Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I'm planning to have the standard duplex changed on my 2.5-8 VX3. I am sure this has been discussed but can't find it. Any preference between the Wide-Plex and German 4? Why or why not?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I do not care for the wide duplex. The thick part of the reticle doesn't come in close enough to the center to be useful. I don't have a Leupold #4 in hand, but I have the same gripe with a lot of #4 reticles I've seen. The heavy bars stop too far out.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, mathman. Oddly enough, I don't mind the distance as long as the posts are heavy against thick brush. Farther out would be a different story.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Look at the Leupold Post and Duplex reticle.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Look at the Leupold Post and Duplex reticle.

I know it's similar to the German 4, but I don't know the horizontal distance across the duplex opening. Shorter or longer than German 4?

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Completely different animals. Even the German Nos. 4's can vary alot.
I have no love for the wide duplex at all. I'd rather have a fine duplex, rather than the wide duplex.....
The German 4 I used for a number of years was the Premier Reticles version. Worked well. Fast, easy to use in poor light, even at night sometimes, with my 6X42 Leupold. What it didn't have was any ability to range with it. So, eventually, I went to the Heavy Duplex. That I still use and has worked very well for me.
Be warned that it also is a different animal in the 6X42 vs. the 4X, FX2. Different thicknesses of the thick and thin sections and of the thin opening.
The Post & Duplex is a good one. I have one in my old M8, 4X. Easier to pick up and works better in bad light, etc. than did the medium duplex the scope came with. E

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
These are some pics I posted in the past. The distance to the truck is closer to 140 yards.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6111549/Re_reticle_pics

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting! Thank you!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a 2.5-8X I would prefer the duplex over the wide.

Leupold has changed their German #4. I really like it now, wheras I used
to hate it. It is much more like the Premier #4 now, which I also use. The thick part is closer to center now, still plenty thick, but not as ridiculously thick as it used to be. It was a much needed, and very welcomed change.

For hunting, I use duplexes, heavy duplexes, and #4s.

The wide duplex does have one very good use, but it isn't that which they designed it for, and it isn't hunting......

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Leupold has changed their German #4. I really like it now, wheras I used to hate it. It is much more like the Premier #4 now, which I also use. The thick part is closer to center now, still plenty thick, but not as ridiculously thick as it used to be. It was a much needed, and very welcomed change.

My plan is to move the 2.5-8 to a MRC ASR, then put a new VX3i 1.75-6 on my M70 FWT. I use the FWT more than the ASR as it's lighter and shorter than the ASR, making it handier in dense brush. I expect the 1.75-6 will ultimately be the one with the German #4. As for the 2.5-8, it sounds like I might as well leave it alone.

I appreciate all the responses.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Leupold has changed their German #4. I really like it now, wheras I used to hate it. It is much more like the Premier #4 now, which I also use. The thick part is closer to center now, still plenty thick, but not as ridiculously thick as it used to be. It was a much needed, and very welcomed change.

My plan is to move the 2.5-8 to a MRC ASR, then put a new VX3i 1.75-6 on my M70 FWT. I use the FWT more than the ASR as it's lighter and shorter than the ASR, making it handier in dense brush. I expect the 1.75-6 will ultimately be the one with the German #4. As for the 2.5-8, it sounds like I might as well leave it alone.

I appreciate all the responses.

Yup,sound advice there.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's what I'm thinking as well.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am assuming the M70 is a short action?

Even then I can't like the 1.75-6X . It is one of my least favorite Leupold models. I would rather run a VX2 2-7x33....

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
No,it's a long action chambered for the 7x57.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The VX2 is a better scope and costs less to boot....

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Have a old fixed 4x Weaver on my 7x57 FWT.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I know the 1.75-6 isn't a campfire favorite. I was thinking about putting a 2-7 on my CZ452, but it's really too close to the 2.5-8 to put on the M70. I think the longest shot I've taken with that rifle is about 120 yards, but I've taken a bunch at 15-20 feet. That's why I was trying to decide between the Wide Duplex and the German #4. If Trijicon made an Accupoint in 1-6 with both a 33mm objective and 1 inch tube I'd be all over it. Just like I'd be all over an MRC Featherweight if they'd get off the "long barrel, braked muzzle" kick they seem to be on. But that's a different thread.

RM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
German #4 hands down!

"Not a Gun Free Zone"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.