Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I received the Colorado contingent's targets. Here are the results for Colodog and Gwrench:

50 yards benchrest, post 1960 Savage:

Gwrench:

[Linked Image]

Colodog:

[Linked Image]

I'll let them supply the commentary if they choose to do so.

Make no mistake, colodog is a much better shot than I am. His weakness is he gets bored with a gun that shoots well and gives no drama. He loves a project!

That was the situation that led to a deal where I acquired his bull barrel Savage Mark II with accutrigger. He ended up with a generic Mark II with standard trigger. It needed some love but in the end it may need more than he can give it.

Last edited by gwrench; 09/27/16.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm just hoping for a "Participation Award" for my 1.185" group.
The Rifle I shot is a current model MKII sporter weight barrel, non accutrigger, 6x burris, AO. CCI Standard ammo.
My recommendation is, if you want a current model don't try to save money, GET THE ACCU-TRIGGER!
The cheaper trigger is so heavy from Savage as to be barely usable.
Rifle Basix has a trigger part that helped a bit but it can only do so much and I modified it as well but it's inferior non the less.
I have some work to do...

Gwrench was shooting the heavy barrel accutrigger model with a Mueller 4.5-14 AO mildot scope, CCI Standard ammo.
It'll do for golf balls at 100yds and he handled it very well at 50yds, no surprise.

Thanks Gnoahhh, for running the match and posting the results so far.

It's fun to see the classy older rifles shot so well too.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I will have to check the car. I only brought 3 in, I think Mallow ate it. Mallow is the cow that tried to kiss Gary through his window. When she was born, her mother dropped her in a creek and left. My BIL found her, and Doc Schultz bottle raised her. She thinks she is a 1200 pound lap dog. She knows my wife's Tahoe that I was driving.

Jeff, here's my 1919. Rick said they made about 11000 units the first year. I think this one is 7978, so it would stand to reason it's a first year production.

[Linked Image]

That is a very neat Savage trainer Joe. That should get a prize for best looking .22

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Jeff, I went to an auction to see a Spiegel and brought them both home, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was starting to wonder if I would make the deadline. My daughter and her husband had a baby girl on 8/29. Joan and I went down to the twin cities for a couple weeks. Then the day before we were ready to leave my son's wife delivered twins (boy and girl) 6 weeks early. Finally got back last night and was hoping for calm morning ... got it. Here is my post-60 target, Savage-Anschutz 54 sporter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Keith, next year I'm going to try and match that with my 1919. Nice shootin, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Keith, are you sure you're measuring them correctly? Unless my eyes deceive me, that group is a lot smaller than .440". It appears that the calipers are positioned from the outside-to-center of the farthest holes, when it should be outside-to-inside of the farthest holes (which translates to center-to-center). It looks like a .440 group but the calipers are speaking to me differently.

Any way you cut it, that's some mighty fine shooting! smile What ammo did you use?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/29/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Keith, are you sure you're measuring them correctly? Unless my eyes deceive me, that group is a lot smaller than .440".

Gary, ammo was Remington Eley Match. The .440 is outside to outside, in the pic below the best target I wrote: .440 - .220 = .220 group. That right hole edge is hard to tell, it's sort of flat. I put the caliper back on, middle-to-middle and got 0.244. So it's somewhere between .220 and .244.

This was the first time I fired high quality .22 ammo through the rifle. With CCI SV, the best I've done ins .350-.400; clearly the quality ammo makes a difference.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 09/29/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad I didn't enter the post-`60.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Gulp, me too. (Although I have generated a bunch of similar bughole groups with my pre-war M52.)

Ok, I see the equal sign in your notation now. I'll enter your score as .220". smile

IC B3

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Ammo does make a difference, indeed. Only once in my life did I find cheap ammo to perform with the best. It was with Federal Champions back in the 80's. I bought a couple boxes one day, found them to shoot equally well as Eley Tenex in my M1922 M2 Springfield, went back the next day and bought every box of that same lot # they had.

An old smallbore competitor told me once that he took a micrometer with him when he bought .22 ammo. If he found some, from any maker, that mic'ed .225 bullet diameter, he would buy every one they had.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow! Good shooting Keith, that will be hard to beat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Way to go Kieth, .220" ! cool

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Real nice shooting!

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's my attempt to be in the same league as Kieth... sorry Kieth, I'm in a different league, different park, and different game, the possum is all yours Brother! My best group is 3X BIGGER .6325" c-c!

the equipment: Savage-Anschutz 54 sporter, weaver 15x, Lapua Center-X

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 10/02/16.

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, when I shot I had absolutely perfect conditions, no wind and cloudy. I first fired 10 rounds out of that box of Remington Eley Match on a plain paper target, just to season the bore a bit from cleaning. I could tell after 5 shots that the ammo was going to shoot better than any .22 ammo I'd ever shot before. All-in-all, the stars just lined up for me the morning I shot. I doubt I could repeat that group if I fired 100 more times.

I've never tried possum crazy

Here's a pic of the rifle. It has an older Leupold Vari-x II 3x9 AO on it. I sure wish the fellow I bought it from had not put on the recoil pad.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 10/02/16.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That's a beautiful rifle!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gwrench
That's a beautiful rifle!

Yup, what he said!

JeffG
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is tough! Not only finding the time, but holding still gets harder and harder. Savage 4C, the one I grew up shooting, with factory open sights.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I count #1: 37, #2: 21, #3: 36, #4: 25, #5: 27. Is that right?
I may not have time for the any sight bench rest shoot.

Last edited by docost99; 10/06/16.

Brian

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.