24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went to the LGS yesterday in hopes of scoring some more Reloader 26 and primers. Made the mistake of cruising the used rack out on the floor and spotted a cute little .410. Turned out to be a Savage 220 that had been nicely refinished at some point, including the frame. There were a couple of new spots on the end of the barrel and near the hinge pin, but nothing serious. Nice little gun. I'd been kinda-sorta thinking about a .410 single for woods walking, but hadn't seen anything locally before this.

I lke that it's a hammerless design, which I feel is safer for little hands with short, weak thumbs. My grandson has been shooting a .22 from the bench, but will be big enough for squirrels soon.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I held two SxS 410's the day before last, one an inexpensive italian job, and the other like a Stevens.

It was like someone sucked my heart out when I walked out without either of them.

But I got a few things I have to take care of first...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those 220's are pretty good guns, Pappy. Now keep your eyes open for some barrels in other chamberings to compliment it. If you stumble onto a 219 rifle barrel it would be worth seeing if it fits, too. I remember my old man fitting a 220 shotgun barrel to his 219 with .30-30 and Hornet barrels.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
I held two SxS 410's the day before last, one an inexpensive italian job, and the other like a Stevens.

It was like someone sucked my heart out when I walked out without either of them.

But I got a few things I have to take care of first...

Me too, but I bought the 220 anyway.

Even the 311s are pretty pricey these days. Danged quail hunters!

When you do start shopping, take a look at some of the Turkish guns like the CZs.

Speaking of sxs's they shop also had a plain Elsie 12ga, presumeably a Marlin from the 70s. Sidelock, of course, and dbl triggers. $650, a bit high for me, especially considering I can't hit squat with sxs's.

What fresh Hell is this?
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the two I held were 300 and 400 respectively.

Both were worth it IMO, although the nickel finish on the Italian job was coming off. Side takedown lever, long hinge, single lump. Looks like it had been stored in a barn, but no rust.

The other one was very clean. Had an American surname as a manufacturer. Tough to open though - think that was because it was rarely if ever used and stored in a closet - collecting dust.

I can't keep reliving this.

It's killing me...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Those 220's are pretty good guns, Pappy. Now keep your eyes open for some barrels in other chamberings to compliment it. If you stumble onto a 219 rifle barrel it would be worth seeing if it fits, too. I remember my old man fitting a 220 shotgun barrel to his 219 with .30-30 and Hornet barrels.

I saw a good bit on that while trying to find out more about my new toy. Seems that my 220 will work with barrels from later vintage models, but the reverse isn't always true. My gun cocks when you push the top lever. Newer ones are cocked when you swivel the barrel down like most other break-action guns. The newer barrels have a cocking bar that pushes against the internal hammer those guns have. My gun is striker fired, apparently. I'm not really looking to expand on this thing just now as I've already got way too many projects under way.

One caveat on the striker-fired guns is that there are reports that failing to fully operate the lever can leave the firing pin exposed and cause a slamfire when closed on a fresh round. Without a schematic, I don't know if there's a return spring or not. Might have to check my copy of The Rifle in America for a drawing or info on the 219.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nunrich has all kinds of barrels listed, all out of stock of course. I was surprised to see .410 barrels choked IC and Mod. Looks possible that the trigger guards were originally cast pot metal as I've read, but they also list a shotgun-style replacement like the one on mine. Hard to say what it was originally, and I like the one I've got just fine.

I looked up the 219 in Sharpe's book, which was published the same year the gun came out. He was very positive about it. List price was less than $15 in 1938, and under $18 for a combination. Other than the barrels, the guns are identical. Surprisingly, the barrel and locking lug are forged in one piece.

Altogether a nice little piece, one I much prefer to an H&R or (gack!) one of those Rossi things.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.