-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I trust the information provided by the guys who have a long history of posting here. They made it clear it's a high fence ranch.

Rulon Jones makes it clear in his advertising as well. I talked to Rulon about his place several years ago,he is totally honest.

Rulon stikes me a a typical western buisness guy with a LDS background.I have always got along well with these kind of folks. But like working men
anywhere,they want to make a profit and they don't like being jacked around.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
Good question. Did someone really kill a 490 bull2 there?

If the party is fully aware of the 490 taken before their arrival......doesn't it somewhat legitimize the OP's claim of attendance?

The number of bulls required to meet the yearly demand is a legitimate concern. Would be interesting to see how many 'shipments' are required during those operating months.

Not a rabid anti-high-fencer.....but we offer fair chase hunts right next to TimberGhost......and we opened our business first.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds to me like the guys that did their homework had a satisfactory hunt while the guy that didn't was disappointed.

Last edited by mudhen; 10/04/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mudhen
Sounds to me like the guys that did their homework had a satisfactory hunt while the guy that didn't was disappointed.

Or.....one person was a little more 'tuned-in-to' or 'aware-of' the actual operation, as it unfolded.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

Driving whitetails is customary here in Iowa, during the shotgun seasons.

Driving animals with high fences......can be perceived as a bit too reminiscent of herding.

320 shootable bulls in 5000 acres is 1 shooter bull per 15 acres.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do any of these elk qualify to enter into Boone and Crocket records?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
None of us fell of the sugar cane cart last night. Like I said... We went into this with eyes WIDE OPEN. We also knew that in order to maximize success, we would probably have to upgrade and we did. Some of you folks are SO FORTUNATE to live in great places like Montana, Idaho, NM, etc and more importantly, HAVE THE TIME to invest in a wilderness hunt. We do not.
Suffice to say and my friends have echoed, we worked our butts off going up and down terrain we are not accustomed to, not to mention the altitude, and in the end and most of all what matters to ME, I worked for my elk and a 330 yard shot is the same here as it is anywhere else, including the moon.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Do any of these elk qualify to enter into Boone and Crocket records?

Not if they were enclosed. Like Pope & Young, B&C has a fair chase requirement and enclosures are excluded from their definition of fair chase hunting.

SCI is different, from what I understand.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
None of us fell of the sugar cane cart last night. Like I said... We went into this with eyes WIDE OPEN.

No doubt, and I'll say it again, if you guys got what you wanted out of the hunt and enjoyed yourselves, you shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks, says, or writes. It's apparent that the OP has an axe to grind and wanted to crap on your posts about your hunt. You shouldn't let that (or anyone else) bother you since as you said, you went in knowing what you were getting.

.... a 330 yard shot is the same here as it is anywhere else, including the moon.

Here's where I'd disagree, with all due respect. Getting that shot where you hunted is not the same as it is anywhere. With most elk hunting, getting a shot at an elk like the one you killed is not something that a self-described flatlander with no elk-hunting experience, no knowledge of the hunting area, and no time to invest would get in the space of a day or two.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some of you folks are SO FORTUNATE to live in great places like Montana, Idaho, NM, etc and more importantly, HAVE THE TIME to invest in a wilderness hunt. We do not.

I live here in Iowa (am still working full time)....and managed two Wyoming archery hunts.....one Sept.3rd thru Sept.10th.....and the second Sept.17th thru Sept.24th.

We hunted the west side (Alpine), zone 89, with general tags. Hunted the Little Greys river area.

The area we hunted was 3.1 miles back (by the GPS). The least we walked in a day was 8.1 miles, the most was 11.6 miles.

Beautiful country........the second week the Aspens were doing their thing.

Didn't fill may tag, but experienced (3) 6 point bulls, a spiker, and 14 cows. The second week included a full moon, which seemed to affect things. A very nice 6 point winded me at 29 yards, brush made things not work out.

Took 2 of my sons on the first trip, my wife on the second.

Now, biting at the bit to get back out there for the rifle opener in a little over a week. Will take 2 sons on this adventure also.

It is a hoot, cannot get enough.

If we don't fill tags next trip, we'll likely do something over Thanksgiving......and zone 3 general cow season goes through Jan.31st.

Most would probably say I didn't really have the TIME to do it.

And, really no need for an UPGRADE. The general tags are perfect for my 'excuses' to get back out there.

The years we don't draw generals......the zone 7 cow tags are always a hoot.....during the archery season.

Not judging, just don't see a need for any upgrade.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was referring to putting "ordnance on target" given the yardage and incline. Math is math. As to what you are saying, I think I understand and agree.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think the 330 yard shot would actually be easier on the moon since there is no atmosphere and less gravity than here on earth

Last edited by riverdog; 10/05/16.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fact checkers.....have fun.

Originally Posted by riverdog
I think the 330 yard shot would actually be easier on the moon since there is no atmosphere or gravity

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess what I was trying to say is, with a nice bull like that, making the shot is not the hard part, getting the shot is.

The reason I bring that up is, it may explain the OP's motivation. People who hunt public land, (where most elk hunting is done) can hunt a long time and not get a shot at a bull like that. So there may be some envy involved.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No offense intended to any party involved, but bull elk deserve to be hunted in the wild. Running them up a fence line to a waiting hunter?

Might as well shoot someone's horses. It'd feel the same with regards to satisfaction level and thrill of the hunt.

Bull elk in the wild, at least the ones I've hunted, have frustrated me, driven me nuts, kept me awake at night, given me years of daydreams, wore me out chasing them, outsmarted me, out-walked me, out-hid me, snuck by me, got in my face and lived to do it another day, and generally mocked and laughed all the way to the other side of elk world getting away from me. They are tough, savvy to callers, super keen to human intrusion in their area, adept at disappearing on a single wiff of a human or a snapped twig. They will run circles around you, chuckle at you, then drift off like a ghost.

Nothing about this fence hunting sounds like elk hunting, except maybe you climbed some hills that flatlanders aren't used to. I'd be disappointed after having done the real thing. If I'd never done the real thing, maybe it'd be awesome.

LOL
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
smokepole ramblings:
People who hunt public land, (where most elk hunting is done) can hunt a long time and not get a shot at a bull like that. So there may be some envy involved.

Or NOT! Perhaps there are many folks who COULD afford such a hunt, but choose not to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess what I was trying to say is, with a nice bull like that, making the shot is not the hard part, getting the shot is.

The reason I bring that up is, it may explain the OP's motivation. People who hunt public land, (where most elk hunting is done) can hunt a long time and not get a shot at a bull like that. So there may be some envy involved.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt re: envy, but we just didn't walk up to this elk and whacked him, for me I had to work for it and no difference to the 350 yard shot I took in Africa (Dande North and of course NO fences)on a kudu bull, or the 200 plus yard on a deer here in Georgia (again no fences) . Like you said amigo, we enjoyed it!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
smokepole ramblings:
People who hunt public land, (where most elk hunting is done) can hunt a long time and not get a shot at a bull like that. So there may be some envy involved.

Or NOT! Perhaps there are many folks who COULD afford such a hunt, but choose not to.

Yes, and I'm one of them. I hunt public land, DIY.

But don't be an ass, and don't forget that not everyone hunts for the same reasons you do, or wants the same out of a hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
smokepole ramblings:

Evidently the OP COULD AND CHOSE to do so, otherwise why book there....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your statement is correct. smokepoles brush was broadening with his statement, however.

smokepole ramblings:

Evidently the OP COULD AND CHOSE to do so, otherwise why book there....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anyway, if you guys enjoyed yourselves why worry about what someone else has to say?

Nobody is really worried about a counter opinion. We shared our good time with all on the Campfire. The OP jumped on this and cut loose with both barrels, on TWO internet sites. His experience was so different to ours how can we not comment?

I respect a differing opinion. Hell, I don't work for them. A few things that just strike me strange. Why would an experienced PH feign illness to avoid taking a trophy? Why demand "your best guide"/ (nice to have!) , especially if you don't like high fence hunting.. Hell, an experienced PH should be superior to most seasonal guides. Why go nose to nose with the owner, when there were other avenues? It just strikes me strange givenwhat I experienced.

None of us doubt the OPs story, and based on his account I fully trust he was in camp the dates he states.

What would I have done knowing the people involved and the place involved? Instead of feigning illness, I would have talked to Jaden, Chase, or Rulon and just explain that my expectations were different from what they offered and that I was going to pass on taking a bull. With that, I feel confident that they would have done their best to meet me half way. Likely, they could have invited me to a free range hunt on the adjacent 30,000 acres when the season opened, or some other solution. From my observation, these guys work hard to get everyone a trophy. They sell their stuff, to be sure, but I sense they want a Win-Win for all. I'm good with that.

Again, I wish the OP had been there a few days later. Ours was a pleasnt hunt, and now a good memory. Glad we could share it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (22250rem, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.