-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter has killed two elk with a 308 and 150 federal fusions one cow one bull. So not the same but probably somewhat comparable. On the bull she broke both shoulders with two shots. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of external bleeding, but the bull died in seconds.

The cow was one shot right behind the shoulder and it died in seconds too.

I've killed a few cows with my 7x57 and 150NPTs and of course they worked great.

I used to get really hung up on bullet selection but after killing and guiding to 50+ bulls and cows I care less and less about it given reasonable choices.

Get a good first shot and then if you still have a clear shot keep shooting until they are down and not moving.

Worry ALOT more about being in shape and your field shooting skills.

Last edited by Ralphie; 11/22/16.
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hornady 140 GMX in 7mm-08 worked fine for me @275 yards on a nice 5x5 bull elk this year. First shot was in the diaphragm, second in the neck. Total distanced traveled = 10 yards.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 7x57 I am always looking for the perfect combo for on elk. I have loaded, 140 gr. bullets of every make,150 gr core lokts 160 gr Nos. Part. ,160 gr Trophy Bondeds and 175 gr Rem core lokts.
The one time I actually used it on elk I made a shot of about 150 yds on a raghorn that was trotting through the woods quartering away. Bullet hit the last long rib on the right side and penetrated through lungs, made a half dollar sized hole through heart and ended in the base of neck on left side. Bull was in steep terrain and made it down hil about 200 yds. but was dead in seconds.
The load was 150 gr. core lokt at a muzzle velocity of 2600fps . Not the hottest load but most CONSISTENT..
My wife will carry the same load and gun this afternoon and tomorrow looking for a cow to add to the freezer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My sons have killed a couple elk with their 7mm08's using 160 Grand Slams. Two more with Remington 140 core lokt factory loads. All worked OK, but the Grand slams gave better penetration and held together better.
I use 160 Nosler Part in my 7x57's and like what I see with them too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife has taken two elk with a 7-08ai, one a little over 300 yds with a 140 gr TSX, second was around 400 yds with a 120 gr TTSX. MV was around 2940 fps with the 140, and around 3100 fps with the 120 gr bullet. Bullet performance was very good in both cases, good expansion and damage, neither was recovered.

Not exactly a large sample size, but I would be very confident with a TTSX of 120 or 140 gr out of a 7-08 on elk out to 400 or so yds.

Great cartridge choice by the way.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I saw a VERY large cow killed yesterday morning at 307 Yds with a 7mm-08 and a 120 Grn Ballistic tip.

In one side of the lungs and out the other with significant lung damage.

It wouldn't have been my first choice for elk, but the hunter did his job and I was very impressed with the results.

Last edited by jmgraham1986; 11/26/16.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Billy_Goat: Go with the proven Elk killing bullet - the Nosler 160 grain Partitions.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
With calibers that are a little light, there is only one option (IMHO): Barnes. Partitions are good and I've used them a lot, but they exit 50% lighter. Barnes are the same weight coming out that they are going in and penetration is superior to anything else out there. You won't go wrong.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by beartrack
With calibers that are a little light, there is only one option (IMHO): Barnes. Partitions are good and I've used them a lot, but they exit 50% lighter. Barnes are the same weight coming out that they are going in and penetration is superior to anything else out there. You won't go wrong.
So what,dead is dead.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm sure this will start a pissing match, but elk are not as bullet proof and hard to kill as many would like to make it.

Watched a cow take one long jump and fall over dead after being hit with a .243 a week ago.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I saw a VERY large cow killed yesterday morning at 307 Yds with a 7mm-08 and a 120 Grn Ballistic tip.

In one side of the lungs and out the other with significant lung damage.

It wouldn't have been my first choice for elk, but the hunter did his job and I was very impressed with the results.

Great elk combo! been using it for awhile now.

Kent

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM
I'm sure this will start a pissing match, but elk are not as bullet proof and hard to kill as many would like to make it.

Watched a cow take one long jump and fall over dead after being hit with a .243 a week ago.

Hit well they die easy. Also if they are unaware.

But hit them at all wrong or spook them, they load up with adrenalin and become pretty tough. Like shooting a truck tire sometimes.

At least that's what Ive seen. Nothing is bullet proof really.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SLM

Hit well they die easy. Also if they are unaware.

But hit them at all wrong or spook them, they load up with adrenalin and become pretty tough. Like shooting a truck tire sometimes.

At least that's what Ive seen. Nothing is bullet proof really.

I would agree with all that.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I would agree with all that.

+1

Lefty C

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Like people, every animal is different. But make no mistake elk and moose are NOT like deer. I'm sure no one on this site has ever lost an animal because of a bonehead shot, but there are many who have (and I've had the bad luck of having to help track many of them). "Dead is dead," but I subscribe to Elmer Keith's philosophy that there's never been an animal that has been "over-killed," because there's been a lot that weren't killed at all because folks were under-gunned or wrong bullet for the job.

I've killed far more Canadian moose than elk, but my personal experience causes me to believe that elk are tougher than moose. I've watched a large cow elk double lunged by a 7mm Mag 160 SGK. The bullet completely came apart and she ran up a hill headed for the next state (lucky follow up is the only thing that stopped her). I've watched a fool blow up a 7mm 120 NBT on a moose's rib. I've had to track bad hits on elk from .338 and seen a too close, heavy bull elk lost to what should have been a killing shot from a .270 with cup & core factory bullets. Yet, my mother-in-law used to kill a moose on her place in Telegraph Creek almost every year with a .250 Savage.

The question isn't what CAN kill an elk (that would be a .22 RF). The question is what is going to reliably kill. If you are willing to pass up poor shots, a .243 is fine. Because my mother-in-law had migrating moose going past her house every day in the fall, she could choose the perfect shot. Yet, are you going to pass up that quartering shot on a 370 bull at the edge of your range? Do you want to have to?

After using most big game bullet out there (including partitions, which are a fine bullet)from New Mexico to the Yukon border, when I was in BC, I started using Barnes exclusively on BIG animals for the penetration and weigh retention. I favor two holes that bleed over one; more penetration also means more internal damage. I had the confidence that no matter how big the bull, I could make a kill shot at any angle as far out as I was capable of making the shot. Did I always need to? No, only once, but I was glad that I had a bullet I could shoot lengthwise through a bull moose.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like people, every animal is different. But make no mistake elk and moose are NOT like deer. I'm sure no one on this site has ever lost an animal because of a bonehead shot, but there are many who have (and I've had the bad luck of having to help track many of them). "Dead is dead," but I subscribe to Elmer Keith's philosophy that there's never been an animal that has been "over-killed," because there's been a lot that weren't killed at all because folks were under-gunned or wrong bullet for the job.

I've killed far more Canadian moose than elk, but my personal experience causes me to believe that elk are tougher than moose. I've watched a large cow elk double lunged by a 7mm Mag 160 SGK. The bullet completely came apart and she ran up a hill headed for the next state (lucky follow up is the only thing that stopped her). I've watched a fool blow up a 7mm 120 NBT on a moose's rib. I've had to track bad hits on elk from .338 and seen a too close, heavy bull elk lost to what should have been a killing shot from a .270 with cup & core factory bullets. Yet, my mother-in-law used to kill a moose on her place in Telegraph Creek almost every year with a .250 Savage.

The question isn't what CAN kill an elk (that would be a .22 RF). The question is what is going to reliably kill. If you are willing to pass up poor shots, a .243 is fine. Because my mother-in-law had migrating moose going past her house every day in the fall, she could choose the perfect shot. Yet, are you going to pass up that quartering shot on a 370 bull at the edge of your range? Do you want to have to?

After using most big game bullet out there (including partitions, which are a fine bullet)from New Mexico to the Yukon border, when I was in BC, I started using Barnes exclusively on BIG animals for the penetration and weigh retention. I favor two holes that bleed over one; more penetration also means more internal damage. I had the confidence that no matter how big the bull, I could make a kill shot at any angle as far out as I was capable of making the shot. Did I always need to? No, only once, but I was glad that I had a bullet I could shoot lengthwise through a bull moose.

Well said. I never saw a problem with hedging bets by using something that penetrated and expanded more reliably than a standard C&C.

All bullets are not the same once they hit stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Well said. Reminds me of what Bob Hagel wrote on the subject, which is still relevant today. I will note that you said "on BIG animals". I have shot a total of 5 moose, 4 with partitions and one with a C&C bullet. There was a world of difference in penetration, not surprisingly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Well said. I never saw a problem with hedging bets by using something that penetrated and expanded more reliably than a standard C&C.

All bullets are not the same once they hit stuff.

Indeed, well said.

I have a 243 that has now accounted for 14 elk--all of them with a 100gr NPt. My son has been using that rifle for the last 5 years.

This year he made a poor hit on a heavily quartering away mature cow. The bullet entered the front of the hind quarter, passed into the flank, drove through the guts, clipping the liver and drilling a lung. Found the bullet up against the offside front quarter. That bullet traversed through about 3/4 of a 500 lb elk. And it's a good example how a premium bullet can make a difference with a less than ideal hit.

These days it's all in the bullet.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is always amazing to me the direction that some of these threads take. The OP was looking for input on the 7-08 and bullets for elk. Mono performance at 7mag, 7 rum etc, etc. are of no consequence to what he asked for.

Monos perform flawlessly at high velocity, but CAN become problematic at lower velocity and longer range. Also, how they perform on deer is not a big deal either. He asked about elk.

The reason that the Abs and Parts are so recommended, is that they perform at a wide range of velocity. The Partition shines in a moderate-velocity round, as the front part expands very easily. The Ab is much the same. The Interlock is also very good at moderate velocity.

The 120-grain monos would be a fair choice, I believe, because you have plenty of velocity to utilize, but my choice would still be an AB or Part 140-grain at around 2800.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is always amazing to me the direction that some of these threads take. The OP was looking for input on the 7-08 and bullets for elk. Mono performance at 7mag, 7 rum etc, etc. are of no consequence to what he asked for.

+1!

I think most people mean well, but just can't help but pipe in, whether or not they are of any help.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.