24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I just read an editorial by the IDFG. Apparently there are rumors floating around that lighted nocks and expanding broadheads are now legal in Idaho. Not true. Neither is legal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just curious, why are lighted nocks illegal?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
lighted nocks don't make sense RE being illegal.

OTOH I've never seen a need to have a lighted nock over my archery years. I can't think of a single time it would have made any difference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Just curious, why are lighted nocks illegal?

You can not have any electronic devices attached to the bow or arrow.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having hunted with and without them I will always opt for using them now when legal and I have them.

The ability to see very clearly the impact, plus the amount of penetration and at times seeing the arrow on the ground or in the bush behind the target makes finding it quick and easy.

On occasion you are blood tracking and find the arrow on the trail, maybe you lose the blood track but see the lighted nock in the distance to jump ahead and start tracking from that point.

I cannot see in anyway even slightly that they are an advantage to help you make a better shot or improve your odds of making the shot. They are however a huge advantage at game recovery especially in fading light which is the worst time to track anyway.

There is simply no downside to the use of a lighted nock. Only recovery advantages!

Oh ..... there is an undeniable cool factor when using them while on video. Seeing that laser light streak through the air and then the impact is about as good as it gets. Being able to watch this video a frame at a time also makes it easier to see the impact point and know where your shot actually hit.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a light on my bow site. I would assume that's electronic and would make my rig illegal?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blackmamba
I have a light on my bow site. I would assume that's electronic and would make my rig illegal?
In Idaho it's illegal. Tritium pins are ok. At one time the rule also applied to rifles but they changed it a few years ago so electronic scopes are now legal.

Idaho has made some rules to keep 'primitive' weapons a bit more primitive compared to the most modern stuff. We can't use expanding broadheads, either. Crossbows can be used in rifle seasons but not in archery seasons. Muzzle loaders can't have scopes or use 209 primers for caps. Powder must be loose, no pellets.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Idhao has held a line for as long as I can remember that primitive weapons must not be electronically aided in the aiming system in any way.

They allow fiber optic sights on bows and muzzleloaders, but not much else other than what RC pointed out.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the same is true in Montana.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Idhao has held a line for as long as I can remember that primitive weapons must not be electronically aided in the aiming system in any way.

They allow fiber optic sights on bows and muzzleloaders, but not much else other than what RC pointed out.
Pennsylvania's Primitive Weapons season only allows for flintlocks with open sights, and I believe it specifically says you must shoot a patched round ball.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho allows percussion caps and peep sights. Caps must be visible and exposed to the weather when it's cocked. Lead non-jacketed bullets are ok but no sabots. In all, it pretty much limits you to Kentucky or Hawken style rifles.

But back to the arrows...Idaho has an archery regulation that prohibits the use of arrows where the broadhead does not precede the nock and shaft. Years ago someone invented an arrow with the head at the rear. I've never seen one, or even a picture of one, so I can't imagine what it looked like. I started bowhunting in the 60's and it was before that. Whatever it was, it's prohibited. My Google-foo failed to find a pic of one.

I said earlier that Idaho allows tritium sight pins. That was an error. I meant to say fiber optics sights. Tritium is prohibited.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lighted mocks would help in the recovery of game. Something I wish Idaho would consider.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho allows percussion caps and peep sights. Caps must be visible and exposed to the weather when it's cocked. Lead non-jacketed bullets are ok but no sabots. In all, it pretty much limits you to Kentucky or Hawken style rifles.
Wrong. This is legal in ID.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.