed to capture the interest of a couple of pot-heads in the class, something which I'm sure wasn't easy to do.

You can read the entire unabridged story HERE

Trust me, it is worth the time to read it.

John

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 414 and 417 are both desirable .22s.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A Very Good Story! Thanks so much for it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Road to Tinkhamtown. Great read! Thanks for posting the link, and thanks to gnoahhh for the original reference.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You're welcome. Corey Ford is one of my all time favorite authors.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I found that depressing.. very good reading, but no relationship with wife or son? That's a horrible thought to me.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, there are some of us who aren't married and have no children. For us, a dog, a gun, and a lifetime of memories from time spent in the bird coverts and deer thickets are a pretty decent substitute.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, there are some of us who aren't married and have no children. For us, a dog, a gun, and a lifetime of memories from time spent in the bird coverts and deer thickets are a pretty decent substitute.

I understand, and I even know a lot of married folk that fit the story or kids who ended up making life choices that removed them from their family's lives. Just saying that for me, it was depressing and would have been perfect without the mention of the wife/son.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I sure like that flat bottomed forearm on the R-T. Sure looks like it would ride a rifle rest well, unlike a TOMATO STAKE.

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.