J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Australian sports stars urged to boycott anthem in AFL and NRL finals

HERE

Australian sports stars are being urged not to stand for the national anthem during this weekend's major rugby league and Aussie Rules finals, as a protest against racism.

The campaign was started by pop culture website Junkee, which called it a show of support for Indigenous Australians.

It has been inspired by American football player Colin Kaepernick.

The player has been refusing to stand for the US anthem before games as a protest against racial inequality.

Paul Gorrie, an Indigenous Australian activist involved in the Junkee campaign, said Kaepernick's protest made him think "why shouldn't we do that here?"

He said the Australian anthem, Advance Australia Fair, "was written in 1878 when land was still being stolen and black people were still being massacred".

It and the recent deaths of Indigenous Australians in police custody were "the impacts of our colonial history and the racism that continues to this day", he said.

"This is a call to action for ALL players to show solidarity by not singing and taking a kneel during the national anthem this weekend at the NRL and AFL grand finals."

"All players Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal should boycott the anthem and start changing Australia's ignorant mentality," he wrote.

Australian sport, in particular Aussie Rules football, has been marred by racism against indigenous players.

Adam Goodes, an Indigenous Australian who played for the Swans and has since retired, was repeatedly booed on the field and last year a rival fan was removed for allegedly telling him to "get back to the zoo".

Australia has also seen heated discussion on whether it should recognise indigenous people in its constitution, repeal clauses that prevent people of a certain race from voting and allow laws to be made based on race.

'Pretty stupid really'

The campaign has generated a mixed response.

Lance "Buddy" Franklin, one of the AFL's most high profile Aboriginal players, said there was "no chance" he would join an anthem boycott.

"First I've heard of it," Franklin said at the AFL grand final parade in Melbourne on Friday.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid really. It's the Australian national anthem, it's a part of our sport, our history."

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has described the campaign as "divisive".

"This is a weekend where everyone comes together," he told 3AW Radio.

"The two big codes, the NRL and AFL, work hard to be inclusive and embrace modern Australia and all of its diversity.

"Sport is a really wonderful inclusive institution in Australia. It divides us in the sense that we support different teams, but only in a pretty good-natured way, but above all it pulls us together. That's why we should all sing."

Staying seated

Former rugby league player Joe Williams has been one of the loudest voices backing the campaign.

Williams, who is Aboriginal, has attracted controversy before for remaining seated during the anthem, during an Australia Day ceremony recognising his community work.

"Why should we sing something that doesn't represent us?" he told the BBC.

"Would Malcolm Turnbull feel comfortable if he was made to sing God Save the Queen?"

He dismissed suggestions that the country's biggest sporting events were inappropriate venues to make a political statement.

"You're a black man until the day you die," he said.

"You're only a footballer for a short amount of time."

First the poofter movement now this...every damn time you pack of dills come up with some new inanity the halfwits here just have to emulate it.

Stop it for Christ sake...enough already, cease, desist!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
This will help,or at the least make you feel better....
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
wait a minute...I thought in an effort to rid the Isles of poofters, the Brits moved them to Australia...

poofter movements, indeed

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess that is all proof that the Aussies have no ability to self determine the behavior of their Citizens. All they do is 'follow the leader', no matter where that leads. laughing.

Sam......

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tomk
wait a minute...I thought in an effort to rid the Isles of poofters, the Brits moved them to Australia...

Yeah...gives us the shits too.

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

every damn time you pack of dills come up with some new inanity the halfwits here just have to emulate it.

I assure you if you guys come up with some quality inanity, our half wits will emulate it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
after 8 years of thing heading down from rationality...we is due for a change

Defend the Constitution
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
after 8 years of thing heading down from rationality...we is due for a change

I pray to God you are right as I can see the bottom of the bucket here in my country, and if you lot take a hard right conservative turn the dills here are likely to follow from sheer habit.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

HERE

Australian sports stars are being urged not to stand for the national anthem during this weekend's major rugby league and Aussie Rules finals, as a protest against racism.

The campaign was started by pop culture website Junkee, which called it a show of support for Indigenous Australians.

The player has been refusing to stand for the US anthem before games as a protest against racial inequality.

Paul Gorrie, an Indigenous Australian activist involved in the Junkee campaign, said Kaepernick's protest made him think "why shouldn't we do that here?"

He said the Australian anthem, Advance Australia Fair, "was written in 1878 when land was still being stolen and black people were still being massacred".

It and the recent deaths of Indigenous Australians in police custody were "the impacts of our colonial history and the racism that continues to this day", he said.

"This is a call to action for ALL players to show solidarity by not singing and taking a kneel during the national anthem this weekend at the NRL and AFL grand finals."

"All players Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal should boycott the anthem and start changing Australia's ignorant mentality," he wrote.

Australian sport, in particular Aussie Rules football, has been marred by racism against indigenous players.

Adam Goodes, an Indigenous Australian who played for the Swans and has since retired, was repeatedly booed on the field and last year a rival fan was removed for allegedly telling him to "get back to the zoo".

Australia has also seen heated discussion on whether it should recognise indigenous people in its constitution, repeal clauses that prevent people of a certain race from voting and allow laws to be made based on race.

'Pretty stupid really'

Lance "Buddy" Franklin, one of the AFL's most high profile Aboriginal players, said there was "no chance" he would join an anthem boycott.

"First I've heard of it," Franklin said at the AFL grand final parade in Melbourne on Friday.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid really. It's the Australian national anthem, it's a part of our sport, our history."

"The two big codes, the NRL and AFL, work hard to be inclusive and embrace modern Australia and all of its diversity.

"Sport is a really wonderful inclusive institution in Australia. It divides us in the sense that we support different teams, but only in a pretty good-natured way, but above all it pulls us together. That's why we should all sing."

Staying seated

Former rugby league player Joe Williams has been one of the loudest voices backing the campaign.

Williams, who is Aboriginal, has attracted controversy before for remaining seated during the anthem, during an Australia Day ceremony recognising his community work.

"Would Malcolm Turnbull feel comfortable if he was made to sing God Save the Queen?"

He dismissed suggestions that the country's biggest sporting events were inappropriate venues to make a political statement.

First the poofter movement now this...every damn time you pack of dills come up with some new inanity the halfwits here just have to emulate it.

Dang that Hillary [bleep] wants to emulate Aussie gun laws grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GFY... go throw another penis on the barbie.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't Australians can't come up with an original thought?

Like no Didgeridoo playing or boycott Boomerangs, why copy Kaepernick and our flag.?

Wankers...

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

HERE

'Pretty stupid really'

Staying seated

Dang that Hillary [bleep] wants to emulate Aussie gun laws grin

Used Guns

I wandered down to Victoria a couple of days ago and apart from thinking some really nasty thoughts at one idiot driver that didn't give way I cannot remember unduly thinking of personal safety...apart from the couple of coppers doing a speed check in Ararat and a sedan that had been rear-ended by a 4x4 in Bendigo I didn't see much of anything apart from rain and green countryside.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You goofy bastards are always trying to copy us. It's easy to understand why you want to be like the big boy but funny watching you try.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
You goofy bastards are always trying to copy us. It's easy to understand why you want to be like the big boy but funny watching you try.

You are correct, next we are going to elect a gender/race confused communist so that we can import a heap of radical muslims to fundamentally change the base Australian identity.

That should top off our gay marriage and pretend blm crowd hits.

Thanks for that.

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Then we can troll our worst mental institutions and find a miserable thieving lying sociopath, and give her the reins of the country after the confused one is finished scrapping everything of worth.

Thanks for that too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

At least in Mad Max the poofters were the villains. Over here they are portrayed as homo superior.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

At least in Mad Max the poofters were the villains. Over here they are portrayed as homo superior.

That portrayal is the problem, it is public and in your face instead of in the home behind closed doors.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

You are correct, next we are going to elect a gender/race confused communist so that we can import a heap of radical muslims to fundamentally change the base Australian identity.

That should top off our gay marriage and pretend blm crowd hits.

Thanks for that.

Seems I read somewhere that your country is doing that as well.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34171024
Seems that stupidity runs rampant in Aussie land too.

Swifty
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Absolutely... and one guess where it all originates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Absolutely... and one guess where it all originates.

LMAO, Europe and Britain. OOOPPPs forgot that Aussies are actually British. My Bad.

Swifty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 21 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.