Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Add 6 more on and you have a chance. 55 is crowded for several miles coming in from anywhere. Just remember it's a real bitch getting an elk out from that distance. Alot of rugged terrain in that unit. I was told by a game manager that they went to a draw for archery and muzzle loader cuz of heavey crowds pushing them so far back in that not enough were getting killed in the rifle season. Plus winters have been later so the migration is later thus even less getting shot in 2nd and 3rd rifle. Just my 2 cents

GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
One other piece of advice, outfitters have drop camps in areas on 55. Some are as far back as 12 miles. There are up to 6 hunters in each camp. So basically if you hike that far in you could be surrounded by hunters who got a horseback ride in aND are living in a wall tent with all the luxuries that you won't have. So make sure there are no outfitters with drop camps in that a area. Sucks to bust your ass walking that far in to find hunters walking out of tent nicely refreshed. Plus the horses come take out anything they shoot why you are ready to pass out from walking with all that weight.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
well from google map I have not found area that's 10 miles from a road. Unless these trails I see are closed

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Get to the edge of the national forest line and follow a trail 6-10 miles and camp there. Im not about to give the trail we follow over internet. we are 10 miles in based on our travel in,not strait line. that will get you away from most people. Most camp on the national forest boarder and walk a couple of miles in to hunt. Then walk back out.

Last edited by Pahunter69; 09/10/16.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I not looking for specific information. the place I picked out is 2 miles in straight line over rough terrain. The biologist told me it holds lots of elk but its rough terrain. if you were to hike in from a trail it be 6 to 8 miles and then hike over a mountain. I asked him specifically for a hard to reach place. Thanks man. My first time in 55. I have done tons of research. Looked at atlas. TOPO maps. Google earth.

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Give it try. Remember elk go where people are likely not to be. Remote meadows are a great place to check out. Get high above the meadows in the mornings and let them come up through the saddles to you. Good luck

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I had always wanted to check that area out myself. Looks like ponderosa's, pinon, and canyonlands to me.

I'm kinds surprised to hear some of the guys say it's crowded but maybe it is one of those units where they issue a lot of tags.

I think smokepole and Alpincrick are the regulars that are closest to that vicinity. Beanman and Exbiologist are a little further off. If you can get the opinion of one of those guys they might know how to hunt it.

please disregard this previous post - I was thinking of someplace else.

slingblade, You are going about it the right way. Study the maps and learn whatever you can any way that you can. It sounds like the elk there are pressured and smart. Like anywhere else, look for escape routes, look for saddles on the ridges, look for steep terrain. You seem to have a good grasp of the odds you face and you are doing all the right things to give yourself a chance.

My group left our traditional hunting unit some years ago because they reclassified it as an A-list tag. Since then we have hunted a new unit each of the past 6 years and we always kill a couple. We have to do the exact same thing as you – lots of research up front.

Hunting pressure is not always a bad thing. If you position yourself along a good escape route opening morning you will have a chance. I’m sure elk will be killed in that unit every season somehow or other. Have several plans at your disposal. Be sure to have at least one contingency plan and think about what herd and hunter movement will look like in bad weather vs. in hot dry weather. Opening day strategy should usually be a lot different than the days following.

I think what you are doing is pretty cool. I wish you success.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone who hunted 55 this year did you any elk.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No one killed anything yet

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
slingblade: http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforu...455988&MESSAGES=227&FF=5#4288845

Lots of elk being taken out WEST by bow hunters, many of these are from Colo, Cazadore and Teetons for sure.

Choose your best bet location and give it a shot. I already offered you a location, it might be crowded, elk will be on the move, as many hunters will be there, and elk will be pushed from other nearby units to your 55 unit. Good Luck ! HH

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
slingblade Here is a you tube video of Tincup Colo area. Just a look see scenery video, not a hunt video. HH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elj9f8zjIYY

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
See your PM's... flashing envelope, there is a short video of Cumberland Pass and to the Alpine Tunnel. Pretty country at 12,018 ft elev. Have a good hunt slingblade ! HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 10/14/16.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Man. Been busy last few days

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It is okay... I understand. See your flashing envelope I sent you a web link for mtn bike trails in Crested Butte area. It shows google Maps of locations and some have Vimeo videos also, pretty cool stuff.

https://14erskiers.com/blog/crested-butte-mountain-bike-guide/

Posted for all the 24 hour campfire members to use. Just read the article for links highlighted with a blue "Click here"
HH

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Headed out west Wednesday Morning I got 10 areas identified. I am ready to put boots on ground. I want to thanks everyone for there help. I post pictures and give reports on what I found.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Have a safe trip and a successful hunt slingblade. Looking forward to your success and and photos if available. I think you will see the maps and real time on the mountain have a huge difference. Somehow those close elevation terrain lines don't do justice to those beautiful mountains out West ! : ) Good Luck, HH

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Found elk but none were legal. Had a awesome time. Hells half acre is something to see. Looking into 74 75 751 next year any info would be appreciated. Pm me if you want more info. I hunted 10 different areas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.