Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11477269 10/03/16
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Looking at a Older bulldog in 44 special, 3 inch barrel, seems to be in Good shape, smooth trigger, with Pachmayer Grips, asking $315.00 is that a good deal on one? dont realy care for the newer ones.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would buy it for $250 if it was in decent shape, maybe $275.00

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by saddlering
Looking at a Older bulldog in 44 special, 3 inch barrel, seems to be in Good shape, smooth trigger, with Pachmayer Grips, asking $315.00 is that a good deal on one? dont realy care for the newer ones.
I'd jump on it. The older ones in nice shape are hard to come by, and pretty nice guns, particularly considering their caliber, weight, and compactness. Very unique in the gun world. The new ones aren't nearly as nice, and they aren't making any more of the old type.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If I ran into one today it would be mine, at that price. Would I try to do better? You bet. But I wouldn't walk away. It's a fair deal. If you want one, don't quibble.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Kinda what I fig. they were asking $330.00 for it got them down to $315.00 put it in Lay A Way Iv not seen one in a long time, and this one seems Nice! Thanks

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have one similar...but from our 'friends' from Brazil...

my 2" ported Taurus 44S....alloy frame..SS cylinder

bought it 17 years ago....carry alot...shoot some.....

run 7/Unique with 200 gr Horny XTP..been a good one...

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had one in 1977, it keyholed bullets at 10 yards, still $250 would be a good price for a belly gun.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I had one in 1977, it keyholed bullets at 10 yards
Mine from the early 1980s could group pretty well out to two hundred yards.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry I would have to see that to believe it. A bulldog shooting 200 yards is kind of funny. Keyholing lead bullets at 10 yards is more believable. Just to hold the thing and shoot it was like a firecracker going off in your hands...yep 200 yard groups..kind of internety...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one for my first wife sometime in the mid-1970s. She shot it enough to remain proficient with it, shooting only factory ammo. Never saw it keyhole with anything we tried in it. She had a problem with the ejector star sometime in the mid-1990s and I sent it back to Charter Arms for her. Got it back like new with a much better D/A trigger. A few years ago, she sold it to my grandson for his wife who carries it and shoots it regularly, and I haven't heard of any problems with it. I think it's a fair price--not a bargain, but a fair price.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got mine at a pawnshop a couple of summers ago. He went down from $330 to $315 and threw in the box of WW loads you see there. Also came with a UM cordura holster.

Was a little gritty but just needed to be cleaned up. I stoned the trigger and other moving parts and it has a really good SA pull and a decent, albeit fairly heavy, DA pull.

When I carry/carried it I keep it fed with 200 gr GD at about 850. Pleasant to shoot and damn near perfect size for a .44 SPL. My buddy liked it so much he bought a new one. Excellent quality, slightly better DA and just as crisp and clean SA as mine right out of the box. Great, reliable little wheels.

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned a bunch of them over the years. I'd buy at that price on a nice condition older model. They were the best, IMO.

I've now got one of the new stainless models with the 3" barrel, and I've been very pleased with it too. Mine is my go to arrowhead hunting gun at the Ranch in the summer time. I load the first round with the Speer / CCI .44 shotshells for snakes and the other 4 cylinders with the Speer Blazer 200 grain Gold Dot HP load. They work well on small hogs & skunks.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My current 44 special is a Charter like Mojo is showing. I've had a couple and this one started with a descent D/A trigger that I can live with. I'm going to buy some of those 200 grain Blazers. They look pretty tough.

Check out the Taurus 431. Those are nice and a little stronger gun. 3" barrel, fixed sights, I have a blue one and just bought a stainless one and waiting for that.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The one im getting is a blued pistol, Im guessing at 3" barrel. Just seemed to fit my hand well, I realy didnt want to get another pistol at this time, as I just got my LCR 327, been carrying that one a bunch, guess the Bulldog was calling to me, sometimes a Good thing!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it's good enough for David Berkowitz....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Not a bad price for an older gun but look at one thing carefully before you buy it.

Check the forcing cone area of the barrel shank where it screws through the frame. Many of them have a flat spot that is pretty easy to see at the 6:00 o'clock position...if you get one of those they turn bullets sideways at 10 yards...

And have you looked at the new ones that look just like the originals...not the stainless ones with the full underlug barrel.. CA now has the originals available...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sorry I would have to see that to believe it. A bulldog shooting 200 yards is kind of funny. Keyholing lead bullets at 10 yards is more believable. Just to hold the thing and shoot it was like a firecracker going off in your hands...yep 200 yard groups..kind of internety...
Me and an old retired deputy (then working as a range officer) both had one. We used to attract attention by setting up clay birds on the 200 yard hill and see who would be the first to break it. It didn't ever take more than a few tries, and no shot was more than a few inches off.

His demonstrating this feat with his .44 Bulldog was the reason I bought mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amazing what you can do with a heavy caliber iron sight handgun if you have a big dusty field to shoot over and grew up reading Elmer Keith.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If it's good enough for David Berkowitz....

I was thinking "Son of Sam" too. I always make that association every time I see a Bulldog - not that it would stop me from owning one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife inherited her dad's old blued Bulldog. So far it's reasonably accurate, seems for and finished fairly well and make a a nice big bore packing gun. My only complaint is the factory wood grips are a little things for my big hands so newer grips are definitely in order.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.