Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The book is closed on this chapter. The Nevadas are working perfect for me and I've confidence in them for the backpack hunt. No hot spots, rubs, or pressure points, none. Very comfortable with good ankle support. The midsole seems to be the perfect balance. We'll know more after the hunt.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How was the hunt? Any comments on the boots?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
POST HUNT UPDATE.

There's at least another chapter in this book.

After several days the hunt took a turn from the high very rocky backcountry to the rolling front country so I was able to get an idea of how the Nevada's performed in both situations.

NEVADA PRO'S:

In both terrains; plush, no blisters, hot spots, etc., nor was there ever a concern.

Very comfortable, never once did I get the urge to pull the boots off to rest my feet, even at night with a pair of Crocs in tow.

Perfect boot for the less rocky rolling front country, or steep, less rocky terrain.

NEVADA CON:

In the rocky backcountry I wanted more midsole. The Nevada's did not instill nearly the same rock pounding confidence that the old Kenetrek's offered last year in the same terrain. This might actually be a blessing in disguise. With the Hardscrabbles I was much more bullish. In the Nevadas I had to be much more ginger and calculated. Also, after a day of pounding rocks, the balls of my feet were a little sore.

HARDSCRABBLE UPDATE:

A stop by Sportman's in Tuscon alerted me to the fact that Hardscrabbles have been updated and I have the old version. I don't know how many years ago this occured. I understand the heel box was the major change. I tried on the new Hardscrabbles. WOW! Right out of the box there is less slippage than my old pair with 100's of miles on them, and the new pair I tried on was actually a half size larger than my old pair. Hardscrabbles are exponentially more stiff all the way around. I did not notice the difference until going back to them after many miles in the Nevada, or the new Hardscrabbles are more stiff than the old (which reminds me that I need to strap on the old pair this afternoon). I immediately felt like pounding rocks. LOL. That said, they did not feel near as plush as the Nevadas. Unlike the Nevada, you can bet I'd be ripping them off after a long day's hunt.

I have taken advantage of the post thankgiving sales and ordered Hardscrabbles at 25% off. Cant wait to see if the heel works out better on the updated design. Initial indications are that they will definitley be better than the old.

Edited:

I just spent a little time in the old Hardscrabbles. They are not nearly as stiff as the new ones I tried on. I know break-in has a lot to do with it but the difference is so vast I suspect the new version is more stiff? Also, right off the bat this afternoon, I noticed the old ones digging into my heel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clint, are you using aftermarket insoles in the Crispi's? Sounds like they are a good fit and you like them.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Clint, are you using aftermarket insoles in the Crispi's? Sounds like they are a good fit and you like them.

Insoles are Copper Superfeet (low profile/arch, high volume).

Correct, good fit and I like them. The one tweek made is that the toe box is super roomy. The width was perfect but there is slop on the top of the foot in the area where a slip on boot would be ultra tight before break in. A tight pull of the laces and a surgeons knot three eyes up solved it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Brad
You don't need heavy, stiff boots to backpack... in fact, you're diminishing your enjoyment.

This. Two seasons back I shelved the heavy-duty boots and started wearing Keen Targhee II ankle-height hikers. Haven't had a blister since. My hunting partners who still wear the stiff & heavy boots have constant problems, though. I'll never go back.

RLTW
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.