Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Normally with deer I use the eye of round for stew meat, but with my elk this is now a big enough chunk of nice meat that I want to do something with it. Just curious if anyone has a favorite way to cook these. I'm tempted to try smoking it very rare, cutting into steaks and a quick trip on the grill, but open to suggestions.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
when in doubt, grind it into burger......

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I too have usually used most round meat for roasts and stew but maybe you could slice it across the grain, pound it a bit with or without some tenderizer and prepare it like chicken fried steak or something similar.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22

As good as the burger is, this is too nice of a piece of meat to grind.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used Eileen Clarke's www.riflesandrecipes.com recipe for Venison Stroganoff from "Slice of the Wild" pg. 138 cookbook. Outstanding!

Last edited by bobmn; 09/25/16.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bersh
Originally Posted by huntsman22

As good as the burger is, this is too nice of a piece of meat to grind.

WOW!!! Some clueless meat eaters! wink

The eye of round is an outstanding piece of meat for a chunk of round. It is accorded special treatment here whether from moose, caribou, deer, or whatever else.

Start with room temperature meat. For caribou (roughly elk size) lay the entire piece on a bed of rocksalt and completely cover with more salt. Make it about 3/8" or so thick on top and pile around the sides as required to make it completely covered. It takes a lot of salt.

Allow it to sit for a at least 15 minutes before putting it under a very hot broiler. For caribou about 20 minutes is right. Add about 5 minutes for elk.

Remove from heat and rest it for about 10 minutes before breaking open the salt shell. Should produce an extremely tender piece of rare meat works well with any number of sauces and/or horseradish.

Moose EOR gets cut in half because they are just too big to do whole. They also get more time under the broiler and resting.

The meat is not salty at all, very tender, and very much like prime rib. Just finished cutting up the moose from this year's hunt and the last moose was started and finished yesterday... way over 200 packages of meat, 146 packages of burger included. The EOR pieces were tracked to make sure they were properly labeled and babied...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This works fine for two medium elk eye of round steaks. You might want to double the ingredients if you cook four steaks.

Step #1 - Beat it into submission with a tenderizing hammer.

Step #2 - Marinate in Montreal Steak Seasoning for at least 4 hours.

Step #3 - Put the following in a crock pot. Mix up some brown gravy mix. Just about any instant pre-mix will work. Put in 1/2 cup of chopped onions and 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms. Add a can of Mushroom Soup and 2 tablespoons or margarine. Add just enough water to cover the meat.

Step #4 - Cook it in a crock pot, on low setting, for about 8 hours.

Step #5 - Enjoy.

BTW the gravy is great on potatoes or anything else you want to put it on. Don't waste it.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Some good advice here, some bad. DO NOT GRIND! If you are that desperate I will be in Michigan next summer and will gladly trade you in equal poundage ground beef from your local market (pm me). You are dealing with, IMHO, the 2nd best cut on elk or deer. It is hard to screw up unless you overcook it. GRILL IT!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I love this cut! The broil recipe above would be great. If you want to try something new, try Corning it using Hank shaws recipe. Whatever you do slice it across the grain.

Last edited by wildcat33; 09/29/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just showed my d-i-l how to do a moose EOR last night. Slathered it in mustard before the salt and baked as usual in a very hot oven.

My cheap meat thermometer failed to register until struck repeatedly... and I overcooked it a bit. The rare pieces were extremely moist and tender. Te overcooked ends were a bit longer on the tooth, but still very good and simple.

30 minutes was too long for an EOR half from a bull moose.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use a similar method to Sitka Deer's, though mine is on the grill. Elk is too good to grind it up--if you're going to do that why did you even kill it in the first place?

I season the meat with Santa Maria tri tip rub material (2 tsp granulated garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp celery seed, mix in spice grinder to make all the pieces the same size, let the meat stand at room temp, coat with oil, put on the seasoning).

I set my grill up for indirect cooking (coals only on one side of the bowl). I do put some hickory wood chunks in the coals for some smoke. Grill over direct heat (over the coals) for 5 minutes, flip it over, grill over coals for 5 more minutes, then put it over the empty half (no coals underneath) until done. Done is 130 or 135 degrees tested with meat thermometer, usually another 15-20 minutes.

Let it sit on the counter for a while, at least 5 or so minutes before slicing. Cook up some garlic bread or whatever on the grill while it's sitting so you don't drool over it and slice into it too soon.

You can season it with whatever you want. Season it with fajita seasonings, cook same as above, serve with tortillas. You get the idea. Key to the eating is don't overcook it, let it sit at room temp before cooking, and let it sit on the counter after cooking it.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 10/02/16. Reason: forgot the hickory wood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 48 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,184
Posts18,465,685
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.