Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I head to my local gunshop this morning and what were they unloading from the big brown truck but a supply of Ruger MK-IV pistols in two models.
I opted to unpack the Ruger MK-IV Hunter Model from its box and looked it over and then dis-assembled and re-assembled it.
My first impression of the Ruger MK-IV was even more positive than expected.
I mean the machining, fit and finish on this pistol was not just great - it was PERFECT!
The fiber optic front sight was VERY visible and easily defined to my 69 year old eyes.
I only tried the trigger once there at the shop because I did not have my 22 LR snap cap along with me.
The trigger was at least good in my opinion.
The barrel and receiver do not pivot on a "through pin" like I thought from the pictures and videos I have seen this past week - it is fitted in a (again perfectly machined!) "latch" type fitting between the barrel/receiver and the frame.
I bought it on the spot.
Now to decide if and which red dot sight to get for it.
More, once I get it set-up and range tested.
If I were you (and I realize I am not!) I would make an effort to see one of these pistols in person.
I had planned on travelling all around Montana this weekend (Great Falls, Butte, Bozeman, Ennis and Missoula) in hopes of finding one of these pistols in the flesh - must have been my lucky day today finding one right here in my tiny town.
GREAT job Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
great to hear VarmintGuy and congrats on the score. in the past Ruger has always stated that all of their firearms, both centerfire and rimfire were safe to dry fire. i wonder if that holds true for this newest one.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JimHnSTL: I am just operating under "old" rumors/notions/contentions that harm may come to rimfire guns if they are dry fired - something about harming the chamber.
I don't know?
I will say this I have one Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Rifle that I have fired at least 100,000 times in the last 25+ years!
Every tenth time I pulled the trigger I discovered that the Ruger rotary magazine was empty and I had "dropped the hammer" on an empty rimfire chamber.
So at least 10,000 times I have "fired" (pulled the trigger) on that 22 L.R. with an empty chamber.
To date I have had no noticeable troubles by doing so - so your contention can be proven by me.
I have no other brand rimfire gun that has had this history so my knowledge of other brands is about nil.
Thanks for the info from and about the Rugers (of which I was not aware) and I am anxious to shoot my new pistola.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yes, gun in hand, I had the same reaction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JimHnSTL: I am just operating under "old" rumors/notions/contentions that harm may come to rimfire guns if they are dry fired - something about harming the chamber.
I don't know?
I will say this I have one Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Rifle that I have fired at least 100,000 times in the last 25+ years!
Every tenth time I pulled the trigger I discovered that the Ruger rotary magazine was empty and I had "dropped the hammer" on an empty rimfire chamber.
So at least 10,000 times I have "fired" (pulled the trigger) on that 22 L.R. with an empty chamber.
To date I have had no noticeable troubles by doing so - so your contention can be proven by me.
I have no other brand rimfire gun that has had this history so my knowledge of other brands is about nil.
Thanks for the info from and about the Rugers (of which I was not aware) and I am anxious to shoot my new pistola.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Always better to be safe than sorry. Most rimfires will damage if dry fired, especially older models. On any new model though I always read the manual before trying myself. Ruger though does state it being safe in the owners manual and on the web site in their frequently asked questions.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You'd think after 10,000 times, you would learn to count to 10.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's another small ding against the Victory. I keep a snap cap or screw anchor in mine to prevent whoopsies. The plastic snap caps usually feed okay from the magazine.

VarmintGuy, I'd suggest a red dot with manual brightness control, at least as an option. My old auto-bright Fastfire gets too bright a lot when used outdoors. Indoors, it's perfect. Gonna replace it eventually. The fiber-optic front sights on both my new Smith .22s are also perfect; plenty bright, but with a clear square black top edge for bullseyes. Congrats on the snag.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/28/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pappy348: I have all manner of older and newer 22 L.R. semi-automatic pistols - including Colt Woodsmans, Huntsmans, a Colt "22", numerous Ruger MK-I's, MK-II's and MK-III's, several Browning Buckmarks and a Browning Nomad and all kinds of High Standards but I have as yet to buy/try a Smith & Wesson "Victory"!
Let me know how you like it.
I plan on giving my children and grandchildren each a 22 semi-auto when the time comes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only put a couple hundred through my so far, but it works like a champ. I already like it better than the MkIII .22/45 I had. For $350, it's hard to beat. I have a good selection of ammo to test in it when I get done messing with this year's deer rifle lineup.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pappy348: Thanks for the heads up review on the Victory I will keep my eye out for one - I like the looks of them.
I am thinking of selling two of my Ruger 22/45's to help defray costs of the MK-IV's.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New take down feature sure looks nice and handy.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
TandemKross will probably have new aftermarket parts and accessories available inside of a month.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What was the street price and model Varmitguy, if you don't mind sharing it with me? Cabela's says a couple months before they have them. They need to deplete inventory of MKiii first he says.

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Net shows em just under $500 delivered.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ring3: I paid $575.00 (no sales tax) for the stainless steel 6.88" barreled "Hunters" model.
The other model my shop got in was the shorter barreled stainless non-fiber optic sight model ("Target" 5" barrel) and it was priced at $512.00 and I believe it got put on layaway today.
I was off to Bozeman and Ennis today and the shops I stopped at there and enroute had NO Ruger MK-IV's.
One of my friends went down today and asked to have another of the "Hunter" models like mine ordered for himself.
I did not get by a Cabellas today but again no other shops I spoke with have seen them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
700LH: I have a couple more friends looking for the stainless fancy sight 6.88" fluted barrel "Hunter" models - could you direct me/us to the "net" where you saw that price.
Only place I have seen them offered for sale this week was on the Gunbroker site and they were $599.00 not counting the F.F.L. transfer fees, the shipping or the insurance?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Pardon my slow reply as I was travelling and gunshopping/pawnshopping today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VG, all I can find now is the Target MK-IV at $509, shipped.

When I try to find my earlier search, all I get is "sold out", and can't open the page.

You do have my apologies, I should have linked it earlier.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You'd think after 10,000 times, you would learn to count to 10.......

A well designed auto loading firearm will stay open after the last shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fourbore
A well designed auto loading firearm will stay open after the last shot.

The 10/22 is a well designed auto but that is one feature it is missing. I don't see me stop shooting mine anytime soon even with that flaw. :-)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do you think the new Mk. 4 will affect the value of the older Mk. 3s? I have a Mk. 3, plan to keep it, but would be nice to be able to take it apart easier like the Mk. 4.

I had a Mk. 2 that I regret selling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.