Print Thread
Hop To
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would you get it for the standard 20ga frame
or for the smaller 28ga frame?

Both are the 686/687, I don't understand the difference between the models and don't know which I have. I do know the 28ga is a small frame.

I have both and am pondering the pros and cons of which is best.

Thanks for the help.

AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 20 ga Beretta on a 20 ga frame and a 28 ga Beretta on a 28 ga frame.
I prefer the smaller frame of the 28ga.

NRA Patron
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dale,

I believe you are right, the more I think about it the more I think the small frame 28ga is correct choice for me.

Had been over thinking this about having the same gun with two different barrel sets, but I think I would rather ride with the smaller frame and another longer barrel set for it.

Thanks

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I believe the Beretta 20 gauge and 28 gauge frame are the same. Beretta has also offered 20 and 28 gauge barrel sets for the 12 gauge frame which is what I have. I prefer the heavier 12 gauge frame along with the lighter 20 gauge barrel sets.

I have not added a 28 gauge barrel set as Beretta has only offered the 28 gauge in 30 inch. I much prefer 32 inch barrels.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta has produced the 686/687 series 28 gauge shotguns on both the 20 gauge frame and the so-called "baby frame". I am in possession of four of these Beretta 28 gauges. Two are on the 20 gauge frame and two are on the baby frame. My 686 Black Onyx and a 686 Covey are on the 20 gauge frame. My 686 Silver Pigeon I and a 687 EL Gold Pigeon II Sporting 30" two barrel set (28 and 410) are baby frames.

I have difficulty determining which frames are which, unless I bring out the calipers and measure them. Oddly enough, while the baby frames are both narrower and shallower, the firing pin holes are the same distance apart on all of them! Personally, I find no difference between the two frames in shootability, any difference is minimal, IMHO. Others apparently feel differently. My favorite of the four is the 687 EL, but for reasons that have nothing to do with the frame size.

Doc, you are obviously a clay pigeon shooter! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks doc and mud,
in talking with Coles, my understanding is Beretta no longer offers 28ga barrels for the 20ga frame.

My research has also led me to the conclusion that I have the 686 model rather than the 687. My understanding being the difference being the finishes.

Good to know they "shoot" the same.

AJD

Last edited by AJD; 10/05/16.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ended up getting the 28ga set for the 20ga frame as it came with the forearm and iron. Came it yesterday, I have someone locally to fit it. Nice wood on the forearm. We'll see how it works out. I kinda like the idea of the same gun in the two different gauges.

Purchased the set from JEG. Nice folks to work with.

Thanks for the input.

AJD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like Cole can fix you up for a couple hundred if you have the tube

http://www.colegun.com/pages/gunsmithing-services

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudstud
Beretta has produced the 686/687 series 28 gauge shotguns on both the 20 gauge frame and the so-called "baby frame". I am in possession of four of these Beretta 28 gauges. Two are on the 20 gauge frame and two are on the baby frame. My 686 Black Onyx and a 686 Covey are on the 20 gauge frame. My 686 Silver Pigeon I and a 687 EL Gold Pigeon II Sporting 30" two barrel set (28 and 410) are baby frames.

I have difficulty determining which frames are which, unless I bring out the calipers and measure them. Oddly enough, while the baby frames are both narrower and shallower, the firing pin holes are the same distance apart on all of them! Personally, I find no difference between the two frames in shootability, any difference is minimal, IMHO. Others apparently feel differently. My favorite of the four is the 687 EL, but for reasons that have nothing to do with the frame size.

Doc, you are obviously a clay pigeon shooter! grin

How do you figure out which models are built on which frame?

I'd like to pick up a Beretta 28 on the smaller frame.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are looking to pick up a new shotgun, I believe all the currently manufactured 686/687 28 gauge shotguns are on the baby frame. Which would be the Silver Pigeon I, the Silver Pigeon III, the Silver Pigeon V, and the 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon.

If you find a nice used one, I can give up this from Beretta's Customer Service, dated 3/13/2007, and I quote:

"Which models are now built on the 28 gauge frame instead of the old 20 gauge frame?"

"As of 2005 the small 28/410 gauge frame is offered on the following models that are sold with 28 or 410 gauge barrels.

686 Silver Pigeon S (2005+ up models)
687 Silver Pigeon III (2005+ up models)
687 Silver Pigeon V (2004+ up models)
687 Gold Pigeon II EL (always on small frame)
687 Diamond Pigeon EELL (always on small frame)

The small frame can also be identified by measuring the overall height of the receiver (from top to bottom) in the area just in front of the top lever but behind the breech face. This measurement should be equal to 2 inches."

Another Beretta Customer Support FAQ also adds the 686 Covey to the list of baby frame 28 gauges. But, MY Covey is not a baby frame, but then there were two versions of the Covey, which may explain that discrepancy.

Notice that the Silver Pigeon I is not on that list of baby frames. That is because they weren't manufactured until 2011. They are all baby frames.

A note on the 2 inch measurement of the baby frames. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but my baby frames measure approximately 2.1" in that dimension, and my 28's on the 20 gauge frame measure about 2.2".

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks a bunch

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just don't know how you could tell the difference without measuring the two frames. I have the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 20 and 28 ga two barrel set and love it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
I just don't know how you could tell the difference without measuring the two frames. I have the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 20 and 28 ga two barrel set and love it.

It's the thought that counts haha

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.