Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by MadMooner
but there are lots of mean people that keep telling them they are going to hell.

That's because they are going to Hell. It's not hate, it's just being truthful, and as we all know, the truth can hurt. But, I respect their right to make that choice...just as I expect them to respect MY right to be a Christian.

So, you are saying that your god would not accept someone who didn't believe in him/her/it but who still chose to live a good life because they believed it was right, but, would accept someone who did believe in him/her/it and who lived a good life out of some fear of punishment or the promise of reward? Saying "you must believe in me, love me, worship me" etc. sounds very narcissistic, which is a human failing. I think there is far more evidence that we created our gods than the other way around.

Last edited by cooper57m; 09/30/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
but there are lots of mean people that keep telling them they are going to hell.

That's because they are going to Hell. It's not hate, it's just being truthful, and as we all know, the truth can hurt. But, I respect their right to make that choice...just as I expect them to respect MY right to be a Christian.

If it's "the truth", show us your evidence.

If you can't prove this claim, than it's just an empty threat to try and create converts for your religion.

Just look at the world around you... the plants, the animals, the mountains, the rivers, the seas, the 4 seasons, and tell me that it "just happened". Without a doubt, there is a higher power.

It's always the same old drivel.

The only thing "without a doubt" is you have no proof of your fantasies, and no right to force them on anyone else.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m

So, you are saying that your god would not accept someone who didn't believe in him/her/it but who still chose to live a good life because they believed it was right, but, would accept someone who did believe in him/her/it and who lived a good life out of some fear of punishment or the promise of reward? Saying "you must believe in me, love me, worship me" etc. sounds very narcissistic, which is a human failing. I think there is far more evidence that we created our gods than the other way around.

I'm not going to argue religion, or as to whether or not there is a God, because I'm not a Bible scholar, I'm just an ordinary Christian. You are free to believe as you so choose. I happen to believe there is indeed a God, and that he sent his son Jesus Christ to come and die on the cross, in order that I (and you too if you wish) might be forgiven of my sins and enter into the Kingdom of God (Heaven), after I die. It's just that simple. If you choose not to believe that, all I can say is that's it's your loss. I would sincerely hope that you would come to the same conclusion I have, and find everlasting life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What?

You dont believe in higher power? grin

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I'm not going to argue religion, or as to whether or not there is a God, because I'm not a Bible scholar, I'm just an ordinary Christian. You are free to believe as you so choose. I happen to believe there is indeed a God, and that he sent his son Jesus Christ to come and die on the cross, in order that I (and you too if you wish) might be forgiven of my sins and enter into the Kingdom of God (Heaven), after I die. It's just that simple. If you choose not to believe that, all I can say is that's it's your loss. I would sincerely hope that you would come to the same conclusion I have, and find everlasting life.

In other words, you have no evidence, you just believe the fairy tales that makes you feel the most comfortable.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I think i have seen christians discuss the wonders of Christ and none judging by declaring someone is going to hell. It would be interesting to see where a poster said that outside quoting scripture.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cooper57M and Gus,

As atheists, what are your views on ghosts, aliens, and bigfoot?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MojoHand

If it's "the truth", show us your evidence.

If you can't prove this claim, than it's just an empty threat to try and create converts for your religion.

Just look at the world around you... the plants, the animals, the mountains, the rivers, the seas, the 4 seasons, and tell me that it "just happened". Without a doubt, there is a higher power.

And there it is, folks!

The first circular argument from ignorance on this particular thread! grin

No, the argument based on faith.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by barm
cooper57M and Gus,

Speaking for myself, I see no evidence supporting a belief in ghosts, bigfoot, nor developed extraterrestrial visitors to earth.

Gus may see things a little different, or waaaay different after a few bowls of weed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
No, the argument based on faith.

Faith is a circular argument.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cooper57M and Gus,

Speaking for myself, I see no evidence supporting a belief in ghosts, bigfoot, nor developed extraterrestrial visitors to earth.

Gus may see things a little different, or waaaay different after a few bowls of weed.

antelope sniper,

Thank you for the reply.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
cooper57M and Gus,

lol. just how did you manage to conclude that i am, or might even be an atheist?

to expand or expound on your rather direct question, i'd suggest it's very possible a lot of early day desert tribes, and others didn't know what to call a space alien but God, since the technology of the possible aliens so exceeded anything the goat-herders were aware of. wandering around in the desert from water hole to waterhole, searching for green grass in the interim was no small task. to meet a god, space alien, etc, would certainly shift one's perspective, is what i'm thinking.

but, who really knows for sure?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm ok with religious folk believing in whatever god you wish that makes you happy and encourages you to be a decent person that won't kill me or steal my stuff. I promise not to do that to you either, so we are good. I'm also ok if you need a promise of an afterlife to make death easier for you to deal with. I'm ok with the fad to black that it I think it will most very likely be. I'm not ok with people telling me that their loving god will send me to hell just because I don't believe. That's just an attempt of recruiting thru intimidation. It's the ultimate hubris for people to try to speak for a "god". That should be the greatest sin of them all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
cooper57M and Gus,

lol. just how did you manage to conclude that i am, or might even be an atheist?

to expand or expound on your rather direct question, i'd suggest it's very possible a lot of early day desert tribes, and others didn't know what to call a space alien but God, since the technology of the possible aliens so exceeded anything the goat-herders were aware of. wandering around in the desert from water hole to waterhole, searching for green grass in the interim was no small task. to meet a god, space alien, etc, would certainly shift one's perspective, is what i'm thinking.

Thanks for the reply.

I started reading this thread earlier today and it got me to thinking how differing groups of people, i.e. Christians, atheists view other phenomena like ghosts, aliens, and bigfoot. I know several Christians and I know what they think, but I was curious how another group being a polar opposite would see it?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
cooper57M and Gus,

They are fun make believe stuff, like Santa Claus. If mankind doesn't or can't understand something, they make stuff up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do they think?

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus
cooper57M and Gus,

Thanks for the reply.

I started reading this thread earlier today and it got me to thinking how differing groups of people, i.e. Christians, atheists view other phenomena like ghosts, aliens, and bigfoot. I know several Christians and I know what they think, but I was curious how another group being a polar opposite would see it?

your assumption is pretty severe, in my interpretation. i've always thought that Jesus was/is the greatest teacher to ever incarnate on the face of the earth. not to say there weren't and haven't been other Great Teachers as well. does one have to believe in the mystical side of Christ, in order to be saved? yeah? what about those folks who wish to practice the Teachings that Jesus laid down? are they not xtians? apparently not in your book. but, that's ok. believe what you wish, and carry-on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cooper57M and Gus,

They are fun make believe stuff, like Santa Claus. If mankind doesn't or can't understand something, they make stuff up.

Thank you for replying.

Most of the Christians I talked to felt the same way. I guess some Christians and atheists would find some common ground on this issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus
cooper57M and Gus,

Thanks for the reply.

your assumption is pretty severe, in my interpretation. i've always thought that Jesus was/is the greatest teacher to ever incarnate on the face of the earth. not to say there weren't and haven't been other Great Teachers as well. does one have to believe in the mystical side of Christ, in order to be saved? yeah? what about those folks who wish to practice the Teachings that Jesus laid down? are they not xtians? apparently not in your book. but, that's ok. believe what you wish, and carry-on.

Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention. My point is many people whether Christian or atheist won't believe in something they can't feel, see, or touch. It's not a judgement just an observation.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
cooper57M and Gus,

Thank you for replying.

Most of the Christians I talked to felt the same way. I guess some Christians and atheists would find some common ground on this issue.

I have common ground with many Christians, beginning with ABC......anybody but clinton.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.