Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not for the Indy.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Is 541 yards long range?

P

It's longer than my longest which was 527 on a rockchuck. Hit it in the rump and exited under the chin with a Savage .223 firing seventy-five grain A-Max.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
For a 22 LR it is.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
It all depends on the individual and their capabilities. There will always be someone bigger and better and those who will scoff at whatever ya say as if it is childs play. Keep shooting, keep working to get better. Ya dont always need to compare yourself to other people. If it is a lot farther than you have taken game before and ya did it successfully and intelligently than kudos!

Something about the indian and the arrow...
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It depends on shooter's ability, caliber/bullet selection, game involved, terrain involved and assuming the shooter is not too lazy (unethical) to check for a possibly wounded(bigger animals don't always show sign of a hit) animal. It is our responsibility as hunters/sportsman to determine what is "too" long!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Target shooters came up with these definitions a long time ago, so I use them.For non formal target shooters the lines are blurry.

Short range is zero to 300. Basically point blank.

Midrange is 300-600. You won't win any matches being sloppy but you can land some good hits without an advanced degree in wind reading. You can probably read the velocity out of the manual, or side of the box, scratch your nuts a couple of times and not embarrass yourself too badly. The running joke amoung those who shoot at my little private range is you can take just about anything worth shooting that is zeroed at 100 yards; dial 8 minutes of elevation, aim at the windy side of my 500 yard rectangular plate and hit it somewhere.Its faster than setting up the chronograph.

Long range is over 600. You better start doing a lot of things right starting with believing those 500 yard results.

Some toss in an ELR at over 1000.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It's just about at the limit for my Sheridan Blue Streak. I think I could push it beyond that if it had a scope. laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Is 541 yards long range?

For90% of hunters and their equipment, and under actual hunting conditions, the answer is Yes. Especially for a first shot kill.

P

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is 541 yards long range?

P

On a live animal under field conditions?

Yes.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/08/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
For me and my current scopes it is.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
There would be no hard rules to follow on this.
It could in fact be a very long shot even for an experienced shooter given poor shooting conditions.
But then the experienced shooter would be apt to pass on those shots.
With the proper equiptment however, shots at that distance and beyond are far easier, even for the less than the best of shooters.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is 541 yards long range?

P

It's folly to apply standard 'range' terminology to hunting. BobNH is correct.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Yes.

I agree with this. Prepare for this "long range" shot, but try to get closer. I have a 7mag that is dialed in for 500 with no issue and I killed an antelope yesterday at 160ish. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont buy into the live animal thing or field conditions thing. You are either practiced/capable of the shot or you are not. Heartbeats don't direct bullets.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can shoot eggs at 600 yards. My longest deer kill is 626 yards. No coincidence. But I very much enjoy the challenge of getting a whole lot closer....

Last edited by 2muchgun; 10/09/16.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's how I look at it,

If you are having to make accurate range determinations, and make calculated corrections for drop/windage, you are applying the fundamentals of long range shooting.

If you are close enough to be within the PBR of your weapon, that's close range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I dont buy into the live animal thing or field conditions thing. You are either practiced/capable of the shot or you are not. Heartbeats don't direct bullets.....

Bull shidt.

You just firmly established your BG hunting experience .. Thanks. It's what I suspected.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/09/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Yes.

I agree with Bob. You almost have to have the ability to read the animal as well as the wind, along with setting up for the shot. My longest shot on a mulie buck was 700 yards. 1 bullet through the heart and the buck went down without a hitch. Rifle was an extremely accurate 7mm rem mag model 70 "hunting rifle" using "hunting" bullets. Rifle was set up with a "proven" scope that tracked excellent and practiced at that range and beyond. 1 shot/ 1 kill. 2 years earlier and I did the same thing with a 300 WSM at 600 yards... To answer the OP's question: Yes, I believe 541 yards is long range on a live game animal. No question about it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bull shidt.

You just firmly established your BG hunting experience .. Thanks. It's what I suspected.

LMAO. I will go tell the 2 Boone and Crockett deer on my wall and the rest too.

You say some really dumb $hit sometimes Bob.

Heartbeats don't direct bullets........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Distance is distance. A long shot on a pie plate is a long shot on a critter.

Of course I am sure you have read into it and overcomplicated matters.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know a lot of BG hunters with world wide experience. Some post here.

Not a single one regards a 500 yard+ shot at an unwounded BG animal as anything other than a "long shot".None of them take it lightly.

John Burns said on here quite a while back, that, among honest men, 500 yards is a long shot.

When I hear someone say that 500 yards is a chip shot without regard to the field conditions he's faced with, I suspect he has not done all that much BG hunting.

That you have killed two B&C whitetails tells me you are lucky and not much else.

Since you think that 500 yards is such a chip shot at an unwounded BG animal, I assume you've killed quite a few elk, mule deer,and other western mountain game at over 500 yards?

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/09/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dammit Bob.

My hands are half covered in blood from dragging a deer right now. So is my phone now, thanks to you grin

As I stated, you are obviously reading into things. Where did I say it wasn't a long shot? Where did I call it a chip shot?

What I said was one is either practiced at said distance/conditions, or they are not. I gotta go.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I get it. We don't need to take anything into consideration on 500 yard shots at unwounded BG animals.They are as mundane and routine as 200 yard shots I suppose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wow, I didn't mean to start a ruckus. That's the Internet, I guess.

I practice a lot, out to 600 yards. That's a looong way to me. Tuesday 10/4 I took my longest ever shot on an animal, 541 yards. We were hunting mule deer in an alfalfa field and that's as close as I could get. One shot, 140 Partition, 7mm-08. Broke the right scapula going in, double lung, busted the left shoulder knuckle (dang it) on the way out, did not recover the bullet.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great job! You knew this was coming....got pics?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I get it. We don't need to take anything into consideration on 500 yard shots at unwounded BG animals.They are as mundane and routine as 200 yard shots I suppose.

In my opinion long range starts at 600 yards. Distance doesn't nessecarily define difficulty of the shot. I remember I was unable to hold still enough (at 100 yards) to keep a 6X6 bull elk in my scope because I was so winded. I took an antelope with one shot at 777 yards with no problem.
What ever distance one chooses to define long range is only one aspect of the equation n

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get it. We don't need to take anything into consideration on 500 yard shots at unwounded BG animals.They are as mundane and routine as 200 yard shots I suppose

I never said that either. Not sure why that is the impression you got. Anyway, If I was practiced and familiar with my rifle and at target shooting
at 541 yds. then I would thake the shot. Like I said earlier, I was well practiced at 600 and killed one at 626.

To me, yeah, I would have to call that a long shot. Being as it is about as far as I would ever care to shoot at a game animal.

It is my opinion, and my opinion only, but after 500-600 yds, things start to get a whole lot "sportier" in terms of wind and such. Plus, I have more fun trying to get close, and will not take a questionable shot at an animal. But there are others who will shoot much further than that. Like John Burns and his game wounding buddies......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is my opinion, and my opinion only, but after 500-600 yds, things start to get a whole lot "sportier" in terms of wind and such. Plus, I have more fun trying to get close, and will not take a questionable shot at an animal. But there are others who will shoot much further than that. Like John Burns and his game wounding buddies......

Some can do it. Glad you realize your pay-grade...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

IMHO it's not so much what you're shooting at (animal vs steel) (although a big buck or bull would make a difference) but more about the time you have to prepare and the stability of your shooting position. With steel, you have plenty of time and normally a good platform to get situated just how you want.

Not so much with improvised field positions on the side of a mountain or on a cactus-filled prairie with an animal that's not interested in staying put.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

In my opinion long range starts at 600 yards. Distance doesn't nessecarily define difficulty of the shot. I remember I was unable to hold still enough to keep a 6X6 bull elk in my scope because I was so winded. I took an antelope with one shot at 777 yards with no problem.
What ever distance one chooses to define long range is only one aspect of the equation n

True. The distance isn't the only factor but some folks don't understand the,especially those who have never done it. There are a lots of other factors involved in taking or passing a 541 yard shot.

Is it 'long range"? Of course it is.

Human error at 540 yards is greater than at 240, a lot more to consider in terms of wind drift (which may be different in velocity and direction, than it is at 240), position and location of animal, time of day, likelihood of immediate recovery, distance of animal from screening cover and the opportunity for follow up shots if required...lots of variables, and if they don't take these things into consideration, dealing ONLY with the "distance is distance" mentality, Im sorry.....

They don't have a clue what they are doing.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Is 541 yards long range?

P

For here in Wyoming, yesterday, it's a chip shot , no wind ,good light clear but not bright.
For today here a 350 yard shot would be long range, foggy ,switching, swirling winds 15-45 mph with sharp drop offs.
Depending on experience, practice level and atmospheric conditions " Long Range" varies.
Just my humble opinion.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't. Pardon my long having been afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Firstly,one simply MUST have the mechanical means,to arrange POA/POI and ALL reliably miss that constant. Hint.

Secondly,not all chamberings/boolits are equal in their requisite needs,at a given distance,in regards to trajectory/windage corrections. Re-hint.

Thirdly,most here are guessing WILDLY at best and "own" neither the skillset or tools to arrange something sooooooooooo fhuqking pedestrian at it's "worst". I'd surmise that only half the audience can clap their hands,on a first try. Hint.

Now for the coupla astute gents that savvy and are insulted with this asinine conjencture,I feel your fhuqking PAIN,with this Drooling Dumbfhuqkery and am rather ate ease in illustrating the "impossible".

Let's start/stop with 22LR and nothing much over the 550yd line,if only for conversation. We'll not "dabble" atmospheric conditions(that much),ammo "selections",barrel tuners or gunning that "many" lots of ammo. Then again...

One should muse erector latitude/accuracy. Hint.

Track Record RINK

550yds+ with a 22LR.

Pardon The Splendor

Gunning new Lots of ammo for R&D at the 100yd line.

In the .3's

Don't be too "surprised".

Fhuqk SK

Norma MATCH Rocks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not too tough to gun clay birds at the 500yd line with a 22LR,via the gent with a clue. Few can begin to savvy that which is possible,with good riggin' and a skillstet to match.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is 541 yards long range?

P

no

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are two basic sets of individuals that use rifles; shooters and hunters....and there is much difference betwixt the two types. Hunters don't normally go through thousands of rounds a year like shooters do therefore they are less inclined to have conquered the skill sets necessary to hit the longer range targets. Some individuals are blessed with the fact that they are hunters and shooters and are highly capable of making the longer shots! Just because the necessary skills have been acquired and are utilized oft times on a weekly or daily basis does not mean that the more adept individuals should attempt the longer shots. CONDITIONS & CIRCUMSTANCES dictate whether or not a shot should be made and if an individual doesn't have enough commonsense to ascertain these 'go-no go' situations it would be best if they stayed home and went bowling!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Yes.

Not all the time... but as Rick notes, its shot to shot and having the ability to know when or when not to is important.

I've said it before, I've seen some conditions when I'd have a hard time convincing myself to shoot at 200 yards condition wise.

There are other times when 1000 is a gimme.

Assuming a few other things...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
1,000 a gimme. Damn you're good.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
1,000 a gimme. Damn you're good.

Probably that, as well as being prepared by doing his homework

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Yes.

Not all the time... but as Rick notes, its shot to shot and having the ability to know when or when not to is important.

I know that part....which is why I simply answered "yes".

We shouldn't have to explain that to anyone with any shooting experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will go tell the 2 Boone and Crockett deer on my wall and the rest too.

Would love to see picts of those deer. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Yes.

I agree Bob. I passed on a shot the other day. Buck was at 500 yards, but it was a little windy in the Gorge and I wasn't set up right. I was also using a rifle and scope combo that was more set-up for dark timber hunting. I passed on the shot that day and shot that same buck 3 days later... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is 541 yards long range?

P

Yes.

I'm really inspired by the courage Bob has to try to float a simple, common sense answer on the LR forum. cool

Keep it up there buddy!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.