Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Photos are of a LC Smith Field Featherweight in 20 gauge. What can the experts tell me? What would you think would be a fair price?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Made in the mid-1930's, probably '35 or '36. If it is factory original finish on the metal (and it appears to be), then it was obviously pampered. I was really liking what I was seeing, and starting to ponder a query as to availability, when I enlarged the bottom pic and saw how the butt stock was frahunzed. Too bad someone did that. Value is now as a shooter, unfortunately, and to realize that function a stock man will have to reverse that odd alteration IMO. The butt plate angle now throws the dynamics of stock fit out of kilter, again IMO.

Value? Wouldn't say. Too many unknowns: Were the barrels cut? Does it work? Ejectors or extractors? Were the chokes monkeyed with? Cracks in the stock? Was the stock cut in addition to the funky add-on? Etc., etc.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/28/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Appreciate that. It is local to me. Supposedly unaltered other than the buttstock. I have a good guy close who could clean that up with a period pad for $100 bucks but wanted to know how much that would knock off the price. Guy is asking $1400. I would only consider something close to that if it is IC/mod which I am unsure of at this point. If the buttstock was unaltered I have seen them go close to 2k in this condition.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pricing seems to be in the ball park then. I would feel better at a few hundred less due to the stock alteration. Mind you, after correcting that with a pad it'll still be worth a fraction of what it would be if it were as it came from the factory. $2000 would've been accurate 6-8 years ago, but the market has softened. Unfortunately, sellers only see what they want to see. Bottom line: pay what you're comfy with.

Don't fret if it's choked mod/full. 90% of them were. If that's an issue for you, either wait a beat before pulling the trigger at a bird or target, or use spreader appliances in your shells. I always tell people to work with their guns a bit to see if tight chokes really are the detriment they think they are, before cutting steel. My favorite skeet gun, aside from my Anschutz/Miroku 28ga. O/U, is a 20-bore Smith gun* choked mod/full, 28" barrels. I stick X-Streme Spreaders in my shot charges and don't feel handicapped in the slightest.

* LC Smith collectors rarely, if ever, call their guns "Elsies". To them it is a Smith gun.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/28/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For several reasons I am suspicious of the finish being original... I think it is not. The dings on the tables concern me, too. Could they be rust pits cleaned up and recolorcasehardened?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Yeh I was also thinking that the case color was too good but I have seen originals for sale that are that good. Either way I took the plunge on a beretta gr2 SXS off of shotgun world. It's IC/mod with pow grip. I'm stoked to get it in.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For several reasons I am suspicious of the finish being original... I think it is not. The dings on the tables concern me, too. Could they be rust pits cleaned up and recolorcasehardened?

This. And, how much did they take off the stock? Lengthening is really hard to do nicely.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'd suggest doing some shooting with it before you have the butt 'repaired'. Looks like a slice was added to get some more up-pitch. If it were mine, I'd give it a good try-out on clay birds and live game birds before having anything done. Never know, you might, possibly, like it that way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Yeh I was also thinking that the case color was too good but I have seen originals for sale that are that good. Either way I took the plunge on a beretta gr2 SXS off of shotgun world. It's IC/mod with pow grip. I'm stoked to get it in.

Should be an outstanding choice!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.