Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bobmn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
On the Zimbabwe Leopard topic you wrote the following as an explanation as to why you failed to return my trophy fee for an unsuccessful buffalo hunt:
"bobmn, you passed up bulls the first few days, you failed to walk and moaned the entire time, you rolled over your trophy fee for 2 years and then failed to rebook, your inability to put in the miles and your lack of enthusiasm plus your quest for a certain size does not make my area bad nor does it make my PH inadequate!"
So as to not hijack 1Sheephunter1's thread I thought I would address the points you made in a new topic.
"you rolled over your trophy fee for 2 years and then failed to rebook"
On May 9, 2012 I emailed you: ". Could you please send me a check for $2378 which is what my refund should be from the buffalo trophy fee not used? Thanks. Bob" You ignored this request for refund and subsequent requests.
Regarding your other allegations, on February 21, 2012 I emailed you:
"Martin:
Following my phone call to you, your email to me requested that I address my concerns about the hunt you outfitted in August of 2011 in writing. Consequently, the following are my questions:
1. In a phone conversation with you in January 2011 my wife specifically requested to observe a lesson in a classroom and you stated that you would arrange for her to participate in a classroom. Why did you not inform her that this was impossible because August was a school holiday and no schools were open in Zimbabwe during August?
2. During that same conversation, you told her that tiger fishing would be available in camp while I was hunting. Upon arrival there was no fishing equipment until it was was fetched from another camp about midweek. The observers then fished for about 30 minutes the rest of the time in camp. During our stay at Big Cave Camp following our hunt, locals we meet that were staying at Big Cave informed us that “fishing on Lake Kariba is only available during months with R in them because of water temperature”. Why was so little effort put into observer fishing?
3. Why did Cathy have to pay for boat motor fuel when it was purchased from a local village because there was none in camp?
4. On 3 March 11 I asked you what camp we were hunting out of. On 7 March 11 you replied “Chifudze”. No correspondence was received from you changing our hunting camp and the first I was notified of the change to Elephant Point was when we were picked up by Scott at the dirt strip at Tiger Bay. Why was the camp changed to Elephant Point?
5. Who hunted out of Chifudze Camp from 10 August to 18 August the dates we were in Elephant Point?
6. How many buffalo were taken from Chifudze Camp 10 August to 18 August?
7. On 26 July 11 I requested contact information for the pilot and where and when we should meet him. On 4 August 11 Hayley sent “Oliver” with his phone number but no information as to where or when to meet him. Oliver was not the pilot and for the 3 days we were in Vic Falls trying to contact him that phone was never answered. Neither were the numerous emails and phone calls we made to your cell phone or office. Finally, less than 12 hours before our departure from Vic Falls you answered your mobile and told us to meet at the Vic Falls airport where an unspecified pilot (no name or contact info) would find us. Needless to say, this caused us a great deal of consternation during our stay at Vic Falls. Why was this simple request so difficult for you to fulfill?
8. My rifle did not arrive to Vic Falls on the flight we took from Jberg. We called and emailed you, your office, African Sky Guest House and Travel with Guns and left contact info for our mobiles and emails as well as the same contact info for Ilala Lodge. The only reply we ever got was from Steve from Travel with Guns who informed us that it would probably be on the next day’s flight. When you finally answered your cell, your first question was “Has your gun arrived” so it was obvious you had received our previous messages. Why did you not leave a message at the Ilala Lodge desk for us if you were unable to contact us on our cell phones?
9. How many times have you used Elephant Point Camp before it was used for our hunt?
10. On 6 June 11 you emailed that there was a 10 kg baggage weight limit for the Cessna 206 charter flight. On 26 July 11 Hayley emailed that the baggage limit was 15 kg per passenger. A Cessna 206 has a useful load of 1,765 lb. It holds 63 gallons of fuel and has a range of 650 statute miles (no turbocharger). With a full bag of gas, oil and 4 passengers and 1 pilot (1320 lb. total) that still leaves 445 lb for bags. The aircraft we flew in was turbocharged (better range) and had 30 gallons of fuel on board and it was a 2 hour flight from Vic Falls to Tiger bay. How did you arrive at a 15 kg (33 lb.) weight limit for bags?
11. Have you ever had a hunter show up in camp with only 33 lbs. of gear including rifle and ammo?
12. On the afternoon of day 3 the PH turned down a track because it ended at the national park and he was hopeful we would see a herd of buffalo that had wandered out of the park. At the end of the track we discovered Dennis with a Russian and his daughter baiting for Lion. The afternoon of day 4 we arrived in camp to find Mike with a Russian’s traveling wife. He told us of a valley where he had seen some “dugga boy tracks”. My PH graciously told him to set up above the valley for plains game and we would work the valley for buffalo. We saw no tracks nor did we see any evidence of any footprints of anybody leaving a hunting vehicle. How common is it to run into other hunting parties from the same outfitter while on a Martin Pieter’s hunt?
13. At no time did I ever indicate that there was ever going to be anyone other than me hunting. Why was Cathy issued a hunting license?
14. The only communication in camp that was available was the PH’s cell phone which was unusable from camp. Is it standard operating procedure for a Bulembi Safaris camp to not to have SAT phone or radios for communication?
15. While eating a candlelight breakfast of cold cereal and powdered coffee, I bit into a worm of some sort. I immediately recognized the taste from my survival training as a Navy pilot. Is it normal for a Martin Pieter’s camp to operate for 7 days on a 4.5 kva generator?
16. Mid week we ran out of eggs, fresh vegetables for salad and orange mix for the soda. However, after a 2 hour drive from Omay safari area to meet the van at the hardtop for our ground transfer to Bulewayo, I helped unload a full case of eggs, fresh vegetables, etc. destined for the Russian camp. Did I, my wife, daughter and sister eat more than you planned for during our 7 day hunt?
17. After we began our 6 hour drive to Bulewayo, I asked the driver to stop at a store in a village we were passing through so I could purchase some drinks and snacks for us and the driver. Why did you not at least put a cooler in the vehicle?
18. The PH stated that we would meet you at your office in Bulewayo before proceeding to Big Cave for the night before our flight to Jberg. About an hour from Bulewayo, the driver informed us you could not meet us and we were to proceed to Big Cave and you would meet us in the morning. The following morning when the driver picked us up for the airport, we were informed that you cancelled our morning meeting and we were to proceed to the airport. Why did you not stop by Elephant Point camp while you were in camp with the Russians during the week or at least meet us before our departure?
19. Why did I not see one mature bull buffalo after hunting sunup to sundown for 7 days?
Thank you for taking the time to answer these very specific questions with specific answers to these 19 questions.
Bob
On February 21, 2012 you replied:
Hi Bob

Many thanks,

• I can only apologize about the school holidays, I did not even take into account school holidays.
• "Locals' stated that you can only catch a tiger in a month with an R in it.........well as a local, I beg to differ. It is true that tiger fishing is possibly best around October/ November, however, with correct fishing methods ( deeper water, ground baits etc ), a lot of tiger fish are caught in August. The worst months being the winter months of June/ July ). The PH's as well as Dalton knew of your request for fishing equipment, they were supposed to bring it with them,I am not sure why you only fished for 30 minutes.
• gain, I have not bee informed about boat motor fuel and the fact that she had to pay for it this is the first time I have heard of it.
• The camp was assigned due to the size of the group, the fact that you wanted to fish ( Chifudze is 100 km's from the lake , 4 plus hours ), and for possible game viewing options along the lake by boat.
• During that period, I had a father and 2 sons from England hunting out of Chifudze camp.
• I believe if memory serves me correctly that the father and son hunters took 4 buffalo during that period, they finished early and came to the lake for plains game and fishing, they shot some bushbuck and caught a few fish.
• This I cannot answer, typically, prior to your arrival, you are informed by or office of the plans for the charter, in your case, you were arriving in the Falls several days prior to the safari and were then to meet the charter plane at the airport. 99 % of clients arrive at the airport and are met by the charter pilot and taken to camp, in your case, I assume there were misunderstandings between our office and your self, this I can look into to try and find out exactly why there was confusion.
• I was out of cell signal and email contact, when I received your email, obviously, the first thing I did was call you and ask if your rifle had arrived. Steve from Travel with Guns is far more capable being the booking agent for your flights and in the know with firearm travel, and would have done everything to try and locate your weapon. It happens often, rifles are delayed and 99 % of the time arrive the next day on the next flight.
• We use Elephant point for a few safaris/ year, it is a very unique area, and we often travel from other camps solely for the purpose of hunting buffalo that come out of Bumi Hills state land, we have over the years taken some of our best elephant, leopard and buffalo out of this area. Often I use this camp as a base for when I am hunting specific herds as it is too far to travel back and forth to my other camp, also the roads are terrible so it is easier to use this camp.
• I am not a pilot, nor am I a charter company owner, this is what we are told by the charter companies, I cannot even begin to guess what weight a 206 can carry safely into bush strips in hot weather in mountainous conditions, this is for the trained 206 pilot to know.
• We have hunters show up with far less Bob, often if they want to bring more gear, they opt for a Navajo and pay more money.
• During ' peak ' season, I have hunters in most camps, the Russian was hunting plains game NOT buffalo, so she did not interfere with your hunt, the husband was hunting lion, NOT buffalo, again, there was no conflict. Sometimes hunters share camps as long as they are not after the same quarry.
• When you say Cathy was issued a hunting licence, I am not sure what you mean, if she had a TR2, it was perhaps the office assumed she may want to hunt plains game and they were making sure, in any event, there is no charge for this piece of paper.
• Most PH's have their own SAT phones and it is common practice for ALL PH's to have their own radios in their vehicles and mobile radios for while they are walking, I am not at all sure why Scott did not have his fitted and or connected.
• Yes, most camps have 5Kva generators, they are ample, some bush camps have bucket showers, paraffin lights etc and NO generators. Vehicle batteries are often used for 12 V lights., did you find the worm?
• At Elephant point was Scott and I believe Dalton and perhaps Mike came and went, I am not sure why either of them did not go and get supplies, there is no excuse for that as the were there to run the camp an make sure there was enough food, drink, water etc, this I will have to look into.
• The vehicle should have had a cooler, again not sure why Thulani did not have one, secondly, the PH ( Scott ) usually puts a cooler into the vehicle an makes sure you are comfortable before saying goodbye.
• I did not hunt with the Russians at all, and as for not meeting you in Bulawayo, I believe at that time, I was not in Bulawayo, I cannot remember exactly what or where I was, but it must have been important otherwise I would have been there to see you.
• You should have seen a shootable bull. I am not sure where Scott took you and if he perhaps concentrated in only one area. The Omay is huge and he could have travelled vast distances to find suitable tracks and get you onto a decent trophy. I can only assume, you stayed in one area and hunted for specific buffalo.

In light of the above, Bob, what can I do to have you back for another hunt to get your buffalo.

Regards

Martin
If your allegations, which are untrue by the way, that my performance as a client was the cause for the unsuccessful hunt, why did you wait until October 2016 to raise this issue on a public forum?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Man I'm glad I stick to DIY hunts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just got back from a buffalo hunt. I wanted to kill a big buff and for 5 days we passed on lessor bulls. I had cleared this with the PH (Lin Stanton) beforehand. I finally shot a slightly smaller bull, but that was my decision. I was under absolutely no pressure to shoot any of the bulls. I paid the trophy fee ONLY after shooting the bull I decided to go with.

Having clear communication upfront would preclude misunderstandings such as outlined above.

PS I could have shot a bigger buff, but my legs gave out after about 18km of walking. That is totally on me, not the PH or trackers.

JMO

BH63

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I hunted with Martin and his crew, back in July/Aug. of 2011. We had a fabulous hunt, and Martin was great to deal with. I guess I smell a rat on this thread......

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/08/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ive seen way more bad clients than I have bad outfitters.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
bobmn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've seen way more bad outfitters than I have bad clients.

B
bobmn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
BH63: On arrival in camp I told the PH I was not a trophy hunter. I wanted my family to experience Africa and I hoped for a shot at a mature bull. Never saw a bull and I did not experience "my legs gave out". Regarding "Having clear communication upfront would preclude misunderstandings such as outlined above", on August 30, 2011 at 10:43:31 PM CDT Pieters emailed: "Let me know if you would like to put that towards another buffalo
safari, or if you would like me to send you a cheque.

Kind Regards

Martin"
Communications were clear until it came time for Pieters to write a check. I am delighted you shot a buffalo.

B
bobmn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
maddog: I am glad that you and your son are happy with your Pieters safari. However, I suggest you click on the link http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/8621073702?r=8621073702#8621073702. Pay attention to a post by wrenchmaster on 15 January 2015 where he states: "Gee! What a surprise, I guess I'm not the only one who has not received emails or messages back from Martin Pieters when I tried to contact him concerning money I was due."
You might also consider what hunt99, badhunt, motorcity, 465H&H, Palmer Allen, w Johnson ("I won't be going back there") and begno have to say about their hunts with Pieters by searching their names on Accurate Reloading. Maybe the "I smell a rat on this thread" is not attributable to me as you suggest but to another person involved in this issue or perhaps the rat smell is emanating from you.

Last edited by bobmn; 10/10/16.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hate posting on these threads but feel inclined to do so.

My experience in the Omay has been great. I have killed some good buffalo, leopard, and have had a great time hunting tuskless on three separate trips. I also have enjoyed good fishing on the Ume/Kariba. I even stayed in camp longer than my hunt just to ride around with the appy and was charged no extra. Money has never been an issue and Martin has treated me more than fairly. I have even stayed at Martin’s house for nearly two weeks after a hunt.

I have hunted in five countries on nine safaris and every one of them has been great. Once I lost a day of hunting because of quota issues, I stayed calm and we were able to work everything out, turned out to be a fine safari. My last hunt the PH became ill on the day before the hunt started and I ended up doing almost two weeks self-guided in a fly camp on one of the most remote areas in Africa. That story will actually be in Africa Hunter magazine in the next issue. I was on a hunt with one of what I consider one of the best operators, in a great area, with one of the best PHs in Africa and I did not connect with a tuskless. That hunt was one of my finest hunts ever, even though we failed on the tuskless.

Your experience was obviously different. I am sorry for that. Hunting in Africa should always be an enjoyable experience. When things go bad the truth or blame probably lies somewhere in the middle. I wish you and Martin could have worked out an amicable solution.

However, I post on AR under Mike Burke. So I did a detailed search on the guys you listed.

Originally Posted by bobmn
You might also consider what hunt99, badhunt, motorcity, 465H&H, Palmer Allen, w Johnson ("I won't be going back there") and begno have to say about their hunts with Pieters by searching their names on Accurate Reloading.

Please note you reference AR members and their hunts with Martin Pieters.

I performed a search for each of the guys you listed that would return results for Omay, Martin, or Pieters. This is what I found.

Hunt99 had three posts concerning this. His issue was with the PH (who is Martin’s responsibility). They saw buffalo and even stated the two others in his group had great hunts.

There are no posts of any kind for a poster named “badhunt” or “bad hunt” for that matter.

Motorcity was looking for a reference on Martin. Only one post. No report about the hunt or if he even made the hunt.

465H&H has quite a few posts about the Omay. He has hunted there even before Martin had it. This is his latest post about the Omay. He does not sound upset with Martin. In another post he even stated he knows of a guy that took 7 or 8 buffalo in in six days on the Omay.

“Martin,
You are to be commended for your outstanding anti-poaching efforts. I have hunted Omay several times for elephant and we often found the carcases of poached elephants. One time the bones of 5 or 6 in one small area. It was a group of cows and calves. Please keep up the good work. Is there a way for us to donate to the cause?”

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/2751028712?r=2881068712#2881068712

Palmer posted this “Some here have had good luck in the Omay but not me. I will not be going back there.”

Begno has hunted the Omay. I know Butch well. His son did not connect with a buffalo in 2012. Butch killed a 13-3” croc and a good hippo but was disappointed for his son. As an aside I understand the area Butch and his son hunted is now part of a hunting conservancy and the game is abundant.

Not all the guys you listed seem to have had problems. If I missed something I apologize.

If you would like I can post links to 40 or 50 or more hunts that people were very pleased with Martin.

Between Larry Shores, bwanamrm, and myself we have 8-10 hunting reports that are very good.

The Omay is tough. It can be hot, it is huge, the buffalo are smart. But it can also be some of the most rewarding hunting you can do. Make sure you go at the right time and make certain you have a the PH you want.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I hate posting on these threads but feel inclined to do so.

My experience in the Omay has been great. I have killed some good buffalo, leopard, and have had a great time hunting tuskless on three separate trips. I also have enjoyed good fishing on the Ume/Kariba. I even stayed in camp longer than my hunt just to ride around with the appy and was charged no extra. Money has never been an issue and Martin has treated me more than fairly. I have even stayed at Martin’s house for nearly two weeks after a hunt.

I have hunted in five countries on nine safaris and every one of them has been great. Once I lost a day of hunting because of quota issues, I stayed calm and we were able to work everything out, turned out to be a fine safari. My last hunt the PH became ill on the day before the hunt started and I ended up doing almost two weeks self-guided in a fly camp on one of the most remote areas in Africa. That story will actually be in Africa Hunter magazine in the next issue. I was on a hunt with one of what I consider one of the best operators, in a great area, with one of the best PHs in Africa and I did not connect with a tuskless. That hunt was one of my finest hunts ever, even though we failed on the tuskless.

Your experience was obviously different. I am sorry for that. Hunting in Africa should always be an enjoyable experience. When things go bad the truth or blame probably lies somewhere in the middle. I wish you and Martin could have worked out an amicable solution.

However, I post on AR under my real name Mike Burke. So I did a detailed search on the guys you listed.

Originally Posted by bobmn
You might also consider what hunt99, badhunt, motorcity, 465H&H, Palmer Allen, w Johnson ("I won't be going back there") and begno have to say about their hunts with Pieters by searching their names on Accurate Reloading.

Please note you reference AR members and their hunts with Martin Pieters.

I performed a search for each of the guys you listed that would return results for Omay, Martin, or Pieters. This is what I found.

Hunt99 had three posts concerning this. His issue was with the PH (who is Martin’s responsibility). They saw buffalo and even stated the two others in his group had great hunts.

There are no posts of any kind for a poster named “badhunt” or “bad hunt” for that matter.

Motorcity was looking for a reference on Martin. Only one post. No report about the hunt or if he even made the hunt.

465H&H has quite a few posts about the Omay. He has hunted there even before Martin had it. This is his latest post about the Omay. He does not sound upset with Martin. In another post he even stated he knows of a guy that took 7 or 8 buffalo in in six days on the Omay.

“Martin,
You are to be commended for your outstanding anti-poaching efforts. I have hunted Omay several times for elephant and we often found the carcases of poached elephants. One time the bones of 5 or 6 in one small area. It was a group of cows and calves. Please keep up the good work. Is there a way for us to donate to the cause?”

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/2751028712?r=2881068712#2881068712

Palmer posted this “Some here have had good luck in the Omay but not me. I will not be going back there.”

Begno has hunted the Omay. I know Butch well. His son did not connect with a buffalo in 2012. Butch killed a 13-3” croc and a good hippo but was disappointed for his son. As an aside I understand the area Butch hunted is now part of a hunting conservancy and the game is abundant.

Not all the guys you listed seem to have had problems. If I missed something I apologize.

If you would like I send links to 40 or 50 or more hunts that people were very pleased with.

Between Larry Shores, bwanamrm, and myself we have 8-10 hunting reports that are very good.

The Omay is tough. It can be hot, it is huge, the buffalo are smart. But it can also be some of the most rewarding hunting you can do. Make sure you go at the right time and make certain you have a the PH you want.

Hi Mike,

Sober post as is the norm for you. I agree with you on quality experiences. I have something over 30 trips and can only call one a bust. It was my last years trip to Tanzania, it was awful. I figure I had one bad one coming, just the numbers. I could have lit the outfit up over on AR but figured what for. Would it make me feel better? Nope.

If I see the same discounted hunt offered again, I will warn others. But if it isn't offered I see no point in this type of computerized, character assassination.

I've learned this one thing if nothing else; Outfitters, Africa or anywhere else are extremely motivated to work out problems and or differences. I believe they will normally bend over backwards to accommodate complaints or problems, even those that aren't their fault.

Take care.

Steve

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
I have something over 30 trips and can only call one a bust. It was my last years trip to Tanzania, it was awful. I figure I had one bad one coming, just the numbers. I could have lit the outfit up over on AR but figured what for. Would it make me feel better? Nope.

If I see the same discounted hunt offered again, I will warn others. But if it isn't offered I see no point in this type of computerized, character assassination.

What you do after you get ripped off is your business but I appreciate it when someone takes the trouble to warn others so they don't have to suffer the same fate. And it isn't character assination; it's the scoundrels getting what they deserve.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I guess the moral of this thread is "Never pay your trophy fees upfront". If your PH insists, then look for another PH. The safari business is competitive.

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If ANY PH/Outfitter ever asks for trophy fees up front, I'd tell him to pack sand and I'd find another. Fifty % deposit of the DAILY RATE at booking, the other 50, sixty days prior and trophy fees at the end of the hunt.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If ANY PH/Outfitter ever asks for trophy fees up front, I'd tell him to pack sand and I'd find another. Fifty % deposit of the DAILY RATE at booking, the other 50, sixty days prior and trophy fees at the end of the hunt.

I believe an outfitter asking for a TF deposit is completely within reason. I would never pay up front but a 50% deposit on what I think I may shoot is appropriate. Trust is required on both ends.

I ran into a guy several years ago in the Phoenix Chapter SCI who made it his MO to purchase donated hunts that included everything but TF's. He would go and shoot the place up and either make claims on his CC's or simply not pay for the stuff. All he wanted was the pictures anyway.

I think there was a time when gentlemen would never consider stiffing a client or an outfitter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I will never pay TF up front either, or pay by the inch for trophy fees.

We all have to look ourselves in the mirror and be happy with who we see, if you have a conscience that is. Some don't.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting comments about paying trophy fees.

I have paid trophy fees upfront on a couple of hunts. I have never left Africa without owing the operator money, at times substantial amounts. One hunt I did not pay anything until after I returned from the hunt, that included two buffalo and a tuskless, not even a deposit for day rates.

If I do not trust the operator enough to pay trophy fees I should not be hunting with him. Also if I do not trust him enough, why should he trust me to leave Africa owing him money.

Maybe one day my good judgement or luck will run out but so far it has worked out well for me and the operators.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been lucky with Africa. After my first Safari nearly 30 years ago, I've had personal introductions to the other operators and PHs I've hunted with from within the industry. One PH I know, like and trust has hooked me up with a personal friend in another country, whom I got to know sometimes years before we hunt together. So Most of the time I've book, nobody askes for a deposit. I usually pay the daily rates by wire transfer 30 days out, and trophy fees there.

Twice I covered the trophy fees and incidental fees only to find myelf sort on the tip cash. Both times (to my same buddy) I've flown to SCI the next January and delivered an appropriate tip, which was gladly recieved in the States (in cash). It's a standing joke betweenus still. "Bringing me anything this year at SCI?" smile

No, I'd never pay the trophy fees up front. Might escrow them. I HATE to carry big $$$$ on my person, especially in Africa. I once had about $14,000 in French Francs (pre Euro) in a fanny pack to pay fees in Cameroon. That was very, very uncomfortable, but worked out fine.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I've booked my two Zim hunts with Atcheson's, two different outfitters. In both cases I sent a large check to Atcheson's after the hunt. I suppose if I had tried to stiff the outfitter, I would have been sued in the USA and if they tried to stiff me, Atcheson's could threaten them with no more clients. That's the way to do it.

An earlier time I dealt directly with Dudley Rodgers. I sent him a deposit of $4,000 but had a medical emergency. He refused to either refund the deposit or apply it to the next year. Obviously Rodgers lost all my future business.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We hunted with Martin a few years ago in the Omay and overall it was a good hunt. We booked a 7 day buff hunt and some plains game if we spotted any. Prior to leaving the states we asked about a Hippo and a Croc if we happen to see one. We were told by e-mail that it was no problem. We would just have to pay the Trophy fee. Wow, great. However, when we got there the Trophy fee we were quoted just about doubled on the HIppo and Croc. Not cool. He gave us some excuse about having run out of quota. Whatever....... Come late September we see that he is selling Hippo and Croc hunts at a discount on AR website. That is my only beef with the guy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunted with Pieters in the Omay South in July of 2012. It was a seven day hunt for buffalo and plains game, if I had the opportunity. I hunted seven days leaving camp pre dawn and returning after dark.
In seven days I shot at a 300 yard running baboon. Saw buffalo every day but no shot opportunities (could have shot a cow buffalo)and saw very little plains game, certainly nothing that one would take a shot at.
I am a runner and have been for over 30 years, so my ability to keep up was not an issue.
This was my first safari ( have been on two highly successful safaris since) so maybe I was expecting too much in thinking I would get a shot at something. I had the "trophy fee" money escrowed back in the USA, so that was not an issue.
Yes, I have heard "That's why they call it hunting."

Last edited by dale06; 10/28/16.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 13 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.