Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My daughter and I have been hunting antelope for a few days now. We'd gotten on several bucks that wouldn't hold still for long enough. After a few times of taking too long to shoot I encouraged my daugther that she was going to have to shoot one of these times. Especially with deer and elk coming up. You can't just walk over the hill and find 6 more buck deer or bull elk like we usually can with antelope.

I got a little lecture back from her. Something about she'd rather not shoot than make a bad shot. Who does she think she is anyway.

This afternoon we finally got on a herd that didn't have a clue we were there. They were a little far at just under 300, but my daughter was prone and she kills prairie dogs at that distance with this very rifle. It's a M70 22-250 with 64 grain Noslers. I cut a cheaper stock down for her since she's a little short and needs a short lop.

There were two bucks and several does. Both bucks were up on a rock pile. She dumped him with one shot. I told her to reload and stay on him.

But he was done. Little brother and ruby were along too. My son really had fun dissecting the buck. Including cutting open the heart and seeing the chambers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats Ralphie. That is awesome!

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's a great buck!

Public landowner...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats, to you and your daughter. Also really good pictures, especially the picture with little brother, and your dog! Family is what it's all about. Congrats again. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/07/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congrats, priceless pbotos, and a nice buck. And you got a lecture to boot!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool! Congratulations all around!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is way cool. Nice buck. Congrats to your daughter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! Great pictures as well, and really nice buck - looks like he's got some extra "kickers" on his horns - good stuff!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great lope! Lots of character too! You and your daughter should be proud! Good job dad!

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That right there is what it's all about,congrats to you and the young lady.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rong
That right there is what it's all about,congrats to you and the young lady.

Plus 1. Well done, good on her!

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great buck and looks like he might have a little age on him. Nice going lady,

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awesome antelope and awesome shot. Congrats to all!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wow! Well done! Congrats to all!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ralphie
My daughter and I have been hunting antelope for a few days now. We'd gotten on several bucks that wouldn't hold still for long enough. After a few times of taking too long to shoot I encouraged my daugther that she was going to have to shoot one of these times. Especially with deer and elk coming up. You can't just walk over the hill and find 6 more buck deer or bull elk like we usually can with antelope.

I got a little lecture back from her. Something about she'd rather not shoot than make a bad shot. Who does she think she is anyway.

This afternoon we finally got on a herd that didn't have a clue we were there. They were a little far at just under 300, but my daughter was prone and she kills prairie dogs at that distance with this very rifle. It's a M70 22-250 with 64 grain Noslers. I cut a cheaper stock down for her since she's a little short and needs a short lop.

There were two bucks and several does. Both bucks were up on a rock pile. She dumped him with one shot. I told her to reload and stay on him.

But he was done. Little brother and ruby were along too. My son really had fun dissecting the buck. Including cutting open the heart and seeing the chambers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

for certain there are a lot of great posts on the campfire about successful hunts, and i enjoy seeing them.

that set forth, this one is a favorite--the young gal very handily scoring on the critter, the younger boy along for the experience and support--even checking out the heart, and the dog along too.

in addition, her desire to hold out until feeling good about the shot--all great stuff.

i really enjoy the idea that you have set her up with--in my opinion--one of the best deer or antelope cartridges to come down the pike. doing so in a model 70--it appears to be stainless--makes it all the better. i like the way you evidently kept the stock intact, yet temporarily outfit her with a useful stock configured in a suitable length of pull at this point in her adventures.

while i've used the .224 Nosler solid base pill on big game as far back as the 1970's, i've no experience with the bonded 64 grain pill you used here. while i advocate shooting behind the shoulder with .22 cf, it's just a guess--but i'd figure that pill could quite handily go through the shoulder of an antelope, even at that distance. i would imagine that the pill went on through to places unknown, so likely no way to post a pic of just what the spent pill looked like...

that experience will be one for the memory bank.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ralphie;
Good morning to you sir, thanks so much for sharing the family hunt story and photos with us.

Please pass along congratulations to your daughter on that nice looking pronghorn. Very cool always to see the next generation of hunters afield and making winter's meat.

I will send you a tip of the hat as well for making sure the hunt took place. Well done sir.

Both photos by the way, are to me about as perfect for "trophy photos" as one will ever get. cool

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours this fall Ralphie.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty cool. Sounds like your daughter put you in your place. grin

Good-lookin' youngsters you've got there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.