Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am an admitted high fence bigot, paying for a guide or access is drastically different than a high fence put and take elk hunt. I've hunted pigs on a pay access ranch, Tejon, but it was 200,000 + acres and doesn't have a high fence. Since they have elk there that they charge up to $25K for i would guess the cowboys keep a close eye on them but can't keep them in if they really want to leave. The pig hunt had no guarantees and no captive breeding program that I'm aware of, although the mtn lion killing the ranch did years ago must have helped the numbers of pigs.

Back to analogies that Trump can't use anymore, dating the rich girl and buying expensive French or maybe Thai meals isn't the same as paying the lady of the evening .........that chance of failure is still very real no matter what dinner costs.

Paying outfitters and for taxidermy is fine with me, the wife of almost 30 years lets me hang a couple of elk and a pheasant in the front room and wants to go on safari one of these days.

Paying to hunt at a yellow tag in the ear high fence facility does seem a lot like a romantic transaction in a back alley to me.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Ok, wasnt going to pick on you anymore Jorge (or Pugs who is apparently staying out of it at this point. smile

I am simply looking on with slight amusement as useful discussion is had knowing that anything I write is unlikely to change anyone's mind.

In my opinion the world of hunting is a big place with room for all sorts but if I'm not mistaken some on this thread deriding our hunt were the same folks making fun of Paddler for his stand that grouse are only shot over a pointer (on Tuesday with a side by side 28 gauge but it must have double triggers and the pointer has to be a GSP or you're just a slob) grin

When we wrote up the story we were accurate with what we experienced. Clearly, others had other experiences and just as clearly some were offended by our great time.

For what it's worth I worked harder for this elk than I did for my Newfoundland Moose two years ago but Newfoundland is an island of 42,031 sq mi so I suppose it was a "high fence" too. Guess it just depends where one draws the line and that to me is a personal line.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by BWalker
And FWIW some of my most memorable hunts were ones where I came home empty handed.

You can say they were some of your most memorable hunts, but as far as hunting you failed if you were hunting with a legal tag. In psychology it might even be called "rationalizing".

For crying out loud - you never cease to amaze.
Refresh our memories - what was your nickname in HS?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
no sir, not at you, just one of the others

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Ok, wasnt going to pick on you anymore Jorge (or Pugs who is apparently staying out of it at this point. smile

I am simply looking on with slight amusement as useful discussion is had knowing that anything I write is unlikely to change anyone's mind.

In my opinion the world of hunting is a big place with room for all sorts but if I'm not mistaken some on this thread deriding our hunt were the same folks making fun of Paddler for his stand that grouse are only shot over a pointer (on Tuesday with a side by side 28 gauge but it must have double triggers and the pointer has to be a GSP or you're just a slob) grin

When we wrote up the story we were accurate with what we experienced. Clearly, others had other experiences and just as clearly some were offended by our great time.

For what it's worth I worked harder for this elk than I did for my Newfoundland Moose two years ago but Newfoundland is an island of 42,031 sq mi so I suppose it was a "high fence" too. Guess it just depends where one draws the line and that to me is a personal line.

Ergo my comment MABY posts ago. If any one of us here on this forum were to announce we walk on water, the usual suspects would chime in saying "yeah, that's because you can't swim.". Fouc them

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And FWIW some of my most memorable hunts were ones where I came home empty handed.

You can say they were some of your most memorable hunts, but as far as hunting you failed if you were hunting with a legal tag. In psychology it might even be called "rationalizing".

.. or maybe he simply enjoyed the hunt.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Plain and simple (yes this is a little tongue in cheek)

Some guys are all about the trophy, trophy car, trophy gun, trophy racks, and trophy wives.

Other guys are about becoming a skilled and responsible outdoorsman.

Now you can be both - but that's a fine line... and one typically wins out over the other.

You got me...on both counts... I'm very coordinated when it comes to walking (or flying)fine lines. In my old line of work it was sort of a job requirement for staying alive. Some, no many of you posited some very valid positions and then again some have not.

In the end, I'll stick to my SCOTUS and prostitute analogies, and of course my OWN personal opinion hunting by running down an animal with dogs until he is so exhausted he can't go on then blasting him out of a tree is not my view of hunting and of course, even worse are the 800 yard shooters. I am not saying it's unethical by any means, just not my idea of a hunt and to the usual suspects... DILIGAF? (rhetorical question).
Been on two bear hunts using dogs,there's more to it than that. Loved hearing the dogs chasing the bear,trying to determine which dog you are hearing,how far it is,which direction it's heading,is it a treed bark or still chasing bark. Then there was the "All American." An "All American" is when the scent is so hot/fresh all the dogs open up!
Maybe hard to believe,but one bear out distanced the dogs,we called him "The Runner" and according to the guide,that bear knew what was going on and beat feet out of there.

But,to each their own. wink smile

Exactly! BTW, used to be a partner in a hunting outfit in Maine called Bowlin camps. Mainly bear, but moose and deer as well. Well aware of the dog thing and witnessed it many times and I personally did not care for it,but others like it and that's fine by me.

PS: tTo the other poster, there were NO tags on these elk for chrissake!
Want to go again. I had fun!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alamosa

That is a different subject. Don't tell me an enjoyable hunt is the same as a successful hunt. I enjoy every hunt I go on. But many are unsuccessful. Otherwise I would not go out hunting again.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A big negative on that RM......big negative.

I've hunted my butt off for 9 days chasing big mule deer, and didn't kill anything. Those hunts are hardly failures in my book, but you often live in a different world than I do.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobmn
Smokepole: I don't think 201k was "crapping" on others who had a different experience at Broadmouth. I think he was just offering a different perspective. As a do it yourselfer on public land you can certainly appreciate the difference. The best analogy I can make is listening to bird hunters who describe their "hunt" in South Dakota at a pheasant ranch shooting pen raised birds that were released the morning just before the "hunters" stepped off the school bus that brought them to the field. If they have never chased wild pheasants through a cattail swamp they just do not know the difference.

Spot on...anyone who signs up for a guided high fence should be out for a party, a wall decoration for whatever.

No doubt there are two different groups of "hunters" in this conversation.

I will be hunting public land in SW MT on Sat. I expect to see a bunch of hunters ,,some elk,,lots of out of staters.

But I will be hunting elk ,,,not [bleep] around.. and I have a good chance to kill a bull...whatever bull

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

That is a different subject. Don't tell me an enjoyable hunt is the same as a successful hunt. I enjoy every hunt I go on. But many are unsuccessful. Otherwise I would not go out hunting again.

The only more in inconsistent person than you is running for president on the Democratic ticket. They should name a waffle for you at IHOP!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't tell me an enjoyable hunt is the same as a successful hunt.

Then you're doing it wrong. Are you, per chance, related to fireball? Or perhaps drink from the same well water?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pugs

IME moose are pretty easy to hunt. The fact your guide ran you all over heck doesn't mean it's not a canned hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I see.
So when it is you it is 'unsuccessful' when it is BWalker it is 'failed'.
That might be even be called "rationalizing".

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

A big negative on that RM......big negative.

I've hunted my butt off for 9 days chasing big mule deer, and didn't kill anything. Those hunts are hardly failures in my book, but you often live in a different world than I do.

If the objective was to get away from everyday life and have fun using the hunt as an excuse, I agree. If you take 9 days off to go hunt and don't kill something, it is a failure.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're now twice as wrong as you were in the first place.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Don't tell me an enjoyable hunt is the same as a successful hunt.

Then you're doing it wrong. Are you, per chance, related to fireball? Or perhaps drink from the same well water?

Words mean things. I guess you your objective while hunting is no to take a game animal. Mine is. Whether I get something or not I still enjoy the hunt, but I'm not silly enough to claim the hunt was successful.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I see.
So when it is you it is 'unsuccessful' when it is BWalker it is 'failed'.
That might be even be called "rationalizing".

Who is doing the hunting is irrelevant. When the objective is to kill something and you don' you failed or were unsuccessful. In this case the words are synonyms.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If the objective was to get away from everyday life and have fun using the hunt as an excuse, I agree. If you take 9 days off to go hunt and don't kill something, it is a failure.

You're an idiot

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I still think it's funny that some posters are saying other posters are crapping on some of the shooters that bought livestock at this place. Again this is a separate thread from the other thread. I haven't read the other thread so idk if anyone is crapping on that thread or not. But if the shooters want to come on this thread and defend the place then that's on them.

As for not being able to get closer then 300 yards without them running off, the cattle where I hunt are the same. They start running and spook the deer. It really pisses me off. But I'm not ignorant enough to call those cattle anything besides livestock just because they spook.

It's a shame how many people think a high fence shoot is the same as a hunt where the animals are wild. Glad I got to take my boy out this last weekend on an elk hunt where they are truly wild. I pray that he never feels that a high fence shoot is the same as a truly free range hunt.

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.