Hop To
#11484279 10/06/16
J
jmo1754 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
So trying to find a bullet to shoot both whitetails and moose with. yes I get it that hunting whitetails with a 375 is bit much but I don't believe in over kill.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Have a look, not a single bad bullet in the bunch.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10853251/1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I load my 375 H&H up with 260 gr. partitions. These are the second's from SPS, but they shoot damn well in my rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jmo1754
So trying to find a bullet to shoot both whitetails and moose with. yes I get it that hunting whitetails with a 375 is bit much but I don't believe in over kill.

I do not hunt whitetails, but do use 375's on moose with Barnes 270 grain TSX. However, I certainly would have no hesitation shooting whitetails or most anything else with the 270 grain TSX.

Being very satisfied with TSX performance, I would also look at the 250 TTSX.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
jmo1754, While I am an unapologetic fan of Barnes bullets, at H&H velocities, you could do far worse the the Hornady 270 SP. I used them for years in my H&H. They're relatively inexpensive, very accurate (at least in my rifle), and I never had a core/jacket seperation(that I'm aware of). I've used them on Pronghorn,Mule Deer,Black Bear, Elk, and Shiras Moose. Oh, they've worked well on quite a few Jack Rabbits,Prarrie Dogs,Coyotes, and probably some other stuff I can't remember! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
jmo1754, While I am an unapologetic fan of Barnes bullets, at H&H velocities, you could do far worse the the Hornady 270 SP. I used them for years in my H&H. They're relatively inexpensive, very accurate (at least in my rifle), and I never had a core/jacket seperation(that I'm aware of). I've used them on Pronghorn,Mule Deer,Black Bear, Elk, and Shiras Moose. Oh, they've worked well on quite a few Jack Rabbits,Prarrie Dogs,Coyotes, and probably some other stuff I can't remember! memtb

Sounds like the perfect bullet to me. Good thing I have a couple boxes of them. Haven't tried them yet though..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
bsa, I initially tried them in my .375 AI, but found(IMO) that penetration suffered in close range shots. I think that with the increased velocity they expanded quickly and violently, losing approx. 35% of their original weight. They had picture perfect mushrooms,and did not have core/cup seperation (presumably due to the interlock). But, with early expansion and weight loss,they lost sectional density and then penetration suffered. Great on the "perfect" broadside shot, but I don't always get those! I wouldn't hesitate to continue using them in my H&H, but in my AI it's Barnes only. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good info there. I'll get around to trying those. I've always been a big interlock fan. I'm sure they will shoot pretty accurately too.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I load my 375 H&H up with 260 gr. partitions. These are the second's from SPS, but they shoot damn well in my rifle...

This^ (or even the 300). Either will expand just fine, even on deer, and neither will explode in a 'worst-case-scenario' if you should happen to hit one of the big bones in a moose shoulder. The Interlocks can work well, and I have seen "eat-up-to-the-hole" instances with them on caribou. But I have also seen them get pretty shredded and fail to fully penetrate when used on seals (which would have been less that 200 pounds.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IIRC, 300 NPT's in the .375 H&H had a less than stellar reputation on DG. Don't remember the details. Maybe someone with a better memory could comment.

Maybe on lighter critters they'd be OK.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
IIRC, 300 NPT's in the .375 H&H had a less than stellar reputation on DG. Don't remember the details. Maybe someone with a better memory could comment.

Maybe on lighter critters they'd be OK.

DF

They can be stopped by moose...

[Linked Image]

And even if they're only twice as good as a cup and core, that still doesn't make an Interlock a better choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything in Alaska.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of the Speer 235 and also just got some Barnes 235 TSX's that I'm anxious to try. Given the criterion of one bullet for both, I'd probably lean towards the Barnes for the two I'd mentioned.

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pick a bullet for moose and don't worry about deer any 375 bullet will work for deer. Or use the 235 grain bullets for deer and match it with any 250-270 grain bullet for moose. The 375 is usually easy to get different bullets to shoot to close to the same point of aim as it was designed to work in double rifles.

The only 375 bullet I was disappointed with was the 260 BT but Nosler wisely converted this to an Accubond.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
For me, that bullet is the 250 gr. Barnes TTSX. Fast, flat shooting, and with typical Barnes penetration and expansion. If they shoot well in your rifle, you won't need anything else.

I have used this bullet on everything from the little Springbok thru Sable, Wildebeest, and Lion, and it works perfectly.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
250 gr. Bitterroot because I know it works,and i have a bunch of them.

If I did not I'd use what Bighorn suggested or a NF of the same weight.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This^ (or even the 300). Either will expand just fine, even on deer, and neither will explode in a 'worst-case-scenario' if you should happen to hit one of the big bones in a moose shoulder. The Interlocks can work well, and I have seen "eat-up-to-the-hole" instances with them on caribou. But I have also seen them get pretty shredded and fail to fully penetrate when used on seals (which would have been less that 200 pounds.)

This is good info. If I ever need to shoot a seal, I'll know not to use the interlock... I'll bet a 200gr. partition in a 30-06 would work well enough on a seal though... Sorry, let's get back to the 375 stuff. Interesting indeed...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used 260 grain Nosler Partitions loaded to 2710 fps in my 375 H&H in Africa on Impala (whitetail) and Kudu (moose). I wouldn't hesitate to use it again; 200 yard shot on Impala and 270 yards on a trotting Kudu. This shoots with the trajectory of a 30-06 for longer ranges.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.