-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over time I've gotten to where if a new rifle is really accurate I try to leave it alone. My T3 223 is in that category. I don't like the stock but it has been the most accurate out of the box or modified 223 I've owned. Are owners that have restocked the synthetic stock models getting the same kind of accuracy they had before with aftermarket synthetic stocks?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Over time I've gotten to where if a new rifle is really accurate I try to leave it alone. My T3 223 is in that category. I don't like the stock but it has been the most accurate out of the box or modified 223 I've owned. Are owners that have restocked the synthetic stock models getting the same kind of accuracy they had before with aftermarket synthetic stocks?

I am, my T3 Superlite 7MM-08 now sits in a McMillan Hunters Edge and is scary accurate with factory ammo. Like everyone else says they are hard to get excited about, don't really care for the factory stock but it is pretty good. But when it comes to shooting they do impress.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wyomike,

Sounds like the very few "negative reports" you've gotten so far have primarily been from shooters who still haven't accepted synthetic stocks, and maybe not even Remington 700's, though both have been around for decades.

Apparently they believe that if they do some Internet-pounding on any "modern" rifle that doesn't fit their vision, then the new rifles will go away. Stores will suddenly be filled with pre-'64 Model 70's, or perhaps 8mm Lebels, or whatever their definition of a "real" rifle happens to be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on now JB.

There are actual legit reasons, IMO. Tikka has even decided to address some of those issues with the newer model coming out. Maybe that is why this one is so cheap? On closeout maybe due to new model? I don't know.

There are reasons that have been documented right here for over 10 years now. Same with the Browning A-Bolt, in which they also decided to address said issues with the X-Bolt.

Tikkas are good shooters, and will serve most buyers well. But they are not for everyone.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll go out on a limb -- and probably catch a little heat for this, but...

...as a whole (not just a sample of one), I consider the Tikka T3 to be the most accurate production rifle available on the market today.

Some may not like the plastic mag. I didn't consider the aluminum lug or plastic bolt shroud to be appealing either, but they've changed those parts on the T3X.

There isn't a less fussy rifle on the market, period. They're excellent tools.

This doesn't mean that I'm in love with them...but I don't mind owning a few either!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Admire them, but they don't suit my Johnson Administration era sense of style. I might just go wild and crazy someday and give one a try.

The new X-models are an improvement in several areas, including looks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No heat here. IMO, though, they made the changes for a reason. Like I stated, stuff many of us have griped about for over a decade. I always considered them a budget rifle with a non budget rifle price. They really aren't that cheap, given the corners cut. Are the improved models more expensive now?

I like my short action rounds housed in short actions. As for accuracy, there are plenty of guns priced less than the Tikka that shoot well. I have owned Vanguards and Savages that drive nails. And I hear the new Americans aren't too shabby either.

Another thing I don't care for is the price of factory parts. They are way over priced. And since Beretta took over, customer service has been horrible IME.

Like I said, everyone has their own tastes, and they are not for everyone. Some obviously love them....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been shooting them for over 17 years, going back to the Tikka 695. Nothing in their price range can match the accuracy, durability, and ease of use, all of which have been proven to me, by me. Research area: 200 big game animals later, from Sonora MX to South Africa and Namibia, and many states here in the US.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Very well put Mojo.

Totally agree.

Jerry

Yep; I just got my first Tikka recently, a T3 Lite in 7-08 which, if I think it could use a little more weight may get a nice Boyd's Prairie Hunter with upgraded wood and checkering.

This is my first SS rifle and I usually go for blued/walnut packages and I really think this thing is slick.

I HATE Tupperware stocks typically but this one doesn't seem bad at all. We'll see!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My T3 Lite is going on close to 3k rounds through it w/ out a problem. The trigger is good and the action is slicker than buttered slugs. Mine is in 308W and was purchased as a truck gun. It has far exceeded my expectations.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Nothing in their price range can match the accuracy, durability,

Like I said, I have had plenty of rifles that shoot great. Not sure why Tikka shooters feel that Tikkas are the only very accurate rifles made. Reminds me of Savage shooters. Maybe because that is all they have to go on. That said, accuracy has nothing to do with why I don't buy Tikkas.

If you feel that recoil lug, plastic shroud, and mounting system are the most durable ones made, well,..........OK grin Better call Tikka and tell them to change them all back.

I don't think Tikka made all the recent design changes to fix things that weren't broken. But I DO feel that the improvements made make the new Tikka T3X a much more viable option than it's predecessor. Although I haven't priced them so....

JMO.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had about 1/2 dozen over the years. Never had one that wasn't very accurate out of the box. Still have a couple and the only reason I ever got rid of any of them, is like many, I found something I just couldn't live without.

Texas bred and born
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Like I said, I have had plenty of rifles that shoot great. Not sure why Tikka shooters feel that Tikkas are the only very accurate rifles made. Reminds me of Savage shooters. Maybe because that is all they have to go on. That said, accuracy has nothing to do with why I don't buy Tikkas.

JMO.....

99% chance you'd be most definitely wrong.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
People complain about the tupperware stocks... Granted they're not a McMillan but they're 100% better than the junk tupperware stocks that Remington, Winchester, Savage and Ruger puts on their rifles.

People complain about the bolt shroud and the recoil lug. My rifles have thousands of rounds fired and I've not had a problem yet.

People complain about the closed ejection port receiver....A closed port action is more rigid/stronger and in many cases more accurate than an open port receiver. Remington 788s were know to be more accurate than 700 actions.

There are better made rifles an T3s and there are also a LOT worse made and less accurate ones that compare in price.

Tikka's aren't the only rifles I own but my experience owning 4 of them has been that ON AVERAGE Tikka's will shoot circles around most domestic brand rifles. So will Steyrs.

Last edited by Ghostman; 10/06/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

JMO.....

99% chance you'd be most definitely wrong.

YEP, of ALL the rifles I have & have had, I only have 1 Tikka, 13 years.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
2muchgun,

A little over a year ago I was in the Tikka factory, listening to the changes being made for the T3x. They were primarily made because some shooters wanted them, not because there were vast, across-the-board problems with the T3. The major requests were from the relatively few shooters who wanted softer recoil pads and stiffer recoil lugs for harder-kicking rifles, but tens of thousands of T3's have been working for a long time now without any problems--including a T3 Lite in 7mm Remington Magnum a friend bought a number of years ago for hunting this part of Montana. He hunts hard and shoots quite a bit and nothing has gone wrong with his rifle, despite often hunting in temperatures below zero.

The other factor that went into the changes was profitability. The demand for Tikkas has been growing very steadily, and the U.S. is by far the largest market. So they could afford to make some changes if that's what some customers wanted.

Yes, there are a bunch of accurate, affordable rifles out there today. I've owned and do own a number of Savages and Ruger Americans, but while their triggers are OK, they do not compare to Tikka triggers. The accuracy of Savages and Rugers is normally better than average to very good, but on average they do not match Tikkas right out of the box. Few rifles do. I would also rate the T/C Venture as better out of the box than Ruger AR's and the cheaper Savages, because the trigger and stock are also better, but the Tikka is definitely a step up from there--which is why there's some difference in price for all four rifles.

Personally, I don't care whether a rifle chambered for a "short-action round" uses a short action, especially when there's so little difference is action weight in typical modern cylindrical actions. In fact I kind of prefer short rounds in longer actions, because there tends to be more flexibility in seating bullets--and if the magazine isn't quite long enough, it can often be easily swapped for a longer magazine. But I do find most arguments for short actions pretty much irrelevant; there are more details why in the column Rick posted a couple of days ago at the head of this forum.

The latest Tikka to show up here was one of the T3 Lite .260 Remingtons offered a Whittaker Guns run last year. The trigger was superb out of the box, unlike the triggers on Savages and RAR's, and it's superbly accurate with almost any load, including Remington Core-Lokt factories. It also weighs only 6-3/4 pounds with scope, which I happen to like since so much of the hunting country around my home is steep and high--and I'm not particularly young anymore. So far it just keeps plunking 140-grain Accubonds into the same tiny groups, which is one reason it will be the rifle I plan to do most of my local hunting with this year--and I do have plenty of choices.

If it wouldn't be your choice for any hunting, well fine, the world also offers plenty of choices. But don't try to convince me Tikkas don't work well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Stores will suddenly be filled with pre-'64 Model 70's, or perhaps 8mm Lebels, or whatever their definition of a "real" rifle happens to be.

That is really going to happen now, since BassProShops bought Cabelas.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw an 8mm Lebel the other day at the LGS.

I was close.

Really close....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If an 8mm Lebel in decent condition showed up at my local shop, I'd definitely be interested. But that doesn't mean all smokeless rifle development stopped in 1886!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me, too, but only if it was a fast twist...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.