Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Robert_White
So it is all about the "fine grain" ?

How much stress does the actual action endure in a bolt action rifle? The end of the barrel forms most of the actual chamber. The bolt lugs lock into the action so the force is mostly to shear off backwards?

Am I thinking rightly?

By contrast the Remington 700 is machined from billet? But the billet was hammer forged? To straighten the grain???

In the case of the REmington 700 the barrel at one point was a casting and then heat treated and then hammerforged. The action is a blank of SS or CM and then heatreated, there is no forging.

Investment casting orients the grain structure in to the shape of the finished object and results in enormous strength.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 'investment castings' (lost wax process) that Ruger and others use to make products are strong and well engineered.

I bought those and other castings and have toured Ruger's Pine Tree Investment castings foundry in N.H.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

In the case of the REmington 700 the barrel at one point was a casting and then heat treated and then hammerforged. The action is a blank of SS or CM and then heatreated, there is no forging.

Investment casting orients the grain structure in to the shape of the finished object and results in enormous strength.

In the case of the 700 barrel there are a few stages besides heat treat between casting and hammer forging.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How can a "soup" of molten metal poured into a mold be strong enough to become a rifle action that must endure such high pressures?

Obviously the Ruger action holds up, but not understanding how it is done causes me to not have full confidence.

Can anybody put it in laymen's terms?

All steel starts out as a molten metal soup...that's how steel is made...then it's poured into some type of a mold to await it's final form...that's the basic process for making all steel.

Once you have a blob of steel, it's steel, with very different properties from the iron from whence it came.

When casting methods were primitive, forging used to have some advantages in some applications, but for some applications casting is stronger.

Now-a-days, casting technology is computer controlled to fractions of a degree, as is heat-treatment...that is also digitally controlled and the process is precisely optimized to favor the alloy being used.

It's high tech stuff...

Today, it's an extremely precise manufacturing process compared to the heavily bearded and muscled blacksmiths of olden days beating lumps of steel into primitive shapes...most guys alive now don't remember those days anyway.

But cast it or forge it...it's still steel...the rest of the story is all about engineering.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by SBTCO
As long as the material being poured is hot enough to go into solution before cooling and is properly heat treated and tempered for the specs. required it will work fine. Forging is used to shape steel but in practical terms does not induce magical properties into the steel above and beyond other methods of shaping steel, contrary to popular opinion.

Sorry, ....WRONG.

Etched Photo-micrographs will show superior grain structures in properly designed forgings AND castings that will not be present in the identical piece machined from rolled or cast billet.

GTC

All things being equal, its the heat treat that makes the difference.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's difficult to discuss something this complex in off the shelf , cryptic sound bites, and vague generalizations.

Example:

not at all sure just what you're trying to say,...

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Heat treat makes a big difference, but if it's got impurities or casting voids, that's a problem.

Lots of critical items are still forged, even in the modern age.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not that difficult to understand. All starts as soup. Some is cast as bar stock some is cast as something specific. All the same.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So it is all about the "fine grain" ?

How much stress does the actual action endure in a bolt action rifle? The end of the barrel forms most of the actual chamber. The bolt lugs lock into the action so the force is mostly to shear off backwards?

Am I thinking rightly?

By contrast the Remington 700 is machined from billet? But the billet was hammer forged? To straighten the grain???

Machining which tears the grain during the process.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that the billet or bar that is machined or forged was also once "soup".

Castings get a bad reputation because the alloying elements used to increase fluidity (generally silicon and carbon) make the material brittle and reduce its impact strength.

A very high degree of process development and process control means that steel castings can be made with standard alloys and without inclusions, voids or other casting flaws. It can be done, but you are not going to buy those castings for $2 a pound.

Even with high silicon and carbon, tiny amounts of alloying elements can be added that make the graphite inclusions spherical. Given proper annealing, these cast irons (called nodular irons) are suitable for automotive suspension applications, like steering knuckles, that are high shock applications.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by sidepass
Not that difficult to understand. All starts as soup. Some is cast as bar stock some is cast as something specific. All the same.

Not really true. Yes, it all comes from the furnace as molten steel, but bar stock is not "cast as bar stock..." Bar stock is rolled which results in aligning and refining the grain structure.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of the more interesting parts of Stuart Ottesons book on bolt action rifles was the part where he describes craftsman taking Ruger 77 actions out of the mold, placing them in a jig with dial indicators and then beating the hell out of them until they are straight.
I never really cared for the brick of steel look, the crude unfinished action rails or the wacky bottom metel, but reading about the actions being pounded on sealed the deal for me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
TRW made the best M14 of all time. Receiver was cast if I remember correctly.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I recall reading where the purpling of parts is due to a high silicon content. Have seen this on Rugers, Weatherby's, some Kimber parts etc.

I think the silicon makes the metal easier to mold.

Cheers, Chris

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
TRW made the best M14 of all time. Receiver was cast if I remember correctly.

8620 steel

....The stuff's a DREAM to work with, and smiles back at you as you weld it.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I believe Ruger Investment Casting also manufactures the Montana 1999 action which seems to be heald in high regard on the fire.I own one Hawkeye and one Montana, both work just fine and are strong. I am a designer in the fishing industry and work mainly with aluminum of various types and they all work. We also use different types of steel and titanium for guide frames. It all depends on applications. I am no expert on investment casting steel but back when Ruger developed the process they are using I think it was pretty new( I could be wrong). I may be wrong here but I think the tolerances on some fully machined actions are a bit tighter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by sidepass

Not really true. Yes, it all comes from the furnace as molten steel, but bar stock is not "cast as bar stock..." Bar stock is rolled which results in aligning and refining the grain structure.

Glad you're bringing this up,...it's more catch phrase vagueness, with no basis in reality.
Closest thing I can buy as "cast bar stock" is some specialty CONTINUOUS POUR FE ( PURE IRON) that's specific to making quality magnets, and such.
Outside of that, there is no such thing,..."bar stock" by industry definition is a ROLLED material.
Simplistic generalizations may not be be "difficult to understand".
....that doesn't make em' RIGHT, either.

GTC

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is Ruger's Pine Tree Investment Casting co's site:

Rugers Pine Tree Foundry

Here is a pic. from their site:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bottom line......... no rifle (or revolver) is any stronger overall than its weakest point functionally. Rugers are anything but flawed when it comes to weak points. In fact, some have complained about them being overbuilt.

Certainly, if I was stranded some place out in the wild parts of Alaska and my only source of supply was a single fly-over via SuperCub dropping 50 pounds of stuff, my Ruger stainless M77 223 and a hundred rounds of ammo would give me more confidence than any of the Winchester, Marlin, or Remington rifles and equal weights of ammo that my safe might hold.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Heat treat makes a big difference, but if it's got impurities or casting voids, that's a problem.

Lots of critical items are still forged, even in the modern age.

The fella' that wrote this knows more than a wee bit about making quality steel parts and pieces.

There's a good reason he chose the word bolded above.

Ruger and his team started scratching around on this process with SLIDE RULES, and vacuum tube based process equipment,....the staggering advances forward from that base in the last 40 years sees investment casting an industry byword, and reliable material qualities they were only DREAMING of at the beginning.

GTC

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,265 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.