Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been loading 150gr Sierras for deer/pigs/etc for many years and always had very good results.

I plan to take my son with me elk hunting in 2018. the 7-08 will be the gun he uses most likely. I'd like to load a tougher bullet for elk.

I've tried 150 Partitions, but have not had good luck getting them to group nearly as well as the Sierras do.

Any recommendations here? I'm considering the 139 gr Hornady GMX, or the Barnes 140 TTSX.

If yall have already done extensive testing/research on this choice, I'm open to recommendations.

thanks in advance,

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't used them on elk myself, but always heard good things about the 150 ballistic tip from people I turst, have you tried those? If you go with a TTSX, consider the 120, it seems like those shoot really well with Varget or Big Game in a lot of 7-08s.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried the 140 BT, but groups weren't stellar with it either. The Sierra 150's have spoiled me a bit on groups.

the 120 TTSX sounds pretty light for an elk, does it not? obviously, that'd get the velocity on up there.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My impression is the 150 NBT is a bit stouter than the 150 Sierra, but I'd not hesitate to use the Sierra. Can't really see the need for a mono. The 7-08, like the 308, isn't especially tough on projectiles.

I took a decent 6x6 bull with the 150 NBT season before last... bullet traveled 32" of elk at an angle. Quickest kill I've ever seen on a bull.

My first choice would be the 140 Accubond or Partition if you can get either to shoot. Otherwise, I'd not hesitate to stay with the Sierra.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Billy...,

I used Hornady's 154 SP Interlock in a 7mm Rem Mag for years and many elk. They always produced dead elk for me. The Sierra that you have been using will also do the job. As will many other bullets. If you will be more comfortable with a tougher bullet the Interlock has a good reputation. If you would like something tougher then look to a bonded like Accubond, Swift Scirocco or Aframe to mention a couple.

You will find a lot of posts that swear by or at specific bullets but there are none that will make bad shot placement into a good shot and few that will not do the job at hand if the shot placement is reasonable.

I wish you and your son the best of luck with this year's season and your planed Elk hunt.

8mmwapiti

P.S. Elk hunting can be addictive, and there is no known cure.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
140 NAB

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be perfectly happy with a variety of bullets from the 7-08, but the 120 or 140 TTSX would probably top the list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife killed a bull with the 140 grain TTSX from a 7mm SAUM (3050 fps muzzle velocity), the photo shows the recovered bullet.

[Linked Image]

The hollow point on these bullets is so shallow that, at full expansion, the frontal area is not very large. The bullet above is expanded to the bottom of the hollow and can't expand any further.

Her first shot took out lungs and exited but the bull stayed on his feet, so she hit him through the chest again. The recovered bullet is a "finisher" that smashed bone from close range when the bull tried to get to his feet as she walked up to him. The internal damage was not that impressive, I would trade a bit of penetration for more expansion in this bullet.

Don't know if the GMX or E-Tip would be any better but I'd use something other than the 140 TTSX in the 7-08. Maybe a 160 Accubond?

Cancer Sucks
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that I've killed my FIRST elk, I am now an expert smile But seriously having killed a few elk-sized animals, I'd choose ANYTHING but a Sierra. All I can tell you is that three of us used TTSXs and one used a Nosler AB, and we all had great results, so I would pick the bullet your rifle shoots best, except the Sierra.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So Jorge, you've used the 150 Sierra at 7-08 speeds?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. Learned my lesson with Sierras a long time ago at 3006 speeds, and based on what I've read, seen and told to me first hand by folks with a LOT more experience than myself, I think I'm on solid ground.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So no personal experience at 7-08 speeds... check.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7mm-08 Nosler Partition 140 2800 fps
3006 Sierra Pro-Hunter 180 2700 "

Shoulder hit on an 80lb sow@ ~ 100 yards, bullet caused gaping hole on shoulder with about 2" of penetration. Fortunately he hung around for a second shot to the head.

PS: I've never driven or owned a Yugo either to know they are not a good car. CHECK...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Brad, I don't see the need for a monometal in a 7-08 either, but if I did, I'd want the extra speed of the 120.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So again, no personal experience with the 150/284 Sierra at 7-08 Speeds. Check.

BTW, Jorge just saw your elk thread, congrat's on a nice bull.

Last edited by Brad; 10/03/16.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Shot a cow elk last season with the 7-08, 150 gr Partition. At 100 yds the bullet went through both shoulders and clipped the spine, anchored her right there. 41.2 gr 4320, haven't checked the velocity but I figure they are motoring around 2800-2900 fps. Bullet must be able to get to the boiler room and/or compromise skeletal integrity.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Brad, I don't see the need for a monometal in a 7-08 either, but if I did, I'd want the extra speed of the 120.

This. Monos are fine if you have velocity, or the animal is close. with moderate velocity rounds, distance is not your friend.

Moderate-velocity rounds do not need monos to do a good job. I am a fan of Abs and Partitions, but Hornady Interlocks are great at 7-08/.308 speeds. The Sierra you have MAY be OK, but I will never load another one for big game based on my limited experience.

My selection would be ABs/Partitions, Hornady Interlocks and then all the rest after that.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

I do agree that speed is the mono's friend, no doubt.

I've just had/seen enough wonky things with those darn things I've sworn them off. That's not to say they don't work well 95% of the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Brad, I kinda look at it this way in case you missed the Yugo analogy: I've never pissed on an electrified fence either, but I'll take the word of those who have...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
understood that mono's at 7-08 speeds arent as good a fit.

obvious answer for a tougher bullet is the Partition or an Accubond at my speeds.

I've already got some PT's on hand. Might pickup a box of AB's as well. I've got two years to get the problem solved, so no huge rush....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.