Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been loading 150gr Sierras for deer/pigs/etc for many years and always had very good results.

I plan to take my son with me elk hunting in 2018. the 7-08 will be the gun he uses most likely. I'd like to load a tougher bullet for elk.

I've tried 150 Partitions, but have not had good luck getting them to group nearly as well as the Sierras do.

Any recommendations here? I'm considering the 139 gr Hornady GMX, or the Barnes 140 TTSX.

If yall have already done extensive testing/research on this choice, I'm open to recommendations.

thanks in advance,

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't used them on elk myself, but always heard good things about the 150 ballistic tip from people I turst, have you tried those? If you go with a TTSX, consider the 120, it seems like those shoot really well with Varget or Big Game in a lot of 7-08s.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried the 140 BT, but groups weren't stellar with it either. The Sierra 150's have spoiled me a bit on groups.

the 120 TTSX sounds pretty light for an elk, does it not? obviously, that'd get the velocity on up there.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My impression is the 150 NBT is a bit stouter than the 150 Sierra, but I'd not hesitate to use the Sierra. Can't really see the need for a mono. The 7-08, like the 308, isn't especially tough on projectiles.

I took a decent 6x6 bull with the 150 NBT season before last... bullet traveled 32" of elk at an angle. Quickest kill I've ever seen on a bull.

My first choice would be the 140 Accubond or Partition if you can get either to shoot. Otherwise, I'd not hesitate to stay with the Sierra.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Billy...,

I used Hornady's 154 SP Interlock in a 7mm Rem Mag for years and many elk. They always produced dead elk for me. The Sierra that you have been using will also do the job. As will many other bullets. If you will be more comfortable with a tougher bullet the Interlock has a good reputation. If you would like something tougher then look to a bonded like Accubond, Swift Scirocco or Aframe to mention a couple.

You will find a lot of posts that swear by or at specific bullets but there are none that will make bad shot placement into a good shot and few that will not do the job at hand if the shot placement is reasonable.

I wish you and your son the best of luck with this year's season and your planed Elk hunt.

8mmwapiti

P.S. Elk hunting can be addictive, and there is no known cure.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
140 NAB

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be perfectly happy with a variety of bullets from the 7-08, but the 120 or 140 TTSX would probably top the list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife killed a bull with the 140 grain TTSX from a 7mm SAUM (3050 fps muzzle velocity), the photo shows the recovered bullet.

[Linked Image]

The hollow point on these bullets is so shallow that, at full expansion, the frontal area is not very large. The bullet above is expanded to the bottom of the hollow and can't expand any further.

Her first shot took out lungs and exited but the bull stayed on his feet, so she hit him through the chest again. The recovered bullet is a "finisher" that smashed bone from close range when the bull tried to get to his feet as she walked up to him. The internal damage was not that impressive, I would trade a bit of penetration for more expansion in this bullet.

Don't know if the GMX or E-Tip would be any better but I'd use something other than the 140 TTSX in the 7-08. Maybe a 160 Accubond?

Cancer Sucks
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that I've killed my FIRST elk, I am now an expert smile But seriously having killed a few elk-sized animals, I'd choose ANYTHING but a Sierra. All I can tell you is that three of us used TTSXs and one used a Nosler AB, and we all had great results, so I would pick the bullet your rifle shoots best, except the Sierra.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So Jorge, you've used the 150 Sierra at 7-08 speeds?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. Learned my lesson with Sierras a long time ago at 3006 speeds, and based on what I've read, seen and told to me first hand by folks with a LOT more experience than myself, I think I'm on solid ground.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So no personal experience at 7-08 speeds... check.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7mm-08 Nosler Partition 140 2800 fps
3006 Sierra Pro-Hunter 180 2700 "

Shoulder hit on an 80lb sow@ ~ 100 yards, bullet caused gaping hole on shoulder with about 2" of penetration. Fortunately he hung around for a second shot to the head.

PS: I've never driven or owned a Yugo either to know they are not a good car. CHECK...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Brad, I don't see the need for a monometal in a 7-08 either, but if I did, I'd want the extra speed of the 120.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So again, no personal experience with the 150/284 Sierra at 7-08 Speeds. Check.

BTW, Jorge just saw your elk thread, congrat's on a nice bull.

Last edited by Brad; 10/03/16.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Shot a cow elk last season with the 7-08, 150 gr Partition. At 100 yds the bullet went through both shoulders and clipped the spine, anchored her right there. 41.2 gr 4320, haven't checked the velocity but I figure they are motoring around 2800-2900 fps. Bullet must be able to get to the boiler room and/or compromise skeletal integrity.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Brad, I don't see the need for a monometal in a 7-08 either, but if I did, I'd want the extra speed of the 120.

This. Monos are fine if you have velocity, or the animal is close. with moderate velocity rounds, distance is not your friend.

Moderate-velocity rounds do not need monos to do a good job. I am a fan of Abs and Partitions, but Hornady Interlocks are great at 7-08/.308 speeds. The Sierra you have MAY be OK, but I will never load another one for big game based on my limited experience.

My selection would be ABs/Partitions, Hornady Interlocks and then all the rest after that.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I do agree that speed is the mono's friend, no doubt.

I've just had/seen enough wonky things with those darn things I've sworn them off. That's not to say they don't work well 95% of the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Brad, I kinda look at it this way in case you missed the Yugo analogy: I've never pissed on an electrified fence either, but I'll take the word of those who have...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
understood that mono's at 7-08 speeds arent as good a fit.

obvious answer for a tougher bullet is the Partition or an Accubond at my speeds.

I've already got some PT's on hand. Might pickup a box of AB's as well. I've got two years to get the problem solved, so no huge rush....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting that those saying monometals aren't needed in the 7-08 are also recommending PT's or AB's...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
My wife killed a bull with the 140 grain TTSX from a 7mm SAUM (3050 fps muzzle velocity), the photo shows the recovered bullet.

[Linked Image]

The hollow point on these bullets is so shallow that, at full expansion, the frontal area is not very large. The bullet above is expanded to the bottom of the hollow and can't expand any further.

Her first shot took out lungs and exited but the bull stayed on his feet, so she hit him through the chest again. The recovered bullet is a "finisher" that smashed bone from close range when the bull tried to get to his feet as she walked up to him. The internal damage was not that impressive, I would trade a bit of penetration for more expansion in this bullet.

Don't know if the GMX or E-Tip would be any better but I'd use something other than the 140 TTSX in the 7-08. Maybe a 160 Accubond?

This goes counter to my experience with the 140 TTSX. It opens wide and violent, but often loses petals, as looks to be the case with the bullet in your pic.

Below is a pic of the lungs a bull moose I shot with the 140 TTSX impacting at about 2900 fps. You can see the wound channel through the lungs. The bullet exited after a quartering shot, and was not recovered.

[Linked Image]

Here are the petals recovered from a WT buck I shot with the 140 TTSX. The shank exited. The petals were embedded in the off side. The buck was DRT.

[Linked Image]

Some more petals recovered from 140 TTSX kills on deer and elk...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These threads are always interesting. Not taking away from anything you said Jordan, but a single instance of any piece of critical gear not performing as expected is enough for most of us to go in a different direction, despite positive experience of most others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Is the 7mm 140 TSX substantially different structurally compared to the 120 TSX 7mm? This is a 120gr from my 7-08 I recovered from a whitetail I shot fore to aft at 140 yards. Muzzle velocity was 2980 fps. I was pretty happy with the expansion (the deer was less pleased grin )

[Linked Image]

This is one from a pig with the same rifle. IIRC the shot was about 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pugs; 10/03/16. Reason: add second pic

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bullet in the photo I posted smashed through heavy bone and is expanded nearly to the bottom of the hollow point, it could not have expanded further. Also notice the front groove of the recovered bullet is in line with the front groove of the one that is loaded so you can tell how little of the front of the bullet can open and expand.

I believe Barnes should make the hollow in the point deeper so the bullet could expand to a larger frontal area.

I have never used the 120 TTSX, can't comment on the difference in construction but the expansion in your photos looks like I expected the 140s to expand.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These threads are always interesting. Not taking away from anything you said Jordan, but a single instance of any piece of critical gear not performing as expected is enough for most of us to go in a different direction, despite positive experience of most others.

This is true, and eventually happens with every make and model of every piece of gear we can possibly use, if we use it long enough. The fact is, as Dober used to say, every bullet will sooner or later do something that makes you go "Hmmmmmm...."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have killed a lot of stuff with the 708. My two favorite bullets are the 154 Hornady interlock and the 150 Partition. The Sierras work most of the time. There simply isn't a better bullet than the 154 Hornady. There may be some as good, however.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot 3 animals in Africa using my Kimber Montana and Barnes Vor Tex 120 grain TTSX factory ammo. A warthog broadside at 70 yards, complete pass thru and DRT, shot behind shoulder. Bessbok at 159 yeards, spined him, bullet not recovered, needed a finishing shot and a smallish impala (22"), shot thru both shoulders and bullet was found opposite side skin, DRT, lost a petal. Impala was about 70 lbs, I would use a 140 or 150 grain bullet. Good luck.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Put me in the 120 ttsx camp for the 7-08. Bullet performance is a bit more religion and faith than actual performance.
Is it necessary, probably not, but in my wife's Sako they are very accurate, and have worked on six elk and two buffalo. Though all have been inside 350 yards.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I used a 140 TTSX on my one and only elk last December. Did not recover the bullet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went on a combo Muley/elk hunt a few years back with a Kinber 84 in 7-08. Being that both critters were on the menu, I settled on the 160 AB ahead of a case full of H414 (which really seemed to shine with heavier bullet weights). Consistent .75-.80 MOA for three shot groups.

Unfortunately, didn't get on an elk but whacked a mule deer buck at exactly 200 yds (lazed). It was a very steep quartering. Shot hit him behind the diaphragm on the right side. Bullet exited the lower left shoulder with about a quarter sized hole. He fell on the spot. Couldn't find bullet.

So, no elk experience with the 7-08 but i was (and still would be) totally comfortable with that load. But then again, like its parent, hard to go wrong with any decent bullet in the 7-08.

Good luck on your hunt.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed 3 bulls with the 7mm 154 Hornady Interbond, not apples to apples though as I used a STW. Recovered two, perfect mushrooms; all three elk were dead quickly.

Last edited by slm9s; 10/03/16.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have 140 grain accubonds loaded up for the wife's tikka 7mm-08 and for my Montana 7mm-08. I would have liked to have ran 150 grain ballistic tips but both guns preferred the accubonds which doesn't break my heart either

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Billy Goat
My son killed a cow elk at about 200 yards using 7-08 with a 139 Hornady IL - bang flop. I tried loading the 140 NPT but didn't group well but the Hornady grouped well and did the job. If the premiums shoot well that's great but they are not necessary at 7-08 speeds.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr
If the premiums shoot well that's great but they are not necessary at 7-08 speeds.

Yup. They work well, but aren't necessary in the -08.

S
S
A person can't go wrong with a Barnes bullet. My sister shot a 50" moose with 139 grain interlocks. He went like 30 yards laid down and within a minute his head tipped over

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slm9s
I've killed 3 bulls with the 7mm 154 Hornady Interbond, not apples to apples though as I used a STW. Recovered two, perfect mushrooms; all three elk were dead quickly.

This was one of my backup rigs out of a 7 Weatherby. Hornadys are pretty good bullets, certainly better than any Sierra. FOr hunting anyway

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sierra report from another thread, and from an even slower 308:

Originally Posted by jackhammer922
Well, I don't know if anybody remembers, but I started a thread about performance of the 165 gr hpbt on game sized deer and up. I had previously shot a Blackbuck in the shoulder at 160 yds, and the bullet split in two, killing it like a lightning strike. I thought to myself, If this bullet will come in two on an amimal of this size, what would it do on bigger critters? I got to do some testing the other day on an Axis buck and a fallow doe at 50 yds.

The performance of the bullet was horrible. On the buck, I double lunged him and he ran about 40 yds and died. Only one drop of blood to track with. If my guide had not been with me and seen where the buck had run,it could have turned into a 2 hour tracking job. (It was some thick stuff he had run into) I then shot a Fallow doe at the same distance where her neck joined her body. The shot was a little high and back, so it was essentially a very high shoulder shot. The instant the bullet hit bone, it exploded, crippling the deer and leaving it suffering.

I had to shoot it in the head to put it out of it's misery. So although the load out of my .308 delivers match accuracy, target shooting is all I will use it for. Yeah, it killed the animals, but overall I am very disappointed with the bullet performance. I will try to work up a load with H4895 or Varget behind a 130 gr triple shock. Had I been using that bullet, both deer might have been DRT. I would have at least had a blood trail. The doe would probably never known what hit her. Instead, she suffered unimaginably for about 2 minutes. Way to go Sierra! The techs said it was one of their toughest bullets. Horsesh#&!

The reason I posted this thread in the "Ask The Gunwriters" forum is because it is a follow up thread. The original thread was asking a gunwriter about this bullet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd feel very good with a 140 partition or accubond personally, loaded to 2800fps.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]

That bullet must have a much shorter hole in the front than the .338 versions I've used. The only one I've recovered from an animal was .75" across the front (launched at same 3050fps).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm

That bullet must have a much shorter hole in the front than the .338 versions I've used. The only one I've recovered from an animal was .75" across the front (launched at same 3050fps).

Yep, I load the 185 TTSX in 338 RCM and they expand as expected.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like when velocity is moderate enough to where reliable expansion of mono-bullets is in question, the Partition is generally a pretty good answer, assuming one still wants decent penetration. I'm no elk hunter, but that's what I would load in a 7mm-08 if I was taking one. Either 140's or 150's, whatever shot well.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Sierra SBT's are ok but don't use the HP's on elk. They're made for deer.
AB's are the most accurate bullet I've ever shot but they ruin too much meat for my taste.
I've had GREAT luck with Speer Hotcores but I can't get them locally any more. I hate to have to order my bullets. I've shot a lot of elk with Hotcores and find them to work as well as Partitions.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love Hotcores, my favorite C&C bullet... took last years 7x7 bull with a 165 from my 308.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
Seems like when velocity is moderate enough to where reliable expansion of mono-bullets is in question, the Partition is generally a pretty good answer, assuming one still wants decent penetration. I'm no elk hunter, but that's what I would load in a 7mm-08 if I was taking one. Either 140's or 150's, whatever shot well.

I've found that in those scenarios a premium isn't needed at all. An IL, BT, HC, etc do the job just fine at moderate speeds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barnes TTSXs properly propelled, like Porsche, there is no substitute smile

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Brad
My impression is the 150 NBT is a bit stouter than the 150 Sierra, but I'd not hesitate to use the Sierra. Can't really see the need for a mono. The 7-08, like the 308, isn't especially tough on projectiles.

I took a decent 6x6 bull with the 150 NBT season before last... bullet traveled 32" of elk at an angle. Quickest kill I've ever seen on a bull.

My first choice would be the 140 Accubond or Partition if you can get either to shoot. Otherwise, I'd not hesitate to stay with the Sierra.

That's the experience I'd listen to personally. He has THE experience that matters IMHO.

Monos weren't ever meant for cartridges like the 7-08 tho they'll clearly work there. The whole reason they were developed was due to the stress on bullets from >3000 fps speeds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My experience is limited to three bulls. Two, a 4x4 and a spike, died right now from a single 140 Partition. 47.5 gr Big Game, Winchester magnum primer, 2870 MV.
The 4x4 was only 68 yards, I broke the on side scapula, double lung, caught the bullet under the hide on the far side. Two steps forward, two steps backward, fell over.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The spike was 346 yards, steeply quartered away. Shot behind the right shoulder, double lung, bullet exited just in front of the left leg. Straight down, not a step.

[Linked Image]

Same load but 140 Accubond, 225 yards, MV 2850, double lung and exit. My dad's best bull so far.

[Linked Image]

30 yards and fell over.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Partitions are and continue to be the standard. If your rifle shoots them, use them! I used them in Africa out of my 300 Weatherby with great results. That said the locus of this thread included Sierras, which I would never use on anything except varmints at any speed in any caliber.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
In that cartridge I'm with you Jorge; 168 gr TTSXs!!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've killed elk with 7mm NBT and TTSX 150 grains out of a 7 RM over 300 yards with excellent results from the TTSX and good and bad from the Nosler. What convinced me though was breaking bones with exits on a big boar at over 500 yards with the Barnes, that isn't something that the Nosler would be good at. Accubonds didn't shoot well or perform well on deer, that is where the NBT is the best choice in my experience .

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Partitions are and continue to be the standard. If your rifle shoots them, use them! I used them in Africa out of my 300 Weatherby with great results. That said the locus of this thread included Sierras, which I would never use on anything except varmints at any speed in any caliber.

I hear folks echo this but I haven't had any issues with some Sierra bullets. I have killed quite a number of animals with the 140 grain Game King from my 260 and 260AI. In fact, this was the bullet that I just took to Kodiak Island on a deer hunt.

This, heavy for caliber bullet, is very accurate, very reliable and very inexpensive. I have killed 400 # bears, bull elk, feral horses, deer and cow elk with this bullet. I have no complaints. At 260 Velocities it holds together and expands to a perfect mushroom, does loads of internal damage and penetrates nicely.

My Kodiak blacktail took one round at 400 yards quartering away. Missed ribs on way in, made a 1" size hole in heart, top of one lung and exited the shoulder. Deer took one step backwards and flopped over dead. This is typical of this bullet.

Shot a large black bear 3 years ago, bear took one step and fell on his nose, range was 20 feet.

I have not used them in my 708 but I'll bet the 160 GK and 175 GK will work the same way.

The Partitions work good but they cost twice as much and are not as easy to get to shoot as these Sierras.

NRA Benefactor Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I have no problem sending Sierra bullets at elk with 7-08. My freezer has been filled several times over using them. Experience trumps guessing.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wyoelk

I have no problem sending Sierra bullets at elk with 7-08. My freezer has been filled several times over using them. Experience trumps guessing.

Which Sierra?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Experience trumps guessing.

Shocking grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd feel very good with a 140 partition or accubond personally, loaded to 2800fps.

That's what I'd use.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH

That's what I'd use.
Interesting,I would use the 160 gr NP or even a 160 gr SAF.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

That's what I'd use.
Interesting,I would use the 160 gr NP or even a 160 gr SAF.

Ken: I like the 160 in the bigger 7mm's. smile

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I like the 160 in any 7mm cartridge. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I understand..... grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fan of the 150 NBT.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone using the 150 PT out of the 7-08?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'd recommend the 160gr. accubond or the 160 or 175gr partition. I've used the 175 partition in 7mm-08 and was happy with it. At 7mag velocities I'd switch to the 175 Woodleigh or A-frame, but they both need more velocity.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Teeder
Anyone using the 150 PT out of the 7-08?

I assume you are talking the Nosler Partition. If so, as stated, I have. It is a good performing bullet. It is a little softer maybe than the 154 Hornady and twice as expensive. My only real comments.

I have killed elk, deer and bear with both of those bullets. No hesitation to use either one. I don't think heavier bullets are needed at these velocities.

NRA Benefactor Member

H
H
Would be hard to beat a Woodleigh Weldcore, I use 140gr for SAMBAR, which is a tougher Animal than the Elk, will to live is hard to believe.

I use 140gr in my 7mm08 to keep a few FPS up my sleeve for flatter trajectory and 140gr holds up very well in close and out to 350m.

if I were woods hunting with this Calibre I would load 160gr and keep shots to under 200m.

longer , heavier projectiles really start to bite into the 7mm08 case capacity, especially with Match grade chambered Kimbers and alike.

if Woodleighs are unavailable, Accubond or as mentioned, Partitions are the Standard of which all else is measured.

check out some of my hunts on youtube - HilldogTV
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by HillDog
I use 140gr for SAMBAR, which is a tougher Animal than the Elk, will to live is hard to believe.

Curious.... Have you killed many rutting bull elk to compare to?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So no personal experience at 7-08 speeds... check.

I've killed many truck loads of animals with a 7x57, some of them pretty big. I have mostly shot 140 TTSX Barnes at about 2900 fps whitetails, kudu, gemsbuck whatever. It will penetrate at pretty much any angle, which the Sierra won't. I've shot a ton of Sierras in the old days, when there weren't premium bullets, broadside shots through both lungs, they are deadly, bad angles, no thanks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

[Linked Image]

This goes counter to my experience with the 140 TTSX. It opens wide and violent, but often loses petals, as looks to be the case with the bullet in your pic.

Below is a pic of the lungs a bull moose I shot with the 140 TTSX impacting at about 2900 fps. You can see the wound channel through the lungs. The bullet exited after a quartering shot, and was not recovered.

[Linked Image]

Here are the petals recovered from a WT buck I shot with the 140 TTSX. The shank exited. The petals were embedded in the off side. The buck was DRT.

[Linked Image]

Some more petals recovered from 140 TTSX kills on deer and elk...

[Linked Image]

I've shot a ton of monos a lot of them at whitetails. I've shot one head of game twice. Most of them were at moderate speed 2900 or so out of a 7x57

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My wife and I have killed quite a bit of game with the 140 Accubonds with good results.

This year I had a moose tag, and decided to switch to copper for a little more penetraion. I used the 139 GMX and it worked well, but I don't think the jump from the accubond was necessary.

Luckily my gun shoots them both well at the same point of impact, so I can switch back and forth. I have a very good elk tag as well that I'll be hunting this weekend, and I'm not sure which round I'll use. I'm very confident with either.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 140gr partitions loaded up for my wife 7-08

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Granted not on elk, but the 160 Sierra out of my 7x57 does a fine job on deer, never been able to find one in the animal and leaves a nice wound channel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I'd be perfectly happy with a variety of bullets from the 7-08, but the 120 or 140 TTSX would probably top the list.

+1

Flawless performance from the 120grTTSX on 2 bull moose & a good bag of northern Canadian whitetail deer.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have been hunting elk in Montana for about 39 seasons (and all except two years) I have shot one or 2 elk, maybe 45 or 50 total elk. I estimate most of the elk I killed were with 7mm bullets. Most out of a 7mag and quite a few out of a 7x57. Depending on yardage most would be at similar velocity as a 7mm08.
The biggest bodied elk I have ever shot was with the 7x57. I used a ruger #1 with 150 Barnes x boat tails.
For the past 16 years I have used a 7mag with a 26" lilja barrel and 150 swift siricco bullets. Very happy with their performance on elk at ranges from 30 yards to 650 yards.
This year I picked up a 7-08 model 7. I am getting a bit older and figured it would be nice to pack in the timber. I will still use the mag when I'm in more open long range areas.
I tried but couldn't get the swift siroccos to shoot in it. I did get a great load with 139 hornady gmx bullets so that is what I plan on using for elk this year.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That's what I'd use.

I think I'm in this camp.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my old Remington 725 .280 Rem., for years I've used the 140 grs and 160 grs Nosler Partitions, and the 139 grs Hornady Interlock bullets on Elk, Mule Deer, Blacktail deer, antelope, and Black bear. They have always performed well for me.

Guess I'll stick with 'em. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our last 4 fell to 120 B-Tips. 2 in 7-08 and 2 from .280 Rem. 1 shot each from 325 to 420 yards.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Our last 4 fell to 120 B-Tips. 2 in 7-08 and 2 from .280 Rem. 1 shot each from 325 to 420 yards.

Pics and load data please.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
140 partition

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I am coaching a woman who is learning to hunt in her 40's. She shoots a Tikka 7-08, and we standardized on the 120gr TTSX as her hunting bullet. The day before yesterday she shot an average sized muley doe in the front of the chest (i.e., it was looking at her dead on) at about 125 yards. DRT, and I found the bullet just under the skin of the stomach, right in front of the hips, as I started to field dress it. So it had gone through about 30" of critter, from sternum to hip. Recovered weight was 106 gr, and two petals were gone. Makes me think it would be adequate on elk as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter has killed two elk with a 308 and 150 federal fusions one cow one bull. So not the same but probably somewhat comparable. On the bull she broke both shoulders with two shots. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of external bleeding, but the bull died in seconds.

The cow was one shot right behind the shoulder and it died in seconds too.

I've killed a few cows with my 7x57 and 150NPTs and of course they worked great.

I used to get really hung up on bullet selection but after killing and guiding to 50+ bulls and cows I care less and less about it given reasonable choices.

Get a good first shot and then if you still have a clear shot keep shooting until they are down and not moving.

Worry ALOT more about being in shape and your field shooting skills.

Last edited by Ralphie; 11/22/16.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hornady 140 GMX in 7mm-08 worked fine for me @275 yards on a nice 5x5 bull elk this year. First shot was in the diaphragm, second in the neck. Total distanced traveled = 10 yards.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 7x57 I am always looking for the perfect combo for on elk. I have loaded, 140 gr. bullets of every make,150 gr core lokts 160 gr Nos. Part. ,160 gr Trophy Bondeds and 175 gr Rem core lokts.
The one time I actually used it on elk I made a shot of about 150 yds on a raghorn that was trotting through the woods quartering away. Bullet hit the last long rib on the right side and penetrated through lungs, made a half dollar sized hole through heart and ended in the base of neck on left side. Bull was in steep terrain and made it down hil about 200 yds. but was dead in seconds.
The load was 150 gr. core lokt at a muzzle velocity of 2600fps . Not the hottest load but most CONSISTENT..
My wife will carry the same load and gun this afternoon and tomorrow looking for a cow to add to the freezer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My sons have killed a couple elk with their 7mm08's using 160 Grand Slams. Two more with Remington 140 core lokt factory loads. All worked OK, but the Grand slams gave better penetration and held together better.
I use 160 Nosler Part in my 7x57's and like what I see with them too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife has taken two elk with a 7-08ai, one a little over 300 yds with a 140 gr TSX, second was around 400 yds with a 120 gr TTSX. MV was around 2940 fps with the 140, and around 3100 fps with the 120 gr bullet. Bullet performance was very good in both cases, good expansion and damage, neither was recovered.

Not exactly a large sample size, but I would be very confident with a TTSX of 120 or 140 gr out of a 7-08 on elk out to 400 or so yds.

Great cartridge choice by the way.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I saw a VERY large cow killed yesterday morning at 307 Yds with a 7mm-08 and a 120 Grn Ballistic tip.

In one side of the lungs and out the other with significant lung damage.

It wouldn't have been my first choice for elk, but the hunter did his job and I was very impressed with the results.

Last edited by jmgraham1986; 11/26/16.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Billy_Goat: Go with the proven Elk killing bullet - the Nosler 160 grain Partitions.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
With calibers that are a little light, there is only one option (IMHO): Barnes. Partitions are good and I've used them a lot, but they exit 50% lighter. Barnes are the same weight coming out that they are going in and penetration is superior to anything else out there. You won't go wrong.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by beartrack
With calibers that are a little light, there is only one option (IMHO): Barnes. Partitions are good and I've used them a lot, but they exit 50% lighter. Barnes are the same weight coming out that they are going in and penetration is superior to anything else out there. You won't go wrong.
So what,dead is dead.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm sure this will start a pissing match, but elk are not as bullet proof and hard to kill as many would like to make it.

Watched a cow take one long jump and fall over dead after being hit with a .243 a week ago.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I saw a VERY large cow killed yesterday morning at 307 Yds with a 7mm-08 and a 120 Grn Ballistic tip.

In one side of the lungs and out the other with significant lung damage.

It wouldn't have been my first choice for elk, but the hunter did his job and I was very impressed with the results.

Great elk combo! been using it for awhile now.

Kent

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM
I'm sure this will start a pissing match, but elk are not as bullet proof and hard to kill as many would like to make it.

Watched a cow take one long jump and fall over dead after being hit with a .243 a week ago.

Hit well they die easy. Also if they are unaware.

But hit them at all wrong or spook them, they load up with adrenalin and become pretty tough. Like shooting a truck tire sometimes.

At least that's what Ive seen. Nothing is bullet proof really.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM

Hit well they die easy. Also if they are unaware.

But hit them at all wrong or spook them, they load up with adrenalin and become pretty tough. Like shooting a truck tire sometimes.

At least that's what Ive seen. Nothing is bullet proof really.

I would agree with all that.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I would agree with all that.

+1

Lefty C

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Like people, every animal is different. But make no mistake elk and moose are NOT like deer. I'm sure no one on this site has ever lost an animal because of a bonehead shot, but there are many who have (and I've had the bad luck of having to help track many of them). "Dead is dead," but I subscribe to Elmer Keith's philosophy that there's never been an animal that has been "over-killed," because there's been a lot that weren't killed at all because folks were under-gunned or wrong bullet for the job.

I've killed far more Canadian moose than elk, but my personal experience causes me to believe that elk are tougher than moose. I've watched a large cow elk double lunged by a 7mm Mag 160 SGK. The bullet completely came apart and she ran up a hill headed for the next state (lucky follow up is the only thing that stopped her). I've watched a fool blow up a 7mm 120 NBT on a moose's rib. I've had to track bad hits on elk from .338 and seen a too close, heavy bull elk lost to what should have been a killing shot from a .270 with cup & core factory bullets. Yet, my mother-in-law used to kill a moose on her place in Telegraph Creek almost every year with a .250 Savage.

The question isn't what CAN kill an elk (that would be a .22 RF). The question is what is going to reliably kill. If you are willing to pass up poor shots, a .243 is fine. Because my mother-in-law had migrating moose going past her house every day in the fall, she could choose the perfect shot. Yet, are you going to pass up that quartering shot on a 370 bull at the edge of your range? Do you want to have to?

After using most big game bullet out there (including partitions, which are a fine bullet)from New Mexico to the Yukon border, when I was in BC, I started using Barnes exclusively on BIG animals for the penetration and weigh retention. I favor two holes that bleed over one; more penetration also means more internal damage. I had the confidence that no matter how big the bull, I could make a kill shot at any angle as far out as I was capable of making the shot. Did I always need to? No, only once, but I was glad that I had a bullet I could shoot lengthwise through a bull moose.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like people, every animal is different. But make no mistake elk and moose are NOT like deer. I'm sure no one on this site has ever lost an animal because of a bonehead shot, but there are many who have (and I've had the bad luck of having to help track many of them). "Dead is dead," but I subscribe to Elmer Keith's philosophy that there's never been an animal that has been "over-killed," because there's been a lot that weren't killed at all because folks were under-gunned or wrong bullet for the job.

I've killed far more Canadian moose than elk, but my personal experience causes me to believe that elk are tougher than moose. I've watched a large cow elk double lunged by a 7mm Mag 160 SGK. The bullet completely came apart and she ran up a hill headed for the next state (lucky follow up is the only thing that stopped her). I've watched a fool blow up a 7mm 120 NBT on a moose's rib. I've had to track bad hits on elk from .338 and seen a too close, heavy bull elk lost to what should have been a killing shot from a .270 with cup & core factory bullets. Yet, my mother-in-law used to kill a moose on her place in Telegraph Creek almost every year with a .250 Savage.

The question isn't what CAN kill an elk (that would be a .22 RF). The question is what is going to reliably kill. If you are willing to pass up poor shots, a .243 is fine. Because my mother-in-law had migrating moose going past her house every day in the fall, she could choose the perfect shot. Yet, are you going to pass up that quartering shot on a 370 bull at the edge of your range? Do you want to have to?

After using most big game bullet out there (including partitions, which are a fine bullet)from New Mexico to the Yukon border, when I was in BC, I started using Barnes exclusively on BIG animals for the penetration and weigh retention. I favor two holes that bleed over one; more penetration also means more internal damage. I had the confidence that no matter how big the bull, I could make a kill shot at any angle as far out as I was capable of making the shot. Did I always need to? No, only once, but I was glad that I had a bullet I could shoot lengthwise through a bull moose.

Well said. I never saw a problem with hedging bets by using something that penetrated and expanded more reliably than a standard C&C.

All bullets are not the same once they hit stuff.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Well said. Reminds me of what Bob Hagel wrote on the subject, which is still relevant today. I will note that you said "on BIG animals". I have shot a total of 5 moose, 4 with partitions and one with a C&C bullet. There was a world of difference in penetration, not surprisingly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Well said. I never saw a problem with hedging bets by using something that penetrated and expanded more reliably than a standard C&C.

All bullets are not the same once they hit stuff.

Indeed, well said.

I have a 243 that has now accounted for 14 elk--all of them with a 100gr NPt. My son has been using that rifle for the last 5 years.

This year he made a poor hit on a heavily quartering away mature cow. The bullet entered the front of the hind quarter, passed into the flank, drove through the guts, clipping the liver and drilling a lung. Found the bullet up against the offside front quarter. That bullet traversed through about 3/4 of a 500 lb elk. And it's a good example how a premium bullet can make a difference with a less than ideal hit.

These days it's all in the bullet.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is always amazing to me the direction that some of these threads take. The OP was looking for input on the 7-08 and bullets for elk. Mono performance at 7mag, 7 rum etc, etc. are of no consequence to what he asked for.

Monos perform flawlessly at high velocity, but CAN become problematic at lower velocity and longer range. Also, how they perform on deer is not a big deal either. He asked about elk.

The reason that the Abs and Parts are so recommended, is that they perform at a wide range of velocity. The Partition shines in a moderate-velocity round, as the front part expands very easily. The Ab is much the same. The Interlock is also very good at moderate velocity.

The 120-grain monos would be a fair choice, I believe, because you have plenty of velocity to utilize, but my choice would still be an AB or Part 140-grain at around 2800.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is always amazing to me the direction that some of these threads take. The OP was looking for input on the 7-08 and bullets for elk. Mono performance at 7mag, 7 rum etc, etc. are of no consequence to what he asked for.

+1!

I think most people mean well, but just can't help but pipe in, whether or not they are of any help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Mono performance at 7mag, 7 rum etc, etc. are of no consequence to what he asked for....

Well not entirely, as long as people supply enough useful information like MV and Impact vel. for the type of bullet,
e.g.; someone takes their animal at 350yd with a 7mm mag, its very close to same impact velocity for 7mm/08 at 150yd.
so a person can sensibly reckon from there.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by 280shooter

Pics and load data please.

P

Sorry that I missed this.
7-08 49.5 grains H414 @3124
.280 61 grains H4831 @3198

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[/quote]

.280 61 grains H4831 @3198[/quote]

This shows one of the things I love about the 7-08...it's efficiency.

Thanks for the data, 280

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Whatever BuzzH and Brad shoot.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NTG
[/quote]

.280 61 grains H4831 @3198

This shows one of the things I love about the 7-08...it's efficiency.

Thanks for the data, 280[/quote]

thats what I love about it too. all that extra powder, action length, gun weight, and recoil.... for ~70fps in this example? smile

for me, the 7-08 has just been a boringly accurate killer. mild recoil makes it easy to shoot, and it's a real tack driver for a hunting rifle.

and FWIW, as the Original Poster...... I plan to work on loads with 150gr Accubonds and Partitions. Failing that, I wont feel significantly hampered with the 150 GK's that shoot so well already.

THANKS ALL!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm looking for 150 ELD-X bullets. .574 BC is a huge improvement over .434.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
P

My experience is, inside 600 yards, it really won't matter. More important than BC is a bullet that shoots well and hangs together.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
P

My experience is, inside 600 yards, it really won't matter. More important than BC is a bullet that shoots well and hangs together.

I won't sacrifice accuracy for anything.

Implicit in my research is accuracy and performance.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
P

I won't sacrifice accuracy for anything.

Implicit in my research is accuracy and performance.

P

I think that's everyone's objective.

Brad's advice is worth taking into consideration.

Reading BC numbers and shooting groups at distance is the easy stuff that anyone can do.

But learning bullet performance on live animals can be learned only one way....by shooting lots of animals under different conditions and at different distances.

Unfortunately neither BC numbers nor fancy groups tell you anything about how a given bullet will perform on BG animals. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know the Partition kills mule deer right now at 541 + yards. I've done it twice. If I can get comparable accuracy with better downrange velocity, why not?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Hornady 139gr Interbond on deer and elk. It works well and I've never lost one. I too don't believe you need a mono bullet for any animal with a 7mm08. I do like the little extra insurance of a bonded bullet though. I probably don't need it but it makes me feel better. I think the 154gr Interlock would be a good choice.

I will say, DO NOT use Hornady's SST. They are too [bleep] IME.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
No elk, but I have killed a lot of hogs with the 140 gr Partition load from Federal out of the 7-08. Well north of a hundred. I can remember one in particular that was about a 150 pound pig running dead away from me at night. Someone held the spotlight on him and I plugged it straight up in the classic Texas heart shot. Did not exit, but that pig did not take another step. Was a 125 or so yard shot. I have always been satisfied with the penetration of the partition on hogs out of the 7-08.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About 22 years ago I had a 7X57 I made myself in Rigby style. I used the 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I never had any complaints at all. Everything I shot died with one shot, and nothing went any father than about 15 yards after it was shot.

The 7-08 is about the same speed as the 7X57 bullet for bullet, so I would recommend the 160 gr Nosler Partition without hesitation.

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
amax

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm new to the 7MM-08; but I bought a Compact Ruger American for Elk this year -- used a 7MM Mag for several decades.

I was going to try the 140 grain Accu-Bond but it's considerably longer than the Partition and case space is limited. I'm using a max load of Big Game and it's quite compressed even with the Partition seated as far out as possible.

I had to have the Ruger re-barrelled right before Elk season and have only run 20 rounds of 140 Partitions thru the new barrel. Groups are good. Velocity with the 18 inch barrel is 2780 fps.

I've killed pretty much every big game animal that I've shot with a Partition including Elk, White Tail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep and Caribou (most with a 6mm-06). I don't like mono bullets in slower calibers and don't see ultra high BC as an advantage with this cartridge.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 12/29/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
140 NAB

What I use out of my 7-08 Mtn Rifle. No issues to date.

Last edited by 1Nut; 12/29/16.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
S
62 grain 22-250 is all you need if you put the bullet between the ribs! Lol

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Shawn2571
62 grain 22-250 is all you need if you put the bullet between the ribs! Lol

That will get you arrested in this state. The regulations require a minimum 6mm bullet diameter for elk, sheep, and goats. .22 CFs are ok for deer, bear, and cougar.

Back to the original question, my 7mm-08s have done pretty well with the 140 partition and a friend says the 140 accubond worked well on elk for his family. I would shoot elk with them but I'd prefer 150s or 160s if the gun is accurate with them.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I posted this elsewhere a while back. Don't overthink stuff. She will be bull hunting this year with same rifle and load. I'm not betting against her...

Originally Posted by GregW
Here's a few recent E-tip successes by my wife from her 7-8 and 140's at a very pedestrian 2,680 MV....

Coues Deer - About 330 yards. Never left its bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cow elk - 240 yards. 20 yard death dash.
[Linked Image]
Exit
[Linked Image]

Another cow elk - About 350 if I recall. Bang, slide down a big ravine dead.
[Linked Image]

Javelina - straight down. 220 yards.
[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That’s good stuff right there Greg....

I killed a bull at 65 yards with a 7/08 and a 140 Federal Premium TTSX factory load. Like Greg’s better half (by a mile)... muzzle velocity was sub 2700. Broke both scapulas and exited.... bull went about 25-30 yards. Not much I wouldn’t shoot with that bullet.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Like Greg’s better half (by a mile)

Easy now Dog.....grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve taken about fifteen head of game with the TSX/TTSX’s and have only caught these three. The one I would have liked to see though was the one that killed a whitetail, broadside at five hundred yards as it left a pencil-like exit wound. It is the one that makes me very aware of bullet weight and velocity at the POI for adequate expansion.

Otherwise, I’ve found performance very good coupled with excellent accuracy.

The first was a 140, .284 started at 3050 fps and took a large mule deer (about 250-275 lbs) front-on at about a 100 yds. This bullet was found next to the scrotum which amounted to some four feet of penetration.

The second was a 270, 375 started at about 2700 fps and took a large zebra broadside at about a 100 yds again.

The third and went through a waterbuck side-ways after being turned by a unseen “pinkie-sized” twig about 15 yards in front of the
animal.

With these bulletes, I consider what Barnes advises as minimal velocity for expansion as I anticipate both velocity and range I might take my shot at.

Click the pick for a better view.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In the 7-08 I might Consider going lighter than the 140 in the TTSX lineup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

In the 7-08 I might Consider going lighter than the 140 in the TTSX lineup.

Yes! The 120s from a 7-08 are wicked killers of deer and elk.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by szihn
About 22 years ago I had a 7X57 I made myself in Rigby style. I used the 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I never had any complaints at all. Everything I shot died with one shot, and nothing went any father than about 15 yards after it was shot.

The 7-08 is about the same speed as the 7X57 bullet for bullet, so I would recommend the 160 gr Nosler Partition without hesitation.

Not trying to hijack, but what load and what velocity did you use for that 160PT in your 7x57? I too have a 7x57 and from what I can read the 7mm/08 loads will work in 7x57 ( I have Mod 70 FWT) in a modern action? For either cartridge, I wonder if the 168 ABLR around 2650 or so wouldn't work well on elk/big hogs too?

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/02/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not trying to hijack, but what load and what velocity did you use for that 160PT in your 7x57? I too have a 7x57 and from what I can read the 7mm/08 loads will work in 7x57 ( I have Mod 70 FWT) in a modern action?

Generally speaking, while using H-4350, my 7X57 loads average 2 grains more powder than in the 7-08 for like bullets.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What speeds with what bullets you using Kev?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only one I know off the top of my head is with 145 grn Speer Grandslams.
7mm-08 = 48 grn of H-4350 - 2,820 fps from my 22 inch Montana.
7X57 = 50gnr of H-4350 - 2850fps - 22 inch Mnt Rifle.

The 7X57 had a long throat.

Last edited by Teeder; 05/03/18.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

587 members (22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,632
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.