Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got a small hole in my big tractor fuel tank.

Was shredding some rattle bushes, and one of the stalks squeezed through the metal plate on the bottom of the tank... mad

What's the easiest way to fix the leak?

I hate to take the tank off, and fix it that way until my work is done this fall. Just looking for a way to keep going until I can fix it right...

In case you are wondering, rattle bushes... http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/sesbaniadrum.htm

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That blue and white strip of muck you kneed together till it is green then force into the hole, you it buy at service stations.

Sets like rock.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
sheetmetal screw

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
second on the sheet metal screw with neoprene washer not rubber, diesel fuel esp. damn bio stuff will ruin rubber pretty quick!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Checking out the rate it's leaking now. Parked the tractor and put a coffee can under the leak to gauge that.

It still has the broken off wood in the tank, and doesn't appear to be leaking much. Probably will just wait until I get through with all my projects and fix it right this winter.

One thing is becoming more clear though... I probably need to fabricate some skid plates for under the tractor. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is yours poly or metal??? was a common prob with poly ones on new holland that hung low on the side always something wedging in there between frame and tank, course working for state no one really gave a $hit

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's poly.

Tank has a skid plate of sorts under the bottom, and about 2 inches around the bottom on the front. But, it's not a solid unit. Stick came right in between the skid plates at the bottom.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. I'll bet my skid plates work a tad better.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd use a screw, a flat washer, and JB Weld or RTV sealant.
I've used RTV to stop leaks around some fuel line fittings on my diesel MF 175.

On a plastic tank you could also use fiberglass tape and resin or epoxy without a screw

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barry, rig up your shop vac so's to pull a vacuum in the tank (in other words, plug any vents) Duct tape, Saran Wrap, whatever.

THAN do your drilling and fit your sheet metal screw / plug.
You'll note that their will be little if any tendency for the plug to "weep".

Leave the vacuum on and CLEAN the repair area with acetone / MEK. Devcon Plastic Welder would be my first choice ,....BUT it doesn't always stick to every plastic,....ABS in particular.

Try the vacuum stunt next time you have to disconnect / change out a hose from a large tank or sump, and draining is just not an option.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Greg! Good info!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's a poly tank, even if cross linked, you can repair it with a poly welder. I inadvertently ran a saw into the fuel tank on my boat and repaired it with a poly welder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting off subject a little but still about fuel tanks. I have an old rectangle diesel tank that holds 100 gal, that is in 2 compartments. I would like to weld some hooks or something to make it easy to load in and out of the truck when full, using my front end loader. What would be the safe way to accomplish this task. I have been putting chains around and under the bottom, but this is a hassle, and I would like to make things easier. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drain all the diesel then fill the tank with water and weld it while full of water.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, kinda what I thought, but have little experience with this kind of stuff. Never had a welder before and still learning. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a self-tapping screw and you won't need to drill a hole first. Just coat the screw with epoxy and screw it in.

I'd also siphon out all the fuel I could and strain out any debris.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snyper
Use a self-tapping screw and you won't need to drill a hole first. Just coat the screw with epoxy and screw it in.

^^^^^ Bad advice.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Snyper

^^^^^ Bad advice.

GTC

I would never even consider taking the advice of a liberal anyway... whistle

grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Without a pilot hole, it's more than likely that down line one will find stress cracks radiating outward from around the liberal's suggested FUBAR.

I think the one he wrote about scopes not needing to be level was the prime classic though. Perhaps he wrote that for his MM degree thesis.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Without a pilot hole, it's more than likely that down line one will find stress cracks radiating outward from around the liberal's suggested FUBAR.

I think the one he wrote about scopes not needing to be level was the prime classic though. Perhaps he wrote that for his MM degree thesis.

Yep.

I think I'm dealing with a crack rather than a hole now. The stick wedged itself between the skidplate and the tank causing a very small crack. Not leaking a cup full a day.

I'll wait until winter and my busy season is over, and fix it right.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Find out what the formula is, and chase down a good plastic welding outfit that's familiar with the material.

...some conservative advice from SE Az

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Thankee, Kindly!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlie Sisk once said someone repaired a leaking radiator in a tractor with Accraglass...

Be curious if it would work on a poly tank and likely, you have some around....

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poly's slick stuff. There may be some epoxies that stick to it, but you're much better off using a welder. I got a basic welder with fillers from Urethane Supply company. I've used it for repairing a fuel tank, body parts on a snowmobile and fenders on my boat trailer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Poly's slick stuff. There may be some epoxies that stick to it, but you're much better off using a welder. I got a basic welder with fillers from Urethane Supply company. I've used it for repairing a fuel tank, body parts on a snowmobile and fenders on my boat trailer.

Agree 110 %

Some of the potable water tanks are joined with ultrasonic welding and to date have defeated my every effort to get a sound, long lived repair,...NOTHING will stick to em'. Robbing a non critical part, and hot knifing a patch has worked a time or two.

I do think the fuel tanks are a little more forgiving , but you need one of the classic "Hi-Solv" plastic welders that will get an "Etch" right off the bat,...the stuff they "Ban" in Kalifornicatia.

Watch the fumes, or lose brain and liver function.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A "self-tapping screw" drills it's own pilot hole.

You should stick to things you know about, like drinking and acting like an ass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To SMALL a pilot hole,...for some densities of plastic,....and WILL cause radial stress cracks.

Folks, don't mistake plastic for sheet metal, they have pretty unique and individual mechanical characteristics and properties.

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cross, don't ask him how to fix a crack in cast iron. I bet it doesn't start with drilling a hole

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blanket
Cross, don't ask him how to fix a crack in cast iron. I bet it doesn't start with drilling a hole

You'd lose that bet.

Some want to nitpick over the size of a hole by acting like a big A-hole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2500 gallon plastic tank on my water truck. It cracked in a couple places near the top. Got one of those plastic welding kits with the plastic rod. Drilled a hole at each end of the crack and welded it up per the instructions. Didn't work worth a schidt. Crack opened up again. Wouldn't recommend that solution to anyone except a liberal!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the plastic is degraded due to UV exposure the welding isn't going to be a solution. Just like a rusted out steel tank can't be made right by burning rods.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 45_100
I have a 2500 gallon plastic tank on my water truck. It cracked in a couple places near the top. Got one of those plastic welding kits with the plastic rod. Drilled a hole at each end of the crack and welded it up per the instructions. Didn't work worth a schidt. Crack opened up again. Wouldn't recommend that solution to anyone except a liberal!

Don, did you ever get that thing patched ?

Got some stuff here that sticks like the proverbial schidt to a blanket,...and most ANY plastic,...until I tried patching the potable water tank out of a gal friends live aboard slant.

I did come up with a method of patching it,...but gonna keep it under my old beat up hat.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never did get the tank fixed. I just don't fill it up all the way.
The cracks could be from UV. We have some of that here in Arizona but they started less than a year after I got it. Have a feeling it is due to the way I strapped it down to the bed of the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That tank is likely hdpe. Look into fusion for hdpe. It bonds around 400*f. If using a plastic welder on plastic that can "heat sink" due to its mass, throw some heat at it before the weld.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As of now the problem solved itself.

Not leaking anymore. I suspect that the wood causing the small leak had sealed the hole to the point it's not even dripping.

I'll leave it be until it gets my attention again.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Barry, rig up your shop vac so's to pull a vacuum in the tank (in other words, plug any vents) Duct tape, Saran Wrap, whatever.

Leave the vacuum on and CLEAN the repair area with acetone / MEK. Devcon Plastic Welder would be my first choice ,....BUT it doesn't always stick to every plastic,....ABS in particular.

Try the vacuum stunt next time you have to disconnect / change out a hose from a large tank or sump, and draining is just not an option.

GTC
Shop vac and gasoline is a deadly combination....unless they make an intrincly safe shop vac....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just had to check

http://www.tiger-vac.com/index.php/...f-and-g-combustibleconductive-dusts.html

Sure enough, there are vacuums for classified areas. I would hate to know how much they cost shocked

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

GTC
Shop vac and gasoline is a deadly combination....unless they make an intrincly safe shop vac....

W A T E R,...I believe that's what the tank discussed contained ?

Diesel ?,...No problems , thus far ( but point taken)

Hydraulic Sumps ?,...I'll continue doing it with plain old shop vacs.

Thanks for pointing out the Gasoline hazard !

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plastic welder would get my vote. Those plastic tanks flex more than you'd think with varying amounts of fuel in them, and temp changes. Epoxies, unless they are equally supple,, would peel after a while.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fiber glass , pipe repair kit

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.