Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
W
wyomike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm thinking about buying a Tikka. I don't know anyone who has one. I read somewhere that they are a "poor man's Sako" made at the same factory in Finland.
A local gun shop has them on sale at a darn good price so I,m probably going to pick one up in the morning, unless I get some negative reports from a bunch of guys.
Thanks

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're normally accurate with most bullets/powders/loads.

They feel like a damn play toy to me though, and with horrible ergos to boot. I don't plan to have another...

Last edited by T_Inman; 10/05/16.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There are things I can nit pick about T3s but I have owned 3 (223,243 and 308) and they have all functioned properly, had nice triggers and shot exceptionally well out of the box with a variety of factory and handloads.

I doubt you will be disappointed in one

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a couple around, bought them a few years ago when they were cheaper. One of the most accurate rifles out of the box I have owned. Unlike many others they basically need nothing done to them. Mount a scope and go shoot. Great triggers, most loads in a 270 and 338 Federal shot right at 1" at 100 yards many better than that. Hand loads, cheap plain box stuff did not matter. Folks whine about it being "plastic" but nothing has broken or not worked as it should. They are more expensive now, but they just plain work well. Unless they do not fit you I do not think you will be disappointed in one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have two so far, a T3 Lite stainless bought 2-3 years ago and a T3x Hunter with the wooden stock I just bought a few weeks ago. I looked at the new T3x Lite a fair amount in stores, also the older T3 Hunter before deciding to go ahead and spend the money on the T3x.

To my mind the older T3 Lite stock is a bit slippery but the T3x Lite has a lot grippier checkering. Same with the T3 and T3x Hunters, I liked the older wooden stock but really like the newer one a lot more, it has very grabby checkering and a double palm swell that really lets you hang onto the grip as well as forearm.

Other than that, same same as everyone else reports. Right out of the box both of them had superb triggers, crisp as can be, minimal overtravel and set right at three pounds. They become 2 1/2 pound triggers with about a half turn of the trigger adjustment screw.

The feeding is positive and smooth and they have the slickest bolt throws I've ever felt.

And they are Accurate, accurate, accurate! The stainless is a .223 and puts three shots into the .2's and .3's just dinking around. The Hunter is a .260 and also can put 3 or 4 shots into the .3's. And all that without one iota of "tweaking".

They are far and away the most accurate out of the box rifles I've ever owned and are as accurate as my best customs, at least these two so far. I have other rifles that will match them, but those have replacement aftermarket barrels, trued actions, bedding, the whole works - meaning I had to spend more than the cost of a new rifle on top of the cost of the donor just to make them shoot as good as these Tikkas do when you take them out of the box.

And dat's my Tikka experience...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What T Inman and Jim in Idaho said. If mine wasn't as accurate as it is I wouldn't have kept it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like them and they shoot! I just bought a T3x in a 223 and dropped it into a Boyd's prairie hunter...

Rob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me there is a big difference in the feel of the synthetic stocked T3 and the wooden stocked T3x.

I never have warmed up to the synthetic stock on my T3 Lite but love the new Hunter model. I always liked their wooden stocks better than their synthetics anyway but had an opportunity to compare the T3 and T3x Hunters side by side and immediately liked the T3x Hunter mostly because of the new checkering, you can really hang onto it and snug that rifle into your shoulder. That's what convinced me to forego the close out prices on the older T3 and go with the latest version, just the great way that T3x feels in the hand. If/when they come out with a left handed T3x Hunter in .223 I might just sell my Lite and replace it with a Hunter in the same caliber.

Fwiw, there are a lot of good internet dealers but I got my latest from this place, they had far and away the best price on my rifle - a good $120 less than most others for the price of the rifle alone and no extra charge for shipping to boot.

http://www.centerfireguns.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't warm up to the tikka synthetics at all, even the new T3x....the Boyd's fits me well and i had them do the stippling on the grip and fore end which makes it very nice to hang onto

Rob
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought my T 3 Lite 270 Win in 2003. I still have it and hunt it. It's taken more than its share of WTs.

I have NO criticism. I've never thot of the stock as slippery/slick.

Absolutely love the trigger and the bolt is slick as any you'll work. I've never 'considered' getting rid of it.

As has been repeated, accurate out of the box, no gimmicks, no muss, no fuss.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
wyomike,

Yes, Tikka's are made in the same factory as Sakos, and in fact the barrels for both brands are the same--including that the bores of the heavier contour barrels are lapped to very consistent dimensions. Which is one reason heavy-barrel Tikkas shoot so well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might as well throw in my $.02...

Personal tastes are just that...personal. Some look at rifles as only tools and have differing opinions on what level of precision those tools need posses.

Others view rifles as objects of beauty and personality and demand a fair share of both be present or a firearm is not worth 'stooping' to own.

Some, like myself, have room for both. I love Ruger No.1's and view them as classy, beautiful rifles. I could be happy hunting with a No.1 for the rest of my life. I also own a few Glocks....firearms considered butt-ugly by most yet they are tools of the highest function.

The Tikkas tend to fall into the 'just a tool' category. My two SL's don't 'move' me aesthetically but boy do they deliver on the function spectrum. Super smooth action, totally reliable and tough, lightweight and almost unbelievably consistent and accurate (and with little to no effort).

A rather long winded way of saying that, depending on what you're looking for and expecting, you won't be disappointed.

I can't determine your subjective criteria but, objectively, they are great rifles.

P.S. I do believe a rifle (even a 'soulless' one like the Tikka) can grow emotionally on you to where it becomes more than just a 'tool' as you continue to make fond memories with it.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My brother got one years ago and I thought it was junk. Plastic stock, plastic magazine, it just felt cheap. Then we took it to the range and it was the most accurate gun we had that day.

After that they started growing on me. Everyone we have is sub moa and works. It's not the prettiest gun out there, but one of the best values when it comes to accuracy and function.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very well put Mojo.

Totally agree.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad there are folks that like 'em!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by jwall
Very well put Mojo.

Totally agree.

Jerry

+1 ( or is it +P?). Regardless, excellent post Mr. Mojo.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bought my wife a Left Handed T3 Hunter with the nice wood stock last year in 270Win. Two boxes of the Cheap blue box Federal 130s to get in on target and get the once fired brass to work up some loads. Slapped a vortex scope on it and took it to the range.

One shot at 25, made adjustment, bullseye.
Moved to 100 yards, one shot , made adjustment, bullseye. Thats four shots. Moved to 200 yards, Used two rounds to get the POI where i prefered it. thats 6 shots. I then used the next 24 shots to shoot 3 shot groups at 200 yards and ever one of them was 0.75 to 1.25 inches. 8 groups.

It was bloodied soon after

This is the second Tikka that ive had that same experience with, the other was a T3 Lite in 7mmRemMag.

I will say that i like the wood stocked models.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't like 'em. Good barrels and triggers, everything else sucks heavily......

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess the "just a tool" thing is subjective.

I have a LH in 30-06. T3 light.

I think I will build a wood stock for it, because I like the gun.

My co-worker found one locally, RH blued T3 unfired for $400. I told him to buy it.

He was getting accustomed to the the smooth bolt throw and the next thing I know, he closes his office door, pulls the shade, and I thought I heard Barry White music playing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one and had a another one but sold it. If the price and cal. were right, I would buy another one.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Over time I've gotten to where if a new rifle is really accurate I try to leave it alone. My T3 223 is in that category. I don't like the stock but it has been the most accurate out of the box or modified 223 I've owned. Are owners that have restocked the synthetic stock models getting the same kind of accuracy they had before with aftermarket synthetic stocks?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Over time I've gotten to where if a new rifle is really accurate I try to leave it alone. My T3 223 is in that category. I don't like the stock but it has been the most accurate out of the box or modified 223 I've owned. Are owners that have restocked the synthetic stock models getting the same kind of accuracy they had before with aftermarket synthetic stocks?

I am, my T3 Superlite 7MM-08 now sits in a McMillan Hunters Edge and is scary accurate with factory ammo. Like everyone else says they are hard to get excited about, don't really care for the factory stock but it is pretty good. But when it comes to shooting they do impress.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wyomike,

Sounds like the very few "negative reports" you've gotten so far have primarily been from shooters who still haven't accepted synthetic stocks, and maybe not even Remington 700's, though both have been around for decades.

Apparently they believe that if they do some Internet-pounding on any "modern" rifle that doesn't fit their vision, then the new rifles will go away. Stores will suddenly be filled with pre-'64 Model 70's, or perhaps 8mm Lebels, or whatever their definition of a "real" rifle happens to be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on now JB.

There are actual legit reasons, IMO. Tikka has even decided to address some of those issues with the newer model coming out. Maybe that is why this one is so cheap? On closeout maybe due to new model? I don't know.

There are reasons that have been documented right here for over 10 years now. Same with the Browning A-Bolt, in which they also decided to address said issues with the X-Bolt.

Tikkas are good shooters, and will serve most buyers well. But they are not for everyone.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll go out on a limb -- and probably catch a little heat for this, but...

...as a whole (not just a sample of one), I consider the Tikka T3 to be the most accurate production rifle available on the market today.

Some may not like the plastic mag. I didn't consider the aluminum lug or plastic bolt shroud to be appealing either, but they've changed those parts on the T3X.

There isn't a less fussy rifle on the market, period. They're excellent tools.

This doesn't mean that I'm in love with them...but I don't mind owning a few either!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Admire them, but they don't suit my Johnson Administration era sense of style. I might just go wild and crazy someday and give one a try.

The new X-models are an improvement in several areas, including looks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No heat here. IMO, though, they made the changes for a reason. Like I stated, stuff many of us have griped about for over a decade. I always considered them a budget rifle with a non budget rifle price. They really aren't that cheap, given the corners cut. Are the improved models more expensive now?

I like my short action rounds housed in short actions. As for accuracy, there are plenty of guns priced less than the Tikka that shoot well. I have owned Vanguards and Savages that drive nails. And I hear the new Americans aren't too shabby either.

Another thing I don't care for is the price of factory parts. They are way over priced. And since Beretta took over, customer service has been horrible IME.

Like I said, everyone has their own tastes, and they are not for everyone. Some obviously love them....

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Been shooting them for over 17 years, going back to the Tikka 695. Nothing in their price range can match the accuracy, durability, and ease of use, all of which have been proven to me, by me. Research area: 200 big game animals later, from Sonora MX to South Africa and Namibia, and many states here in the US.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Very well put Mojo.

Totally agree.

Jerry

Yep; I just got my first Tikka recently, a T3 Lite in 7-08 which, if I think it could use a little more weight may get a nice Boyd's Prairie Hunter with upgraded wood and checkering.

This is my first SS rifle and I usually go for blued/walnut packages and I really think this thing is slick.

I HATE Tupperware stocks typically but this one doesn't seem bad at all. We'll see!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My T3 Lite is going on close to 3k rounds through it w/ out a problem. The trigger is good and the action is slicker than buttered slugs. Mine is in 308W and was purchased as a truck gun. It has far exceeded my expectations.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Nothing in their price range can match the accuracy, durability,

Like I said, I have had plenty of rifles that shoot great. Not sure why Tikka shooters feel that Tikkas are the only very accurate rifles made. Reminds me of Savage shooters. Maybe because that is all they have to go on. That said, accuracy has nothing to do with why I don't buy Tikkas.

If you feel that recoil lug, plastic shroud, and mounting system are the most durable ones made, well,..........OK grin Better call Tikka and tell them to change them all back.

I don't think Tikka made all the recent design changes to fix things that weren't broken. But I DO feel that the improvements made make the new Tikka T3X a much more viable option than it's predecessor. Although I haven't priced them so....

JMO.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had about 1/2 dozen over the years. Never had one that wasn't very accurate out of the box. Still have a couple and the only reason I ever got rid of any of them, is like many, I found something I just couldn't live without.

Texas bred and born
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Like I said, I have had plenty of rifles that shoot great. Not sure why Tikka shooters feel that Tikkas are the only very accurate rifles made. Reminds me of Savage shooters. Maybe because that is all they have to go on. That said, accuracy has nothing to do with why I don't buy Tikkas.

JMO.....

99% chance you'd be most definitely wrong.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
People complain about the tupperware stocks... Granted they're not a McMillan but they're 100% better than the junk tupperware stocks that Remington, Winchester, Savage and Ruger puts on their rifles.

People complain about the bolt shroud and the recoil lug. My rifles have thousands of rounds fired and I've not had a problem yet.

People complain about the closed ejection port receiver....A closed port action is more rigid/stronger and in many cases more accurate than an open port receiver. Remington 788s were know to be more accurate than 700 actions.

There are better made rifles an T3s and there are also a LOT worse made and less accurate ones that compare in price.

Tikka's aren't the only rifles I own but my experience owning 4 of them has been that ON AVERAGE Tikka's will shoot circles around most domestic brand rifles. So will Steyrs.

Last edited by Ghostman; 10/06/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

JMO.....

99% chance you'd be most definitely wrong.

YEP, of ALL the rifles I have & have had, I only have 1 Tikka, 13 years.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
2muchgun,

A little over a year ago I was in the Tikka factory, listening to the changes being made for the T3x. They were primarily made because some shooters wanted them, not because there were vast, across-the-board problems with the T3. The major requests were from the relatively few shooters who wanted softer recoil pads and stiffer recoil lugs for harder-kicking rifles, but tens of thousands of T3's have been working for a long time now without any problems--including a T3 Lite in 7mm Remington Magnum a friend bought a number of years ago for hunting this part of Montana. He hunts hard and shoots quite a bit and nothing has gone wrong with his rifle, despite often hunting in temperatures below zero.

The other factor that went into the changes was profitability. The demand for Tikkas has been growing very steadily, and the U.S. is by far the largest market. So they could afford to make some changes if that's what some customers wanted.

Yes, there are a bunch of accurate, affordable rifles out there today. I've owned and do own a number of Savages and Ruger Americans, but while their triggers are OK, they do not compare to Tikka triggers. The accuracy of Savages and Rugers is normally better than average to very good, but on average they do not match Tikkas right out of the box. Few rifles do. I would also rate the T/C Venture as better out of the box than Ruger AR's and the cheaper Savages, because the trigger and stock are also better, but the Tikka is definitely a step up from there--which is why there's some difference in price for all four rifles.

Personally, I don't care whether a rifle chambered for a "short-action round" uses a short action, especially when there's so little difference is action weight in typical modern cylindrical actions. In fact I kind of prefer short rounds in longer actions, because there tends to be more flexibility in seating bullets--and if the magazine isn't quite long enough, it can often be easily swapped for a longer magazine. But I do find most arguments for short actions pretty much irrelevant; there are more details why in the column Rick posted a couple of days ago at the head of this forum.

The latest Tikka to show up here was one of the T3 Lite .260 Remingtons offered a Whittaker Guns run last year. The trigger was superb out of the box, unlike the triggers on Savages and RAR's, and it's superbly accurate with almost any load, including Remington Core-Lokt factories. It also weighs only 6-3/4 pounds with scope, which I happen to like since so much of the hunting country around my home is steep and high--and I'm not particularly young anymore. So far it just keeps plunking 140-grain Accubonds into the same tiny groups, which is one reason it will be the rifle I plan to do most of my local hunting with this year--and I do have plenty of choices.

If it wouldn't be your choice for any hunting, well fine, the world also offers plenty of choices. But don't try to convince me Tikkas don't work well.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Stores will suddenly be filled with pre-'64 Model 70's, or perhaps 8mm Lebels, or whatever their definition of a "real" rifle happens to be.

That is really going to happen now, since BassProShops bought Cabelas.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw an 8mm Lebel the other day at the LGS.

I was close.

Really close....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If an 8mm Lebel in decent condition showed up at my local shop, I'd definitely be interested. But that doesn't mean all smokeless rifle development stopped in 1886!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me, too, but only if it was a fast twist...

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my view, T-3 ss/synthetic rifles are functional, reliable and accurate tools. They just work. Moreover, it is important to me to have the bolt lockdown in battery on my hunting rifles when the safety is on and that is how it works on Tikkas. Although I have never had any accuracy issues with Tikka's aluminum lug, I did purchase a steel lug from some outfit in Norway just in case one of my T3s started to wander. However, I'll bet that this Norwegian metal is still in my spare parts drawer when the kids have to pack my ashes up to the top of Goat Mountain. CP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We could argue the accuracy thing all day. I feel there are other guns that shoot just as well. They aren't god's gift to accuracy like some think. Either that or I have just gotten lucky with my bolt guns as far as accuracy goes. I have had 700s, CZs, Savages, Vanguards, Rugers, etc. that all shot exceptionally well.

But again, never once have I said Tikkas don't shoot well. Never. Or said that they don't work well. Meaning I don't need to see pics of groups shot or critters killed with Tikkas. But they are not the only rifles capable of such feats. Nor close.

My problem is mainly with what you get for your money. Other than barrel and trigger, corners have obviously been cut everywhere else. They have plastic shroud/magazine/stock/trigger guard. 2 Piece bolt. They come in one action length and utilize a bolt stop. They have an enclosed port, they have an absolute joke of a "recoil lug", rings suck as does mounting systems/options, stock, and customer service. And replacement parts are ridiculously priced for what they are.

The same guys who brag about how great they are out of the box, are the ones who replace recoil lugs, rings, and shrouds. Lol. Making an already over priced rifle even more so.

All this adds up to a rifle that does not interest me in the least. I am sorry but there is no way I can justify Tikka prices in my mind, given the individual parts. They have to be making a TON of money on these things, cuz I guarantee they can't cost any more to produce than rifles that sell for less. Rifles that give you metal where Tikka gives you plastic. And come in more than one action length. And that allow decent scope mounting/rings.

I feel these are legitimate reasons, Facts, not opinions. At the very least, they are legitimate enough to make some not buy them, and make Tikka make some changes in their designs/materials/offerings.

They just are not for me. Too many nicer looking rifles out there that are made of better quality parts, than for me to waste my time with a half baked, over priced, over hyped, cost cutter rifle made by an overseas company who seems to not care if you are happy or not, as long as they get paid.

You all can like them though wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

The same guys who brag about how great they are out of the box, are the ones who replace recoil lugs, rings, and shrouds. Lol. Making an already over priced rifle even more so.

You need to stop while you're behind. You don't like them, fine and dandy, but quit making dumbasss statements like this one, and the "they haven't tried any other rifles" BS. You're obviously talking out your wazooo and have no basis for any of it.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/06/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How does it being 100% accurate make it a dumbass statement?

I think you need to start seeing things for what they really are, not pretending they are someting they aren't, start looking at things objectively rather than subjectively, and quit being butt heart so easily....

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
These two jewels come to mind very recently....

JMO.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your "most durable" comment in regards to plastic shrouds and floating aluminum recoil lugs, etc. is EASILY the most dumbass comment in this entire thread......LMAO

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
17 years shooting aoudad with a Tikka....killed over 100 of 'em. That's probably more game than you've ever shot at. I know lots more about how well they work than you ever thought of, since you basically have no experience, just opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you killing sheep somehow changes the facts in regards to Tikka design/materials?

Gotcha.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You remind me of the x-ray proof, plastic junk guns, geniuses who said Glock were junk and would not last. Any hot stock tips???

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
So you killing sheep somehow changes the facts in regards to Tikka design/materials?

Gotcha.....

With regards to your stupid dependability comment to me, absolutely. I've proven to myself they are not plastic junk....very, very durable over the past 17 years, proven in the US, Africa, and Mexico.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I haven't shot tons of game or shot 10,000's of rounds with the Tikkas in the house but they have been hunted and shot a bunch. Never felt the need or had a need to replace anything, including the supposed crappy rings. As long as you don't go gorilla on the screws they work fine and have for many years now. No they are not the answer to all rifle questions, but they do really work well. I have recommended them to friends who are not say a GUN NUT and none of them have been disappointed. Like JB, I have never understood the whole short action thing, but the choices are ours to make. I do think that a choice to buy a Tikka is a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The difference between you and me is that I don't get butt hurt if someone doesn't agree with my tastes in rifles. You get your panties in a wad if I don't like your rifle, but I don't get frustated in the least over your choosing it, or not liking my choices.
Then you start in with the " I have killed more animals, my dad can beat up your dad" crap. Please, spare me.

If I told you how many rifles I have owned and shot you may not believe me. And again, I wouldn't care. If you would like to continue down this road, so be it. But you may not like where it leads.

I'd rather you just chilled your azz out. They are only guns....

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's always a good idea for you to keep quiet about something you know absolutely nothing about, which you proved in this thread. A guy can get shaken down pretty quickly on this forum when he's talking about something he has zero field experience with. Adios Amigo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hilarious. I have forgotten more about rifles than you will ever know.

Something you have proven all on your own with your outlandish comments.

You may have killed some critters in your day, but it doesn't mean you know rifles. Obviously. That's okay though, lotsa guys fall into that category.

Later....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2muchgun,

A little over a year ago I was in the Tikka factory, listening to the changes being made for the T3x. They were primarily made because some shooters wanted them,

not because there were vast, across-the-board problems with the T3.

The major requests were from the relatively few shooters who wanted softer recoil pads and stiffer recoil lugs for harder-kicking rifles, but tens of thousands of T3's have been working for a long time now without any problems...

The other factor that went into the changes was profitability. The demand for Tikkas has been growing very steadily, and the U.S. is by far the largest market.

If it wouldn't be your choice for any hunting, well fine, the world also offers plenty of choices. But don't try to convince me Tikkas don't work well.

JG - Mule Deer is very informed on the subject of Tikkas BUT some people have the 'blinders' and 'ear muffs' on so they are not going to see nor listen .

As MD stated earlier in this thread it's the majority here who report satisfaction with the Tikkas. I am only 1 but in 13 yrs the bolt shroud, scope rings and recoil lug have not given me any trouble at all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

With regards to your stupid dependability comment to me, absolutely. I've proven to myself they are not plastic junk....very, very durable over the past 17 years, proven in the US, Africa, and Mexico.

I think you have VERY GOOD evidence from 'actual use'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I don't care whether a rifle chambered for a "short-action round" uses a short action, especially when there's so little difference is action weight in typical modern cylindrical actions. In fact I kind of prefer short rounds in longer actions, because there tends to be more flexibility in seating bullets--and if the magazine isn't quite long enough, it can often be easily swapped for a longer magazine. But I do find most arguments for short actions pretty much irrelevant; there are more details why in the column Rick posted a couple of days ago at the head of this forum.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that feels this way about the short action vs long action thing.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 10/06/16.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Well I haven't shot tons of game or shot 10,000's of rounds with the Tikkas in the house but they have been hunted and shot a bunch. Never felt the need or had a need to replace anything, including the supposed crappy rings.

Smithrjd -

your experience mirrors mine and others who have 'actually' used the Tikkas.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that feels this way about the short action vs long action thing.

Your are not the only one, there are others of US that feel the same way.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

I'd rather you just chilled your azz out. They are only guns....

Pot meet kettle

I'd be interested to hear what malfunctions you had with the Tikkas you've owned and hunted as much or more than JGR has his.

Hint: that would mean your opinion meant almost as much as you seem to think it does

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a Tikka combo that included a Burris FFII 3-9. It was $499 with a sale that took another 20% off. I grabbed it and found out when I got home that Beretta had a deal in which if you purchased a new Tikka, you got 150 beretta bucks. I then used that for an extra magazine and x-mas presents for family.

I was astounded when I took it to the range. Everything I tried, factory, handloads from other rifles made itty bitty groups. I took it hunting and killed a whopper buck with it.

Recently bought a 222 with the hunter wood stock, it was like deja vu all over again, itty bitty groups, lots of dead woodchucks, no tweaking, just mount a scope.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Yup. If it was all that big of a deal, everybody'd get all anal over .223s in short actions. We''d all have to have Sako Vixens.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've owned several Tikka T-3 SS/Synthetic rifles and they've each given me spectacular accuracy. Plus, I've killed some dandy bucks and bulls with them.

At the same time, I continue to own and shoot a stable of finest quality custom rifles; Gordy Gritter guns, Clay Spencer rifles and such.

Frankly, the Tikkas shoot as well, and maybe finer across the board, as my custom rifles ... Krieger barrels and all.

Forgetting the bullshit elitism, it is damned hard to beat the Tikka T3s. Given a rifle to grab, go out the back door and kill sumpin' with, it would be a Tikka T-3.

I don't have any of the new T-3X rifles, but they can only be equal or better.

Tikkas are just plain excellent rifles and surely the best-of-breed of off-the-rack rifles.

Good enough for this pilgrim, for sure.

kd

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
2muchgun...

It's blatantly obvious you don't like Tikka's but let me ask you this.....

How many Remington 700s, Savages, Rugers, & Vanguards have you and other people bought that they've had to change out triggers, stocks and even barrels to get them to function or shoot decent? I sure have and so have lots of others.

Lets talk about quality and materials on one of the most popular bolt action rifles sold, the Remington 700, which on average costs more than a T3.

Have you bore scoped many Remington 700 barrels in the past 15 years or so? Check bolt timing? Check receivers for true and checked bolt lugs for engagement? When you have please try again to convince us how superior they are in design and materials. There is a reason 700's are one of the most customized rifles in existence...they require it.

I agree with Col. Whelen....only accurate rifles are interesting. I'd rather have a T3 that functions properly, doesn't need an aftermarket trigger or stock and shoots accurately OUT OF THE BOX (design flaws and all) than many domestic brand rifles.

your mileage may vary...

Last edited by Ghostman; 10/06/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey Rooms,

This here Tikka .260 is scheduled for some hard hunting this fall. It went some last fall, but Eileen and I had put 10 big game animals in our freezers in 2014, so weren't going to shoot anything unless it was an exceptional trophy. (Saw some nice ones though not THE ones!) But this year we're sort of in between: Could use some meat, thanks to Eileen using quite bit while writing her latest cookbook, but not so much I can't afford to look for a good mule deer--and maybe run into a cow elk along the way.

The .260 will be the No. 1 rifle, even though I haven't touched the trigger (it broke very cleanly at 2.5 pounds right out of the box), and the 6x scope is even in the factory rings. The zero hasn't shifted during considerable load tweaking and longer-range testing, so am guessing it just might work. :-)

Best to you and Karen,

John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'll go out on a limb -- and probably catch a little heat for this, but...

...as a whole (not just a sample of one), I consider the Tikka T3 to be the most accurate production rifle available on the market today.

Some may not like the plastic mag. I didn't consider the aluminum lug or plastic bolt shroud to be appealing either, but they've changed those parts on the T3X.

There isn't a less fussy rifle on the market, period. They're excellent tools.

This doesn't mean that I'm in love with them...but I don't mind owning a few either!

I'm encouraged by this! I have a SS Swede lite that I just put in a McMillan Edge from Rick, ordered new bottom metal that's actually metal and plan to use it this year. Not as svelt as a Kimber, but still really nice. The trigger adjusted down and no creap.

All in all I'm pleased with it and I trust it shoot as advertised.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've hunted my Tikka 595 .243 for 16 years without any problems. Only rifle I own that didn't need a thing out of the box. Mount a scope and go shoot period. Trigger was perfect out of the box. Groups loads it likes into the .4's and .5's and damn near everything under an inch, including several cheap factory loads. In regards to the "cheap plastic" parts, I unwittingly left a fully loaded magazine on the roof of my buddies truck after a hunt last season. Amazingly got going 60 mph down the road before I heard a zzzzip across the roof. Looked out the back window to see my magazine cartwheeling down the tarmack at 60 mph, shells flying out and going every which way. Turned around and went back to retrieve it. Aside from a bit of road rash and a few pock marks no structural damage and the mag still functions perfectly. Except for the spring, the 595 mags are made entirely of that "cheap plastic".

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very pleased with my synthetic T3.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Hey Rooms,

This here Tikka .260 is scheduled for some hard hunting this fall. It went some last fall, but Eileen and I had put 10 big game animals in our freezers in 2014, so weren't going to shoot anything unless it was an exceptional trophy. (Saw some nice ones though not THE ones!) But this year we're sort of in between: Could use some meat, thanks to Eileen using quite bit while writing her latest cookbook, but not so much I can't afford to look for a good mule deer--and maybe run into a cow elk along the way.

The .260 will be the No. 1 rifle, even though I haven't touched the trigger (it broke very cleanly at 2.5 pounds right out of the box), and the 6x scope is even in the factory rings. The zero hasn't shifted during considerable load tweaking and longer-range testing, so am guessing it just might work. :-)

Best to you and Karen,

Hey, my good friend, life is great here.

Sawbones dicked a lot with my left knee and it's now in really great shape. Beyond belief, actually.

Loved your "Five Years" book (thank you again) and we dwelt on every single word. E is one hell of a writer and incredibly funny ... you are really GREAT, too :-).

We'll be in Portugal for a couple of weeks in April and will try our very best to find you guys a cook book on Portugee food while we are there (It's different and unreal good).

New dog is settling in and she is probably the finest we've ever found.

Hugs to both of you,

kd and k

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Rooms,

Best to you and Karen,

Nice, interested that you are using the factory rings, I have always tossed them.
What scope are you using?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also what brass are you using
I was wondering if Lapua 308 necked down would have any problems as it is heaps cheaper and more available than 260

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And sorry but I have to ask one more question
It seems the Tikka is far more popular in 6.5x55, any reason you chose the 260 over the swede?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

That's good news on the knee! I am sure Eileen could have fun with some Portuguese recipes; we have experienced some here and there in our travels.

Glad you like Five Years of RLN, and even more glad your new dog is great. It is very hard to lose old 4-legged friends, but it's also very good to make new ones. We lost our two old dogs within less than a year about three years ago, but now we have two others who are wonderful too!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Castle Rock,

Am using a 6x38 Weaver, one of the best bargains in "affordable" scopes around.

One thing I've noticed about scope rings is many people somehow place more faith in rings attached to bases connected to the action with tiny screws, rather than rings connecting directly (and with far more contact) to the action. This doesn't just apply to Tikkas but several other brands. Have had excellent luck with direct-connecting rings on Brnos, CZ's, Rugers and several other rifles I'm forgetting right now.

I chose a .260 because of not shooting one for a while, and already having a couple of 6.5x55's. Because of my job, I must periodically retry various cartridges because of new bullets and, especially, powders, and I hadn't fooled with a .260 in several years. (There are several other 6.5's in the house, ranging from a 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer to a 26 Nosler.)

Can't remember exactly where I ordered it now, but got 100 Lapua cases for a very decent price. Am sure Lapua .308's would work, though you might (but probably not) have to outside-turn the necks a little. I used Lapua .243 brass in my first .260, many years ago, but Lapua didn't offer .260's back then.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
. I'd rather you just chilled your azz out. They are only guns....

Pot meet kettle

Not hardly. I am not the one here who got butt hurt and called someone a dumbass because their opinion differed from mine.

And in regards to your other comment, of course I do not have the Tikka experience of JGR. What part about I do not like/use them did you fail to pick up on? However, I do feel I clearly expressed that I may just have a clue as to what is under the hood, and why I don't like it.

The first time I picked up a Tikka, we took the stock off. The recoil lug fell on the ground. Something I have never experienced before or after with any other rifle brand.

I don't need to drive a Yugo until it breaks down to figure out it is a Yugo. It may in fact never break down, but that isn't the point. I just may not like what I see. Or feel it a solid value. But rest assured, it is an educated opinion. I have done my homework. I have owned 100s of rifles. I just may have a clue as to what makes them tick and what I like and dislike and why. I have been tinkering with guns for over 30 years. There is never not something tore apart lying on my bench waiting for attention.

Which I clearly laid out in no uncertain terms. Facts of the rifle, not opinions. We can all draw our own conclusions as to likes/dislikes from said facts. Not everyone requires the same in a rifle. I get that. But some here don't. Because it works both ways. The OP may or may not like what he sees, once all the facts are presented.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some pics for the guys who don't care about little cartridges in long actions:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3 Action lengths, same little round.

As seen, as action size increases, the little round gets lost in the pictures. Now I realize some just don't care. And that's fine by me. But I find the little mini length Sako and CZ actions pictured to be wonderful things. They make up for light, slick handling, shorter little rifles ( given same barrel length) with stiff actions.What is not to like? I absolutely love them, and cannot think of one good reason why I would want either to be longer. They are made like rifles should be made, IMO.

Like I've said, we all have different tastes and don't all require the same of our rifles. But I hope I am not cosidered a rifle snob for liking a bit more "refinement" than a T3 has to offer......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by efw
Very well put Mojo.

Totally agree.

Jerry

Yep; I just got my first Tikka recently, a T3 Lite in 7-08 which, if I think it could use a little more weight may get a nice Boyd's Prairie Hunter with upgraded wood and checkering.

This is my first SS rifle and I usually go for blued/walnut packages and I really think this thing is slick.

I HATE Tupperware stocks typically but this one doesn't seem bad at all. We'll see!

I am thinking along the same lines.I have had Boyds Prairie Hunter on a couple rifles and really like it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman
2muchgun...

It's blatantly obvious you don't like Tikka's but let me ask you this.....

How many Remington 700s, Savages, Rugers, & Vanguards have you and other people bought that they've had to change out triggers, stocks and even barrels to get them to function or shoot decent? I sure have and so have lots of others.

Lets talk about quality and materials on one of the most popular bolt action rifles sold, the Remington 700, which on average costs more than a T3.

Have you bore scoped many Remington 700 barrels in the past 15 years or so? Check bolt timing? Check receivers for true and checked bolt lugs for engagement? When you have please try again to convince us how superior they are in design and materials. There is a reason 700's are one of the most customized rifles in existence...they require it.

I agree with Col. Whelen....only accurate rifles are interesting. I'd rather have a T3 that functions properly, doesn't need an aftermarket trigger or stock and shoots accurately OUT OF THE BOX (design flaws and all) than many domestic brand rifles.

your mileage may vary...

My mileage has varied. The last 3 700s I bought all shot great OTB. Still do.

They also came with metal magazines, metal shrouds, one piece bolts, steel recoil lugs, short actions, better recoil pads, and stocks at least the equal of a Tikka.

None cost more than a comparable Tikka.

I see Tikkas here all the time with aftermarket rings, recoil pads, shrouds, and stocks. But I think you can say that about pretty much any newer bolt gun....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need to add one more thing about the Tikka experience:

They are very polarizing...

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
does it warrant a 'hate' thread?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
does it warrant a 'hate' thread?

If this is a hate thread, it is a pretty lame/tame one.

I am not upset in the least grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
I was wondering if Lapua 308 necked down would have any problems as it is heaps cheaper and more available than 260

Regarding the Lapua 308 necked down to 260:

I've never tried it in a 260, but I did order 100 a year or two for my two Tikka 7-08s. To be usable, it had to be outside neck-turned. It was REALLY tight if I didn't.

Right after I ordered the 308, I noticed Lapua was making 7-08 specific brass. I wish I would have seen that first. I have a nice Sinclair neck turning tool that just sits in a drawer now....

If it were me, I'd just get the 260 brass and not worry about it.

Last edited by IDMilton; 10/07/16. Reason: spelling

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Regarding the Lapua 308 necked down to 260:

I've never tried it in a 260, but I did order 100 a year or two for my two Tikka 7-08s. To be usable, it had to be outside neck-turned. It was REALLY tight if I didn't.

Right after I ordered the 308, I noticed Lapua was making 7-08 specific brass. I wish I would have seen that first. I have a nice Sinclair neck turning tool that just sits in a drawer now....

If it were me, I'd just get the 260 brass and not worry about it.

Just picked up a T3 in .260. I'm using Lapua and WW 7-08 hulls and sizing for a crush fit. Haven't loaded any bullets yet but have the Forster FL die set up for a production run.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Need to add one more thing about the Tikka experience:

They are very polarizing...

It's the campfire; EVERYTHING is polarizing!

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

And in regards to your other comment, of course I do not have the Tikka experience of JGR.

Silly me I assumed, since you responded to a thread entitled Tikka experience, that you would have some experience to offer.

<forehead smack>

DOE!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Castle Rock,

Am using a 6x38 Weaver, one of the best bargains in "affordable" scopes around.

One thing I've noticed about scope rings is many people somehow place more faith in rings attached to bases connected to the action with tiny screws, rather than rings connecting directly (and with far more contact) to the action. This doesn't just apply to Tikkas but several other brands. Have had excellent luck with direct-connecting rings on Brnos, CZ's, Rugers and several other rifles I'm forgetting right now.

I chose a .260 because of not shooting one for a while, and already having a couple of 6.5x55's. Because of my job, I must periodically retry various cartridges because of new bullets and, especially, powders, and I hadn't fooled with a .260 in several years. (There are several other 6.5's in the house, ranging from a 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer to a 26 Nosler.)

Can't remember exactly where I ordered it now, but got 100 Lapua cases for a very decent price. Am sure Lapua .308's would work, though you might (but probably not) have to outside-turn the necks a little. I used Lapua .243 brass in my first .260, many years ago, but Lapua didn't offer .260's back then.

Thanks for the info
I have pretty much decided to get a tikka in 6.5x55, but your idea of the 260 has me interested
Does the swede have much of an advantage in velocity when loaded to equal levels?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not really. The difference in powder room is only about 2-3 grains, which means a potential increase in velocity of around 1 to 1.5% with both rounds loaded to the same pressure.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

And in regards to your other comment, of course I do not have the Tikka experience of JGR.

Silly me I assumed, since you responded to a thread entitled Tikka experience, that you would have some experience to offer.

<forehead smack>

DOE!

Quit assuming things then. As of now you have contributed ZERO to this thread. Where is the experience that YOU have offered in YOUR 4 replies? All I see is stupid comment after stupid comment from you.

Talk about "pot meet kettle".

You may wanna try practicing what you preach...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

<forehead smack>

DOE!

If you haven't noticed, JGR has talked about killing with the same 2 Tikkas for about as long as he has been on here. 7-08 and 7 mag. Why would you assume that someone who doesn't like them would have equal experience? Would you hunt for over a decade with a rifle you don't like? Pretty poor assumption there.

And I don't need to hunt with a Tikka for 10 years to know what I am looking at. And if you read thread, it should be readily apparent that I have experience with them, for anyone without a learning disability.

I see you just bought your first one. You must be a wealth of knowledge by now laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well...your incessant criticisms and slams certainly indicate you don't "love" Tikka's.

I do not have the Tikka experience of JGR.

And I don't need to hunt with a Tikka for 10 years to know what I am looking at.

"Experience" would give you 'some' credibility IN a thread entitled " Tikka Experience" .

Since you don't have Tikja experience...why would you be so negative OR even comment ?

What's the saying about "open your mouth and remove all doubt"?

....yeah, I'd say you are a hater.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well...your incessant criticisms and slams certainly indicate you don't "love" Tikka's.

I do not have the Tikka experience of JGR.

And I don't need to hunt with a Tikka for 10 years to know what I am looking at.

"Experience" would give you 'some' credibility IN a thread entitled " Tikka Experience" .

Since you don't have Tikja experience...why would you be so negative OR even comment ?

What's the saying about "open your mouth and remove all doubt"?

....yeah, I'd say you are a hater.

Jerry

Is it reading comprehension disability day around here or something?

I clearly said I had experience. Read the damn thread. I said I did not have the experience of a guy who has been using them almost exclusively for over a decade. I don't want to ever have that much experience with Tikkas......

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

I see you just bought your first one. You must be a wealth of knowledge by now laugh

I've offered what I know about em and haven't spouted off. Where did I claim to be a wealth of knowledge about anything? There's only one pompous a$$hole in this thread worthy of honoring himself as such.

Post some more pics and repeat your ramblings some more you're on par with Savage99 right now in completely missing the point.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Tikka is a lightweight precision machine. I've had one for 9 years and just bought my second Tikka. I still have two M70s but don't use them much anymore the Tikka just feels so light, handy, and precise.

You may as well buy a new one, I rarely see a used one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
I've offered what I know about em and haven't spouted off.

Haven't spouted off? You have done nothing but chirp and make stupid comments. You have offered nothing. Zero. Show me something to the contrary.

Although I do believe you when you say you have offered what you know....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So how does your new SS Tikka shoot? Is that this year's deer rifle?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've owned and shot, Tikka Model 65,(30-06) 595,(25.06, 6.5x55) 695,(7 Rem Mag ) and T3's.

All shot well, none were fussy about what they were fed. The older ones were all blued wood and all were slick, smooth and heavy. The weight was the number one reason I no longer own these.

The T3s were a mix of stainless and blued, wood, laminate and synthetic considerably lighter in weight then the older models . 222 Rem, 6.5x55, 338 Federal,.308 Win, .270 and .300 WSM.

Some how the T3s just don't appeal to me, no pizzaz, no soul. So I no longer own any.

The ones that went to friends and family are well used, every fall.

Flyer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

----What part about I do not like/use them----did you fail to pick up on?

I don't need to drive a Yugo until it breaks down to figure out it is a Yugo. I just may not like what I see.

I have re-read, aka suffered thru, TWICE every post of your's in this thread. Please quote yourself about your experience - using/hunting any Tikka.

Above you said you do not like/use them. All of your posts state your disapproval from 'looking' at or examining them. I didn't see one word about experience 'using' any Tikka.

I'll be looking for your quote regarding actual experience from use.

Jerry

ps - let's see now, Mule Deer, kudu dude, shortactionsmoker, and many of us commoners have given testimony from our actual experience with Tikkas.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have zero experience with a Tikka, so this is purely subjective.

I have owned quite a few Tikka's over the years. T3 stainless in 30-06 and 300WSM. A CTR in 260, and a SS/Laminated T3 in 260. A T3 Forest in 260, and a Forest in 9.3x62.

Never fired any of them. Once I had them, I just couldn't like them.

I have little doubt they were accurate as people say. The triggers were very nice. Fit and finish were as expected.

But there was not a single feature of the rifles that made me want to keep them.

The bolts were slick for sure, like the Sauers I have owned. The triggers were nice like my Kimbers.

The stocks were acceptable, equal to a M77 Hawkeye.

The weight of the T3 SS was ok too, like many 700s I have owned.

I don't care much for the long action only thing, but as MD pointed out, there are advantages and disadvantages.

The thought of replacing too many pieces (recoil lugs, bolt shrouds, bottom metal, stocks) seems silly to me.

By the time you do that, you could have just payed a little more up front and got a more refined rifle (a Sako?) to start with.

I am not a hater. I have tried to like them.

Guess part two of my signature line says it all.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it maybe possible for some to ascertain all on their own, that since I basically went over each individual part of the gun, in some detail, and offered why I do not like it, that I just might have experience it? Apparently not.

Or how about a couple of pages ago where I clearly stated that I brought a Tikka home, took stock off, and recoil lug fell out? That not enough either?

Okay, here goes. I am typing this slowly because I know some don't read so well:
Yes I have used a Tikka. Nothing dramatic happened. I didn't like it. I didn't like it before I hunted with it, before I shot it, or after. Please write this down or save it somewhere.

Not going to keep typing just because people can't read or read into everything too far.

People getting butt hurt over guns is hilarious.

How many times have we all heard guys say "Tikkas have no soul." Or refer to them as Plastikka? A lot. You may not agree, but I do. There is simply nothing there for me to like past the barrel and trigger. Deal with it. It is a $350 gun at most, and I would not buy one at that price. Don't know what else to tell you. Gave you all the reasons why. Compare the pieces, part by part, vs. other budget guns. The facts should be readily apparent for those without blinders on. Less gun for more money. Expensive replacement parts and backed by $hitty CS. Period.

They do make Tikkas with all grown up parts on them. They call them Sakos......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
us commoners

This is exactly the butthurt BS I am talking about........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They've been pretty beat up around the fire. I like them, the ergo thing is preference. Haven't seen any failures, although someone will chime in.

But I still bought a Montana. Just had too....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So.... You have absolutely NO quote about experience in this thread EXCEPT for 'looking' at (examining) Tikka rifles UNTIL this post quoted below. You never mentioned any hunting, shooting, or using a Tikka rifle UNTIL...

Yes I have used a Tikka. Nothing dramatic happened. I didn't like it. I didn't like it before I hunted with it, before I shot it, or after. ..

Now we know at least that you did hunt & shoot a Tikka. We have no idea if that was more than ONCE.

This is exactly the butthurt BS I am talking about........

I'm not even close to being "butt hurt" by you. It just took a while for you to say that you actually 'used' a Tikka.

I refer to myself as a commoner 'here' because I don't consider myself in the same category as our Gun Writers and Professionals. That's honesty and not from hurt feelings.

I think the experience of those of us who've used Tikkas for years WITHOUT any problems has more credibility than those who don't like the appearance, feel, & decry 'cheap' parts, in their opinions.

I proved my 2 points. I rest my case. I'm out.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I do not get is why I have to have years of experience in the field with one to form my opinion. Not to sound arrogant, but I do know a thing or two of rifles. I get what I am looking at, and how it works and what it does. If I don't like what I see from the get, I am probably not going to use it much.

And I never used the term "cheap" (that you put in quotes) any where. Quite the contrary. I feel the Tikka should be cheap, or at least cheaper. But it isn't........

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a bunch of Tikkas. They're all I buy these days. I'm all about accuracy. If a rifle shoots little bitty groups, that's true beauty.

I filled my deer tag this year with a 7mm-08 on a buck at 541 yards. My brother used his Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag on a wide 4x4 at 534 yards.

No complaints.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I lost the vision in my right shooting eye. As a retired gunsmith all my rifles were custom. with the loss of my vision I could not shoot most of my rifles because of stock design. The ones I could shoot left handed I could not get use to operation the bolt. I was 72 when my vision went so I had a choice to make. Stop hunting or get left hand rifles. Tikka in 7mag and 7-08 plus a Savage in 308. Money being tight the Tikkas fit my pocketbook. Put new bolt shrouds on them and also raise the combs etc. All shoot under an inch and do everything my custom rifles did for me except they obviously don't look as Pretty. To each his own and also my Daughter has three of them. 7mag, 308 and a compact 7mm-08. All shoot under and inch and the compact doesn't care what you put in it, it is an awesome shooter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems interesting to me that the T3X changes came as direct response from Tikka owners. Remington is still decades into sorting out their triggers.

A fella can walk out of the store with his ammo of choice and a Tikka and not worry if it's going to "like it". They are bullet whores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I do not get is why I have to have years of experience in the field with one to form my opinion. Not to sound arrogant, but I do know a thing or two of rifles. I get what I am looking at, and how it works and what it does. If I don't like what I see from the get, I am probably not going to use it much.

And I never used the term "cheap" (that you put in quotes) any where. Quite the contrary. I feel the Tikka should be cheap, or at least cheaper. But it isn't........

You sound like a fellow that I met at the range with a 3500.00 custom rifle topped with an 1900.00 scope.

He was plumb apoplectic when my straight factory Tikka T3 .243 topped with a Buriis FFII 3-9 in the factory rings shot tighter groups at 300 yards (just under 1 inch groups)than his custom wonder did at 100 yards.

He could not believe something "so ugly and cheap looking" could do that.

Has somebody with a Tikka done that to you too?

Last edited by hillbillybear; 10/07/16.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess my clearly stating that I know they shoot well and lack of accuracy is not why I do not like them still doesn't stop comments like yours, just as it didn't 10 years ago. People only hear what they want to hear around here.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Seems interesting to me that the T3X changes came as direct response from Tikka owners. Remington is still decades into sorting out their triggers.

A fella can walk out of the store with his ammo of choice and a Tikka and not worry if it's going to "like it". They are bullet whores.

What a load of BS. The T3X came about because there were VAST amounts of room for improvement. Told everyone here that over 10+ years ago. Did same with Browning A-Bort. Guess what, they changed it also. What a shock. They call it evolution. LMAO.

This whole statement wreaks of fanboy dribble. Remington triggers are fine. Not one custom gunsmith I have ever talked to had a problem installing an old school Rem trigger or has ever said a bad word about them. They just aren't idiot proof enough.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a side note, I am wondering about the new T3X in regards to the A7. The T3X I saw at Eurooptic was actually priced higher than the Sako A7 I saw. Both SS. The A7 comes with a 5 shot accuracy guarantee. The Tikka a 3 shot guarantee. Will be interesting to see how this pans out, because right now, Sako has a bit of a marketing clusterfuuk on their hands.

I think more people would buy an A7 over a T3X simply because it says Sako on it and not Tikka. The rifle particulars would not be the deciding factor. Much as they aren't with current T3 owners.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own one in 338 win mag. Nice trigger, tight tolerances, the single stack magazine feeds flawlessly, nice finish, bolts cycles smoothly,nice weight and is one of the few rifles I own that I do not load for. Why? Because the factory ammo I first tied shot so well I wasn't going to mess around with it anymore.

I have tinkered with a few things like I do on most rifles I own. Over the last decade I have recommended them to quite a few who have asked my opinion on best value of a hunting rifle.

I don't know anything about it's soul, or who is or isn't butt hurt but I do know mine has been a great rifle and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This thread has turned in to one man's fight against the tyranny of Tikka.

Scott
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
This thread has turned in to one man's fight against the tyranny of Tikka.

Well I am not impressed with them either, but didn't want to say anything in case I got dragged out and put to the stake.

I have owned quite a number LSA55 and M55, and couldn't fault a single one of them.

But I won't take a new one as a gift, same goes for new Sako.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We could argue the accuracy thing all day. I feel there are other guns that shoot just as well. They aren't god's gift to accuracy like some think. Either that or I have just gotten lucky with my bolt guns as far as accuracy goes. I have had 700s, CZs, Savages, Vanguards, Rugers, etc. that all shot exceptionally well.

You should replace the rings with DNZ or something better. So far I have yet to break any of the other cheap things you talk about. You can buy an aftermarket aluminum bolt shroud if you think it is important, I haven't fallen off any cliffs yet so mine hasn't been broken. I like the two tikka's I have but I am on the prowl for a Sako Vixen which should satsfy my desire for a pretty rifle which also shoots well.

Good thing there are many brands to choose from huh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Deflave still has Vixen 222 Rem mag for sale in classifieds. Same gun as mine in the pics a couple pages back......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BeanMan

You should replace the rings with DNZ or something better. So far I have yet to break any of the other cheap things you talk about. You can buy an aftermarket aluminum bolt shroud if you think it is important, I haven't fallen off any cliffs yet so mine hasn't been broken. I like the two tikka's I have but I am on the prowl for a Sako Vixen which should satsfy my desire for a pretty rifle which also shoots well.

Good thing there are many brands to choose from huh?

Won't be of use to you but when I was down in Ararat Victoria last week I wandered into a local sports store and they had a Sako L461 with original heavy barrel and wide fore-end stock in .222 Remington for au $1100.00...the kicker is they also had a couple of hundred factory loaded Sako 222 rounds from the same fellow...I could only see about 30 fired cases, the rest were still factory loads.

Someone is going to get a screaming deal as that is an au $1800.00 rifle any day of the week here.

ps, the store personnel weren't really forearms literate but they were very easy to deal with and did their level best to help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of those. It was the most accurate factory gun I have ever owned. Wish I still had it.

I traded it for a Ruger #1 in 243 IIRC. Back then I did not like little cartridges much...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Personally... the last couple rifles I bought were Montanas or Americans. If I'm going cheap... then I'm going cheap. If I want a killing rifle, then the Montana has few peers.

That being said.... if someone asks for a rifle recommendation.... it's Tikka every time... simply to save myself some hassle. The last couple new Remingtons that buddies bought all needed to have trigger jobs done, chambers polished (1 outta 4 would extract fired brass), bedding work/stock swaps, and "load development". I had to do all that work, to the tune of about 8 hours of my time....

Are there "design flaws" in a Tikka? I guess you could say that.... but none of them have ever caused me, or any other Tikka shooter I know, any issues. Every rifle makes compromises, just as every caliber makes compromises. Glocks are plastic.... and "souless"... but they work every time all the time.

The Tikka CTR .260 in the safe is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.... out of about a hundred... and it's more accurate than every custom I've had built except for a 15lb truck-axle barreled 6.5x47... and even then it's aweful close.

I hear 2MG's complaints/dislikes.... and to him they're deal breakers. To me... and 99 out of 100 people... they make no difference. The fact that everything works well, they're accurate as hell, they're lighter than average, they require no tinkering, and are available in a cornucopia of chamberings... makes them an attractive package for your average Hunter/Shooter.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had one of those. It was the most accurate factory gun I have ever owned. Wish I still had it.

I traded it for a Ruger #1 in 243 IIRC. Back then I did not like little cartridges much...

Works well if you chase up one of the target triggers that came with the bottom metal with the hole in the trigger-bow...there was a fellow in Queensland making up three levers for the early Sako (Madden I think, from memory) but I am pretty sure I got the last one from him in the mid 90's...I ended up putting that on an old Sako with the rounded rear bolt, it sported a Hart barrel in a tight neck 22-250 Improved.
The rifle worked fine on 'roos but I wasn't that keen on the slim wristed stock for shooting out of the Toyota.

Another roo shooter purchased it from me and I believe he still has it.

That barrel was a glorious thing to clean, and shot very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I might get a T3 in .243 after hunting season. I'd like to get it before but I have a hunting trip coming up and want to make sure I have plenty of money for that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would not call them design flaws. Flaws would imply they did not function, IMO. I mean, yes, we have all seen broken shrouds and the occasional bent recoil lug or recoil lug indented into stock or what have you. I could almost consider the lug a flaw, I guess. But I would not run out the door for a hunt expecting one to ruin said hunt. It really truly is a half-assed design though IMO. Geared toward shaving cost, obviously.

The plastic magazines, stocks, and trigger guards work fine and are plenty tough. Just far over priced and somewhat unsightly.

The long action only does bother me. But it isn't a flaw. The bolt is 2 piece but still functions.

The enclosed receiver does bother me, as does rings and mounting options. But they are purposefully built also, and not flaws either IMO......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So now we're arguing semantics?

There's a plethora of scope mounting options..

One in a million lugs might have an issue....

Are Glocks overpriced?

I've seen far more broken parts and replacement parts installed on Remingtons...

At the end of the day... I'd rather have your "half-assed design" executed flawlessly.... than Remington's "excellent" design executed half-assed the way they have been for the past 20 years....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No we are not arguing semantics......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
At the end of the day... I'd rather have your "half-assed design" executed flawlessly.... than Remington's "excellent" design executed half-assed the way they have been for the past 20 years....
Amen to that !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So now we're arguing semantics?

There's a plethora of scope mounting options..

One in a million lugs might have an issue....

Are Glocks overpriced?

I've seen far more broken parts and replacement parts installed on Remingtons...

Do you stop at the traffic lights and pick a fight with everyone that doesn't like to drive the same car as you?

And no you are not arguing semantics, you are arguing personal preference, because at the end of the day that is all it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I feel I have owned more 700s than most. And I have not had problems. I would say so if I did. One broken extractor, and a $hitty sticky gummy bear of a recoil pad are about it.

The newer triggers now suck, thanks to DIYs who should never touch a trigger.

I feel 700s are a bad comparison. I would take any part of a 700 over any part of a Tikka, except the trigger. Barrels being about equal.

And far more replacement parts are available. But most are not needed, just wanted.

When one rifle has millions in circulation, has outsold the other by a HUGE margin in the U.S., it would only go to reason that one would see more problems with the brand that sells way more rifles. But again, the 700 design is a very durable one overall. It is the number one choice of cops and military for a reason, It is the best selling bolt action for a reason. It is the most copied action by custom makers for a reason. It is the most built upon factory action for a reason. It is at best, a poor comparison for a Tikka. This isn't me being a fanboy. I own plenty of other brands. But everything in this paragraph is a fact, like it or not. I have not had any troubles getting a 700 to shoot well. Ever. But I haven't had trouble with a lot of brands.

I am not sure why Glocks come up in regards to Tikka comparisons. Other than having a good amount of plastic, what else is there to compare?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True, most of the arguments on 24hcf are composed of "my opinion is better than your opinion."

Seems like most responders here gave their opinion and then walked away. A few didn't and are arguing opinions.

So here's a little secret of human nature. A man who is secure is his position will state it and walk away. The more insecure someone is about their position or beliefs the more vehemently they will argue to defend that position. Those in the middle of an argument will deny this to Kingdom come, but folks don't argue to convince the other person as much as they argue to try to convince themselves.

He said, after stating his opinion and walking away... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come back here....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just like talking guns Jim. Not trying to tell anyone what to use, or convince them that my opinion carries more weight, only that it is at least an educated opinion.

What bothers me about some rifles, others do not care about. And vice versa. That fact will never change.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What a load of BS. The T3X came about because there were VAST amounts of room for improvement. Told everyone here that over 10+ years ago. Did same with Browning A-Bort. Guess what, they changed it also. What a shock. They call it evolution. LMAO.

This whole statement wreaks of fanboy dribble. Remington triggers are fine. Not one custom gunsmith I have ever talked to had a problem installing an old school Rem trigger or has ever said a bad word about them. They just aren't idiot proof enough.......

Oh boy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I feel I have owned more 700s than most. And I have not had problems. I would say so if I did. One broken extractor, and a $hitty sticky gummy bear of a recoil pad are about it.

The newer triggers now suck, thanks to DIYs who should never touch a trigger.

I feel 700s are a bad comparison. I would take any part of a 700 over any part of a Tikka, except the trigger. Barrels being about equal.

And far more replacement parts are available. But most are not needed, just wanted.

When one rifle has millions in circulation, has outsold the other by a HUGE margin in the U.S., it would only go to reason that one would see more problems with the brand that sells way more rifles. But again, the 700 design is a very durable one overall. It is the number one choice of cops and military for a reason, It is the best selling bolt action for a reason. It is the most copied action by custom makers for a reason. It is the most built upon factory action for a reason. It is at best, a poor comparison for a Tikka. This isn't me being a fanboy. I own plenty of other brands. But everything in this paragraph is a fact, like it or not. I have not had any troubles getting a 700 to shoot well. Ever. But I haven't had trouble with a lot of brands.

I am not sure why Glocks come up in regards to Tikka comparisons. Other than having a good amount of plastic, what else is there to compare?

You and I can agree to disagree about new Remington rifles as well...that is another I refuse to own.

Absolutely no problems with 80's and earlier rifles though (apart from the earliest 17s, and the earliest 40x that were machined before heat treat).

Damn I fit right in here...I am an opinionated old prick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We all can only go by our experience. I have not had the problems with 700s that I read about here. Nor has one ever required special treatment or aftermarket parts to shoot well. I have 3 newer 700s that are pretty much factory. Every one shoots very well. The worst shooting one of the bunch shoots 3/4 moa.

I know Tikkas shoot well also. But going over them part by part, I can't like them. I bet Berettas profit margin on them is really high grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Broad strokes never paint a pretty picture. Individually, I'd say the best launching pad for a 7RM is a R700 and would gladly have a T3 in 6.5 Swede.

But that's just me....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As far as this Remington vs. Tikka thing, I trust European rifles more than American these days. I just do.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I know Tikkas shoot well also. But going over them part by part, I can't like them. I bet Berettas profit margin on them is really high grin

The Tikka is a result of "design-for-manufacture" which compromises the optimal design to result in lower cost of manufacturing.

The AK47 and to a lesser degree, the AR15 are other examples.

The Tikka design does exactly what it was intended to do, so it is a very good design. No flaws.

It just isn't what you would design if you were targeting optimum.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for conversation's sake, how would it be designed if one was targeting optimum, and what would it cost?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just for conversation's sake, how would it be designed if one was targeting optimum, and what would it cost?

No injection molded stock. No dovetailed bolt handle. Not a fatbolt design. An integral recoil lug. Metal bottom metal and bolt shroud. Two or three action lengths. Metal magazines/floorplate that doesn't protrude.

Nice to have a 3-position safety and a non-tubular (flat-bottomed) receiver too.

I'm sure I am missing a few things, but I think that is a fair list.

What would it cost? A M70 Extreme checks those boxes for about $300 more than a Tikka.

Other rifles check less boxes, but have other features that make the compromise worthwhile, like the light weight of a Kimber Montana for about $300 more.

Of course, a Dakota 76 at $3K or so is really close too. wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

The Tikka is a result of "design-for-manufacture" which compromises the optimal design to result in lower cost of manufacturing.

The AK47 and to a lesser degree, the AR15 are other examples.

The Tikka design does exactly what it was intended to do, so it is a very good design. No flaws.

It just isn't what you would design if you were targeting optimum.

I think that's an excellent way to put it.

I really love my custom Mausers & my Kimber but the T3 may fill a niche in my cabinet... we shall see I've waited quite a while because of the "soulless" feel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer 2 position safeties that lock the bolt.

This is why I can't understand these threads. You all have the right to your preferences, as do I. End of 14 year old girl drama.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glock vs. 1911 Part II

Optimum and same as it's always been look a lot alike. Every one of the "optimum" manufactures has done their best to copy T3's and are epic pieces of schit in comparison.

Dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat a Montana. But that's me. And gosh darn it, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and I'm worth it.....

Always funny stuff when the 'fire is in the rut....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Every one of the "optimum" manufactures has done their best to copy T3's and are epic pieces of schit in comparison.

Yes, there is a need for them to compete with the Tikka, but theirs sell for $300.

And I think you're right. Dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat a Montana.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Price a Sako, and you will have your answer....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every one of the "optimum" manufactures has done their best to copy T3's and are epic pieces of schit in comparison.

OK I am just about burned up on this topic. Truly grin

But who exactly do you feel has tried to copy Tikka designs? What manufacturers and what parts? I don't see a whole lot of similarities anywhere really. Or are you just saying in general, by others offering budget lines? But then I do not see much similarities in price of said budget rifles either. Or just don't answer, I don't care......Lol.

And yes, it is always funny.

I just got in from hunting. 5 Deer, no shooters. Hoisted a couple coldies with a bud. Just mowed some food and am chillin' watching what is left of Red Wing/Toronto game and Michigan/Rutgers. Although at 57-0, not much left to see. Michigan has some 3-4 string players in, and may just end up putting in the tcheerleaders before this one ends.

Oops. They just scored again. 64-0 now and almost a full quarter left. Ouch. Michigan vs. Ohio State is gonna be a battle royale...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Yes, there is a need for them to compete with the Tikka, but theirs sell for $300.

And I think you're right. Dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat a Montana.

Funny... there's a Montana, a Tikka, and a "budget" American pictured here from this afternoon.

The Montana .300 WSM shot .55" and .36" groups with the 208 Amax....

The Tikka .260 shot .56" and .57" groups, one suppressed the other naked, with 139 Scenars....

The American .223 didn't come close to those two...

There ain't a Remington left in the house....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

OK I am just about burned up on this topic. Truly grin

But who exactly do you feel has tried to copy Tikka designs? What manufacturers and what parts? I don't see a whole lot of similarities anywhere really. Or are you just saying in general, by others offering budget lines? But then I do not see much similarities in price of said budget rifles either. Or just don't answer, I don't care......Lol.

And yes, it is always funny.

I just got in from hunting. 5 Deer, no shooters. Hoisted a couple coldies with a bud. Just mowed some food and am chillin' watching what is left of Red Wing/Toronto game and Michigan/Rutgers. Although at 57-0, not much left to see. Michigan has some 3-4 string players in, and may just end up putting in the tcheerleaders before this one ends.

Oops. They just scored again. 64-0 now and almost a full quarter left. Ouch. Michigan vs. Ohio State is gonna be a battle royale...

Remi, Winchi, TC, Ruger, all a have similar copies. But what the hell ever. If we were hanging out at a real campfire we'd be talking the same shchit. Do I like them? Sure. Can I take them seriously? Dunno. That's why I bought a Montana.

It's bad ass, even though it's a 270 and soooo gay. Won't kill anything. Never have, never will. Sissy booooolits. Yadda, yadda.....

More good guns these days than schit...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am certainly not brand loyal but take each brand on their merits.

For decades the Rem 700 was the default rifle used to test and hunt many calibers. Back in the day these 700's generally shot well with a few that shot exceptionally well and a couple that wouldn't shoot at all.

In my opinion the 700 is probably the safest design but is a manufacturing nightmare if it is to run with a T3.

Gunsmiths love this because they get to install/tune triggers, square bolt faces, bush bolts, true actions, replace barrels, ensure that the action is square with the recoil lug on one side and ensure the recoil lug is square with barrel on the other. A Rem 700 that is 'blueprinted' is a fine piece of design and engineering. The cost will be high.

This high cost to make it right makes it noncompetitive in the market place. Remington's answer to competition is to rely on the equity generated by decades of good quality control and tight manufacturing specifications.

To be competitive today means something must give and that is the opening up tolerances that at one time would have never left the factory.

The Tikka T3 is a well thought out platform that hits a decent price point that competes with the 700.

However, the performance and quality control can not be matched by a modern 700 at that price point.

I no longer have any 700's, they have been replaced by Sako's and Tikka's. Sako's are hunting tools and the Tikka's are for targets and varmints.

Some say the Tikka's are cheap, the recoil lug is of particular concern, it is a 'return to battery system'designed for function and easy manufacture, the bolt handle in a dovetail slot makes for easy handle replacement if one is looking for a tactical type handle, the magazines are tougher than steel, the actions are square with the barrel, the 'tupperware' stock is very stiff, the triggers are excellent as is for hunting and a Yodave spring transforms it into a target grade trigger, and the barrels in the Varmint weight are on par with anything the aftermarket can come up with, the sporter barrels are not to shabby as well.

The Tikka Tactical in 300WM with a YoDave spring is a <0.4 MOA rig out to 1000+ Yards.
The 223 Rem in a Tikka Varmint with a YoDave spring kills rattle cans at 550 yards with ease.

Also, I have two T3's rebarreled to 6 Dasher, excellent shooters with out spending hundreds of $$$ on making it right.

My decisions are made on performance and cost. Fully understand that some don't like them for aesthetic reasons but then one could default to a Kimber......another excellent piece with a little work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For a rifle that some find having so many faults I find it interesting that the Canadian Rangers chose the T-3 to replace their 70 year old SMLE's. For those not familiar with the Canadian Rangers they are generally First Nations people or other rural dwellers and are affiliated with the Canadian Armed Forces. They specified a rifle for reliability and to stand up to extreme outdoor conditions and after testing have chosen the T-3.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/...maller-more-powerful-new-rifles/ievvvdk2

Google Canadian Rangers Tikka T-3 for more info.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
For a rifle that some find having so many faults I find it interesting that the Canadian Rangers chose the T-3 to replace their 70 year old SMLE's. For those not familiar with the Canadian Rangers they are generally First Nations people or other rural dwellers and are affiliated with the Canadian Armed Forces. They specified a rifle for reliability and to stand up to extreme outdoor conditions and after testing have chosen the T-3.

drover

That's pretty cool. Must be something about Scandinavian rifles. A few years ago I read where Special Forces operating in northern Greenland had every one of their Blaser rifles fail in the cold and they had to purchase Husqvarna's from the villagers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late to this party but if I were in the market for a rifle, Tikka would be my choice.

As said by many: Butter smooth action, good trigger, accurate out of the box and I way prefer a detachable magazine for my hunting.

My sons and grandsons have five of them now, all T3 lites in stainless synthetic for hard core rain forest hunting. You wanna look at it or hunt with it?

We do replace factory rings and screws. They seem soft and only good for one tightening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then you'll really like the T3x, it doesn't come with any rings at all. wink

I'm still using the original factory rings and screws that came with my T3 Lite and haven't had anything loosen, but will say it is a .223 which doesn't stress the mounting system very much and I've never dismounted and remounted the scope. The rings seem okay but the screws sure could be harder. But they did fix that with the T3x - they make you buy your own from the get-go. wink

My new T3x got low Talley lightweights which actually sit a smidge lower than the T3 rings. They'd look really slick and be even lower with that milled out mod that IIRC 16bore did but even without it they look and work just fine.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I replace the factory screws with a harder screws purchased from Ace Hardware, it is less than $2 to replace all 6 of them.
I have often wondered if they do not deliberately use a softer screw to lessen the chance of folks over tightening them and stripping the threads in the rings.

I have never had a problem with the factory rings but the largest caliber I have is a 308,however I know T-3 owners of 7 Rem mag and 300 WSM and they have not had issues either.

I owned three Tikka 595's prior to purchasing my first T-3, they were traditional blued, wood rifles and all shot as well as the T-3's but they were also considerably heavier. For a hunting rifle I prefer the T-3 stainless/synthetic but that is just me.

I purchased my first T-3 in their first year of introduction (2002 ?) and have come to appreciate them for the simplicity of having to do nothing more then adjusting the trigger to my desired weight of pull and mounting a scope. Every Tikka I have owned has been at, or near, half-inch groups for 5 shots with the only thing being done to them is to lower the trigger weight of pull to 2#, which takes less than 5 minutes total time.

As far as changing out bolt shrouds, recoil lugs, or breaking any of the plastic parts - not in my experience.

Easy bolt take-down, bolt locks down when safety is engaged. As far as not being able to top off the magazine without removing it - is that really an issue? If it is then simply carry a spare loaded magazine.

If you want to change a shroud, replace a bolt handle, or a recoil lug they are available and can easily be done by the tinkerer rather than having to have special tools or a gunsmith do it. I suspect that the main reason for most changes is simply that the folks who frequent the 'fire are more apt to simply have to change things.

I own other rifles including Rem 700's, Win 70's and Cooper's but I could easily get by with nothing more than an out of the box T-3.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I own other rifles including Rem 700's, Win 70's and Cooper's but I could easily get by with nothing more than an out of the box T-3.

drover

Agreed. Most could "get by" with a Tikka.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
drover,

Interesting info on the Canadian Rangers and the T3!

I've replaced the soft screws on Tikka mounts myself, in fact I keep a supply of harder screws in a drawer of my scope-mounting workbench because some other brands of mounts can also have soft screws. Years ago one scope-mount manufacturer told me this was not only to prevent over-tightening, but because softer screws don't vibrate loose as often when under-tightened with a poorly-fitting screwdriver.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soft screws bite well and tend to dig in. Kinda like soft bullet jackets. Problem is, it works at both ends. Over tighten, and it is a problem.

And why wouldn't the Canucks choose a T3? They know they have Americans with 700s defending them....😆

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have two older M65 Tikkas in 30-06 from the mid to late 70s and the both hold very close to moa and better. I have a T3 SS in 6.5x55 and it shoots sub moa very consistently with a variety of components.

I love em.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

drover

The Ruger Scout rifle was a very close contender. However the rifle had to be produced in Canada, this particular Tikka is a collaboration with Tikka and Colt Canada.

Of course once you mix this together and the Government is involved the price goes up. Military version with case somewhere north of $4000.00 Canadian.

The civilian version is $2599.00

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flyer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy fuglyness shocked

I wouldn't pay $25.99 for one.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11494834#Post11494834

Anybody here believe me about the $hitty customer service and overpriced replacement parts now?

Keep giving Beretta your money.......

W
wyomike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
WOW!!!! Never expected so many responses. I bought the Tikka.
.243, wood stock. Handles very nice, and in my opinion it's a nice looking rifle. I mounted a Leupold 3-9.Total cost for rifle & scope was $708.00, and I sent in a $50.00 rebate coupon to Leupold, wich brings it to $658.00, but the best part of all this is that the rifle really shoots. I had some old brass, and Speer 6mm bullets laying around and loaded some up, and went to the range. .75 @ 100 yards,and it wasn't the greatest day for shooting. If you live or have ever been to central Wyoming, you know what it's like. Wind, wind, and more wind.
A friend of mine has a Seminol elk tag, so I'm going with him in the morning. Hopefully the winds will calm down and I'll try some different loads in the Tikka towards the end of the week.
Wyomike

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got a decent deal. Glad you went with the wood stock also...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Price a Sako, and you will have your answer....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11494834#Post11494834

Anybody here believe me about the $hitty customer service and overpriced replacement parts now?

Keep giving Beretta your money.......

The thread you reference is about a Sako A7 with "overpriced replacement parts". So now I'm a bit confused about your stance here - is Sako "optimum" or not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be honest, Jim, the tupperware A7 wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I said Sako. I forgot they even made the thing. Same material stock as the Tikka on that......?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either way though, Sako replacement parts are just as ridiculously over priced, slow to get, and backed by same $hitty CS....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Funny... I gotta buddy who's .300 Winny is on its THIRD trip back to Remington.... the last time they had it it took 3 months to get it back, only to have the exact same failure to extract the first time he shot it. Remington said he was crazy.... literally, he's done with them.... my guess is forever.

I gotta Tikka with a bad trigger in it once, gun would only go off about 30% of the time. I had a brand new one in 3 days.... with a call slip to ship the other one back....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you got lucky. This guy got boned twice by Beretta. Nothing new. Been going on for years....

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=49137.0

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by wyomike
WOW!!!! Never expected so many responses. I bought the Tikka.
.243, wood stock. Handles very nice, and in my opinion it's a nice looking rifle. I mounted a Leupold 3-9.Total cost for rifle & scope was $708.00, and I sent in a $50.00 rebate coupon to Leupold, wich brings it to $658.00, but the best part of all this is that the rifle really shoots. I had some old brass, and Speer 6mm bullets laying around and loaded some up, and went to the range. .75 @ 100 yards,and it wasn't the greatest day for shooting. If you live or have ever been to central Wyoming, you know what it's like. Wind, wind, and more wind.
A friend of mine has a Seminol elk tag, so I'm going with him in the morning. Hopefully the winds will calm down and I'll try some different loads in the Tikka towards the end of the week.
Wyomike

That's a good deal, and I'm sure that rifle is going to work well for you for a very long time.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
wyomike, that rifle should server you well, and I agree that is a good deal. Just think, that rifle will shoot so well, so quickly, with most anything you wish, you'll be out killing stuff while 2muchgun is still running his mouth about it.

An argument is a piss poor substitute for experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still crying?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Schidt...

I've had a few Tikkas and they have been incredible shooters despite me not wanting to admit how good they are/were.

Tikka T3 SL in .223. Ten shot group with a cold bore flyer. (Most likely me.)
[Linked Image]

Tikka .270 WCF would do this more often than not with 140 Bergers. Damn things kill deer pretty good.

[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds like you got lucky. This guy got boned twice by Beretta. Nothing new. Been going on for years....

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=49137.0

I think you hate Tikka like Jud and Fred hate 'stick..... it's bordering on obsession man.... just let it go.

For someone who "doesn't care".... you sure are spending a lot of time defending your seriously dissenting opinion.

Pretty funny how "customer service" is now your lynchpin argument.... do you only use Vortex optics? I mean after all.... their product may suck balls.... but their customer service is top-notch!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Over the years have had 12 (or more) different Tikka's and all but one was super accurate that one I sent off to JES and had it rebored to 35 Whelen now it shoots 200 T-TSX's to under a inch.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not just customer service. The rifle is made up of parts I don't like and/or trust. Couple that with ridiculously priced replacement parts and crappy CS, well it just would not make much sense for me to buy one, now would it?

I don't buy Vortex.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP bought his rifle....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Lite in .270 and one in 30-06. I bought the 30-06 for an Elk Hunt and after that I bought the .270 for Deer. I have not missed a shot, yet. Both perform terrifically. As for as those who complain about their customer service, I say, if you had a weapon for 5 years, and never had a failure, what do you care about customer service? I traded in my 700's for these because I could not get a good group with them. Now my groups are perfect, right out of the box.
I don't know how much more you can expect from a reasonably priced rifle.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Still crying?

How did you know?

It's quite entertaining......watching you run your mouth pretending to know what you're talking about.

I've actually been doing this.....

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Speaking of Tikka experiences, I posit a question:

I wouldn't mind getting a Tikka in 6.5x55 or 260. I shoot lefty, and the only ones I see are the Hunter models with the wood stocks. I'd prefer a synthetic stock.

Will the Hunter model barreled actions fit in a regular T3 Lite or T3X Lite stock? And does Tikka or Beretta sell the T3X stocks separately?

Thanks for any help.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Umm, I've been hunting pretty harsh conditions with a tikka T3 for going on 11 years now. I've not had a single failure or problem and the rifle shoots great.

Had I never hunted with the rifle I likely would be inclined to not give an opinion.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2muchgun, Although I disagree with you I will give you credit for one thing and that is sticking to your guns and not running from the fight.

On the other hand I would much more like to be with JGRaider in west Texas hunting mule deer with a couple of beautiful and accurate Tikkas!

I hope you shot that buck or plan to. Tall good looking buck.

Last edited by southwind; 10/11/16.
I grew up hunting with Tikka made in my neighbor country, after I moved to the US I continue hunting with Tikka. I am sticking to the great Nordic caliber of 6.5x55 to boot. Here is my 140gr Accubonds loaded with Norma URP dialed in with my scope, and last group next to the quarter. Only accurate rifles are interesting

[Linked Image]

Norsk 6.5x55 enthusiast.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DELGUE

I wouldn't mind getting a Tikka in 6.5x55 or 260. I shoot lefty, and the only ones I see are the Hunter models with the wood stocks. I'd prefer a synthetic stock.

Will the Hunter model barreled actions fit in a regular T3 Lite or T3X Lite stock? And does Tikka or Beretta sell the T3X stocks separately?

Thanks for any help.

They do sell them, I think through Brownells. They're VERY proud of them. If I was to pay that much, I'd look at B&C, Manners, or McMillan.

You can generally pick up a used take off for $50-$100 in the classified.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True, most of the arguments on 24hcf are composed of "my opinion is better than your opinion."

Seems like most responders here gave their opinion and then walked away. A few didn't and are arguing opinions.

So here's a little secret of human nature. A man who is secure is his position will state it and walk away. The more insecure someone is about their position or beliefs the more vehemently they will argue to defend that position. Those in the middle of an argument will deny this to Kingdom come, but folks don't argue to convince the other person as much as they argue to try to convince themselves.

He said, after stating his opinion and walking away... wink

^^^ +1

Though sometimes I may fall into the insecure crowd. To me it's like arguing politics or the benefits of cannabis (which acquaintances like to bring up).

I like my old Remington's, my old Winchester's, Springfield's and my M1 Garand.

Accuracy is important but not all-important. The rifle I dislike the most is my 783. If accuracy was everything, I'd like it. But that is about all I like about it. The Mauser 98's and Springfield's are hard to beat for smooth functioning and for reloading etc. If it were just for accuracy they would still be OK, but they would not be the best.

I dislike almost all factory plastic stocks, though I've added Kevlar stocks to a few rifles.

The only triggers I really do not like are the ones with a second metallic piece hanging down to 'set' the trigger (such as the 783, the American and the Savage rifles)

Oh yes, I like my wife's left handed wooden stocked Tikka.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have an older 595 Whitetail Hunter in 280 that has a really nice piece of wood on it. Great trigger and shoots better than I can. Haven't owned a newer model.

`Bring Enough Gun`
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by DELGUE

Thanks for any help.

They do sell them, I think through Brownells. They're VERY proud of them. If I was to pay that much, I'd look at B&C, Manners, or McMillan.

You can generally pick up a used take off for $50-$100 in the classified.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This thread convinced me I needed a soulless rifle. Picked up a 308 yesterday.

First impressions are it's bad ass.

[Linked Image]

Scott
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice Scott.... I've worked with at least a half-dozen CTRs.... they're easily the most accurate factory guns I've ever seen.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Never owned a Tikka, but have many Sako's. They are my favorite rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My T3 Hunter (5.5X55) had its stock interior waterproofed by the gunsmith who sold it to me. I'll admit I don't live in an especially wet region, but it has never been a problem.
And yes, it's very accurate.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I ran a CTR in 308 at the GAP Grind two weeks ago. It more than held its own against some serious race guns out there, outshooting 3/4's of the amateur division. I was hindered more by the 308 caliber than anything else. Past 500 yards it just got bucked around more than the 6mm and 6.5 guys.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To the OP:

If the asthetics of the rifle are fine with you, you'll most likely like the rifle. I think most of the complaints are about things that really don't affect function to any reasonable extent. In the most important areas to me, (good accuracy with a majority of loads, reliability, and durability) I've found the Tikka is hard to beat. I've had and have a lot of different rifles, but the Tikka SL 30-06 has become my go-to, hands down. They're great out-of-the-box user rifles that generally don't have to be tinkered with and I don't worry about keeping "nice" when hunting in places that are tough on "pretty" rifles, which is pretty much the norm where I am.

As an aside, they're also the only rifles I've loaded for (four different Tikkas for myself and others) that would consistently shoot 30 cal. 150 E-Tips sub MOA, and that was with a load work up of exactly one load. I've worked with that bullet in at least five other rifles with a lot of different loads, and never got consistent results from it in any single rifle, let alone four rifles with one load.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thought I would share my most recent experience with a new Tikka T3X in 308, this morning as a matter of fact!

I am a southpaw thus stainless synthetic guns are harder to come by. My only S/S rifle for many years was a Rem 700 stainless in a Mickey stock, 300 WM. Then I picked up a used T3 Lite in 270 Win and WOW, an excellent shooter. Found another T3 Lite in 243 and again an excellent shooter.

Fast forward to this summer when I won a raffle for a rifle, $800 towards any gun of my choice. Since my current 308 is a Rem 700 blued gun with a synthetic stock I thought a new T3X Lite in 308 was my calling.

So after shortening the stock to my LOP, reshaping the butt pad to fit and putting a custom brown paint job with black, silver and gold webbing it was time to try her out. I mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold, bore sighted and went to town!

First load after dialing it in was 3/4 inch with 180 Sierra handloads. Then I stepped down to some 165 Hornady, gun did not like those with groups around 2 inches. Next up were some 150 grain old style Speer GS, again about 2 inches. I was a bit disappointed.

Then I tried some Nosler 150 PT's and the WOW factor was back with groups once again under 3/4 inches. Then my last load was some Hornady 150 SST loads and I was rewarded with 3 shot clusters touching most of the time.

So I am a happy camper as the 150 Nosler PT does very well and should handle any hunting I want to do with a 308!

Guess I am at odds on opinion with 2muchgun as I like Tikka's and Leupold 2.5x8 scopes.....lol....

Just wanted to add that NONE of these loads were worked up for this rifle but were simply loads I had on hand for the Rem 700 mentioned. I very seldom load for maximum anymore. All these loads were about 2 grains under max for the 700 and none exhibited any pressure signs in the Tikka.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/24/16.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Perfect timing.
My grandson is a south paw and I want to get him a 243 synthetic stainless. It seems Tikka/ American are the only options, and the American has a 12.5" lop if I get the compact, 18" barrel version.

Curious how easy it was to shorten the LOP on the Tikka, and what is the new LOP? I would want to start at 12.5" for now, but probably need a spacer in 5 or so years.

BTW, The tikka looks to be $200 more than the Ruger American.

Thanks

Allen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
At $200 more, it's a bargain.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
My LOP is 13 1/4 inches. It was not hard, standard cut for the stock. I cut it close with a band saw and finish it with a disc sander. I wanted to use the stock pad as it is a pretty good one. Had to get a bit creative there and sand the lip off the pad where it goes against the stock. Have to be careful sanding the pad when finishing as the rubber is pretty soft.

I am no expert but it came out really nice and took me about 2 hours from start to finish.

Painted it after the stock work with Krylon Fusion paint, added the webbing. You then have to wait 7 days to clear it.

Now that all said, you are talking another 3/4 inch. I am not certain that is doable. I am leaving now for a funeral in Ohio, more later.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/24/16.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just a followup on the T3X stock. You are talking about another 3/4 inch from what I did. There is one thing that concerns me.

After cutting the stock and modifying the buttplate, while checking for fit I noted I could not get the screws for the buttplate all the way in. My initial fix was to simply drill the holes where they screw in a bit deeper, but something in there was hard and resistant to my drill, I was expecting soft plastic. So I ceased with that idea, only needed about 1/8 inch, so I simply shortened the screws and that worked perfectly.

So I am unsure of what lies deeper in those channels that are used to hold the screws for the buttplate, maybe some kind of metal for reinforcement? Just suggest that you proceed with caution and be aware of what I noted.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thank you for the additional information.

Allen

T
Campfire Member
Online Happy
Campfire Member
T
I pickup a Tikka T3x SS in .308 win. Much to my surprise the new T3x DONOT come with scope rings like the older T3. Had I known that I would have order rings when I ordered the scope. Still a good gun. Fortunately I had scope rings left over from my T3 .223 Varmint gun that I can used until another order is placed with Midway.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.