Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
saw this have no idea what he fired in it to do this.

crappy low level customer service, DPMS is better per my experience.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/28/broken-palmetto-state-upper/

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dang sure looks like a cartridge issue to me.

I've never had an issue with service from either one you mention. DPMS used to be really cheapy flimsy junk type stuff years ago, they have come strides over the years.

I've yet to see anything like the photo there of the gun, be caused by anything but ammo related.

As to PSA, I'd have at least communicated that they find no fault in their side of this... and not knowing the ammo etc... no liability.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW one time we saw something similar, was 30 years ago, a tightwad bought a bunch of LC ball, tarnished badly... cheaply...

Put it in a tumbler for a couple of DAYS to clean it up.

Our supposition is it wore off the retardant off the powder and changed the burn rate.... boom....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yes, that looks like a classic over-pressure situation. The case has welded itself to the chamber and the case blew out at the unsupported web (notice the brass "dust"). I'm surprised that the poster would even send it back to PSA. Shame on them for not giving him a response though.

Originally Posted by rost495
BTW one time we saw something similar, was 30 years ago, a tightwad bought a bunch of LC ball, tarnished badly... cheaply...

Put it in a tumbler for a couple of DAYS to clean it up.

Our supposition is it wore off the retardant off the powder and changed the burn rate.... boom....

That makes sense. Another possibility is that the powder grains themselves were broken down by the extreme vibration. The surface area of the propellant grains increases as they break down. The mass flow rate of the propellant charge (how quickly the "gas" is produced), is proportional to the total surface area. So increased surface area equals increased mass flow rate, and the chamber pressure goes up.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep a cartridge issue.

That said, I have read too many complaints on PSA (shipping time, communication, quality) and no longer use them.

With all the new companies sprouting up claiming mil spec quality, I remember a conversation with a guy who used to work for Colt. He said he rejected several lots of parts over his time with Colt but those parts were sold to other companies and resold as "from the same supplier that Colt uses".

Not that Colt is the end all but you get what you pay for.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Two sides to every story but my guess is that Palmetto is better off without that customer.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have ordered from PSA a few times and have had no problems with them or what they sell.

Can't fault a maker when a dumbazz blows up a gun.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I order ammo from them but no guns nor components of guns.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Two sides to every story but my guess is that Palmetto is better off without that customer.

My take as well.

I've ordered a bunch of AR stuff from them and have pretty much always been satisfied. My only issues were a tight 308 chamber and sometimes slow shipping, which is fine when it's expected ahead of time.

I'll continue to buy stuff from them, and don't plan to blow up my rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have daily deliveries from PSA. have nothing bad to say about them.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, they are usually slow on shipping, but they have good sales on decent stuff. I'll keep using them.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I doubt that was an issue with their item. I have had .good experience with their lowers.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bought a PA10 from them that would not lock the bolt back, sent it to them, they replaced the upper and took care of shipping. Gun runs very well now, and I have had no problems since the swap. Only issue I have with a 16" barreled .308 is that the benches next to me clear when I'm shooting it, it does bark a bit.

Old70

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Yep a cartridge issue.

That said, I have read too many complaints on PSA (shipping time, communication, quality) and no longer use them.

With all the new companies sprouting up claiming mil spec quality, I remember a conversation with a guy who used to work for Colt. He said he rejected several lots of parts over his time with Colt but those parts were sold to other companies and resold as "from the same supplier that Colt uses".

Not that Colt is the end all but you get what you pay for.

That was very common on parts years ago. Plus the fact that Colt may have been selling ok parts, but ones that just didn't meet their specs, similar to what another big name has done. Some builders are more picky about stuff than others.

Funny part, my colt had the worst trigger and least accuracy of all the assembled guns I've ever bought. That said it was the most well built non custom and solid feeling gun AR wise I've bought also. If I replaced the triggers and could accept the accuracy, and for the cost difference, especially if you ever even consider resale, which I never do, Colt is by far a great start.

But these days there is no reason to take bad service. Not with as many vendors as there are.

Even Model 1 Sales started selling stuff that was serviceable at some point, and fairly accurate.

Still I got quite a bit of blem stuff from PSA and probably will continue to, I've yet to have an issue.

Jeff

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've bought AR stuff and ammo. No complaints from me.

I do find it a bit odd they were not responsive on that kaboom. Likely more to the story.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jimmyp
saw this have no idea what he fired in it to do this.

crappy low level customer service, DPMS is better per my experience.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/28/broken-palmetto-state-upper/

What would you want them to do besides tell the owner he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a firearm for the safety of him and others.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
a polite reply is always warranted from any vendor.

Dear Sir, we are sorry that you blew your gun up.

Unfortunately as this is an overload or plugged barrel explosion and we cannot repair your gun at no charge. If you would like it repaired please send us a check for $350.....etc.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Other than the fact this is on the internet, what guarantee that all as stated is legitimate is there? Seems like some could be riding a dead pony.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You can't post anything untrue on the internet, Al Gore made sure of that when he invented it.

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
I've bought AR stuff and ammo. No complaints from me.

I do find it a bit odd they were not responsive on that kaboom. Likely more to the story.

Their reply probably went into the guy's junk folder.

Oops! blush

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,316
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.