-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Here in Pa our largest dealer has it in a sale flyer at $316 for blued black plastic stock went to get one "out of stock".
Wasn't able to back order. Like hunting big foot.

GB1

S
S
When you said not in catalog I called Mossberg they said it will not be available until next year "We are still working on it."

I hope they do realize this could be a seller if they get it fixed.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

S
S
Well I missed the one on gun broker but last month on a chance call to local dealer they had received a small quantity of the synthetic stock with marine coat finish I was able to get one for $348.00 but due to many other irons in the fire have done nothing with it.

I am planing to get started in two weeks and was wondering if any one has shot this rifle as it is from factory it weights in at 6 3/4 pounds.

I rarely use factory ammo so I'm getting all supples together to reload was planning to use GS Custom 200gr hv but was thinking that I would use a 235gr hot core to get used to rifle a lot cheaper has anyone used either of these bullets?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the additional weight and improved ergs of a Boyds Heritage would be $$ well spent this particular rifle/cartridge combination.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that the additional weight and improved ergs of a Boyds Heritage would be $$ well spent this particular rifle/cartridge combination.

+ many!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Bo ding ton used one

I was able to ask him some questions about it ( surprisingly he is on Facebook quite a bit and is usually very quick to reply to fans questions)

I asked him about the gun and he actually was pretty impressed with it

He actually killed a polar bear with it. Not sure I would want to trust one on such an expensive hunt in such a harsh environment, but it obviously worked...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Shawn54
I rarely use factory ammo so I'm getting all supples together to reload was planning to use GS Custom 200gr hv but was thinking that I would use a 235gr hot core to get used to rifle a lot cheaper has anyone used either of these bullets?

These should work for "get used to rifle".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...rain-round-nose-box-of-100-bulk-packaged

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
One thing I LOVE about this rifle, the Howa, the Savages, and now the various Ruger models is the SUCCESS of the 375 Ruger round! laugh laugh laugh

To all those blue-noses who panned it and actually got angry about its very existence, thumbing my nose at you!!

[Linked Image]

Congratulations to Ruger and to the arms makers smart enough to recognize a winner.

The .375 was the only one of the Ruger magnums that made any real sense. I've got no use for anything that big, but it's a fine design, sure to stand the test of time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it start to show up in Europe (once the Brexit whining stops) among the elg and boar crowd that like big 'uns.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
S
I am replacing a 35 Whelen which my son wants real bad I like to be different as far as what I shoot and when I saw this cartridge I just had to have it. It doesn't need to be run full bore.

The Boyd's stock looks like the way to go I will look into that in the future.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bud's had a 375 Ruger Marine Coat/Laminate w/sights listed this afternoon...fergot to note the price but was surprised to see the listing...but lots more cheaper than a CZ 9.3x62 last time I looked at GB.

Mossy Home Page lists them at 7 1/4lbs as I recall...umuuhh that's gonna hurt to pull the trigger.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
S
S
I did see that at Buds is about a pound heavier than the one I got I have been searching the net and finding very little info given by any one who has shot the patriot. Either no one has one or they are are so bad that they don't want to admit it. I'm starting to see a little time coming my way and components are showing up also so I guess I'll be the one that shares info.

Lots of info on Rugers but the net is quite Mossbergs

B
B
I hate to drag up old threads like this one but I have got my hands on one plastic stock marinecote put a cheap set of scope rings on it and with 15 shots destroyed both rings and back base never use cheap rings on heavy recoil rifles. Replaced rings and bases with Talley light weights. Loaded 5 rounds and went to range and was rewarded with 1st shot 8" high and after adjusting scope a 4 shot group less than a inch.
This rifle is a keeper. There is very little information on the Internet about this rifle so I figured I would chime in. If anyone has experience with this combination please let me know what you have found.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
And bumping thread to find out how the rifle is shooting and if you shot anything with it yet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Bud's has lam/marinecote - $446 Walnut - $396 Plastic - $311 Cheap enough to try and would be fun to load down/ load cast for deer size critters.

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I saw the first article on this Mossberg Patriot in .375 Ruger, it struck me as a good candidate to play around with.

Back in 1974 I read an article on the .375 Epstein Magnum, a wildcat based on the .375 H&H case (Rifle Magazine #35 - September 1974). It is basically a .338 Winchester Magnum body with a 0.465" long neck for .375" dia. bullets. The case OAL is 2.605" or about 0.025" longer than the Ruger. The Ruger neck is 0.272" shorter than the Epstein. All in all, the Ruger and Epstein are about equal, with the former being a rimless case and the latter a belted case. Being young and entirely stupid, I had to have one.

So I bought an Interarms Mark X magnum action and drove up to RCBS Sportsman Store in Oroville, California. Turned it over to Tom Miller their gunsmith, and ordered it barreled and a set of dies. He used a Shilen CM barrel cut to 26". They also made the forming die set and reloading die set, that cost $77.00 prompting an apology for the expense!

When it came back I sent it up to Grants Pass, Oregon, where the late C.P. Donnelly crafted a stock. He charged $240.00 for the stock. (Loved those 1974 prices)

[Linked Image]

Loaded a range of cartridges for it, settling on the Hornady 270 grain Spire Point over 79 grains of IMR 4350, which passed over the chronograph at 2,754 fps, developing 4,565 ft lbs of energy. I never tried anything hotter because as it was, recoil slid the stool I sat on back a little every shot. I thought it might make a great elk rifle, but then I never managed to go elk hunting. Now of course I'm too old and patched together to consider such a thing. Still, I have a great rifle, but the .375 Ruger would offer the same performance without forming, trimming, reaming and sizing brass. So at the price of the Mossberg, I'll look for one. If you want a .375 Magnum of one sort or another, don't pass one up. I found the Epstein to be very accurate, often grouping ten shots right at one MOA - and only requiring a couple of Tylenol to quell the concussion headache. May try some .375" cast bullets from Beartooth Bullets in some more sensible loads, why it might even be fun!

B
B
Sorry I didn't get back sooner I have not taken any game yet "bear season starts on November 19 here".
But I have kill a lot of paper the rifle does not like a clean bore for sure first shot is a flyer after that it gets down to business I'm shooting a GS Custom 200gr HV bullet at 3213fps and I can get them under dime sized group if I do my part it will do 1" all day.
And I didn't have to play with the loading at all it just shoots well.
If you have any questions I'll try to give you answers if I can tracking down info for this combo is like finding big foot as an other poster put it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shoots good, how does if feed/function? May buy one just for grins but I would load it down to a nice 2500 fps with a 270 grain RN, All I need.

Last edited by Palidun; 11/14/16.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
B
First mag that came with gun worked great ordered a second to have a spare my biggest fear is that I catch mag release on brush and loose it.
Second mag would throw last round out of the action onto the floor it had to much spring tension opened mag it had twice the spring other one did. I cut it off and now works great.
Feeding is good until you try to work it as fast as you can. If you work it from shoulder it fine if you have it down in front of you and go as fast as you can it may jam.

But all considered it is a great rifle in my book.

Shawn

Last edited by BigNasty; 11/14/16. Reason: Spelling
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.