-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If this does not free float my Carbine Length barrel, what do you suggest is the best bang for the buck?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It does not appear to be a free float rail.

Daniel Defense Omega rail for a drop in free float or go LaRue, DD, MI if you can remove the FSB for install.
But there are so many better options out there than a short quad rail.

May I ask what you need a quad rail for and why is free floating important to you..ie match grade barrel or is it chrome lined?

Last edited by TWR; 09/27/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think it's a free floater. Not being a 2 piece.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
It does not appear to be a free float rail.

Daniel Defense Omega rail for a drop in free float or go LaRue, DD, MI if you can remove the FSB for install.
But there are so many better options out there than a short quad rail.

May I ask what you need a quad rail for and why is free floating important to you..ie match grade barrel or is it chrome lined?

Actually I would be fine with a free float tube. it does not have to be a quad rail but that is all that I can find on line. I have a 16" A2 stainless barrel from PSA and I want a free floated barrel for accuracy. I am a hand loader and I have some accurate bolt rifles and would like to get some good groups out of my first AR.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
I don't think it's a free floater. Not being a 2 piece.

kwg

I did see some 2 piece that were free floated, is it best to have a one pice if your going to free float your barrel?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Then pick any 7" tube you like if you can remove the FSB for install. If not, then use a 2 piece of some kind.

It's just hard to recommend cheap parts like the one you linked to. While you don't have to spend a fortune, you will need to choose wisely.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Then pick any 7" tube you like if you can remove the FSB for install. If not, then use a 2 piece of some kind.

It's just hard to recommend cheap parts like the one you linked to. While you don't have to spend a fortune, you will need to choose wisely.

Choosing wisely is the point without breaking the bank, like most I have always wanted the best bang for the buck.

But not all 7" tubes free float as I understand?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well the upper you linked to has mid length gas so you need a 9" rail, I should have looked at that too.

I'd look at a Houge tube or one along those lines. Just be sure it says free float for mid length gas and learn how to remove the FSB. 2 piece free float rails that will work are not cheap.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't see how it wouldn't be a free float with nothing clamping to the barrel at the end opposite the receiver. I think the two pieces are likely screwed together, which would concern me. Too much to worry about shaking loose.
I'd get most any 9" tube you like the look of that says it's free float and can afford. I have one of their 9" carbon fiber tubes on one of my AR's which replaced the assembly like on your PSA and I like it very much. Its' very light and strong.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
This is where I'd start looking. I prefer the Gen3 stuff, but Gen2 should work fine. You get what you pay for in these rails, on anything under $200, in my experience, which is somewhat limited.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=149

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The metal cap thing that captures the muzzle end of that rail is attached to the front sight and barrel. That's what un-floats it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I didn't see one in the picture or description. Still don't. If there is a metal cap on the muzzle end that attached to the barrel or something attached to it, then, yeah, it would not be floated.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's on the upper, not the rail.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you buy a low profile gas block from about 5000 differnt places for $20-40, I have a 12" Yankee Hill lighrweight free float quad rail that I will make you a hell of a deal on.

They ran about $125 when I bought it, Make me what you consider a fair offer to you and it will likely be yours.

It probably has a little wear but I can't say I recall any. Includes barrel nut, jam nut and everything needed to install it except a low profile gas block and a flip up front sight if you intend to mount irons.

Here is what they look like, can dig it out for actual pictures if your interested.
http://vtsupply.com/yankee-hill-free-float-quad-rail-forearms-yhm-9631-or-yhm-9638.html

Last edited by MallardAddict; 09/30/16.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
If you buy a low profile gas block from about 5000 differnt places for $20-40, I have a 12" Yankee Hill lighrweight free float quad rail that I will make you a hell of a deal on.

They ran about $125 when I bought it, Make me what you consider a fair offer to you and it will likely be yours.

It probably has a little wear but I can't say I recall any. Includes barrel nut, jam nut and everything needed to install it except a low profile gas block and a flip up front sight if you intend to mount irons.

Here is what they look like, can dig it out for actual pictures if your interested.
http://vtsupply.com/yankee-hill-free-float-quad-rail-forearms-yhm-9631-or-yhm-9638.html

Was wanting a free float tube that I can use my front sights, will this work or do I need the carbine length?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Your upper has a mid-length gas system. You will want a mid-length float tube.

Also, the handguards you reference are carbine length, and not specified as a float tube, they look like drop-in handguards, and do not float the barrel.

Make sure you are getting a 'mid-length float tube'.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What about the 7.25" K-series Keymod free float? Free floated and i believe you can retain your front sight.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2470

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's a mid length, gonna need to be 9"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. Missed that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.