Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm looking for a compact spotter to take hunting on my back. I've pretty much narrowed my choices, because of weight and price down to either the Leupold or the Vortex. The Vortex is a little heavier and more expensive(very top of my $range), I have several Leupold rifle scopes and they have served me very well. But I have seen complaints about the Leupold focus adjustment on this scope.

If you own one or have owned one of these I would like your input.
What do you think are the pros and cons of these spotters?
If you had it to do over, would you purchase it again?

Tks,
claybreaker

Last edited by claybreaker; 10/04/16.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Have had both. Still have the vortex. Vortex wins going away. Great spotter for your stated purposes. Love mine.

Was spotting hits on steel at 600 this morning with it in fact.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
S
S
I recently purchased a Leupold 15-30 GR. I have no problem focusing it. You don't have to move the focus knob far but it works just fine. I don't know why others complain about it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the Leupold and for the price I paid - $250 used, it was a steal and it is light, rugged and packable certainly. It stays in my range bag and mounts on my trigger stick perfectly but optically doesn't really impress . I'd go for Leupold's next size up, the 12-40x60 if I started from scratch again looking for a packable scope. The Vortex will probably make you happier than my 15-30 but I'd suggest you at least look at the 12-40x60 and compare.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have the little Leupold and like it. no regrets.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I really appreciate the feedback. Its the kinda of stuff I'm looking for.

iddave - your post speaks loud & clear, Tks.

sambar - do you get a clear focus at max mag (30)?
I have a spotter that just doesn't seem to get great clarity at max.

Specneeds - great catch @250, I would be all over that deal. I think the next step up (12-40x60) is huge step up in dollars. Hey I just had thought, maybe you could pass your great deal on (to me) then you could upgrade...hahaha. Thanks for your post, I really need to stay in the $450 - $650 range.

Toad - tks - another happy Leupold user.

welcoming others.

Be Safe,

Last edited by claybreaker; 10/08/16.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Close call on those two.

I've had the opportunity to look through both in the field, although I don't know if they are the same glass/coatings as the most recent offerings.

Both have excellent warranties and CS (important when it comes to optics it seems).

The Razor has a bit better glass, resolution at the high end of magnification is better with the Razor. But I've become suspicious of Vortex's quality of build. Maybe it's because Vortex optics have become so popular, but my perception is I've seen a disproportionate anount of things go wrong with Vortex binos and spotters. Including my 80-something parents Diamondback and Viper binos--and they hardly use them........

The GR's focus knob was a little stiff, but not that it bothered me. I don't know how it would be in really cold weather. If it's anything like the Luepy Vari-X and VX 2-7's magnification ring, a shot of Triflow takes care of the stiff ring. The focus knob is on the left side and I kept wanting to use my right hand to focus. I'd rate the quality of view very good, just not quite the resolution at the higher magnification as the Razor.

The Nikon 50ED is a a clear step above in quality of view. Alas, despite Nikon's website claiming a "no fault" warranty, the few guys I've talked to, and what I have read on the internet, warranty service seems to be a bit hit and miss. Maybe Nikon is in the process of improving........

Even with the question of warranty, the ED50 is still tempting.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The Nikon 50ED is a a clear step above in quality of view. Alas, despite Nikon's website claiming a "no fault" warranty, the few guys I've talked to, and what I have read on the internet, warranty service seems to be a bit hit and miss. Maybe Nikon is in the process of improving........

Even with the question of warranty, the ED50 is still tempting.

Casey

Must be a fair amount of variability from unit to unit, because IME the Razor and ED50 are optically close, with the Razor edging out the Nikon by a bit. But that's a sample of only one Nikon.

S
S
sambar - do you get a clear focus at max mag (30)?
I have a spotter that just doesn't seem to get great clarity at max.

YES, FOCUS AT 30X IS CRYSTAL CLEAR.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had my my Leupy 15-30x50 for about a month, and love it! My use is only at 200 yards or less for viewing bullet holes on paper targets.

Compact, easy-to-use and very clear.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.