Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Greetings, I don't recall if I've ever posted in this area before. If not, hello for the first time. smile

I am considering a new over under and would like to hear from those who have used one or more of the three I am considering. Ruger Red Lable, Browning Cynergy and Winchester 101 Field (the FN built 101).

I have handled all three (the Ruger was the old style). Its primary use will be as a field gun - carried in the uplands. I will also shoot some trap / clays with it, but it will be used for hunting for the most part.

The three of them appear very close in weight and balance with a 28 inch barrel (12 gauge).

So, which would you pick and why?

Thanks.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My vote goes for the 101

Red labels are basted to get repaired if they take a shcidt.

The new 101s are very solid guns and IMO very attractive.

I don't care for the cyber. But I do like the citori lightning

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
CDNN had some nice (fancy wood, engraved...) 101's on sale for $1300 last week.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Of those..the Cynergy is the only one I would even glance twice at. I had one, it was a fantastic shotgun. It didnt feel or shoot like an over under, which was the best thing about it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have all 3, if you are talking about a new 101 as oppose to the older 101's, Cynergy gets my vote.
If your talking about the older 101's, Cynergy still gets my vote but the gap closes.
I will never sell my Red Label as my wife gave it to me but I sold the other one I had (that I bought myself) and don't ever see my buying another one.

I have a older 101, and bought a new one. I sold the new one as it was no where near the gun that the older one is.
Fit and finish was not as nice, very gritty trigger, hinge etc.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the feed back so far.

Not sure it matters, but I shoot lefty and a very neutral cast fits me best - hence my three choices listed above all have a neutral cast. I would really like to include the Berreta 686, however I haven't found one where my left eye lines up right, so it hasn't made the cut. Unless they've made some with a bit of left hand cast, then that would be something to consider.

The new Red Lable is nice, and I think they've added a little length to the stock as the new ones are just a bit longer than the older version - at least in my mind. So trimming a little off may have to be done. When hunting late season birds, I'm wearing a coat & vest, and a long length of pull makes it too long. The Cynergy is very comfortable as is and the 101 is too.

Any opinions on reliability, or longevity where these three are concerned?

Thanks again.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The proper choice in shotguns is ways about fit. Buy the one that fits you the best. If they all fit the same (doubtful) the Ruger would be my last choice. The factory supposedly no longer supports them so if it breaks you are at the mercy of the other parts suppliers.

gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
lilysdad,

You said the Cynergy was "a fantastic shotgun" - so why did you part with it? Did you have any issues with it, or with Browning's cust svc dept?

Mark

gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Kp321,

Are you referring to the older Red Lable's? Or is Ruger not supporting their new Red Lables?

Believe it or not, all three makes seem to fit me similarly. I am Mr. Average guy - as far as height and weight. However, because I am left eye dominant, I need a very neutral cast in order to shoot a shotgun well.

A couple of the 101's I've tried - the stocks were thicker than others, so didn't fit quite as good. The narrower the stock was, the more neutral the cast. The Cynergy, and both the newer and older Red Lable's stocks, fit me well. So, I thought I would solicit the opinions of those on this board, in hopes that I can get some opinions from those that have owned and shot them.

Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have owned all three and the Ruger would be my last choice. The Cynergy is nothing like my 101s. The style does not appeal to me and I shot it poorly. It is long gone without regret.

I still have a couple 101s and will keep and shoot them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gundog
lilysdad,

You said the Cynergy was "a fantastic shotgun" - so why did you part with it? Did you have any issues with it, or with Browning's cust svc dept?

Mark

Absolutely no issues whatsoever, and never had to deal with Browning. It went down the river only because I found that I prefer semis for hunting...which is actually what made me purchase the Cynergy to begin with. It felt the least like an OU of any that I shot.

gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Really appreciate it. This eve I handled a Bennelli O/U. It looked a bit funky, but the lower profile felt good. Any of you guys own / shoot the Bennelli O/U?

Thanks again.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Owned a Re Label, it was a non reliable heavy gun. Never again.

Have Brownings and they are good quality.

Not familiar with 101.

NRA Patron
gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I have ruled out the Red Label, and am leaning towards the Cynergy. However, if I come across the right fitting 101 at the right price I may just snatch it up.

Thanks again. I'll report back once I have the new O/U in hand.

gundog

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gundog
Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I have ruled out the Red Label, and am leaning towards the Cynergy. However, if I come across the right fitting 101 at the right price I may just snatch it up.

Thanks again. I'll report back once I have the new O/U in hand.

gundog

I have a 20 gauge 101 Olin-Kodensha that I bought 50 years ago. I still have the box and hang tags. It's an utterly reliable and wonderful shotgun. I also have a 12 gauge Red Label that has been fired thousands of times without a hiccup.

The Cynergy is butt ugly. The Berettas require a weight lifter to break them down.

This is just my opinion but I think Red Labels get a bad rap on the Campfire.

gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
model70man,

I agree the Cynergy's profile is not conventional, but that is partly what drew me to it. I like its looks and it fits me well. Yes the Beretta is tough to break open, especially so when new. They loosen up with use but wow, are they stiff to start with.

I've ruled out the Red label mainly because I can't seem to find one locally that truly fits. My late uncle owned one and I shot it and hunted with it when I was younger. I really liked it and it fit me really well. I have purchased guns online in the past, but for this next shotgun I want to put my hands on it and make sure it fits me before I buy it.

The 101 is, and has been, on my list for a while now. I just plain like them.

Thanks.

gundog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had a number of Berreta O/Us...

They would be one of my first choices. They fit me well.

BL3 20ga I should never have traded away... I thought ejectors were really cool...

S56E 12 that never felt right... funky center hinge thing... gone without regret

Silver Snipe 12... what was I thinking?

BL4 12 is still around after 35 years. Had choke tubes installed about 15 years ago. I use it more that way.

Black Onyx 12 is still here and a favorite.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
gundog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sitka,
I really like the look and feel of the Beretta 686 Onyx, but most have a bit of a right hand cast and that doesn't work for my dominant left eye. If I happen to find one that fits my left handed shooting I would be done shopping. smile

gundog

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Have you looked at the Browning 725?

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
If you are happy with the Beretta 686 except for the RH stock have you considered getting the stock bent for cast on? It usually is done fairly inexpensively and fairly quickly. British Sporting Arms (845-677-8303) used to bend stocks and is worth a call. Also, places such as Cole Gunsmiths (207-833-5027 or 239-352-0345) sometimes have Left Handed stocks available. I have a 686 from them and am very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

81 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.