Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I can't figure out how the minimalist shoe types deal with loaded packs on steep boulders and talus, where pinning your foot between two shifted large-ish rocks isn't just expected, it happens over and over again.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
There's a lot of disagreement about "ankle support." Many believe not allowing the ankles free range of motion ultimately makes it more prone to injury by not allowing movement (and thereby strengthening). I also think "stiffness" belongs in the same discussion, as overly stiff boots also limit the ankles free or natural range of motion.

I'm 55.......

Like someone else said, everyone has different needs. I'm 59 and my ankles have always been weak. One has some pretty severe arthritis from injuries dating back to HS and college. So I do a number of ankle-strengthening exercises in the gym. That's where I build/maintain strength, along with regular walks off-trail. And then when I'm in the mountains, I use a relatively stiff boot. I'm not looking to build strength then.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Boots have to be purchased according to what each individuals needs are. My Alaskan sheep/goat hunts taught me a lesson for stiff supportive boots and at least one collapsible hiking stick. As the days wear on, supportive boots can greatly assist in side hilling and negotiating scree - both up and down. Some even go to plastic boots for their support.
Also a 10" boot gives you a little better margin for creek crossings.
Don't let someone else sell you a brand, you must decide on your own.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
To each his own. I like a toe rand in Talus. I do wear boots on occasion, however, I'm fine on the steeps without a boot. I've hauled out two bone in elk quarters down a steep slope, with rock changing to timber at 1 am with minimalist Inov8 shoes. I use more smear techniques often for grip , and prefer lower profile , more flexible footwear that offers protection from rocks / cactus whatever the hazards. I prefer contact vs force for grip / stability on steep stuff, not a lot different than how a lot of grippy mountain bike tires work.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Two thoughts:

1. Have you tried covering the callous/hot spot with duct tape? It offers the skin protection and a bit of glide for the boot.

2. With the lack of elevation in your AO, I'd be looking for stadium steps as part of the training.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Two thoughts:

1. Have you tried covering the callous/hot spot with duct tape? It offers the skin protection and a bit of glide for the boot.

2. With the lack of elevation in your AO, I'd be looking for stadium steps as part of the training.

1. Used duct tape, didn't like it. Leukatape worked so much better, and actually prevents hot spots during training. I just don't trust it to hold up over multiple days. Maybe it will, but don't want to risk it.

2. There is 120' gain over 275 yards on my property. It works pretty good, trails zigzag up and down.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've about 6 miles with 55 lb pack and 1500' gain on the Nevada's with medium cushion Smartwool sock and liner. They feel much more plush on the foot than the Hardscrable; I've very little concern of blisters. Very supportive of the ankles. Liking the less stiff midsole. Slightly warmer than the Hardscrable but not much. This morning I put three miles on them in 72 degree temps. They were warm but not bad. Wouldn't be my first choice in 80+ thats for sure, but will work fine from 75 down.

There is one caveat. Currently on the right foot only, the peroneal tendon (outside of foot, opposite of arch) is aching/cramping. This morning it started right away then eased off about half way into the hike. Now, several hours later, there is a dull ache and tingling. Any theories? Apparently the less stiff sole is putting more pressure on this tendon, maybe from tight calves?

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

I would love to try the Salomon Quest 4D but unfortunately they don't offer wide boots.

I’d give them a try anyway if you can go to an REI ect and try a pair on. I have wide feet, narrow heal and am incredibly blister prone. The 4D fit me great with NO heal slippage. I have had a pair for a week and have been wearing them around to break them in. The only complaint I have is that one of the eyelets irritate my inside ankle bone if tied too tight (there is ALWAYS something).

Two recent observations of my own.

1) Along the lines of Brad’s thought….I’m not convinced a high top is needed or even adds considerable insurance against ankle rolling. It seems to me that ankle stability is much influenced by how stable a base the bottom of the boot/shoe provides. Hard to describe, but in a good ‘solid’ pair of boots my ankle/foot feels supported even when not laced up.

2) I have come to appreciate some ‘cushion’ in the toe area. The outside of my big toe gets very sore when the food bed doesn’t have a little give to it. I think I am done with the Superfeet footbeds for that reason, and I have come to prefer to use the spongy cheap footbeds and then use the Dr. Sholls supports for extra arch/heal support. Yes the $40 supports that you get in the pharmacy after stepping on the machine to measure your feet. I started using them a few years in all my daily shoes to help with falling arches. They really help me.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
just returned from a week in Wyoming backpacking the high country...... Steep, and also a lot of side hill/steep... Have had my Kennetreks for about 7 or 8 years... with green super feet insoles.

This year is the most heel trouble I've had... possibly due to my gain of about 15-20 lbs in weight....

Mole skin on the heel works, but I had to secure it with athletic tape to keep it from sliding up and down off my heel. I always wear liners. Feet held up pretty good when taped up.

Also, I would tie my boots up multiple times a day (pitb) making sure to get the center section tight so my heel stayed down... tight to the point where it was a little uncomfortable when I first tied them, but they loosen up after a short bit.

Doing this, I lasted a solid 10 days or so hiking some steep terrain... maybe 5-6 mile hunts per day.

Have loved my kennetreks, but this year will spark me to at least take a look at other boots.

I have an almost new pair of Hanwag Alaska gtx's.... but I ordered them slightly too big and that has always got in my head.... Only wore them on two hikes. if anyone is interested - a size 12 would probably be a perfect fit. I can double check size... I'm 11.5 (us).

Not quite giving up on my kennetreks, they've been awesome for the most part, but time to also see what else is out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You don't need heavy, stiff boots to backpack... in fact, you're diminishing your enjoyment. At the very least, look at a pair of Salomon 4D's. If you can open your mind further, look at shoes.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wouldn't wear boots to run a marathon, or to do trail runs, and the only two reasons I wear them hiking now is to keep my feet dry and to gain some ankle support. I don't want it so stiff it transfers any twisting to my knees, but just additional support. These really stiff and heavy boots make no sense to me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
R 30's
Originally Posted by prm
These really stiff and heavy boots make no sense to me.

I suppose we should define "stiff and heavy boots." I've heard Hanwags referred to that way but my Mountain Lights are some of the most comfortable boots I've owned, right out of the box and they're not heavy. They also provided enough support for a walk-in Alaskan sheep hunt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Two more hikes on the Nevadas and all the anxiety of 6 days on the mountain with blisters is behind me. Loving these boot. The peroneal tendon aching/cramping issue seems to be gone.

Now to see how they hold up to the abuse of the southwest nasty stuff.

Another item of note - DARN TOUGH socks rock. After all the recommendations I tried a pair. WOW! I'm the kind that can't sleep if there is differnt socks in my drawer. The Smartwools are out. LOL The DT's are the 1403 Hike-Trek with cushion bottom and non cushion top.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
R 30's
Originally Posted by prm
These really stiff and heavy boots make no sense to me.

I suppose we should define "stiff and heavy boots." I've heard Hanwags referred to that way but my Mountain Lights are some of the most comfortable boots I've owned, right out of the box and they're not heavy. They also provided enough support for a walk-in Alaskan sheep hunt.

Agreed... the Asolos I mention in my earlier post are their Sasslong model, and while they have a stiff sole/footbed, they are pretty light at about 3.3 pounds for the pair.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pretty light at about 3.3 pounds for the pair.

That's fairly heavy, given 1lb on your feet equals 5lbs on you back.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's light compared to the tall Redwings I wore for years... I guess everything is relative.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad could you do me a favor and weigh your Salomon 4ds? I was checking them out online for purchase and am seeing substantially different weights listed. Backcountry shows them at 1 pound 7 oz each for an 8.5 while Cabelas shows a lighter weight, but no size listed.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Solomons are shown. These are 8.5s, have super feet insoles and different laces

[Linked Image]

Another pair (the newer version) with original insoles and laces.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 09/30/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Danner Mountain Light II's? I've always been satisfied with them in rough country

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have hanwags. Well made and comfortable. The only problem is the sole is very hard.So hard that they are slick on hard frozen ground. A little softer sole would grip frozen ground better.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.