Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Looking for a Xmas gift for the (soon to be) wife. I know this gun might be hard to find, so I am starting my search now.

Looking for an unadulterated Remington 700 Mountain LSS in .260 Rem. Not interested in custom guns. She loves the look of laminated stocks so I want it to have the factory stock and barrel.

Willing to consider guns both with or without optics.

Thanks for your help guys!

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Someone here had a CDL-SF for sale awhile back. Find a short action LSS stock and swapping would make a nice look.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought that exact gun for my son last year when he was born. It was like finding a needle in a hay stack. Good luck with your search. There great rifles.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is Rem 700 LSS in .260 for sale on "Trapshooters.com". Boomer is the seller and I have bought from him in the past....straight up guy.

Doc

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
There is Rem 700 LSS in .260 for sale on "Trapshooters.com". Boomer is the seller and I have bought from him in the past....straight up guy.

Doc

I was too slow. Awesome looking gun.

Still looking guys. I know they are rare but I promise it's going to a good home.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Alright, so here's the deal. A member of this forum approached me with the gun I am after for a very attractive price. The problem is, it has 2 chips in the clear coat of the stock. It appears that they go all the way to the wood. From my research, repairing said chips is pretty much impossible with the RKW finish that Big Green uses.

I am concerned about these chips and was leaning away from this member's offer. However, now I have cross-posted in other forums and I am getting a lot of people telling me that I am searching for an exceedingly rare rifle.

So now, I guess I am wondering if I should take the gun with the chips in it and switch over to searching for a new SA Laminate Mtn stock, or continue to hold out for a gun in better condition. What do you guys think???

NOTE: I am NOT in any way, shape, or form trashing on the member referenced. He was open and honest about the condition of the gun from the get go. He has been a pleasure to deal with and bent over backwards to take photos for me. I have nothing but good things to say about this member.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You are looking for a needle in a haystack, I would buy it if you are OK with the price and have the stock refinished by Remington or live with the dings! Good luck.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It Will Be Far Easier To Find A SA Laminate Mt,Rifle Stock Than The A New In The Box 260 LSS. I Can't Recall The Last Time I Seen One.The Used 7-08 LSS Or Bringing Over $1000 And They Where Far More Of These Made...They Are Very Hard To Come By..

Last edited by Mull; 10/03/16.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As others have stated, these are pretty hard to come by. I'd think if you want it by Christmas, you would be well served to buy this one. If you happen to find another between now and then in better shape, I would think you could sell this one on the 'fire pretty quickly.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by LipschitzWrath
Alright, so here's the deal. A member of this forum approached me with the gun I am after for a very attractive price. The problem is, it has 2 chips in the clear coat of the stock. It appears that they go all the way to the wood. From my research, repairing said chips is pretty much impossible with the RKW finish that Big Green uses.

I am concerned about these chips and was leaning away from this member's offer. However, now I have cross-posted in other forums and I am getting a lot of people telling me that I am searching for an exceedingly rare rifle.

So now, I guess I am wondering if I should take the gun with the chips in it and switch over to searching for a new SA Laminate Mtn stock, or continue to hold out for a gun in better condition. What do you guys think???

NOTE: I am NOT in any way, shape, or form trashing on the member referenced. He was open and honest about the condition of the gun from the get go. He has been a pleasure to deal with and bent over backwards to take photos for me. I have nothing but good things to say about this member.

Buy it!

If you decide you don't want it sell it to me grin

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you spend any time around here, you're going to be seduced by the dark side and feel an overwhelming need to replace the factory laminated stock with a McSwirly, so any chip in the finish won't bother you when the take-off stock is getting dusty on a shelf somewhere.

I have 260s in both the 700 LSS-MR and 700 CDL-SF. Both have been restocked with McMillans, the 700 LSS-MR with a MR style and the 700 CDL-SF with a McM Hunter style. At my age, vertical works better when moving downhill, so the slightly lighter MR doesn't provide any meaningful, measureable?, advantage for me. I really like the 700 CDL-SF barreled action bedded in the McM Hunter stock so much that I have they in 243, 257 Roberts, and 260.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you spend any time around here, you're going to be seduced by the dark side and feel an overwhelming need to replace the factory laminated stock with a McSwirly, so any chip in the finish won't bother you when the take-off stock is getting dusty on a shelf somewhere.

I have 260s in both the 700 LSS-MR and 700 CDL-SF. Both have been restocked with McMillans, the 700 LSS-MR with a MR style and the 700 CDL-SF with a McM Hunter style. At my age, vertical works better when moving downhill, so the slightly lighter MR doesn't provide any meaningful, measureable?, advantage for me. I really like the 700 CDL-SF barreled action bedded in the McM Hunter stock so much that I have they in 243, 257 Roberts, and 260.

So does this mean you have a mountain LSS stock you're willing to part with, lol???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

So does this mean you have a mountain LSS stock you're willing to part with, lol???

I don't have "one" of anything. I probably have a dozen short action 700 LSS-MR take-off stocks in the storage unit. I'm mostly a buyer, seldom a seller.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L

I don't have "one" of anything. I probably have a dozen short action 700 LSS-MR take-off stocks in the storage unit. I'm mostly a buyer, seldom a seller.

Okay fair enough. If you are willing to part ways with one, you have a buyer here. Thanks.

Last edited by LipschitzWrath; 10/03/16.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It's possible that I have one for sale. Check your pm.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I don't have "one" of anything.

that is some funny sh**.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Depending on the size of the chips, they can be repaired with super glue, and fixes are almost impossible to spot.

I'd snap it up regardless......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stadle01

Actually, I do have some "ones", one GOD and one Wife.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Stadle01

Actually, I do have some "ones", one GOD and one Wife.

Smart man - capitalized "Wife". Obviously has his priorities straight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.