S
Would be worse than owning a 270!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
BP-B6

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've owned several. They're good rifles. Not my favorites but a nice rifle that I can almost guarantee will shoot well.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"I've heard the trigger mechanism is overly complicated and some question its reliability? Also, heard others say the quality of the action/barrel is not as good as other rifles in a similar price bracket (Tikka T3"

The trigger is a bit complicated, however I haven't heard of a single malfunction. In my opinion all the negative remarks about it possibly failing are speculation.

The only downside I can think of is that only Jard makes an aftermarket trigger for it. My trigger is turned all the way down and breaks at 4.5 pounds. It has no creep and breaks like glass, I wish it were 3-3.5 lbs though.

As I said earlier the rifle is very accurate. I like the tikkas but dislike the fit and finish of the (cosmetics), I think the xbolt compares to the tikka in most areas but with better fit, finished, and magazine well.

My rifle has a wood stock 30-06 with a3x12 nikon and weighs 8lbs loaded with sling ready to hunt. Thats just about perfect to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd have to disagree with the Tikka barrels being any better they are very close in quality IMO.The X-Bolts I've played with shot great groups and the barrels where very smooth and cleaned up easily.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own two x-bolts, a 7-08 black synthetic Stalker and a 7wsm SS Stalker. Both shoot very well, the 7-08 is a little pickier on the load. Both have proven to be well made, accurate firearms. Both cycle smoothly and reliably. I prefer the SS variant. That 7wsm ain't going anywhere.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody please name me one company who has flat out goat-fuuked more bolt action design particulars than Browning. Nobody has done it better, or for longer.

The best thing going for the X-Bolt is that it isn't an A-Bort......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by micro240
Any reason why I shouldn't buy an X-Bolt?

Rifle will be used hard - cold conditions, backcountry/backpack hunts common, etc.

Any thoughts/input welcome.

Count me as biased, but I'd recommend a Browning BLR over the X-Bolt. The BLR is a light package and can be had in numerous configurations (blued/walnut, stainless/walnut, stainless/laminate, pistol grip, straight grip, take-down versions) and chambered for most any cartridge you might want. Caveats: The trigger isn't the best, but can be worked by some gunsmiths ( Neil Jones has a good reputation for it) and long action BLRs aren't as quick handling (longer lever throw and longer action length) as short action BLRs. I've not had my trigger worked and have gotten used to it. I may get it done someday.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Browning has closed the Winchester factory in New Haven, Ct and has the rifle being made by the Japs who started World War Two!

Don NEVER fails to open his mouth and remove all doubt. NEVER. F#ckin' idiot.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is no Ruger American, but if you like it, go for it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Browning has closed the Winchester factory in New Haven, Ct and has the rifle being made by the Japs who started World War Two!

Don NEVER fails to open his mouth and remove all doubt. NEVER. F#ckin' idiot.

I have seen that post for more then a decade...God bless him he never fails .

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I sighted in one in 7 mag a few years ago, nice shooting rifle.

When I worked at a range, I got to sight in a few guns every year for guys that didn't trust themselves or wanted a scapegoat.

The easy ones where 1. Sako 2. Weatherby Accu-marks. 3 Browning A and X Bolts. Blazer and Sauer where a given. The hardest was a BAR in 300 mag oh and a scoped AK just sucked.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Since you asked....

I just believe there are several other better rifles than the Browning X-bolt or A-bolt.

Just to name a few....

Tikka
Winchester
Weatherby
Ruger
Howa
Remington
Savage

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Since you asked....

I just believe there are several other better rifles than the Browning X-bolt or A-bolt.

Just to name a few....

Tikka
Winchester
Weatherby
Ruger
Howa
Remington
Savage

I have one in 308. It shoots pretty well, that said I'll be selling it next year. Of the above I would go with the first two if I had to do it over. Ultimate utility tool: tikka with an aftermarket stock. Beautiful classic: winchester m70 super grade. Both can be had for around a grand.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A few years back I was in PENN and saw 4 or 5 Abolts in 358 WIN a limited run from Grice's I believe. Not a bad gun in my opinion I guess they didnt sell very well and I see them on GUNBROKER every now and then.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Somebody please name me one company who has flat out goat-fuuked more bolt action design particulars than Browning. Nobody has done it better, or for longer.

The best thing going for the X-Bolt is that it isn't an A-Bort......

Absolutely!

I have a bunch of Browning guns: the BPS is the shotgun I tell every leftie to buy, the 22 pistol line is tough and I own a couple, the Clitoris are good shotguns for the money, and the A-Bort likely has
John spinning in his grave!

I have personally witnessed more failures in the field With A-Borts than all other makes and models combined. Several 24hour members were with me when their A-Bort triggers became locked up and useless.

At least the X is not an A, but that is scant solace if you count the number of parts in the bolt...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by micro240
Rifle will be used hard - cold conditions, backcountry/backpack hunts common, etc..

When I read this, Browning is the last bolt action that comes to mind.......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I missed that the first go-round myself. That requirement brings to mind Rugers, Mausers, old M70s, etc. something easy to take apart and no DMs.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Yeah, I missed that the first go-round myself. That requirement brings to mind Rugers, Mausers, old M70s, etc. something easy to take apart and no DMs.
Beat me to it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, just wow, is this experience talking (with the X-Bolt)? Or is it just opinion based on a different rifle? Admittedly, MO is not Alaska, but so far - for the past 5 seasons, both the X-BOLTS I've owned and shot and hunted with have functioned flawlessly. This does include one Colorado second season elk hunt in snow, rain, mud, cold and wind.

I sold my Extreme Weather Model 70 to a 'fire member and kept the X-bolt and don't regret it. It's lighter, more accurate, and fits me better. If you have personal experience with this rifle, that's one thing, but to disparage a rifle that you may have never owned, shot, or hunted with smacks a little bit of bias and group think. If a guy asks an honest question, give an honest answer based on your experience, not your opinions garnered from others. And Redneck, I am not including you in this response, I do very respect your opinion, but some of the responses are of no value to the OP.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend bought a 26 Nosler in one. For 1500 dollars there should be NO PLASTIC parts on it (magazine) IMO

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.