Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm saving up to purchase another set of binos. I currently own a set of German made 8x32 Minox and a set of Zeiss Classic 10x40 T*P*. The Minox are good, but not great when compared to Zeiss or Swarovski. And I prefer the 10x glass. A few years ago, us kids pooled and bought dad an excellent used set of Swarovski SLC NEU 10x42 from Shrapnel and I've been pining after a similar set since. The Zeiss Classics are great class, but I wear eyeglasses most of the time and the rubber eyecups are a pain - I much prefer the twist-up eyecups of the Minox, but want the optical quality of the Swarovski. I'm not looking to buy brand-new optics because I can't afford new Swarovski or Zeiss. But I can afford excellent quality used Swarovski. Are there other options I should be looking at within these parameters? Meopta comes to mind, but I've never had a set in hand. I'm sure the opinions will abound. Let's say that the budget is in the $800 neighborhood and I want 10x40 or 10x42. I know others prefer 8x. I don't.
Thanks!
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Look at a set of Zeiss Conquest HD's.

Most of the reviews you'll find are extremely positive, most rating them very close to the best alpha glass currently available.

http://www.allbinos.com/index.html?test=lornetki&test_l=306

Of course the experts on this site find them to be subpar for the price. I woukd go look and compare for yourself. I did, ready to spend the $ for a full blown pair of Alphas. After 3 or 4 trips back and forth comparing everything they had and a pair purchased "intenret direct", I bought the Conquest HD's.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by selmer
I'm saving up to purchase another set of binos. I currently own a set of German made 8x32 Minox and a set of Zeiss Classic 10x40 T*P*. The Minox are good, but not great when compared to Zeiss or Swarovski. And I prefer the 10x glass. A few years ago, us kids pooled and bought dad an excellent used set of Swarovski SLC NEU 10x42 from Shrapnel and I've been pining after a similar set since. The Zeiss Classics are great class, but I wear eyeglasses most of the time and the rubber eyecups are a pain - I much prefer the twist-up eyecups of the Minox, but want the optical quality of the Swarovski. I'm not looking to buy brand-new optics because I can't afford new Swarovski or Zeiss. But I can afford excellent quality used Swarovski. Are there other options I should be looking at within these parameters? Meopta comes to mind, but I've never had a set in hand. I'm sure the opinions will abound. Let's say that the budget is in the $800 neighborhood and I want 10x40 or 10x42. I know others prefer 8x. I don't.
Thanks!
Selmer

I think you might be a couple days late. "Tract Optics Promotion , $100 off Toric optics!" ended yesterday.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have alpha glass and I have the Meopta Pro HD. I think the Pro/HD are pretty good, but I think older Swarovski SLC have the edge. I think the Meopta are worth the price, but not a steal. That is what my eyes say.

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. Terry's - that's exactly what I was looking for in opinion. I'm afraid that if I go less than what I want that I'll always pine for the Swaro SLCs. Saving wil take a few months, but I want to be able jump on a deal when it comes around.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If $900 is in your price range, you can get a pair of brand new discontinued Leica Trinovid 10x42. Excellent product.

I know some folks here don't like Leica service, but if you are the original owner you get a 3 year passport warranty and after that a limited warranty. I have never had to use Leica service and I own many Leica Products and can report no problems yet and helpfully none. One pair of Binoculars that I own is over 30 years old and not one problem.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 09/28/16.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have been using my Zeiss ClassiC's for over a decade but recently tried a set of Trinovid's and was impressed. Where are they selling for $900?

If the new SLC's where not $1795 I would have a pair but I also have a budget that is limiting me to $1000....

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just googled them and I do see EuroOptic has the Trinovid at $879

Ted
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I kept bidding on SLC's from authorized retailers on eBay and got a new current model 10x42 for $1300 and am done shopping for at least the next decade. The Meopta hd's are very nice and can usually be had used for $800 or so. In my opinion they are much better than the Conquests that don't improve on your Classics much to my eyes and I really like Zeiss glass.

If you are patient and ready to pounce on a deal you'll probably be able to find one on what you really want. The binos you already own are just fine and you can always sell them to make up the difference too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
If $900 is in your price range, you can get a pair of brand new discontinued Leica Trinovid 10x42. Excellent product.

I know some folks here don't like Leica service, but if you are the original owner you get a 3 year passport warranty and after that a limited warranty. I have never had to use Leica service and I own many Leica Products and can report no problems yet and helpfully none. One pair of Binoculars that I own is over 30 years old and not one problem.

+1 I have the 40008 model 8x42 and could not be more pleased , they were a steal at under 900 and NIB

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
After seeing several "new" Swarovski 10x42 SLC listed on ebay I called Swarovski support to verify which ones are "HD".

Models 58210 & 58310 are both HD with 58310 being the current model. Some of SLC's currently on ebay are 58010 or 58110 which are the older non HD models

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ted,
That's good info - thank you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I plan on selling the Minox. They're in great condition. My daughter, who has perfect eyesight, has pretty well claimed the Zeiss ClassiCs. She's my deer hunting nut and LOVES using them. Switching back and forth so we could both use them in the stand with my glasses on was a PITA last weekend, so I've decided to save up and go for another alpha set for my own use. The ClassiCs will always be great glass, but not for use with eyeglasses. The eye relief isn't quite right for my use and unless I'm wearing my rigid contact lenses, they're not a joy to use. I have pretty severe keratoconus in my right eye which requires custom-ground rigid contacts to get me to 20/20 vision, but they're aren't extremely comfortable and eyeglasses are more convenient for daily use and scouting. With eyeglasses my right-eye vision correction is still horrible - it's impossible to improve it beyond not giving me a severe headache when wearing glasses. When hunting I have the contacts in because I'm a right-handed, right-eye dominant shooter. I'm not sure I want to go the Leica route because of the horror stories I've heard on their customer service, or lack thereof.

Selmer

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of 8x32 swarovski slc neu and a meostar 10x42. I'm no expert and with vision correct by contacts see 20-20. I really can't see an advantage either way with these two comparison. I think if you found a pair of meostar 10x42 hd you would be more than satisfied. Just my opinion.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spoke with Doug from Cameraland last week on the same subject. Vortex Razor HD's for around 900. He said (and he sells a lot of binos, including the big 3) that I would not be able to tell the difference from my Leica Geovids. That's high praise from a guy who can sell any of them and does sell a lot. He is a sponsor on here and highly thought of.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Spoke with Doug from Cameraland last week on the same subject. Vortex Razor HD's for around 900. He said (and he sells a lot of binos, including the big 3) that I would not be able to tell the difference from my Leica Geovids. That's high praise from a guy who can sell any of them and does sell a lot. He is a sponsor on here and highly thought of.

No , not even close Vortex Razor HD's are good glass but not in the Leica,Zeiss or Swaro category.

My leica trinovids that I bought for 879 on the interweb smoke my Vortex Razor HD s in clarity. Its almost not fair. The Razors are less then a year old no more no less.

Leica horror stories , relax its the interweb. OUt of all the optics makes I have owned I have never returned Leicas for any issue.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Selmer,

I encourage you to give the Toric 10x42 a look. With the reviews out now from customers who have purchased and compared them to many Alpha level optics, you may be pleasantly surprised. Between the reviews here and on Bird Forum, customers have compared the Toric to the SLC's and in most cases, do not notice a difference in their criteria or even find the Toric in some categories, to be better.

We did just end our $100 off promotion, but if you're interested, send me a PM and we can work something out.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trevor,

Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics
Selmer,

I encourage you to give the Toric 10x42 a look. With the reviews out now from customers who have purchased and compared them to many Alpha level optics, you may be pleasantly surprised. Between the reviews here and on Bird Forum, customers have compared the Toric to the SLC's and in most cases, do not notice a difference in their criteria or even find the Toric in some categories, to be better.

We did just end our $100 off promotion, but if you're interested, send me a PM and we can work something out.

I was hoping you would do something for him. I really looked at my stuff and finally decided I probably couldn't sell my Alpen Tetons 10X50 soon enough to take advantage if your sale. Sure wanted to.

Ringman

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm still several hundred dollars away from pulling the trigger on a purchase. My research phase is long and joyful. smile A few more gigs here and there, another wedding and funeral and I'll be close. I'll be swinging through Cabelas to do more hands-on research in a few weeks.

Selmer

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Too bad you are not interested in the 8x in the SLC; as I am going to be listing for sale soon a 8x42 SLC ( in HD) in excellent condition- and the price will be quite reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.