Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is this murder? Watch whole vid. Shooting/murder? is at 4:40. Was the victim a real threat to cops? Cops claim man had knife. But man threw threw knife at cop car at 3:16 of the video. Dash cam vid shows folding knife bounce off hood. Just seems maybe a taser would have served better here.

Published on Sep 21, 2016

Dashcam shows mentally-ill man shot 14 times as he flees Sacramento police

Sacramento police have released three dashcam videos and one surveillance video which show the pursuit and killing of 50-year-old Joseph Mann, who was shot 14 times by police.

Video and audio recordings were released by Sacramento Police Chief Sam Somers on Tuesday after mounting pressure from the mayor, members of the city council and Mann’s family, who called for more information surrounding the July 11 shooting.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

A positive attitude will not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it a worthwhile effort.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Was here a second knife? It did not look like this guy was violent enough to be killed. Much we don't don't know, but this looks bad for the police.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i can see 8-10 shots, 12 tops but 14 is pushing it. sounds like they need some gun control.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this looks bad for the police.

Nothing they can't handle. Don't believe your lyin' eyes.... wait on the "investigation" to tell you what you saw.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am so tired of this chit that I won't even open it... I am looking for my next 40 to be happy years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Murder??? NO.

Wrongful death of some sort? Maybe.

Deadly force is authorized by LEO if they reasonably believe the subject poses a significant threat of bodily injury or death to themselves or others.

A significant threat is not unreasonble.

COULD they have used less force? Probably.

Did they know he was nuts????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Suicide by cop

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They put them selves in harms way, this chitt has got to stop, its just crazy 12 shots really, a simple double tap wouldn't do? WTF!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
All those police and no one had any l-t-l?

In this day of camera's police agencies really need to up their l-t-l game or they will all be broke.

I can see police rules of engagement being changes to require the positive identification of a firearm etc. not just a "shooting stance" before lethal force is permitted. If departments don't start using their head a bit more things will get a lot worse for cops before they get any better.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimy
They put them selves in harms way, this chitt has got to stop, its just crazy 12 shots really, a simple double tap wouldn't do? WTF!

You shoot until the threat stops. 1 shot or 100.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
All those police and no one had any l-t-l?

In this day of camera's police agencies really need to up their l-t-l game or they will all be broke.

I can see police rules of engagement being changes to require the positive identification of a firearm etc. not just a "shooting stance" before lethal force is permitted. If departments don't start using their head a bit more things will get a lot worse for cops before they get any better.

A "shooting stance", with anything in the suspect's hands, is a perceived threat - and the cops don't exactly have the time to ask the suspect if that is a "real gun".

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They ran at him, to shoot him, the idiot that shot him jumped out of the car and ran over to shoot the man, time was not of the essences, no one was in danger until they he placed him self there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
AND, for the record, I DO believe there are some "bad shoots"
Hope I'm NEVER involved in a shoot - much less a bad one!
These decisions than are made in less than a second, maybe in milli-seconds.

Second guessing WILL go on forever!

Last edited by mark shubert; 09/30/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This does not look good by any means.

12 shots in 3 seconds leaves little time for effect to occur.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Police in the USA make about 1500 arrests every day for violent crimes plus probably 25,000-30,000 more arrests every day for just regular crimes.

It shows a lot of restraint & professionalism on the part of the Police that they only shoot & kill about 1.2 people a day on average when they are dealing with that many miscreants.

It seems to be trendy for the news & social media to go after the cops every time they cap some miscreants ass.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounded like 12 shots to me, unless a couple were fired at the same time.

The guy appeared to me to be seriously crack or meth delusional. Totally fried. Seen enough crispy critter crackheads to fill a stadium. Meth isn't really the drug of choice here. So have no idea of what that looks like.

Long story short, if a cop says put down the knife, put down the knife.. unless you're planning on taking 6 or 7 of them on with said knife and they're all holding Glock 23's... which could indeed be called suicide by cop.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a cop has a gun and you have a gun, either shoot the cop or drop your gun.

Even if you drop it there's a chance he'll shoot you anyway, but if you just stand there with it, it's for damn sure he will shoot. He might not hit you, but he will shoot.

If a cop has a gun and you don't........ why don't you?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimy
They ran at him, to shoot him, the idiot that shot him jumped out of the car and ran over to shoot the man, time was not of the essences, no one was in danger until they he placed him self there.

How would you detain someone having a "mental episode" without "placing yourself there"?

They can't sit around and watch the guy until he falls asleep.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a cop, and therefore not knowledgeable on police policies and doctrines. Ask me how to fix a pair of eyeglasses, and I'm your man. That being said, I'd ask our LEO's what the actual policy is for shoot/don't shoot.

The man consistently disobeyed officer's orders. Yes, he threw somethig at the cruiser. I couldn't tell if it was a knife, or what it was. By refusing to do as instructed, HE escalated the situation to the point where the foot pursuit ensued. Did he have a second weapon in hand? I sure couldn't tell from the video.

What sucks is he had any number of chances to comply with the officer's orders, and he chose not to. 'Seems like simple compliance would have prevented all this.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
two solutions for all these cop shootings. One would be to just disarm cops, and give them soft rubber truncheons. The other would be for folks to stop doing stupid things in front of cops.

Sam......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.